Goldson Contract ?

I cant see how he does his job properly tbh

Weekend of the county game

Anfield Saturday lunch time
County Sunday lunch time
Liverpool Monday morning

As the person who told me this says - if he was the Liverpool manger he would be in his office/training ground day and night.
Anfield, Saturday lunch time?

Exactly. If we win the league, have direct entry to champions league why on earth would Gerrard leave for anything other than the Liverpool job?

Just don't see it.
Or he might leave because he would think four years is enough for the task he set himself here? We simply don't know.

I believe if he wanted to sign a new contract he would have done it by now.No way we should be allowing him to run his contract down in fact anyone saleable.It goes totally against what we have been told.Buy youngish, develop and sell on.
Over the next 2 seasons we have a lot of the squad being out of contract/liable to retire and we will need another rebuild.If we don't get cash in we are liable not to be able to do this at a decent level whether the Manager is with us or not.

Just my opinion but we are a bottom of the group CL side with what we have now.
Which is why we should have sold a player or two in the summer. We need to continually refresh the squad to ensure this recruitment issue doesn’t sneak up on us.

hopefully ross Wilson has it in hand. But dare I say it, maybe he doesn’t.

I guess the concern is we’re getting caught up in Steven Gerrard’s timeline at the club, whether he leaves at the end of this season or next. Ross Wilson’s job surely is to ensure continuity as well as ensuring maximum return on player sales.

Goldson is a key player but if he’s not signing should have been sold in the summer and replaced. A player running their contract down is rarely a good thing,

I think he's probably away if we're being honest.

You can be in denial a bit when it's your own team, when you see this situation at other clubs you just call it for what it is.

I'm sure there's Spurs fans that think Harry Kane is still 100% commited.

I guess the concern is we’re getting caught up in Steven Gerrard’s timeline at the club, whether he leaves at the end of this season or next. Ross Wilson’s job surely is to ensure continuity as well as ensuring maximum return on player sales.

Goldson is a key player but if he’s not signing should have been sold in the summer and replaced. A player running their contract down is rarely a good thing,
I think this is a key point.

Is Gerrard going to be that bothered what player's contract situations are when he leaves? Why would he be if they've performed for him?

I don't think he would be reckless about it but Wilson should be ensuring there isn't a player exodus at the end of Gerrard's reign.

Or he might leave because he would think four years is enough for the task he set himself here? We simply don't know.
I would say every coach wants to manage through the CL group stages.

The only way Gerrard leaves is if he can find that in another role.

Gerrard is not walking away from Champions League football, not in a million years.

I keep seeing this all the time. What benefit will he get out of going into the CL and us being cannon fodder? Winning 2IAR and leaving us in the CL is good enough for his CV.

He's smart enough to know our team needs serious cash spent on it to be competitive in the CL.

If we take a few doings in the CL, which is more than possible with our current team it adds nothing to his CV.

Gerrard is not walking away from Champions League football, not in a million years.

But there’s no guarantee we’d be in it past the qualifiers. This years attempt went awry and it’s glaringly obvious we need to spend to realistically compete. If Goldson and Kamara go for free who are we selling to fund it? Kent and Alfie? Then they have to be replaced out that money. I really think this will be Gerrard’s last season.

But there’s no guarantee we’d be in it past the qualifiers. This years attempt went awry and it’s glaringly obvious we need to spend to realistically compete. If Goldson and Kamara go for free who are we selling to fund it? Kent and Alfie? Then they have to be replaced out that money. I really think this will be Gerrard’s last season.
We're straight into the groups next season barring an unlikely winner of this seasons CL.

The only reason SG would leave now is if he feels he's fighting a losing battle. For example the board has run out of money to pay Kamara and Goldson what they want and there's no money for the players he feels he needs to buy. In addition guys like Morelos are just fannying around while making a fortune.

I keep seeing this all the time. What benefit will he get out of going into the CL and us being cannon fodder? Winning 2IAR and leaving us in the CL is good enough for his CV.

He's smart enough to know our team needs serious cash spent on it to be competitive in the CL.

If we take a few doings in the CL, which is more than possible with our current team it adds nothing to his CV.
He will want to test himself as a manager in the world's most prestigious competition.

If you think he has built this team from scratch only to get into the best club tournament on the planet and then goes 'nah not interested' I think your well wide of the mark.

I cant understand anyone on here disliking Gerrard. SG is a hero.
We only need to look at what Gerrard has brought us in terms of Europe , 55 and the value of players now to where we were when he walked in the door to realise the job he’s done with his team. We are lucky to have him, some people will never be happy

If we win the league and the winner of the champions league this season is already qualified for the champions league then it means we would go automatically into the champions league.

