Gerrard post match

There’s not a lot he can do, he can’t lambast the players after every game.

The narrative on here is more concerning than the performance. He’s done exceptionally well since coming in with some great highlights - got us to the Europa league beating really good teams that we shouldn’t have beat (in all honesty) and beating the tims comfortably. We’ve improved significantly since the last two years where we’d be expecting a 4-5 goal thumping from Timothy.

What do you want to do? Sack him and overhaul the squad for the 3rd year in a row? It’s utter madness.

He clearly struggles against decent teams who sit in - we’ve seen better rangers teams do similar. It’s the old adage it’s easier to defend than score. And to be fair, some of the results this season have been significantly unlucky due to piss finishing and unreal refereeing decisions.

Folk need to get a grip on themselves and stick with it. He’s learning and needs a bit of time to sort it out.

He doesn't have the players to play 3-5-2, 4-5-1 or 4-4-2?

Bollocks.

McGregor
Goldson Worrall Katić
Tavernier________________________Barišić
McCrorie Kamara
Kent
Defoe Morelos

McGregor
Tavernier Goldson Katić Barišić
Candeias Davis McCrorie Kamara Kent
Morelos

McGregor
Tavernier Worrall Katić Halliday
Davis McCrorie Kamara Kent
Morelos Defoe

It’s not football manager mate

Nope. Not having it.

I'm still backing Gerrard to turn it around next season and honestly believe he'll be the manager who secures us 55.

But that interview is complete bollocks. That first half display was utterly disgusting and I had to talk myself into staying for the 2nd half, and I never ever even contemplate leaving before the final whistle.

I was expecting him to lambast that first half display and use some harsh words with it.

Can't believe he almost praised that performance there aside from the goal we lost!!?

Am outta here, need a cold can of juice.

Once again it was performance of two halves - first absolute crap and the second more encouraging but still a bit crap !

It’s not football manager mate

It's a football forum for discussion.

In real life we continue with the same bullshit that's doesn't get us wins, the same set up, formation, tactics and game plan that the opposition know how to hurt - we have no answers and are not prepared to change.

Tactically weak, naive and inept.

And our excuse, the opposition are negative, up for games and play negative football.

Remember when we got to Manchester and people (non Rangers supporters) moaned about our negative style of play - not a single Ranger gave a %^*&.

Steve Clarke probably predicted our tactics and formation before a ball was kicked. He knee we wouldn't change our ways and he got a result against us again.

This is simple in my mind. Get behind the manager. A lot of the football is decent. The current attacking players are not good enough apart from Morelos, but the budget has been pennies. He is the right man at this time. We'll see 4 or 5 additions in the summer and lets go for it.

The addition of two or three key players could make all the difference !

As Walter said ..Just win .Then of course the microscope and the hysteria dont have to be faced up .
Look i think the guy is smart and a first class ambassador for the club and regardless of anything else there is no way on earth we can afford any other option in any case .My hunch is he can turn it round ..at least this year we closed the financial gulf a wee bit between us and the Savilles ..we gubbed them ..will finish second and had our European run .
We brush ourselves down and go again 100% behind the current manager.

Totally off base. We were lucky not to be 2-0 down at half time, the 2nd chance was bottled by their player. Easily carved through. The 2nd half was better, yes. But it was not only 1 bad goal, it was poor play all around.

I have no idea why people are upset that he says the same thing after a bad scoreline.
What do we expect him to say? Player A is awful? Player B&C will never play for us again? We've given up? Ibrox is closing next week? What has to be said and what will be done won't take place in front of a TV camera.
Like pre-match pressers, most of this is a waste of time filled with inane comments and questions. It's done to create views and sponsorship ads. You'll never learn anything from these clips so the content is best taken with a pinch of salt.
Post match interviews are good for one thing; a gloatfest when things go your way.
The guy was HAPPILY given three years a few months back and now his formations are all wrong but no one knows what the correct one is. His subs are wrong or wrongly timed, yet he subs on 60 minutes today and it doesn't get a win, so that's out the window too. His assistant manager is wrong. His assistant, assistant's manager is wrong. His defensive midfield needs to play 4 inches to the right. Jeez.
On paper we are little better off than last season, but on paper we should be better than we are. So, on paper means nothing. There is progress. If you are fixated on TIAR that success might not come fast enough for you. I'm firmly looking at 55 and we are closer now than we were a year ago.

The problem with his post-match interviews is they have too often been what we want to hear, but at the same time throwing the players under the bus. I think he is trying to stop that and go easy on them before the septic game.

