Hampden Park history

Hampden remains the second most significant stadium in Rangers' history and is still an iconic name in world football, as equally as important to fans to Scotland as it is Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Sevilla.

The calls for it to be permanently demolished always strike me as a little sad. There are genuinely few places in football that are as historical, social and cultural significant as Hampden. Renovate it, yes, but keep it where it is.

Hampden remains the second most significant stadium in Rangers' history and is still an iconic name in world football, as equally as important to fans to Scotland as it is Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Sevilla.

The calls for it to be permanently demolished always strike me as a little sad. There are genuinely few places in football that are as historical, social and cultural significant as Hampden. Renovate it, yes, but keep it where it is.
It bears no resemblance now to what it was.
I also doubt there is the room in that area to create a proper huge stadium and the transport links are horrendous

I also doubt there is the room in that area to create a proper huge stadium and the transport links are horrendous

No, it doesn't, but the national stadium should remain in Glasgow given that the vast majority of games played there involve Glasgow teams. My suggestion would be to improve the transport links.

You could have easily a minimum 70k/75k stadium on that land as you could bring 3 stands closer to the pitch and have an upper tier on each but the issue of the South Stand could cause it problems in the design

As you say would need to improve the transport links to accommodate that

The calls to get rid are quite often led by Yahoos which makes me highly suspicious. I think Rangers fans should think carefully about joining such a campaign.

It does need renovation of the 3 stands. Never understood the complaints about transport. It's not as if Ibrox and the Piggery are emptied quickly of 50,000-60,000 people. It's the nature of thousands of people leaving one place at the same time.

No, it doesn't, but the national stadium should remain in Glasgow given that the vast majority of games played there involve Glasgow teams. My suggestion would be to improve the transport links.
That costs a lot of money the uk doesn’t do infrastructure investment . We can’t connect Glasgow airport to the city let alone the communties it somehow is expected to serve and we can’t connect Scotland to the rest of the uk let alone Europe and the rest of the world . Not enough people value it for some reason .

Makes no sense to me .

The calls to get rid are quite often led by Yahoos which makes me highly suspicious. I think Rangers fans should think carefully about joining such a campaign.

It does need renovation of the 3 stands. Never understood the complaints about transport. It's not as if Ibrox and the Piggery are emptied quickly of 50,000-60,000 people. It's the nature of thousands of people leaving one place at the same time.
Exactly. Go for a pint until the train queue dies down, or get a bus back in to the town. Or walk.

Just remember, when they quote those record crowds they don’t include the number “lifted over”, climbed the wall to get in etc etc. nobody ever knew the actual numbers that were there.

it has a railway station within a 10 minute walk at each end of the ground, and another 2 stations twenty minutes away (cathcart &crosshill), 2 bus routes on Aikenhead rd. 5 bus routes on Battlefield rd, plenty bus routes from Shawlands should you wish to walk over that way , and of course the M74 a mile from Hampden, transport options from this ground are much better than at most Scottish grounds

it has a railway station within a 10 minute walk at each end of the ground, and another 2 stations twenty minutes away (cathcart &crosshill), 2 bus routes on Aikenhead rd. 5 bus routes on Battlefield rd, plenty bus routes from Shawlands should you wish to walk over that way , and of course the M74 a mile from Hampden, transport options from this ground are much better than at most Scottish grounds

It's actually better served than Ibrox.

It’s an absolute dive of a stadium
And in 2024 it’s shocking that our national stadium hasn’t been redeveloped

For £20 million more than the Hampden rebuild cost Cardiff got the Millennium Stadium, retractable roof and all.

Back