Goldson - what’s going on with him?

He was arguably our best player last week and close to our worst today.
But you can see and hear the fans have it in for him.
Watch him celebrate with Helander after the OF goal and tell me he doesn't care.

Bottom line we can't handle a player who doesn't sign a contract....
He had a better right back beside him last game, maybe he is the problem

See if having fans in ground is impacting his decision making, then frankly he can %^*& off anytime he likes, with thanks for last season. A player who isn't mentally able to concentrate with fans in attendance is of zero use to us.
Have you assumed the nonsense about him unable to play in front of a crowd is true just because that poster said it?

Do folk genuinely think the guy is playing badly to try and work himself a move / run down his contract?

That is an incredibly stupid line of thinking.

Of course not, but if he's not mentally focused, then that is showing in his level of performances.

Does he want away? Is he just going through the motions until an offer comes from elsewhere? Does he already know an offer is coming? I suppose only he, his agent and the gaffer will know. But one things for sure, his form (or lack thereof) is a huge concern, particularly with Helander injured and Simpson looking like a Scottish Championship level defender.

If we’re being honest, most of our squad are well off last season’s standards, but the decline in Goldson’s performances had been colossal thus far. From being (imo) the standout player in the league, to looking like an absolute calamity with keystone cops stuff at the back. One thing that was particularly frustrating today was his insistence on trying to blame his team mates for his own shortcomings. Given the sharp decline in performance levels and the contract issue, this is surely more than a simple case of a player out of form?
The worrying thing is he appears to be picking and choosing what games he plays 100% at. Solid against Lyon…..abysmal today

This season it’s been back to the Goldson of old. Last season was by far his best season and it appeared he had cut out the brain farts that he had the previous season. The same can be said about Tav but remember there are plenty on here who just won’t allow either players to be fairly criticised because of the inabilities in their games.

Have a feeling the tide is turning on Goldson due to his contract situation. Patterson deserves a run of games in the team.
Tav dived in (stupidly) on more than one occasion and almost cost us. These (Goldson included) are the issues that cost us badly in previous seasons. Lack of awareness, rash decision making end up dragging people all over the place at the back and we ship goals.

We are back to needing more goals up front to be comfortable. Like a few seasons ago.

Going through the motions, wanting to be elsewhere I reckon. The fact he hasn't signed a contract yet for me, speaks volumes.

Of course not, but if he's not mentally focused, then that is showing in his level of performances.

Maybe.

Or maybe he, like many other players in the team are having an indifferent season this year so far vs last? On FF we love to single out players but many fail to acknowledge the wider issues, and that it's a team game.

Working his ticket it feels. But sadly deemed undroppable even when in terrible form. We're short of CBs so it's a very tricky scenario

Going on the evidence of last season it seems he can’t concentrate 100% when he has a crowd watching him.

think he's in Protect the Asset mode, doesnt want to fully commit and get injured incase it jeopardises a big move which if true get him TF in January

Wouldn’t matter even if all our defenders were fit and firing, Goldson will never be dropped for anything other than an injury.
In fairness, poor as he was, he’s earned a bit of slack. He’s unlikely to be that bad again. Hopefully.

His ranting when he’s complicit in the error is proper winding me up now tbh.

Needs to sort his head out. He’s nowhere near as good as he thinks he is.

You’re the vice captain and champion ffs. Take some responsibility.
I have to agree with this. His ranting was great last year as he was clearly one who demanded standards.....but this year as soon as he messes up he is screaming at others, which makes his legitimate shouting completely worthless.

He’s overrated, he’s a good player but always got a mistake in him

People starting to see him as the liability that he is

its always an issue when a player knows he is undroppable. It inevitably leads to complacency

I really want him to sign a new contract. If he doesn't then he has to go.

Sounds harsh but that's the facts.

We cant allow his current contract to run out.
His contract expires in June.

that leaves us one window to punt him. What kind of fee could we realistically expect for a guy who will be 29 in December coming from the SPFL with 6 months left on his deal? It would be the square root of fuck all.

Not great from Goldson today, and he had too many unforced errors; he really needs to up his game to previous levels.

Our defence has gone from top class last season, to amateur hour almost every game this season with basic mistakes aplenty.
Goldson should have been punted, but it's too late now.

Says Mr Negative
To be fair I don’t really know why anyone would be wound up by this. He’s not been playing well, he’s a key player and he got off the hook big time today AND he’s yet to sign a new contract. So obviously it’s going to be a big discussion topic on a Rangers forum for Rangers related discussion, immediately after another poor showing.

Obviously a select few have waded in with drivel just because I started the topic and they’ve got a petty agenda against me specifically, but beyond that it’s seems like a pretty relevant topic. I think even the biggest optimist would struggle to be positive about his performance today.

And do you not think our manager is capable of managing the best for the club?

It doesn't work like punters think it will £30M for Alfie £25M for Hagi etc.....or just get rid of.......why did Kamara's deal take so long by the way?

We simply don't know the detail.
I think what I’m saying DG is entering the last 12 months in this way is a bad move for the club and id have instructed / advised to get another CD in . That would give me the chance to deselect the person involved . In this case CG .
I don’t know what has been said obviously , no . Like everyone else on the thread .

He has played at such a high level over the last 12 months until recently.
The season before last he had numerous lapses of concentration that he cut out last season.
When he’s not at his best, we look really nervous.
I think you have to cut the guy some slack because he has been outrageously good for such a long time.
There must be stuff going on behind the scenes about his future too which can’t fail to have some affect.

Big Fil's our best Ch by far, goldson and Morelos get a pass every game they have not turned up this season so far seem untouchable, not acceptable.

Watching him he doesn’t look like he wants to be here

sort out the contract and if he doesn’t want to sign it drop him. No player is bigger than this club

Did he not say in an interview pre season or at the start of this season that he hoped to get the contract situation sorted as it would play on his mind and affect his performances on the pitch.

I think he wants back to the EPL, surely he'd have signed by now,if that's the case ,fine,but he still has to show the form he's capable of while he's here.

Back