Gio's improvement since Braga away

Look at the board who failed to invest, costing us the league and access to millions.
Invest what?

Do the Board members have infinite personal cash reserves or a long line of investors ready and waiting to throw cash into the club?

You could argue that we're two games away from "access to millions."

I blame Gerrard

This narrative that somehow Gio get's a free go this season won't ring out true. The reality is we brought in a guy who knew the gig here and fundamentally botched big games with strange team selections and played a pretty alien system from the go.
I would suspect that was a big attraction bringing him that he didn't need to adapt too much and he has simply played with systems whilst the guy over the city had a plan and stuck to the plan.

GVB has made a lot of mistakes which have contributed to us being in the position we are in the league but he does seem to have learned from them.

I‘m a lot more confident now he will take us forward but we need to get the recruitment right
Not learned completely. By far his biggest mistake was sticking with a keeper who has cost us the league with his errors. Multiple times we were n front and his errors turned them into draws and defeats.

Not learned completely. By far his biggest mistake was sticking with a keeper who has cost us the league with his errors. Multiple times we were n front and his errors turned them into draws and defeats.
Don't think it's as simple as that though. It's easy to point at flaws but there's clearly a reason he keeps picking Shagger and Gerrard before him too. If we played Mclaughlin more we'd be listing off all his flaws too.

Shagger is the better keeper and can pull of wonder saves and keep us in games. however his 10/10 performances come with 5/10 performances aswell.

Mclaughlin on the other hand is more consistent but you won't get the 10/10 performances from him. You'll get a consistent 7.5/10 but he probably won't pull wonder saves and keep you in games.

Don't necessarily think there's a blanket right or wrong choice. It probably depends on the game and personally I think Shagger should always play against that lot and in Europe.

The only game where Gio got it really wrong was against them in February. We dropped points at Ross County, Dundee United and Motherwell at home after that. Those games were full of individual errors.

On top of this, we've had terrible luck with injuries. Gio absolutely gets next season and it will be interesting to see what his recruitment will be like.

Don't think it's as simple as that though. It's easy to point at flaws but there's clearly a reason he keeps picking Shagger and Gerrard before him too. If we played Mclaughlin more we'd be listing off all his flaws too.

Shagger is the better keeper and can pull of wonder saves and keep us in games. however his 10/10 performances come with 5/10 performances aswell.

Mclaughlin on the other hand is more consistent but you won't get the 10/10 performances from him. You'll get a consistent 7.5/10 but he probably won't pull wonder saves and keep you in games.

Don't necessarily think there's a blanket right or wrong choice. It probably depends on the game and personally I think Shagger should always play against that lot and in Europe.
Balanced point. What I will say is look at those two punches McLaughlin makes in the closing minutes against them in the cup. McGregor just refuses to do that.

It's fair to say Gio over the last few weeks has turned it around and won plenty on here including myself over you csn see he's good tactically and is willing to adapt and lean from previous mistakes. If he can bring in 4/5 guaranteed starter's that can make a difference to the first 11 then I'd be pretty confident going into next season

Results business. Let's see where we are come the end of May.

First OF game will be at parkhead next season. 1 win in 4 so far. If it becomes 1 in 5 he's going to be under pressure. Its just the reality of the job.

Just saw over a 100 comment post on FB that is universally saying Gio is the answer give him the funds etc etc.

It's hard not to conclude that a lot of our support feared we'd get turned over today and this has to a typical over reaction the other way.

Invest what?

Do the Board members have infinite personal cash reserves or a long line of investors ready and waiting to throw cash into the club?

You could argue that we're two games away from "access to millions."
They need to find new investors then if they can't take the club further

Not really. He has done well considering the injuries etc but he still makes poor sub choices at times and doesn't use his squad as well as he should imo. Lowry and Davis should both have seen more game time than Arfield this half of the season, Amad has been utterly bombed out despite being no worse than Wright or Sakala. McLaughlin has been brilliant every time he has played yet never gets a sniff.
He has got his tactics spot on basically every game and got us some great results despite the very tough fixture run and the squad he has available

… are you the players’ agent? I think you’re trying hard to be critical and missing the mark.

You’ve every right to complain about results where we’ve dropped vital points eg Tims at home.

He has got his tactics spot on basically every game and got us some great results despite the very tough fixture run and the squad he has available

… are you the players’ agent? I think you’re trying hard to be critical and missing the mark.

You’ve every right to complain about results where we’ve dropped vital points eg Tims at home.
I'm not missing the mark at all. Just because he has got some good results in recent weeks doesn't mean he is flawless.

Gio came half way through the season...think it's clear to see his way of playing is starting to get through to the players...this was never going to be implemented instantly as much as we all hoped...think we are now in good hands...onwards to thursday

The season’s not over. There will be questions asked if we finish trophy-less and rightly so. The 12 point swing in the league is unacceptable.

On the other hand he’s got the opportunity to win the most prestigious trophy in our history - the Europa League. Followed by the Scottish Cup.

We stayed in the tie over in Portugal but we didn’t play well. The response after Celtic at Ibrox and Braga away has been good. First half of St. Mirren aside.

