Going unbeaten is a sideshow. We're had a monumental 55 season!

UpToMyKnees

Official Ticketer
Can see the narrative being set so transparently now.

Suddenly, because Stevie G says that going unbeaten (I'm not a fan of the word 'Invincibles') is a sideshow, it is being interpreted as actually being vitally important to us.
I'm firmly not in this camp.
  • We had a great run in Europe - beyond our expectations
  • We've had an incredible season, spectacularly clinching 55 and reclaiming our rightful place back at the top as Champions after a horrendous road back from rock bottom
  • We still have the Scottish Cup to play for.
Going unbeaten? I'm not really interested in that. I'd rather see us tactically rest players and give game time to those who are knocking on the door.

But the narrative is being built to enable the mouth-breathers to claim the season wasn't as successful because we didn't go unbeaten. It's nonsense.

Rangers have played fantastic football and we've enjoyed a season beyond my wildest dreams. So now we're in for a long relaxed summer with no pressure as Champions and looking forward to seeing if we can get into the group stages of the Champions League.

I also expect the likes of Simpson, Bassey, Itten, Defoe and McLaughlin get more game time in the league against the top 6.

Defoe and McLaughlin for sentimental reasons, the rest because they need the game time.

Would be cool if we do it, but I’m really not expecting or bothered about it. I’d rather we have more of a look at guys like Wright, Itten, Simpson, etc and save ourselves a bit for the Scottish cup.

Winning the league so early was brilliant,the best title ever imo..........but it can take the edge off the players for the remaining games especially now we have a Scottish Cup to play for,I think Gerrard will be drumming it into them to keep the standard high and go unbeaten.You can't just flick a switch when the competetive cup games come around.

do I want to finish unbeaten? Yes! Do I care if we don’t? No.
it’s not really anything TBH.
Shoo said something on Clyde the other night, “sellik did it when Rangers were in the doldrums” or words to that effect. Basically admitting they had no competition when the did it. We have selliks strongest team, they’re just shite.
gor me play some fringe players and chase the Scottish cup.

I’d echo most sentiments.

The cup is the target now.

That said, there’s no reason not to strive to win our last 5 league games.

Let’s be honest here, Scottish Cup is priority now

However with 5 league games to go and the most difficult of the 5 all at home, going unbeaten is a real possibility now, so why not go for it and make an unbelievable season even more unbelievable

I’m greedy and I want it all

Last edited:
For me it would be to change it up for the league games. Like to see Itten, wright etc some more game time and then strongest team for the cup to try and get the double.

All about the cup now and preparing the squad for next season. Would like to see big Ced get some decent game time as well as Scott Wright and Simpson at CH to get them bedded in for what is a huge season next year with auto CL qualification up for graphs with the title. That is a game changer for the clubs long term financial plan.

I don’t really get the ambivalence towards an unbeaten league campaign.

I wonder if it’s in part because the Yahoos have already achieved it so it’s not entirely unique?

Personally I think it would be an incredible achievement and rightfully position this team as one of the greatest in the history of Scottish football. It would also make a mockery of those who claimed the feat under Rodgers would never be repeated.

And they’re terrified of us emulating it for those reasons. The BBC made note in two different articles following the game on Sunday that the draw meant we now can’t beat Celtic’s point tally during their unbeaten season.

Despite Gerrard’s claims, privately I think he and the players will be desperate to end the season unbeaten.

It would be a glorious testament to all connected with the club.

People will inevitably compare us with Rodgers first season but that’s not really accurate

They were whipping boys in Europe and were out completely by Christmas so didn’t have that to contend with.

They only had two SC ties to play after winning the league. And one OF game against the worst Rangers top flight team of all time. We will face an entire SC campaign (hopefully) and two games against a Celtic team that had previously won nine leagues on the spin

We all obviously want to go unbeaten however none of us will really give a fûck if we don’t.

The SC is the only remaining trophy to contest so that’s all that matters for the remainder of this season now.

This unbeaten thing seems to mean more to the filth than us. They were desperate to end it on Sunday.

I echo what has been mentioned a few times now.

Priorities are the Scottish Cup and using the remaining league games to plan for the future.

I think we'll go unbeaten regardless, I just don't see any team in this division being able to get the best of us over 90 minutes. We'd have to have a shed load of injuries and be absolutely rank rotten and even then we're probably only going to draw.

Suddenly, because Stevie G says that going unbeaten (I'm not a fan of the word 'Invincibles') is a sideshow, it is being interpreted as actually being vitally important to us.
  • We've had an incredible season, spectacularly clinching 55 and reclaiming our rightful place back at the top as Champions after a horrendous road back from rock bottom
Going unbeaten? I'm not really interested in that. I'd rather see us tactically rest players and give game time to those who are knocking on the door.

But the narrative is being built to enable the mouth-breathers to claim the season wasn't as successful because we didn't go unbeaten. It's nonsense.

Rangers have played fantastic football and we've enjoyed a season beyond my wildest dreams. So now we're in for a long relaxed summer with no pressure as Champions and looking forward to seeing if we can get into the group stages of the Champions League.
Absolutely correct.
There isn’t a trophy or medals for going unbeaten.
We’ve already completed an unbeaten season, a one hundred percent season, so it would be nothing new for us.
I’d much rather be developing Patterson, King, the fringe players who’ll be here next season and the other kids we’ve got who aren’t currently on loan.

If the choice was lose all the league games and win the Scottish Cup I would choose the Cup. League done all that matters to me now is win another trophy.

