Glasgow Programmes Rangers Shop Copland Road

It was like Aladdin's Den in there. Wall to wall memorabilia. Recall Jock Wallace singing his book in the shop prior to an Aberdeen game.
Bought many an item on our trips over. Happy memories.

It was like Aladdin's Den in there. Wall to wall memorabilia. Recall Jock Wallace singing his book in the shop prior to an Aberdeen game.
Bought many an item on our trips over. Happy memories.

That’s what I am told the book signing took place there will try and see if I have a scan of the book for you to upload and share

What I’m seeing with those 2 is part of a darkened photo and the Privacy Notice at the bottom of both. Weird. Currently on iPad with Adblock Plus. Will check it out on desktop in the next hour.

I spent many pre-match hour in there - both as a youngster & young(er) adult - & a fair portion of my 'hard-earned' cash as well
Still - it's all worth it when I pour over my program collection now
Thanks OP -I've Great memories of that wee shop

@billyritchieshireblue all photos show properly on desktop. Crazy. There really are some issues with the new forum on mobile/tablet it seems.

See at my age I have to ask my nephews and cousins most technical things but I learn quite quickly at 1st I struggled to load any images at all, then was sent a link to Imgur and has been quite easy to use, the add blockers I learnt you have to switch the options on or off I think if you are on a mobile they call it android ?

Desk top is that for pc’s computers only

I spent many pre-match hour in there - both as a youngster & young(er) adult - & a fair portion of my 'hard-earned' cash as well

Thanks for the kind comments yes was a great shop with so many things I wish I had now key rings ash trays and darts daft things like this.

The programme side of things was good but i still feel when Glasgow Programmes moved out across the street to there stall on Mafeking Street then on to Edminston Drive at the school, probably I am guessing as merchandising from the late 1980’s became very valuable per square feet the shop was far more easier and practical to move around in on matchdays and more Rangers merchandise like the gold and silver range could be viewed properly.

Glasgow Programmes I believe they now just trade online at www.glasgowprogrammes.com and through eBay must have made many programme collectors like yourself a fair good investment of your pocket money looking back now.

My pleasure sharing and thanks to the member that shared me some pictures to load on she and her partner are quite into collecting the old memoribilia

Would like in due course to have range of what is in that catalogue, maybe not everything but a decent range of small items

Exactly, but I guess with so many street vendors around Ibrox difficult now to compete on matchdays ?

Would have to have items not linked to the Ashley fiasco and items that have larger profits per sale like your bed linen things like this does that make sense so £40 quality egyptian cotton instead of a £3 key ring really invest in finding quality distributors.

Was also always full of boys - the place to go rather than always standing outside on the street while the men had a pre-match bevvy (or the young team had a pre-match Buckie or Sherry).

Always my first pit stop with my old man once we'd got off the coach from belfast ! Would spend any money i had in there before the game . Happy memories!

Exactly, but I guess with so many street vendors around Ibrox difficult now to compete on matchdays ?

Would have to have items not linked to the Ashley fiasco and items that have larger profits per sale like your bed linen things like this does that make sense so £40 quality egyptian cotton instead of a £3 key ring really invest in finding quality distributors.

Streets vendors would have very little impact on what the club actually sell although sometimes that can provide a quick service for those that buy for certain items

Whether it a £3 key ring or £40 for bed linen it can be something marked official by the club. It is also about providing a decent range of items for purchase

It shows the attempt to buy direct from club when this shop opened in 1981 with the notice inside the catalogue

Ag
Streets vendors would have very little impact on what the club actually sell although sometimes that can provide a quick service for those that buy for certain items

Whether it a £3 key ring or £40 for bed linen it can be something marked official by the club. It is also about providing a decent range of items for purchase

It shows the attempt to buy direct from club when this shop opened in 1981 with the notice inside the catalogue

Agreed like scarves if it’s cold on certain matches is handy hats too ideal badges can be speciality’s so you are correct , what do you mean the notice inside the catalogue ?

I could have written that myself. Was a big part of the match day experience for me.

Steven Jacobs ran the programme shop must have had a good contact to get into our shop when it 1st opened in 1981 ?

Very well respected after he opened Glasgow’s 1st programme shop in 1976 on Paisley Road West with a friend from school and was obviously very popular on matchdays before the Copland Road Shop even opened.

Last edited:
Steven Jacobs ran the programme shop must have had a good contact to get into our shop when it 1st opened in 1981 ?

Very well respected after he opened Glasgow’s 1st programme shop in 1976 on Paisley Road West with a friend from school and was obviously very popular on matchdays befure the Copland Road Shop even opened.
I bought a lot of programmes in there. I also found a gem of a stall in the Barra’s I used to go to most Sundays back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. An old guy ran it and sold bric a brac but always had a pile of programmes. Found some gems in there -
Ajax v Rangers Super Cup ( pirate edition) 5p,
1971 ECWC final Chelsea v Real Madrid 10p

I could have written that myself. Was a big part of the match day experience for me.
I bought a lot of programmes in there. I also found a gem of a stall in the Barra’s I used to go to most Sundays back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. An old guy ran it and sold bric a brac but always had a pile of programmes. Found some gems in there -

I am with you so you mean from here in the shop

The official Greek programme or the Chelsea version? Greek one going for €250-350 on eBay.

Anyone remember Steve Earle?
The advert for his programmes was in the Shoot.

Yes he had adverts all over place as you say

Sending away for a starter pack including a bundle of programmes

Still going but has put his business up for sale in the past year

Recall buying a lot of books when the guy had the stall in Mafeking Street. Most of my Playing for Rangers I got from this man.

Yes he had adverts all over place as you say

Sending away for a starter pack including a bundle of programmes

Still going but has put his business up for sale in the past year

Yes I just googled it up that is correct he selling and retiring says he started in 1970 in Suffolk and is the UKs longest running old football programme seller a million football programmes sale , just a few then

I used to love all that back in the day.
Im sure i saw him on television, poss some documentary and it was about him selling up.
Yes I just googled it up that is correct he selling and retiring says he started in 1970 in Suffolk and is the UKs longest running old football programme seller a million football programmes sale , just a few then

Almost 50 years in a what was a hobby and now huge business very few left from that era

Recall buying a lot of books when the guy had the stall in Mafeking Street. Most of my Playing for Rangers I got from this man.

Yes that was Glasgow Programmes where they moved I was told around the 1990 season from being in the Copland Rd Rangers Shop for 9 years or so to as you say to being on Mafeking St outside of the shop now the Ladbrokes bookies.

If you look inside most of our home programmes from the 1980’s and early 90’s you can see the adverts changing locations although there Main Stand stall for me when coming from the Cardonsld End end & bellahouston Park parking wise opposite the John Grieg statue was always the best location when I started to pick up a few bits and bobs again ( when was dry of course )

That's the book. Bought the jumper the girl is wearing also.
In my mind I can still picture standing looking around the shop at all the merchandise.

Ahh the jumper you remember so must have around 1984 not sure when either book or jumper was produced for dating the picture.

I must say a big thank you to the person that has kindly sent me this and other clippings which I have loaded on to the Imgur page on a very blue Monday has cheered me up.

Last edited:
Back