Goldson - outstanding tonight

He was outstanding tonight. Dominated everything and a proper leader at the back

Big man is an excellent Marshall of the defence. Which especially in Europe and the crash barriers is something we need.

He and Helander are fantastic “stoppers”. But Goldson was absolutely terrific. The clear leader back there.

First time he's really looked like our top-boy at the back.

Ball seemed like it was magnetised to him. Sign of a good CB
Just said this to my mate.
It was a Gough like performance in the sense that every ball into the box seemed to go to his head.
He won everything tonight.
His best performance for us.
His defensive partners were also all very good and solid as well.

Said ten minutes into game that we will need big performances from goldson and helander and they didn’t disappoint

Not had confidence in our defence like that for a long time

Agreed. CG doesn't always get the credit he deserves so delighted to see this thread. There is a reason why he is the gaffers first pick at the back and he showed it clearly tonight.

That’s just patently untrue.

Not to me it's not. Gerrard's preference is always Conor plus one. I think Katic was making a case for being our best centre back and suddenly he's fighting for a spot on the bench.

Goldson and Hellander are our best CH's but it's only in the last few weeks that's become clear.

Particularly from about 60m in, he just had that look of 'I refuse to be beaten'.

If we hadn't kept a clean sheet tonight I think he might have murdered someone.

If you can’t get one, get the other one, eh?
No mention of Tavernier’s covering?

Not sure what you mean. I always back the team and the players but you can’t deny we were exposed in our right back area a few times. It’s not necessary a dig at Tav as you’ve got to expect with him pushing forward.

Not to me it's not. Gerrard's preference is always Connor plus one. I think Katic was making a case for being our best centre back and suddenly he's fighting for a spot on the bench.

Goldson and Hellander are our best CH's but it's only in the last few weeks that's become clear.

I’m not getting into this again tonight, but you don’t understand the role of a dominant centre back if you believe that.

He talks the rest of the back four through every single game. Has done since day one. He sets the line, he directs and cajoles everything around him. Sets the line, leads the drop off.

He’s been a terrific signing.

Back