If the gaffer thinks that home performance (while still an outside chance of winning the league and putting pressure on Celtic) is “nearly alright” then i really do fear for him.
That first half performance was easily one if the worst i have witnessed from us in a long long time, square passes, no imagination, no players desperate to get in the box... no winning mentality.

Sick of retreading the same old ground and repeating myself after every game and all bears feel the same.

This season has been the gaffers learning curve (i was on record at the time as not being on the Stevie G express and thought at the time it was too big a gamble but have supported him to the hilt since he was brought in) next season he must have the players in place to win the league, to beat the Hibs, Kilmarnocks and Aberdeens of the world consistently and go toe to toe with Celtic or he will not see Summer 2020.

Reluctantly I agree but he has enough in the bank to at least be given the whole of next season to win a cup .

The problem with his post-match interviews is they have too often been what we want to hear, but at the same time throwing the players under the bus. I think he is trying to stop that and go easy on them before the septic game.
Maybe so, but overall they are meaningless. Media fluff. You can't use them to gauge anything.

It’s like Groundhog Day with these interviews....

Mark Warburton Mark 2. Doesn’t get that we MUST stop the scum doing 9 and in my view with the current squad and manager that will not happen. How many times do we play Hibs Aberdeen and Kilmarnock and watch the same movie? Three bang average teams who defend well and close down space leaving the Rangers players who can’t hurt them possession in areas that can’t threaten them? I mean it’s that simple! Gerrard won’t be here next Christmas in my view.

It's a football forum for discussion.

In real life we continue with the same bullshit that's doesn't get us wins, the same set up, formation, tactics and game plan that the opposition know how to hurt - we have no answers and are not prepared to change.

Tactically weak, naive and inept.

And our excuse, the opposition are negative, up for games and play negative football.

Remember when we got to Manchester and people (non Rangers supporters) moaned about our negative style of play - not a single Ranger gave a %^*&.

Steve Clarke probably predicted our tactics and formation before a ball was kicked. He knee we wouldn't change our ways and he got a result against us again.

By using the same kind of tactics that got us to Manchester

Do you want rid?

I don’t think he’s got what it takes to deliver 55 based on what I’ve seem domestically this season so I wouldn’t complain if he went. He won’t though. Listen, I hope he proves me wrong, but I’m not confident he will. I like him as a guy and he speaks well but he doesn’t learn from his mistakes and that worries me massively.

He is holding a lot back in that interview. I stand with him, and I'll do that throughout his time here, but his head is down and this could well be the hardest time he's ever had in football. The manager aspect of football is one I'm not at ease with; quite possibly it's one of the most demanding roles in life, never mind in football. If he's got anything about him as a manager at this level we're possobly going to find that out in the next six months at the very most. What a job this is, but only of you win; watching it not going well is very uncomfortable.

That sounded like a guy trying to go easy on his players after another shite performance because his previous attempts at putting a rocket up their arses in these interviews hasn’t yielded the desired effect.

A lot of unconvincing turd-polishing throughout and just going through the motions of yet another generic post-match interview after a disappointment.

I think he’s resigned to the fact he’s not got the players he needs and knows he’s looking to the summer now.

In Scottish football the one thing imo that is needed more than anything is the ability to compete physically in the midfield. When we beat that mob at the end of December we absolutely dominated them in the middle of the park. We were able to do that because our manager selected players in our midfield who were fully capable of doing so. It is not coincidental imo that when Ross McCrorie is selected we usually comprehensively win the midfield battles. I genuinely think that a big part of the solution to our problems lies in the selection of McCrorie in midfield. I wish our managerial team would see what a lot of supporters think is obvious.

Everything is always black or white - yes it’s frustrating but it’s an evolution not a revolution we just can’t expect any manager to come in and make everything in the garden rosy - yes we have some money - this year it could’ve been - it’s been a long time since we’ve said that - some more quality in the final third and one ore two in the defensive areas and we’ll
be good - give the guy some slack ffs

He really needs to have a good summer in terms of recruitment. I am still 100 percent behind him as I still believe he will take us to where we want to be.

I hope to God I am right because I really want things to work out with Gerrard as manager.

Whatever line he takes he gets stick on here if we drop points.The amount of store people give to pressers and post-match interviews would be comical if it didn’t result in post after post of melodramatic drivel.

The manager deserves criticism today for picking the same malfunctioning front three that has let him down in just about every big game this season and let him down again on Tuesday. He also deserves criticism for not calling out refs that are cheating his team. His demeanour in post-match interviews is the least of our worries.

