Gerrard v Gio what was different tonight?

Less messing around at the back. You could see that Tav was determined to clear the ball rather than looking for a man to play it to.
Was definitely less messing about at the back, I get why we play out from the back but too often we would do this despite the defence being shaky and nervous, sometimes you just need to clear the ball and regroup. We would regularly play the same way from the back when u could see the defence was nervy and a loose pass would bring a ton of pressure on us

The rondos are clearly working, felt we got the ball out from under our feet under pressure more quickly and composed tonight.

Quicker into the tackles and more direct in the attack, basically doing the basics.

Clear your lines, find your man, get in the box, one touch pass and move. End result.

It was very different tbh to those who know football. Like watching a different team tbh.
Have to say I laughed at that comment cos I was tempted last night after watching man city game .. there is the evidence needed for rondos playing out of tight situations and finding your man

Changing shape to suit opposition mid game, direct full backs again, width, pressing at the right time, defenders battling, Even just listening to gio post match presser you can tell tactically he is head and shoulders knowledge wise above Gerrard. Maybe not beale but i took more from gio's 8min analysis there than the whole season of Gerrard's.

I think the fact Gerrard wanted away rubbed off on the players and he lost their buy in and hunger this season. So many were a different proposition tonight.
I’m feeling fairly convinced that SG has actually been at the root of the malaise this season after that.

I think he chucked it after the CL failure and checked out and it rubbed off on the dressing room.

“He achieved his remit” and that was that.

Gio has come in and lit the spark again. That was night and day to pretty much anything this season, bar the Celtic game, imho.

Every player found the gears to move up and looked like they wanted it.

Looking at Alfie getting a double then McGregor making those saves at the end was the most symbolic “we’re back” I think we could’ve asked for.

Two absolutely key players who have been dug shite all season instantly looked like they got their mojo back and the whole team was solid.

Special mention for Bassey. What a fcking performance from the lad. Absolute powerhouse and delighted for him. He looked buzzing at the end going off. Had a tremendous evening.

first of all we clearly pressed higher than we have been recently which paid dividends. Im not entirely sure why Gerrard wasnt implementing that this season like he had done seasons before.

Starting Aribo Kent and Hagi is a must for me as often as we possibly can. they have everything, creativity, work rate and awareness to get in between the lines and create space for themselves and others.

Morelos was more direct, which suits him alot more. he still ran the channels like he used to and won free kicks.

Cant get carried away but it certainly felt more direct and we played with a little less width than we did under Gerrard.
The press was back, we played in the spaces between defenders and created great chances. Once this squad gets some work done on the training pitch we will be fine. Still switched off for a spell or two. It will come.

I think the players were given a reality check in the last few days.

The majority would be told, you will never, ever, play for a bigger club than this.
So you better take your chance.

Because after this club, the only way is down.

first of all we clearly pressed higher than we have been recently which paid dividends. Im not entirely sure why Gerrard wasnt implementing that this season like he had done seasons before.

Starting Aribo Kent and Hagi is a must for me as often as we possibly can. they have everything, creativity, work rate and awareness to get in between the lines and create space for themselves and others.

Morelos was more direct, which suits him alot more. he still ran the channels like he used to and won free kicks.

Cant get carried away but it certainly felt more direct and we played with a little less width than we did under Gerrard.
They done tonight what they should've done on Sunday,
Put in an effort,hunger,character.
Thanks Greegs. Sat open moothed in the hoose wi that double save late oan.
Well done one and all

I didn't see much different in terms of style or set-up which is understandable mid-season, and it's been a successful formula as much as everyone's decrying Gerrard now.

Looked more like a "Back to basics" message in terms of emphasising safety first in our defensive third.

Biggest difference was attitude. The determination not to concede was reminiscent of last season and that's been missing for a while. It wasn't always pretty but generally there were folk attacking crosses like they meant it, and very noticeably encouraging each other.

Up front it seemed to be a bit more direct - more runners in the channels and balls behind the defence. It might not work against packed SPL defences but it was causing Sparta problems. Alfie finding his mojo always helps. Again, nothing new but more of a reset to what we were doing earlier last season.

