Gio's improvement since Braga away

Lovenkrands Dug

I was probably one of the most critical on here and I still think he has some big flaws that need working on (mainly team selection and his substitutions).

But fairplay to him, over the last 3/4 weeks he has shown a completely different side to him. He has got his tactics spot on basically every game and got us some great results despite the very tough fixture run and the squad he has available.

Cap off this run with a solid performance on Thursday and a win in the final and I will be quite optimistic for next season.

I was probably one of the most critical on here and I still think he has some big flaws that need working on (mainly team selection and his substitutions).

But fairplay to him, over the last 3/4 weeks he has shown a completely different side to him. He has got his tactics spot on basically every game and got us some great results despite the very tough fixture run and the squad he has available.

Cap off this run with a solid performance on Thursday and a win in the final and I will be quite optimistic for next season.
Today wasnt a great result.

GVB has made a lot of mistakes which have contributed to us being in the position we are in the league but he does seem to have learned from them.

I‘m a lot more confident now he will take us forward but we need to get the recruitment right

Last edited:
Today wasnt a great result.
I don’t think Gio can get the blame for that as it wasn’t his tactics or team selection that cost us the result. It wasn’t his fault that Borna was sleeping for their first goal after a couple of other players made mistakes or that we failed to take our chances up top.

I don’t think Gio can get the blame for that as it wasn’t his tactics or team selection that cost us the result. It wasn’t his fault that Borna was sleeping for their first goal after a couple of other players made mistakes or that we failed to take our chances up top.
Add today to the other OF games we havent won then its not great though.

I think his substitutions have been great overall.

Dortmund at home, the cup semi and again today he made subs that were questioned at the time but all proved justified by the results.

Maybe not result but performance wise we dominated them on their own patch and should have won despite missing two centre backs, our two strikers and one of our best players in Ramsey.
You cant call Ramsay one of our best players FFS. Hes barely played!

I think his substitutions have been great overall.

Dortmund at home, the cup semi and again today he made subs that were questioned at the time but all proved justified by the results.
They are too hit and miss for me. I know he scored, but refusing to take Sakala off after his showing today was shocking. He done it with Aribo at Ibrox as well, he does it with Arfield a lot.

Some days he switches it up early and it works spot on, other days he just refuses to sub glaringly poor players.

Improving when the league is over doesnt help anyone.
Nothing will change the fact he threw the lead he had this season, but this thread is focusing on the fact improvement is there which even I cannot deny despite criticising him more than anyone.

Improvement now is better than none at all, particularly considering he is improving during a Europa League run at the arse end of a season instead of toughing it out through every game.

i was all for gio getting sacked after that

now i think with the proper backing he will build a decent team if he has a input on the signings and not just agents out ross wilsons Filofax
Lets hope he learns before the league is done next season.

We can't press like that for 90 mins at this stage in the season with big games coming up. It takes so much effort. That's why even top teams take some breaks from it.
fair enough but theres no coincidence we lose goals when we sit deep

Nothing will change the fact he threw the lead he had this season, but this thread is focusing on the fact improvement is there which even I cannot deny despite criticising him more than anyone.

Improvement now is better than none at all, particularly considering he is improving during a Europa League run at the arse end of a season instead of toughing it out through every game.
We say "Improvement" But its only improvement since his previous woeful results. Barely improvement on last season or start of this season. Remember we did beat them before he came in.

They are too hit and miss for me. I know he scored, but refusing to take Sakala off after his showing today was shocking. He done it with Aribo at Ibrox as well, he does it with Arfield a lot.

Some days he switches it up early and it works spot on, other days he just refuses to sub glaringly poor players.
Mate, not taking off Sakala was the difference. Gio got his subs spot on here, and in the cup game against them.

fair enough but theres no coincidence we lose goals when we sit deep
Sometimes I think we sit too deep but it's an enormous effort to press so hard. I think we waited until later on in the game to press as we know they would tire which they did. I would rather finish the match strong than press early, be knackered and then having to cling on.

Mate, not taking off Sakala was the difference. Gio got his subs spot on here, and in the cup game against them.
Must admit I was shouting for Sakala to come off today, but fair play to Gio he got that one right. Same as in the semi final it felt like we needed the subs quicker but his patience proved correct and done the right thing at the right time.