I don’t think he’s got what it takes to deliver 55 based on what I’ve seem domestically this season so I wouldn’t complain if he went. He won’t though. Listen, I hope he proves me wrong, but I’m not confident he will. I like him as a guy and he speaks well but he doesn’t learn from his mistakes and that worries me massively.
He is learning, he needs time, we are rebuilding and can't keep changing every season when things don't go as we want them. If we are sat here this time next season in the same position I'm with you but the guy needs a good go at it

What worries me is the way guys like Middleton and McCrorie have been treated - bombed out with no real reason,their confidence possibly damaged. Similar with Katic earlier in the season. i Just feel the chance to build squad unity has been squandered - there seems no logic to who keeps their place and who doesn’t. Weirdest one is Candeis who was ditched when playing well, but is an ever present now he’s rotten. This two week break for once is welcome - please Stevie have a break, seek advice (Is Walter free?), and start afresh.

What worries me is the way guys like Middleton and McCrorie have been treated - bombed out with no real reason,their confidence possibly damaged. Similar with Katic earlier in the season. i Just feel the chance to build squad unity has been squandered - there seems no logic to who keeps their place and who doesn’t. Weirdest one is Candeis who was ditched when playing well, but is an ever present now he’s rotten. This two week break for once is welcome - please Stevie have a break, seek advice (Is Walter free?), and start afresh.
If i remember correctly McCrorie was outstanding in his last start for us and the gaffer said the jersey is his now to lose...has he started a game since? (apologise if he was injured) but it's statements like this that frusrate the hell out of me, Ross should have been in for Coulibaly today.

Hopefully the bipolar world of follow follow will be on a high again in a couple of weeks.

Keyboard warrior loyal - I bet some of the messages were pre typed before the game started.

Long way to go on the SG Express but I’m still hanging on!
I dont think anybody pre typed messages.
That game today was rank,more worrying is the majority of the players couldnt lift themselves after the shocker on tuesday.

In Scottish football the one thing imo that is needed more than anything is the ability to compete physically in the midfield. When we beat that mob at the end of December we absolutely dominated them in the middle of the park. We were able to do that because our manager selected players in our midfield who were fully capable of doing so. It is not coincidental imo that when Ross McCrorie is selected we usually comprehensively win the midfield battles. I genuinely think that a big part of the solution to our problems lies in the selection of McCrorie in midfield. I wish our managerial team would see what a lot of supporters think is obvious.
The teams we are struggling against don't contest the midfield That is the problem,they put 5 across the back and 4 in front ,let our centre backs and midfielders have the ball and say "Right let's see you break us down".Only StPats contest the midfield in an attacking sense and that suits McCrorie.But asking McCrorie to get on the ball and break down a packed defence is futile

Zzzzzzzzz........

I’m genuinely worried . Love the man , but his heads gone .

Dare I say it some guidance from someone like Walter wouldn’t go amiss right now .
I'd prefer him to Gary Mac,no disrespect but I think he's too much of a nice guy. I hope he takes advice from him,who better.

Not sure what else he can say.

He knows where the problems are I think, the problem is they were the same problems as months ago, the area between midfield and attack, the over relience on Morelos, I am not being overly dramatic here, but if Morelos wasn't about (like alot wanted, I remember the Sell alfie and bring in Cumdog throbbers) then Gerrard wouldn't be in a job right now.

The next window, and the opening 10 league games are absolutely crucial for us and his managerial career, that is barring any absolute hidings between now and the end of the season or even a run of bad defeats.
Your first line covers it.
He can’t win.
Blames the players and he’s “throwing them under a bus”.
Tries not to and the super clever ones moan at this as well.

This mong doing the interviews needs told or a word in his war at least.

Aye ya clown he’s delighted Alfredo scored/the way he took his goal is a positive.

Nothing is positive about drawing with Kilmarnock after going out the Scottish cup over 2 legs with the sheep, turned it off.

Absolute f*cking moron of a man.

He has the second best squad in the league but they aren't much better than the third, fourth or fifth teams. That is a management issue that he alone needs to fix.

He knows the seasons done and he’s starting to realise that the team he has are not upto it.

Genuinely don’t think in just we need to worry to much about defence. It’s a whole midfield we require as none of them seem to know how to attack

I 100% know he’s the right man for the job but he needs a good clear out in the summer.

He has the second best squad in the league but they aren't much better than the third, fourth or fifth teams. That is a management issue that he alone needs to fix.

Absolutely spot on. 2 wins in 14 vs Kilmarnock, Hibs and Aberdeen speaks volumes. Too many excuses being given for Gerrard - the fact is out the 11 players starting yesterday - 7 were his signings and 3 subs were his also.

Back