This is no slight on Gerrard but after Malmo I think he thought he had gone as far as he could, we got by because we had better players than the rest of the league. A new manager will give that fresh bump. The players certainly looked tonight they were willing to fight so I have no concerns going forward

One thing I saw with Gio tonight that you just didn't see with Gerrard was management and leadership during the game. He was pulling people aside and having a word with them, giving them instructions and guidance. Gerrard tended to sit and chew his jacket for most of the game then make a sub.

The tactics themselves seemed to generate a bit of urgency throughout the whole team. People seemed to have instructions on what to do and they done it. We genuinely looked more composed from the back to the front. Of course there were games under Gerrard we looked like that as well so time will of course tell but I can see a bit more management from the word go.

over the last few weeks Im leaning more to the theory that Gerrard had decided he was leaving months ago.

was just waiting on the right job coming up.

I think his main guys would have known that as well, Goldson, Tav etc
[/QUOTE

I don’t think Garrat was waiting for the right job, he was a one trick pony. His system had been worked out by second rate managers, he had nothing else to give.
Villa will be doomed in a few months, the managers in EPL are a bit smarter .. he will be out of a job quickly

There is no doubt he wants the ball moved quicker. This season under Gerrard it was frustrating how often the full back 4 had to touch the ball to get out the other side, there was absolutely a tactical shift to move the ball from right to left quicker. Morelos was also told to stay higher up the pitch with the 3 boys playing off him and David/Kamara sitting in. I thought it was much better from Borna too, he was definitely looking more mobile.

Willingness to put subs on to impact the game rather than like for like. McGregor willing to kick long from goal kicks and seeing Kent take players on down the line for a change rather than chopping inside.

Tonight the team played for Rangers not for Gerrard. His ego will prevent him from becoming a manager at a top EPL club.

Kent on the touchline scary place for a full back when Kent gets the ball 1 on 1 out wide. A lot of 1 touch play (1st goal an example) looked like a 4231 to me Aribo in the 10 was good and effective. Qualifying out this group after losing our first 2 games with a game to spare is excellent would honestly consider resting most of our starters in Lyon with Hearts at Tynecastle a couple of days after it. Time to focus on the league now till the winter break.

I don't like the comparisons!! We all know this season we were miles off it and as shocked/hurt/angry/whatever we were when Gerrard left, let's be honest, we needed a change, whether things were stale or there were issues is irrelevant, it happens and sometimes no one is to blame!! What I do know is, getting Gio will be great for us and the timing has probably done us a favour!! Amazing start and a fresh start and just the impetus, disruption even this squad and we needed!!! Not only will it kick us on and give us the initial reaction, we now have players fighting for their place, new hope!! New ideas, new tactics and training methods!! I think we would have won 56 anyway but it would have been harder than it should have!! Gio will guide us to and deliver 56, has already steered us into the last 32 or whatever they are calling it and I'm already impressed with what I've seen and the future is bright and definitely orange!!

Not so rigidly sticking to 'the system'.

Eg. bringing Patterson on and playing him in front of Tav. You'd never have seen that before.
The 'system' if there was one did bring us some tremendous euro nights and victories that we hadn't seen for 11/12 years always be grateful to SG tho I was hoping for a third to ease the last few mins and to strike up a chant of are you watching Stevie G!

Davis said it, "when to go, when not to go". That's very Dutch. How and when to break down inferior opposition.
We can't go full blast for 90 minutes even when we've got all the ball, so it's short, sharp bursts. The timing of the attacks and patterns of play, subtle changes and a much more flexible side I thought.
Gerrard was a great player, but powerful and direct. Showed in his management at times.
Gio was classier, better at playing through rather than powering through opponents.
Keep it tight enough at the back (our only real worry about a Dutch style side in Scotland) and we'll be frightening. Gio will really get the best out of our creative players imo.
Real exciting time.