The only reason SG would leave now is if he feels he's fighting a losing battle. For example the board has run out of money to pay Kamara and Goldson what they want and there's no money for the players he feels he needs to buy. In addition guys like Morelos are just fannying around while making a fortune.
Gerrard said a few weeks ago that he thought the contract Kamara was offered was a very good one, and for a short period it looked as if he was going to agree to the terms, so the concern may be that the board can only back Gerrard to their limit, and we can't go further than that. Goldson going for free is sure to impact our budget, in that we need to find a replacement for him. The rebuilding next summer might be for someone else to do; personally I hope it's Gerrard doing it though.

Don't shoot the messenger, I've a mate who's a Burnley fan and reckons they've lined up Goldson when they sell Tarkowski in January. Contact already made.

We're straight into the groups next season barring an unlikely winner of this seasons CL.

But it’s still not a guarantee. Plus it’s assuming we win the league. And it’s still not guaranteed he’ll have money to spend to make improvements. What is good for us may not be what Gerrard sees as good to base his future career on is all I’m saying.

Last edited:
I said this a while ago, its all about money.

I believe some are being paid top dollar but are contributing little and this doesnt sit well with others who think its unfair. Im not going to name names as its fairly obvious.

Gerrard gave a press conference at the start of the season and he sounded very unhappy with things. That's not like him.

If you consider our start to the season you'll note who is putting in the effort and who isnt. The buzz word is "intensity". I prefer effort.

Some are just going through the motions and its lucky for us that Celtic are struggling. As for europe. We've played 5 games and been dreadful in all of them.
Excellent summary.

There was a staleness about us on Sunday & going through the motions just about summed it up - the sloppiness in & around the box was begging to be punished and so it was.

We look like losing goals right, left & centre, & have already lost to Dundee Utd & drawn with Motherwell - it's not good.

IMO there is a possibility of us sleepwalking into a broadly similar position to "Lenny's laughing stock mob" last season in that they thought that they would recover their form & win games if this scenario happened, then that scenario happened, then player A returned, then player B settled in, then something else fell into place & so on.

It never happened & we kept marching on, but what is going to turn it around for us at the moment? It's not obvious to me.

Don't shoot the messenger, I've a mate who's a Burnley fan and reckons they've lined up Goldson when they sell Tarkowski in January. Contact already made.
How depressing would that be, from 55 with us, Europe then Burnley. Would have to be ridiculous money in wages.

We don’t need to go through qualifiers if we win the league though. Unless were really really unlucky and the winners of it don’t qualify the league, most likely scenario is we win the league and we’re in the champs league as a default. We would probably know if we were in or not before he had to decide to stay or not.

I don't see why he wouldn't if he doesnt think we can be competitive. Would his reputation be better served if he left after taking us from the shambles he inherited, to winning a couple of titles and getting us to the CL, then saying he'd taken us as far as he can, or hanging around and overseeing a few serious beatings in the CL groups? His comments after the Malmo game suggests he doesn't believe we're good enough for the CL, so a lot will depend on what conversations he has with Wilson and the board in the coming months.

But it’s still not a guarantee. Plus it’s assuming we win the league. And it’s still not guaranteed he’ll have money to spend to make improvements. What is good for us may not be what Gerrard sees as good to base his future career on is all I’m saying.
We will know one way or another in May.

Every day that goes by without a contract signature - increases the likelyhood CG is away 1st chance he gets

IMO that means we need to get a decent
replacement in January - whether a bid comes in for him or not

That means potentially forking out hard cash - even if we've not got other transfer fees coming in at the time -

Or we rely on NK returning & going with what we've already got

I'd say a lot hinges on what the January window brings us

I wouldn't be surprised if we get renewed interest in many of our players come January-

The cautious nature of the summer window will IMO be gone & there's so many teams in England who clearly would be greatly improved by some of our players

I hope I'm wrong - but there could easily be a bit of a bidding war in the next window

While that would hopefully stop other teams seeing us as a bargain basement & actually bid money worthy of the player - it could also really test our resolve & leave us with an unbalanced & depleted squad

Every day that goes by without a contract signature - increases the likelyhood CG is away 1st chance he gets

IMO that means we need to get a decent
replacement in January - whether a bid comes in for him or not

That means potentially forking out hard cash - even if we've not got other transfer fees coming in at the time -

Or we rely on NK returning & going with what we've already got

I'd say a lot hinges on what the January window brings us

I wouldn't be surprised if we get renewed interest in many of our players come January-

The cautious nature of the summer window will IMO be gone & there's so many teams in England who clearly would be greatly improved by some of our players

I hope I'm wrong - but there could easily be a bit of a bidding war in the next window

While that would hopefully stop other teams seeing us as a bargain basement & actually bid money worthy of the player - it could also really test our resolve & leave us with an unbalanced & depleted squad

A bidding war? Thats pie in the sky stuff, we cant even get a bid that matches our valuation and we have players running down their contracts and leaving for free.