Exactly. If we went full strength against the sheep on the last day, and a key player got injured or suspended for dangerous play (if that's still a thing) I'd be seething they missed the cup final if we'd made it.

I'd like to see some players that are borderline for a winners medal, get them. The unbeaten thing is just a media thing as nice as it would be. The cup is the important one now though

Of course going unbeaten is important, and I've no doubt our players and manager see it as a big goal they want to achieve. Not more important than the Scottish Cup obviously but let's do it, it will cap off the season that should have been for that lot.

If we were to go unbeaten and win the cup that would eclipse their "invincible" season by a distance. We went 12 matches unbeaten in Europe, losing 1 out of 13. They lost 5 out of 12 including defeats to Lincoln Red Imps and Happoel Beer Shiva and a 7-0 thrashing from Barcelona. Invincible my arse!

I mean. It IS an aim. In as much as it is for every team for the rest of the season from this point no team goes into a match wanting to lose.

If we achieve it, amazing. If we don't, literally don't care.

The League title was enough. We were in the 4rd tier 9 years ago. We have no right to expect to be breaking records which rangers teams pre-2012 couldn't achieve. The fact it is even a possibility at this stage in the season shows the miricles that Gerrard has performed. But as far as I'm concerned, Scottish Cup aside, it's job done for this year and focus should be shifting to preparing for next year and enjoying the rewards for their huge effort this year.

Whole season or not. We won the title undefeated either way (a phrasing not to dissimilar from the managers when he mentioned it) - it has already been achieved. Til the end of the season, clean sheets, goals conceded. These are all just things for the stats geeks to pour over. For us! That competition was deservedly dead and buried before we were event considering the clocks going forward!

With the fixtures and the squad we have we are more than capable of giving fringe players game time and still remaining unbeaten. I don't want us to lose ANY game so I'd be disappointed to lose another this season. Unbeaten AND the Scottish Cup please rangers

Of course I’d rather prioritise the SC (if I had to choose), but going unbeaten an entire league season would be a tremendous achievement and one the players and management could take real pride in.

to use a word that was chucked about scottish football in the 90's only to never been seen again, its 'parochial'.

SC and next season is now what matters, fringe players and hopefully any youths good enough will be given some game time in the league.

It would be nice but I care more about the Scottish Cup.

I'd rather lose the rest of the league games and win the cup than go undefeated in the league and lose the cup.

I want to end the season with 2 trophies and Celtic with 0 and extend our lead that they have chipped away at with their free run.

I don't buy this idea that it's not totally important.

We have five games left in a season to go unbeaten in a season we won title 55.

Though the season has already been a roaring success, going unbeaten and winning the title at the same time would represent an unprecedented achievement for a modern Rangers team. Who can honestly say they'd not want us to set a record, and even have that run continue to next year? Is it genuinely because Celtic have already done it? Who can say they'd be fine with losing to Celtic or Aberdeen in the next few weeks?

We're dealing with Rangers, FFS - we should always be aiming to win every game. Gerrard describing it as a sideshow is very obviously an attempt to publicly play it down but I have absolutely no doubt that privately him and the players are desperate to go unbeaten, and the team selection for the next few games will testify to that.

All 5 of the other teams will be building their players up with “be the first team to beat them”. I don’t think we will do it as we have looked a bit jaded recently, particularly with Tav and Jack looking to miss possibly the rest of the season, it’s time to give the likes of Bassey, Itten, Wright and Simpson a game or two.

We should go for an unbeaten run - 100%.

My reasoning is that it will keep us in game mode rather than cruise control, it will help keep us focused for the cup games. There have been plenty cup finals in the past where we have won the league weeks before and just not played at the level a hungry team.

We have had a magnificent season, going unbeaten would be an added bonus but it is not a reason for despair if we do not.

It is most definitely a sideshow/afterthought.

Would be good. But given the choice, any right-minded fan would take the Scottish Cup in exchange for losing every game post split.

The cup is the most important thing now.

Unbeaten in the league would be good but I'm not really bothered as long as we don't get beat off them.

The league is now about getting game time for players that need appearances to collect winners medals.

That's it.

Scottish cup for the first team.

We all want the double but we will never have a better chance to go undefeated in league and with 5 games to go we should be looking to do it most definitely.

I don’t really get the ambivalence towards an unbeaten league campaign.

I wonder if it’s in part because the Yahoos have already achieved it so it’s not entirely unique?

Personally I think it would be an incredible achievement and rightfully position this team as one of the greatest in the history of Scottish football. It would also make a mockery of those who claimed the feat under Rodgers would never be repeated.

And they’re terrified of us emulating it for those reasons. The BBC made note in two different articles following the game on Sunday that the draw meant we now can’t beat Celtic’s point tally during their unbeaten season.

Despite Gerrard’s claims, privately I think he and the players will be desperate to end the season unbeaten.

It would be a glorious testament to all connected with the club.
I agree. I want it. With three home games and only two away there is no reason why not. No reason to rest players willy nilly in the league. We have an easy next round SC tie and the round after might end up being a decent draw. I’d also say St Johnstone away we definitely shouldn’t be losing.

I don't understand why so many think there is a trade off. 'Lose every game, so long as we win the SC' It was the same with Europe and trading that for the title. I have always wanted to win every game we play. That hasn't changed this year or last year and won't next year. Absolutely no reason why we can't go unbeaten and win the SC and it absolutely should be the ambition of the team. If neither happen, so be it. But no way should we be thinking of sacrificing one for a chance of the other.

UBrUYQH.jpg

This please Rangers !

Back