What was different? Tactics tweaked and subs brought on when we needed them. Alfie told to not track back. Goldson focusing on clearing any dangerous balls. Borna appearing to be enjoying playing again.
Direct quick and forward play (i’d got so used to watching the sideways slow and turgid play)

Early days but we’ve won a watch here imo.

I’m feeling fairly convinced that SG has actually been at the root of the malaise this season after that.

I think he chucked it after the CL failure and checked out and it rubbed off on the dressing room.

“He achieved his remit” and that was that.

Gio has come in and lit the spark again. That was night and day to pretty much anything this season, bar the Celtic game, imho.

Every player found the gears to move up and looked like they wanted it.

Looking at Alfie getting a double then McGregor making those saves at the end was the most symbolic “we’re back” I think we could’ve asked for.

Two absolutely key players who have been dug shite all season instantly looked like they got their mojo back and the whole team was solid.

Special mention for Bassey. What a fcking performance from the lad. Absolute powerhouse and delighted for him. He looked buzzing at the end going off. Had a tremendous evening.

Bassey was absolutely fantastic. He will be feeling 10 feet tall right now.

I thought Glen loved that different role & had a fantastic & composed match.

I loved how after about 30 seconds if the short pass out from the back wasn't on McGregor went long. Changes the dynamic and puts more emphasis on knock downs/hold up.

This

Gerrard would have been driving up the road for the game today by all accounts.

Having a manager who hasn't checked out, and who is a serious serial winner without the bells and whistles of the "SG brand" are most probably the key factors.
Is that true and when did Gerrard start to lose interest?

Maybe the fact Gerrard was working his ticket was rubbingg off on the players ?

Or maybe the team is and always has been good and just needed a few minor tweaks.
I’ve been thinking for a while that it’s both.

I think the coaching and tactics went tae f*** months ago and Gerrard’s heart wasn’t in it any more.

A good time shouldn’t have turned so bad if there wasn’t something seriously wrong.

This was almost the same team as Sunday. What a difference.

If two words summed up the difference those two are it. It seemed at times that Gerrards team only had one way of playing at times.

I said it before, and I was all in on the Gerrard express, so this isn't bitterness talking. It was just Warburton with a bugger budget.

biggest difference in my eyes is we passed the ball faster, no take shit load of touches before passing the ball

We seemed much more organised, even in defence....but they weren't very good, were they ?
No they weren’t however they were probably better than 90% of the teams we are likely to play in Scotland.
Play with that determination every week and we win this league easy

For me Gio just oozes class. He has the Rangers dna, he doesn’t have to say it, you just feel it.

Let’s not forget Gerrard lead us into the position to qualify tonight and took us through the groups the two previous seasons.

A fantastic achievement considering where we were when he came through the door.

Gerrard is the past Gio is the future. It’s time to look forward not back.
I agree with what you're saying mate. The season before covid and this season where almost beginning to mirror each other. I understand why some people think Gerrard lost interest.

One thing hasn’t changed… we were a bomb scare at the back a few weeks ago and we are still s as bomb scare at the back.

Gio needs a couple of defenders.
Think this is more of a confidence and injury issue. That’s our first clean sheet in a while and the first saves of note mcgregor has made in a while. This will only start to bring the confidence back into the back 5

not quite as many though, I only caught 1 set of to me, to you, to me, to you between kamara and bassey.
There will still loads. How many times were we fannying about too close for comfort at the back.

The result was all that mattered and Gio will fix it but I had my heart in my mouth too many times.

We need to be quicker in transitions to stop teams getting set.

A few things.

Barasic told to do more...Tav told to do less.

Used the ball in the last third by knocking into space which worked well at times. Tried in general to move the ball quicker. A few times lines were cleared whereas before more football was tried to be played.

In the main the change worked-effort was brilliant across the board however playing like that meant giving the ball away a bit more and I do think playing SG style we would have controlled the last 15 better we struggled to adapting back to holding onto the ball.

Absolutely a great performance, great start for Gio and a great night for the club after the nightmare on Sunday.
Still way too many backwards and sideways passes but a huge change from Sunday.

Back