Gordon Smith fears half of all SPFL clubs could go bust

My personal opinion is Scotland has too many football teams anyway for a country this size less teams would surely improve attendences across the board

Oh no that's awful, looks like we'll have to try and get into the English system.

You think it's all milk and honey down there? No football means no TV money. I was told it was a 2 hour wait by Sky today. People are cancelling in their thousands.

May not be a bad thing, 42 clubs up here is ridiculous. Get us to 20 teams, 10 prem and 10 championship. 36 game season

My personal opinion is Scotland has too many football teams anyway for a country this size less teams would surely improve attendences across the board

How would that work? Hibs and Hearts form Edinburgh United?

It is not a fear of mine. A lot of clubs I would like to see go to the wall

I'd love to be able to pick the half to go bust and disappear never to be seen again. I'd absolutely love some e of these
Rangers hating bastards to go bust.

Change the thread title to Gordon Smith hopes half the SPFL clubs go bust.... and he would undoubtedly be the ex-Rangers forward.....

In your dreams. We wont be playing in any english league. They dont need us and they never will.

Well, this virus may see a few of their teams go down the swanee as well. Maybe the time will be ripe for a merger, especially if the likes of BT and Sky are for it.

Well, this virus may see a few of their teams go down the swanee as well. Maybe the time will be ripe for a merger, especially if the likes of BT and Sky are for it.
To be honest mate, I see a european league merger coming and i thought that before all of this. We wont be in the top league, but it would still be better than where we are

That's why I was happy to see us get a good euro run before we ended up in with the baltic countries and the likes.

To be honest mate, I see a european league merger coming and i thought that before all of this. We wont be in the top league, but it would still be better than where we are

That's why I was happy to see us get a good euro run before we ended up in with the baltic countries and the likes.
Like this year If we get to play, Danish, Dutch, Portuguese, Swiss, Polish and German cracks there's plenty there to suggest fans will be excited. It will be different and take time but it's an exciting prospect, far more exciting than having to play Dundee HIVs 3x next season

In an article about clubs going bust the article links him to being in charge of our board, which was during Whyte's time in charge. He wasn't even our Chief Executive, he was the Director of Football at that time.

And folk are snarling about them describing him as a Kilmarnock forward...
They're clearly trolling.

Like this year If we get to play, Danish, Dutch, Portuguese, Swiss, Polish and German cracks there's plenty there to suggest fans will be excited. It will be different and take time but it's an exciting prospect, far more exciting than having to play Dundee HIVs 3x next season
Thats exactly the way I seen it going mate. There already seemed to be things leading in this direction before with talk of european leagues. May even be quicker after this is over.

That's why I'm glad that we competed with that standard of teams. Long way from being humiliated by a team from Luxembourg. I was worried we were going to be left with that standard of opposition.

Scottish football needs rid of at least 10 teams. If they go part time so be it! Clubs will merge out of desperation & in time we’ll have a normal set up. Might be shit, but the sport will recover in time

We’ll survive. I’ve got the cigar & brandy ready anyway for the first one to go

Clubs won't merge. Merging teams doesnt work. Fans would walk away from the game rather than support a merged team or any other team.

And Scotland already has more part time teams than full time teams.

High time a lot of teams thought about amalgamating. This could be the ideal opportunity. We have way too many 'senior' teams for a country of this size.

High time a lot of teams thought about amalgamating. This could be the ideal opportunity. We have way too many 'senior' teams for a country of this size.

Amalgamating really worked well for Inverness Caley Thistle didnt it?

Clubs won't merge. Merging teams doesnt work. Fans would walk away from the game rather than support a merged team or any other team.

And Scotland already has more part time teams than full time teams.
I understand what your saying, but these small clubs have their own history and even though they have fewer fans, they love their club as much as any others.

What if uefa said were going to have a super league with all major football cities competing, but they insisted these clubs would need to amalgamate to compete in it.

I know what your answer would be along with every other poster on here.

I understand what your saying, but these small clubs have their own history and even though they have fewer fans, they love their club as much as any others.

What if uefa said were going to have a super league with all major football cities competing, but they insisted these clubs would need to amalgamate to compete in it.

I know what your answer would be along with every other poster on here.

If thats what you think then you know nothing of my answer.

I'm absolutely opposed to merging teams or cutting the number of professional sides in Scotland. It's a barmy idea. It doesnt matter if a club attracts 500 fans or 50,000 - those 500 fans don't deserve to be treated with disdain. History matters. Diversity matters. Having community clubs that serve fans who would otherwise be excluded from live football matters.

If thats what you think then you know nothing of my answer.

I'm absolutely opposed to merging teams or cutting the number of professional sides in Scotland. It's a barmy idea. It doesnt matter if a club attracts 500 fans or 50,000 - those 500 fans don't deserve to be treated with disdain. History matters. Diversity matters. Having community clubs that serve fans who would otherwise be excluded from live football matters.
Wasnt having a go at what you posted, actually agree with you. Worded it wrong.

Maybe more teams will end up part time. Wouldn't want to see the lower league teams overly suffer but not remotely arsed about the rest. Given the joy they took in our darkest days, they can all get f#Kd. We have to look after ourselves and only ourselves.

Back