You seem to have completely made your mind up on Gio and nothing he does is going to be good enough.
He has done wonders in Europe but its going to take much more than a 1-1 against them to make up for the state of this league campaign under him.

GVB has made a lot of mistakes which have contributed to us being in the position we are in the league but he does seem to have learned from them.

I‘m a lot more confident now he will take us forward but we need to the recruitment right
I don't think he has made that many mistakes. It is the players who let us down.

We should also have strengthen in the summe,r and we shouldnt have gambled on an unfit player and a prospect at Xmas. That has as much to do with losing the league as anything Gio has done

It wasn’t a bad one and the performance was better than the result
It certainly was. Injuries to our two main strikers and two attacking midfield players yet we had 5 shots on target to their one. In addItion we have this game sandwiched in between the 2 europa semis.

The game on Thursday will be the biggest game of the careers of many of our players yet they still dominated the second half today and we’re unlucky not to win.

Must admit I was shouting for Sakala to come off today, but fair play to Gio he got that one right. Same as in the semi final it felt like we needed the subs quicker but his patience proved correct and done the right thing at the right time.
As was I, but the poster I replied to said not taking off Sakala was “shocking”, when it quite literally made the difference between us losing and drawing! He was 100% correct, as he was in the semi final.

Hindsight though isn't it, every man, woman and dug wanted him subbed at halftime because he was that shite and we were all baffled when he wasn't. I don't think him scoring in the end takes away from how poor a decision it was to keep him on.

I’ve been critical as well but there is signs he can set up a team. Hopefully with some players leaving and bringing in quality we can push on further. We desperately need a RW able to change the game with assists and goals.

It certainly was. Injuries to our two main strikers and two attacking midfield players yet we had 5 shots on target to their one. In addItion we have this game sandwiched in between the 2 europa semis.

The game on Thursday will be the biggest game of the careers of many of our players yet they still dominated the second half today and we’re unlucky not to win.

Agreed.

I thought this was going to be one of those flat early Sunday games at Torbett Towers, we lose 1-0 or 2-0.

And whilst frustrated we didn’t win, I’m cheered by the direction we’re going in. We can’t undo the clusterfucks of the start of the year…but it’s gone now.

There’s enough to suggest we’re taking shape under van Bronckhorst. That win at Hampden was against all the odds and today the mentally challengeds are counting their lucky stars they got away from a home game with a point

Against an injury ravaged Rangers team with bigger fish to fry.

Whatever your thoughts on van Bronckhorst, he’s getting next season regardless and things appear to be trending in the right direction. Now isn’t the time for internal bloodletting

If we win a European competition, literally a once-in-a-lifetime, or less, occurrence, you'll be 'quite optimistic'?!

I'll be too busy celebrating and enjoying the Champions League to care too much about next season! We'd have singlehandedly beaten anything they've achieved in the last few years by a mile.

If we win a European competition, literally a once-in-a-lifetime, or less, occurrence, you'll be 'quite optimistic'?!

I'll be too busy celebrating and enjoying the Champions League to care too much about next season! We'd have singlehandedly beaten anything they've achieved in the last few years by a mile.
I didn't say that, I said a solid showing on Thursday. I don't even expect us to win, as long as we put in a good performance against an elite team then I'll be pretty impressed.

I take his point though

Even if we were to win the Europa league, Celtic will be favourites to win the league next season.

And I’m speaking purely from a bookmakers perspective. Celtic will be defending champions and with a more settled squad. They’ll be favourites next season regardless.

So whatever happens on Thursday and in Seville, we’ll have our work cut out next season

But none of that would matter to me personally, I’d could die happy if I saw us lift a European trophy

Are you happy we lost the league? So many people blind to the state of this campaign.
No i'm not, but people are underestimating how much of an impact Gerrard walking out mid season, with no warning, had on our season. Any team will struggle with that. We got a new manger bounce before players had to adapt to a new regime. On top of that several players have under performed all season, even before Gio arrived.

If youre looking for someone to blame look at the players, not Van Bronkhorst

I still think he has some big flaws that need working on (mainly team selection and his substitutions).

But fairplay to him, over the last 3/4 weeks he has shown a completely different side to him. He has got his tactics spot on basically every game and got us some great results despite the very tough fixture run and the squad

Doesn’t point 2 contradict point 1?

Back