We demanded a response and thus far we’ve got one. Was impressed with the Scottish Cup semi final. On a whole he got it right in Germany (even if I didn’t agree with the choice of substitutions) and today. Better set up, better shape, better game plan and management. Unfortunately we are still seeing errors at the back and toothless in front of goal. In play changes, the ability to act fast and lift his players in certain moments.

His players do their job on Thursday past and we come away with a 0-0. They do their job today and the gap is down to 3. GvB got it right, his men never produced at the right moments.

Today compared to the last match at Parkhead shows he’s learned a few lessons. That’s all we ask for.

We go out on Thursday and give it our absolute all (see what happens) we win the remaining league games and we lift the Scottish Cup.

How can it be a poor decision to keep him on when he scored and nearly won us the game?
Because he had put in one of the worst halves of football I've seen from a player this season yet Gio didn't think it warranted a change.

Hindsight will obviously say it was a good choice keeping him on in the end, but I mean the decision to keep him on for the second half was a poor one. You don't just refrain from subbing players playing poorly in the hope they score eventually like Sakala done today.

What I would say in his defence is he isn’t fearful of changing tactics/formation depending on opposition and also quick to adapt during games.

This is something that the previous manger was reluctant to do, and I say this as a big Gerrard fan.

It’s clear as day that Gio has a better understanding of the fundamentals of setting up a team, most likely due to his footballing education.
That is in no way having a go at Gerrard just that the are very different and he needs to learn to be more flexible in his approach.

What I would say in his defence is he isn’t fearful of changing tactics/formation depending on opposition and also quick to adapt during games.

This is something that the previous manger was reluctant to do, and I say this as a big Gerrard fan.

It’s clear as day that Gio has a better understanding of the fundamentals of setting up a team, most likely due to his footballing education.
That is in no way having a go at Gerrard just that the are very different and he needs to learn to be more flexible in his approach.
Gerrard leaned on Beale more for tactical advice GVB does not have to.

Because he had put in one of the worst halves of football I've seen from a player this season yet Gio didn't think it warranted a change.

Hindsight will obviously say it was a good choice keeping him on in the end, but I mean the decision to keep him on for the second half was a poor one. You don't just refrain from subbing players playing poorly in the hope they score eventually like Sakala done today.

You do though, happens all over the world. Granted the players are a different quality, but morelos isnt getting subbed at half time even if he is playing honking.

But it is never as simple as playing bad sub off. Who you subbing on? Itten? So you then need to make a change to how you are playing, or do you give Sakala instructions and time to improve before then subbing him?

The only game where Gio got it really wrong was against them in February. We dropped points at Ross County, Dundee United and Motherwell at home after that. Those games were full of individual errors.

On top of this, we've had terrible luck with injuries. Gio absolutely gets next season and it will be interesting to see what his recruitment will be like.
Wouldn't entirely agree with that, it has only been the last few weeks we have properly looked like a team for a run of games. We had the odd good performance like Hearts at Ibrox and Tannadice (still dropped points), but 80% of our games we were a mess at the back and toothless upfront. Of course, not all Gio's fault but some definitely was.

You do though, happens all over the world. Granted the players are a different quality, but morelos isnt getting subbed at half time even if he is playing honking.

But it is never as simple as playing bad sub off. Who you subbing on? Itten? So you then need to make a change to how you are playing, or do you give Sakala instructions and time to improve before then subbing him?
Aye it sometimes happens with key players if they have a poor game, not just standard squad players. 99% of the time if they have a howling half they will get subbed, especially when the rest of the team is playing moderately okay (Arfield aside).

Considering he was playing out wide at the time we had wingers to replace him without having to change tactics too much. I also felt he was given time to improve after the half and still didn't. Anyway it worked out didn't it.

I think since the first Piggery game he abandoned what appeared to be a counter attacking style for something closer to the SG era. His formation and tactics have resulted in a much more controlled outcome with some great results. Whilst it’s highly encouraging there also has to be debate about what is his style?

In terms of recent results considering how depleted the squad was he’s rightly got a lot of credit but this will flip again if we don’t have something to show for this season when it ends

Does he need to have a "style"?

The season’s not over. There will be questions asked if we finish trophy-less and rightly so. The 12 point swing in the league is unacceptable.

On the other hand he’s got the opportunity to win the most prestigious trophy in our history - the Europa League. Followed by the Scottish Cup.

We stayed in the tie over in Portugal but we didn’t play well. The response after Celtic at Ibrox and Braga away has been good. First half of St. Mirren aside.

We demanded a response and thus far we’ve got one. Was impressed with the Scottish Cup semi final. On a whole he got it right in Germany (even if I didn’t agree with the choice of substitutions) and today. Better set up, better shape, better game plan and management. Unfortunately we are still seeing errors at the back and toothless in front of goal. In play changes, the ability to act fast and lift his players in certain moments.

His players do their job on Thursday past and we come away with a 0-0. They do their job today and the gap is down to 3. GvB got it right, his men never produced at the right moments.