I personally think he's waiting to see if we win the league and qualify for the CL. I reckon if we'd have qualified this season he'd already have extended.

I think his next contract with us, if he signs one, will see him become top earner in the squad. He's probably earned that right just by the number of games he has played in fairness.

We are getting so late in the day now you wonder if he's waiting to see what offers come from down south.
I think that’s how he spent the summer.

Goldson was an utter rock for us last year but I’m sure he has always has an eye on Rangers as a shop window to a deal with an EPL side where he can get a nice contract to see him into his mid-30s.
And I don’t criticise him for it - in his shoes that’s exactly what I would see as a sensible set of circumstances.

The problem that we have is a player who doesn’t really want to be here and a lack on interest from buyers who will effectively fund replacing him.
The big man seems to be heading back to form after a shaky start this season - hopefully he performs well for us but there is a danger that he leaves for nothing, or next to nothing, and we still end up having to try to sell a more valuable player to fund replacements.

Most of our key players having contracts run out in 2023 at the latest is not exactly comforting.

Nobody expects ten year contracts but we also don't want a position where pretty much most of our assets could easily turn round and prefer a sign on bonus and huge wages at a new club.

The forward planning has been absolutely brutal and some of us are sick of hearing players are signing new deals then hearing nothing for another 6 months while their value decreases.

aaand relax....

Most times I would agree, but to leave us for Burnley would be a poor choice.

Not many clubs that a player from Rangers would be getting (guaranteed) regular first team football at an EPL side, so if it is Burnley for a player, then it's Burnley, in a realistic way. It's still EPL, which is the attraction.

A bidding war? Thats pie in the sky stuff, we cant even get a bid that matches our valuation and we have players running down their contracts and leaving for free.

Well maybe that does sound like it's OTT

I've based the comment on the premise that the summer window was subdued coming on the back of a season without fans in stadiums & the reluctance of even the wealthier clubs to part with cash
Presumably by January that caution won't be so strong ?

If the press reports are to be believed (maybe that's a bridge too far) - then clubs made cheapskate bids for some of our players - rather than the true market rate
I'm glad we rejected them - & with any luck others won't be so cheeky again

& I also can't see Everton being the only ones interested in Patterson - for example

But hey - maybe none of the above will cause a bidding war -
I still think it's possible though

If he was going to sign he would have by now. I wouldn't say his commitment to the club and team have dropped so at the moment I don't think it's affecting the team but that's not to say it won't do as it gets closer to Jan and next summer.
I agree his commitment hasn’t dropped but so far this season his performances have. Our defence looked bomb proof last season. It doesn’t this season.

I cant give any evidence but I have a feeling Goldson fancies a move back south and another crack at the EPL. It will be interesting to see how this plays out. On the surface it would appear no one came in for him in the off season. However, we dont know if there was a bid that didnt meet our valuation, hence the reason he is stalling on signing a new deal.

I get the feeling he is trying to keep all options open. I hope he acts soon though as his concentration has been lacking the season so far.

Hope so mate.
In all honesty if Goldson leaves he leaves.
I won't be shedding too many tears.

But... I want him to sign a new contract so the club at least recoup the money back for him if not double this.At the least.

It is the least ...he should do for Steven Gerrard and the club, who saved his career.

In all honesty if Goldson leaves he leaves.
I won't be shedding too many tears.

But... I want him to sign a new contract so the club at least recoup the money back for him if not double this.At the least.

It is the least ...he should do for Steven Gerrard and the club, who saved his career.
I agree - and I disagree.

I’ve always taken the view that no player is ‘irreplaceable’. Players come and go, Rangers keeps on going.

I too would hope Goldson signs a new deal. Helps us in the short term as we get longer to prepare a replacement and, as you say, brings us a fee.

However, I don’t agree that Goldson ‘should do it for Steven Gerrard’. Birthday card pish as they say on here.:) He has to look out for himself and his family. Nobody else. He was a massive part of last season and, as far as I’m concerned, he owes us nothing.

I still think he will extend.

Halliday just said on Clyde he isn’t worried about Goldson, says he loves it up here family are settled etc, he was on the phone to him five minutes before the show started (tried to phone someone else but phoned Goldson) got the impression Halliday knows he will extend but didn’t want to say anything in the radio.

The positive for me is that Kamara signing demonstrates that conversations are happening behind the scenes.

Extend the league lead and Goldson will see the opportunities that are in focus ahead.

A focused Conor Goldson was pivotal to our success in the season past.

But IMHO, in the EPL, he would join a 'merry go round' of centre backs who just wont cut it at any of the top six or seven clubs which are a level beyond most if not all Scottish Premiership and Conor. Let him prove me wrong !

As Brighton is the club local to me, he was very much a reason for reigniting my passion for the bears, something which had until then proved difficult from so far away.

Back