Harry Hood has died

To be fair - he had a great career and made a good living running pubs etc and by and large people who dealt with him reported a decent human being.

He might have played for our rivals and been the butt of a few songs and chants but he was from a time which now seems rather saner than the internet chaos and clyping that passes for rivalry these days.

He was always nice when I bumped into him in Angels, decent guy

Heard last week he got the last rights so it was on the cards

Last edited:
To be fair - he had a great career and made a good living running pubs etc and by and large people who dealt with him reported a decent human being.

He might have played for our rivals and been the butt of a few songs and chants but he was from a time which now seems rather saner than the internet chaos and clyping that passes for rivalry these days.

My old man played against him in the juniors as Hood's career was coming to an end and my dad was in his early 20s.

He said he was the cleanest striker of a ball that he played against.

Also said he just played his game and didn't get involved in the verbals.

My old man played against him in the juniors as Hood's career was coming to an end and my dad was in his early 20s.

He said he was the cleanest striker of a ball that he played against.

Also said he just played his game and didn't get involved in the verbals.
Can you imagine today's players stepping down to play juniors? These guys in the 60s played because they loved it. And had a Damn site more respect for each other as well.

Can you imagine today's players stepping down to play juniors? These guys in the 60s played because they loved it. And had a Damn site more respect for each other as well.

Too true mate.

He also played against Jim Brogan, a couple of the Thistle 4--1 LC winning team and also Jim Denny, who was Irvine Vics player manager at the time.

I think Alex McAnespie was player manager at Cumnock then too.

He always said that all the ex seniors were absolutely sound and were only interested in playing the game.

Deepest condolences to Harry Hood's family.

My mate became a publican and was invited to join the Vintners, a charitable organisation of RC businessmen (mainly pub owners). They then discovered he was a masonic bluenose. The older members wanted his membership offer withdrawn.
They had a golf section, and played every Tuesday and Thursday. Harry Hood was the captain and invited my mate as his guest every time he played golf and he became a member. Billy McNeill refused to become a member due to its RC only membership

Of course we had that famous song about him but he seemed one of their more decent guys. Been quite a lot of comments on here about him over the years and nobody had a bad word to say about him.

Died after a long illness,met him a couple of times through my job delivering for the brewery,had a good bit of banter with him,not a bad guy... RIP

Met him a few times through my job delivering for the brewery,had a good bit of banter with him,not a bad guy... RIP

RIP Harry

Ran a great pub the Croft which was and is very Bear friendly.
When it first oppened the tim scum from Castlemilk tried to take over. Harry was having none of it. Jovial big man and a shit joke teller. One of the few good guys from the other side.

Was in Angels a few weeks ago and it was mobbed. Always is I’m led to believe. If the Parkville and Dalziel Park are the same he’ll have been sitting on a gold mine. A good inheritance for his family.

RIP

He scored the only goal of the game in my first ever Old Firm game. September 20th 1969 on a rain soaked day at Ibrox.

Heartfelt Condolences To His Family And Many Friends.

Sad news, my husband knew him and his family through business, said Harry was a good man and his family were just the same. I met him once in Angels when he came over to our table for a chat. They wer also very generous, giving us prizes for various fundraising that we have did for charity. RiP Harry

RIP Harry!! Another gone from a classier era!!

(Just curious, do they pay respect on their forums when our ex-players/legends sadly pass away?)

Back