Today compared to the last match at Parkhead shows he’s learned a few lessons. That’s all we ask for.

We go out on Thursday and give it our absolute all (see what happens) we win the remaining league games and we lift the Scottish Cup.
Gio himself has for the most part nailed the last two old-firms, Leipzig, Braga at home and the Motherwell game after Balogun tried to sabotage it. The goals we have conceded have been an unlucky deflection, a wonder volley and two stupid errors by Kamara and Barisic. It's not like his setup has been cut open several times. If he had our strikers and better finishers in general available we'd have been far more comfortable.

Like you said though, the Scottish Cup is a must for me. I'd love the Europa final but as long as we go down swinging I wouldn't hold it against him losing out to a team like Leipzig. If he wins the four remaining domestic games he will have a good bit of momentum behind him for next season.

I was probably one of the most critical on here and I still think he has some big flaws that need working on (mainly team selection and his substitutions).

But fairplay to him, over the last 3/4 weeks he has shown a completely different side to him. He has got his tactics spot on basically every game and got us some great results despite the very tough fixture run and the squad he has available.

Cap off this run with a solid performance on Thursday and a win in the final and I will be quite optimistic for next season.

Yeah I’m in the same boat. A few weeks ago I thought he was a lost cause but recent signs have been very encouraging. Let’s hope the best is yet to come.

When they will strengthen and we go for some free transfers and bargain basement signings. Cant wait.
You clearly know f all about finance. We need to make money to spend money. Are you Jeremy Corbyns love child, or maybe one of Herr Sturgeons financial experts. FFS

This narrative that somehow Gio get's a free go this season won't ring out true. The reality is we brought in a guy who knew the gig here and fundamentally botched big games with strange team selections and played a pretty alien system from the go.
I would suspect that was a big attraction bringing him that he didn't need to adapt too much and he has simply played with systems whilst the guy over the city had a plan and stuck to the plan.
An alternative view is that we got a new manager who came in and found that a lot of the first team squad he inherited weren’t up to what he needed.. and so he tried a few lineups & formations before he found something that worked.
I think that winter shutdown period was a disappointment for Gio & his coaches.

Since the match away to St Johnstone, I think we’ve been reasonably good, he has set the tone and the players have responded.

There’s no escaping that game away at the Piggery in February though… I think the players were more responsible than the manager that night but the selections and lack of changes We’re on the manager.

Overall I think we are heading in the right direction now though. Roll on next season.

How much of the blame does Gerrard get for the 12pt swing? And how much on the players?

I don’t think it’s fair to lay the entire 12pts swing at Gio’s door. If Gerrard was looking for an out he should have done the honourable thing and left in the summer, allowing us the off season to bed in his replacement

Any team would struggle with a managerial switch mid season. Yes, we got a bit of a new manager bounce, but then Gio had to implement his own ideas, and training regimes, while the season was under way.

Also, at least half of those points were dropped because of individual errors, so the players need to accept some of the responsibility as well

I have a slightly different opinion on this.

I think it's more to do with the pressure being off.

The league was confirmed as lost at Ibrox and against Braga at Ibrox and the league games that followed you could consider some of them free hits in that Celtic were winning the league and Europe we're just going out and seeing what happens and it's worked.

When it's tight in the league and the pressure is on, I still have serious doubts about Giovanni and most of these players.
Surely that is more on the players considering that’s been the story now for 4 years?

The league was confirmed as lost at Ibrox and against Braga at Ibrox and the league games that followed you could consider some of them free hits in that Celtic were winning the league and Europe we're just going out and seeing what happens and it's worked.

When it's tight in the league and the pressure is on, I still have serious doubts about Giovanni and most of these players.
I can see that to an extent, but there was still pressure to perform against Braga and Leipzig (despite being underdogs), the semi-final against them and the game yesterday (it's still an OF). They were hardly friendlies, they are playing in the latter stages of a European competition watched by millions.

And to be fair to Gio, I'd attribute any struggles with pressure more with the players before him. They have shown year after year to struggle with it.

There was definitely pressure to get through the Braga leg. Leipzig and Dortmund you could say were seen as free hits, with Braga however it was all but expected from fans that we went through.

An alternative view is that we got a new manager who came in and found that a lot of the first team squad he inherited weren’t up to what he needed.. and so he tried a few lineups & formations before he found something that worked.
I think that winter shutdown period was a disappointment for Gio & his coaches.

Since the match away to St Johnstone, I think we’ve been reasonably good, he has set the tone and the players have responded.

There’s no escaping that game away at the Piggery in February though… I think the players were more responsible than the manager that night but the selections and lack of changes We’re on the manager.

Overall I think we are heading in the right direction now though. Roll on next season.
Which is largely crap and forgetting what happened throwing untried players into key games at our toughest away grounds was simply folly. There were better options. The lack of squad rotation was another key failing.

Absolutely agree it looks different now but what went before was more than a manager finding his feet.

We are pretty much back playing similar to how this squad played and this myth we’ve got Celtics number? We could have had it from the first game-set up in the first 2 OF games was wrong and many predicted the issues before the games.

Back