Glenn Hoddle

BobbyShearer

Official Ticketer
Yes he's a bit of a weapon.
Yes if he was chocolate he'd eat himself in a oner.

He knows his stuff though-I really like him as co-commentator because of what he notices and offers the punter in a game.

Why has no-one given him another chance? Is he that toxic?

I agree, although he does drop the odd clanger. However, his tactical knowhow is something you never hear in Scottish games from the likes of the bankrupt Sutton. funny that, given the bankrupt Sutton's record as the worst ever manager - of Lincoln

Often heard professionals say that as a coach and tactically he is one of the very best. Absolute zero man management skills though.

Quite like listening to him as opposed to fuds like Alan Smith.

Crackin player too..ÂŁ80 million player in today's crazy markets.

Probably still would annoy some players in the squad by being better than them when he takes part in training.

He was a magnificent bastard on the field mind you - haven't seen anyone in the British game who could hit a 50 yard pass like Hoddle.

Seems a bit of a strange fish personally though.

He was a magnificent bastard on the field mind you - haven't seen anyone in the British game who could hit a 50 yard pass like Hoddle.

Seems a bit of a strange fish personally though.

A bit eccentric as they say.

England should have built their team around him in the 80s. A supreme passer of the ball.

He knows his stuff though-I really like him as co-commentator because of what he notices and offers the punter in a game.

True story, when Macnamara was at Wolves he did his knee in badly at training and was carried on a stretcher into the physio room awaiting an ambulance to arrive, Hoddle was manager and went into the room where the club doctor was giving pain killers to ease the pain, he told the doctor to move aside and put his hands above the injured knee singing a tune only to be described as the noise the aRed Indians do when asking for rain, after two minutes he tapped Him on the knee and said 10 days Jack and you will be fully fit, a year and two ops later he got back to full training.
Maybe its stuff like that that stops him getting a job.:D

Reasons he's not in a job:

He's a boring bastard.

He's a low talker.

He's a weirdo.

He hits out with shite like 'I remember seeing Morata play for Italy against England and he looked good.'.

Became pretty much unemployable as a football manger after his weird comments about children with disabilities

That was the reason he got the bullet from the England job. Came out in public with his beliefs that disabled kids are that way because they were bad in a previous life.

That and his "faith" in Eileen Drury. I'm sure Ive read that she used to appear in dressing rooms before games and Hoddle would make people listen to her.

He talks some amount of shite in amongst the nuggets of wisdom. Suffers from the modern obsession of commentators just talking incessantly whether it's worth saying or not.

Pardew was doing summarising as well today and said 'giving too much space and room'.

A complete fanny of a man. Was a cracking footballer in his day though.

His comments about the disabled have probably seen clubs give him a wide berth.

Completely disagree. For a guy that was probably world class he displays what seems like no knowledge of the game. I am genuinely surprised at your post. Me and my pal have been discussing how clueless he sounds in recent weeks considering his standing. Just shows You how different people see things. However if it wasn't Glenn huddle I reckon you would be calling him an old fool. Sorry for judging.

Completely disagree. For a guy that was probably world class he displays what seems like no knowledge of the game. I am genuinely surprised at your post. Me and my pal have been discussing how clueless he sounds in recent weeks considering his standing. Just shows You how different people see things. However if it wasn't Glenn huddle I reckon you would be calling him an old fool. Sorry for judging.
I'm with you. As I said above he talks 90% utter garbage with the very occasional great insight.

Maybe if he was moved to summarising that would help. That's where Gary Neville does his best work. Blethers utter nonsense on commentary but when he's analysing in the studio it cuts most of the rubbish out and he's asked to look at specific incidents.

For me, a genuinely world class footballer and I saw him a good few times in his Spurs heyday and he was a joy to watch.
Taking Swindon to the Premier League still boggles the mind especially when you're reminded of how they tried to play football. The whole faith healer thing, he was hung out to dry by the English media to a certain extent. Both Robson and McMenemy (amongst others) had used Eileen Drewery before without any comment from the Press, yet they jumped on Hoddle for doing the same.

The little bit from Teddy Sheringham's autobiography sums him up:

2rp5jy1.jpg

I saw him play an exhibition game in Toronto years ago. Quite a few top players were there.( McGrath and Whiteside for example).
He was the one who caught the eye.
Given the opposition was poor he still was tremendous to watch. Spraying the ball all over the park never breaking a sweat.
He never shirked a tackle.
One thing I noticed was when he went into a tackle he made a quarter turn into his opponent. Scoping the ball away and avoiding any real contact with the oncoming slugger.

whats the story here mate?
He asked Someone in training to fling over 5 crosses and he told Le Tiss to volley them all at the edge of the box,and put them in the top corner,which Le Tiss did,Hoddle told him after it,good,now do it with your left foot,Le Tiss refused saying he won't be able to, Hoddle said to him,as a professional you should be able,then proceeded to do it himself with both right and left.Well something along these lines,think this is why LenTiss fell out with him,and didn't represent England to much under him.
Point being,they can't all be Maradona,or Pele or Hoddle even.

Too much whooo whooo going on in his head.
If his team lost a goal, he was would look to sacrifice a couple of virgins to repay the debt to the footballing gods..
Weird as a bottle of crisps

He asked Someone in training to fling over 5 crosses and he told Le Tiss to volley them all at the edge of the box,and put them in the top corner,which Le Tiss did,Hoddle told him after it,good,now do it with your left foot,Le Tiss refused saying he won't be able to, Hoddle said to him,as a professional you should be able,then proceeded to do it himself with both right and left.Well something along these lines,think this is why LenTiss fell out with him,and didn't represent England to much under him.
Point being,they can't all be Maradona,or Pele or Hoddle even.

There's a similar tale from the '98 World Cup when he was trying to teach a move to Beckham, Gary Neville and Shearer. Beckham couldn't grasp what Hoddle was after and failed repeatedly to execute the manoeuvre. Cue Hoddle demonstrating the pass he was after (using his "bad" foot) and stomping off the pitch in disgust at Beckham. Great, great player but zero man management skills.

Latest posts

Back