"Has it ever been home?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
An excellent point indeed. Talk about '66 was never to gloat in fact it was a measuring stick to see how England had underperformed since then, or at least perceived to have done.

Saying England will lose because you dont want them to win is as daft as saying 'its in the bag'. Clearly they have to get past a very sturdy Denmark then beat an exceptionally good Italy so its very much sitting next to the bag and waiting to see whatll happen.

The things you can defo count on are England being in form, Denmark being tailor made for them in terms of style and the home advantage theyll enjoy. They also have a vast experience edge over both Denmark and Italy as far as tournament high end games go.

So all things considered, logically, it does look far more likely England will win and Football will finally come home.
England have vast experience edge over Italy?

Scotland out the tournament Scotland fans can't stop speaking about England lol It show how many wee man syndromes there is in Scotland no wonder the nationalists get voted in.

Even Ian Wright said what a stupid question, on ITV’s highlights last night.
Players and Southgate are coming across better than some of the media.
Having said that, England are winning this tournament. So everyone get prepared for the overkill :D
The cretinous Wright calling someone stupid.

Supreme Irony.

Scotland out the tournament Scotland fans can't stop speaking about England lol It show how many wee man syndromes there is in Scotland no wonder the nationalists get voted in.
why would you stop watching a major football tournament if Scotland got knocked out? :D

I didn't watch it for them, I watch it because I love watching the game of football

I must admit a wee part of me wants Denmark to win a) after what happened to Erickson it would be a great football story if they went and won the euros and b)the meltdown would be glorious especially after rio Ferdinand last night claiming the England are better than Spain and Italy.sorry on last nights game Spain and Italy are far more enjoyable to watch than England and if England get through Italy will beat them in the final

why would you stop watching a major football tournament if Scotland got knocked out? :D

I didn't watch it for them, I watch it because I love watching the game of football
Last night I sat and watched an outstanding game of football,in fact probably one of the best international tournament semi-finals I have seen.two top quality teams just going for it.i might be wrong I don’t see tonight’s game reaching those heights and I love watching Italy not because I don’t want England to win it but I love the way they play and they seem to have a incredibly good team spirit

There's nothing arrogant about the lyrics to Three Lions. It's about love and hope is all. It's basically saying, "we're pretty shit, everyone knows we are, we were good once though, maybe we can be again"?
Original version yes, 98 version not so much

So England are just jolly well pleased that the semi's and final have come to the home of football ?
They have no expectation that England are bound to win it through any sense of entitlement.
I’m not sure this is the case.
They know they’ve got to play to win.

I’m not sure this is the case.
They know they’ve got to play to win.
Sorry I was thinking more about the English media here. It's the inflated expectations of the media I think that has so often in turn heaped pressure on the players. It's all the EPL hype as well.
My general impression from this thread is that nobody really wishes ill will to the England players.

Come on England! Supported Scotland through the group until the Alky Clarke and his dinosaur tactics sent us packing. All focus on the home nations since then which didn’t last too long for Wales admittedly. Looking forward to watching tonight’s game even more because I’m down in London.

How is it xenophobic or bigoted to not want what we perceive as a fierce rival to win?

You also happy when celtic win?
That’s a matter of opinion as to whether you perceive them as a fierce rival or not.

Nationalists in Scotland are bigoted in their view towards England. If you’re not a Natzi and just don’t like England in footballing terms, fine, but I think that’s what the poster was getting at.

In the same way that Scotland is the home of golf, England is the home of football.

So for me when the biggest tournament in the continent is based there, football is effectively coming home.

At the time the song was penned, the misnomer was 30 years of hurt..
If that was the case then they'd be saying football is home as part of the tournament is there. I think it's interpreted now as the trophy is coming "home". But has never actually been won by them before. A bit strange.

The English idea of football was running about with a pig’s bladder leathering each other and rolling about on the floor.

Queens Park FC introduced passing and formations and really created the modern game. So Hampden is arguably the real home of football.

And if you subscribe to that view then you know that football is never, ever coming home.

That’s a matter of opinion as to whether you perceive them as a fierce rival or not.

Nationalists in Scotland are bigoted in their view towards England. If you’re not a Natzi and just don’t like England in footballing terms, fine, but I think that’s what the poster was getting at.
Edited: The majority of Scottish people supporting Scotland would perceive England as a fierce rival (in a sporting context), regardless if they are nationalists or unionists. England fans don't necessarily agree and I can understand why (since we are usually pish).

It has been quoted a few times in recent posts about rangers fans supporting Scotland (but not England) and that being in some way wrong. The point I'm making as a Scottish Brit is that we can support Scotland, support the union and not support England without being labelled bigots.

In the same way as me, a Glaswegian can support Rangers but want Celtic to get beat regardless of who they are playing.

The majority of Scottish people supporting Scotland would perceive England as a fierce rival (in a sporting context), regardless if they are nationalists or unionists. England fans don't necessarily agree and I can understand why (since we are usually pish).

It has been quoted a few times in recent posts about rangers fans supporting Scotland and that being in some way wrong. The point I'm making as a Scottish Brit is that we can support Scotland, support the union and not support England without being labelled bigots.

In the same way as me, a Glaswegian can support Rangers but want Celtic to get beat regardless of who they are playing.
I don’t disagree with you, and viewing them as that is fine. I wanted to beat them in the groups but it doesn’t mean I don’t want them to win it now we’re out. I’d far rather see a British nation win it than I would a non-British nation, as someone who identifies as being British.

Personally I don’t view the Scotland-England rivalry as anything like the Rangers-Celtic rivalry but again, each to their own.

I don’t think you’re a bigot for wanting England to lose either btw for clarity, you’ve as much right to want them to lose as I’ve got to want them to win. I think Scottish Nationalists are bigots though for their complete hatred of anything English (or British for that matter).

I guarantee you someone in stone age times kicked a sheep's bladder out of the cave and got a high five from his neanderthal mate, but that doesn't make it football as we know it. You have to start somewhere and it's generally accepted it started in England. That's where the first recognised teams were founded.
Same as the argument about China inventing it but that wasn't football as we know it. And if the history as we know it is correct it wasn't football as we know until the Scots went down there and started playing a wide open game, rather than just rugby with a round ball using your feet. Made in England and refined by Scottish players.... how things have changed

There's nothing arrogant about the lyrics to Three Lions. It's about love and hope is all. It's basically saying, "we're pretty shit, everyone knows we are, we were good once though, maybe we can be again"?
I think the major issue is that phrase is being spouted by people who would never watch football but that's all they say, so it has a negative feeling behind it for people who aren't England fans

I want Italy to win the competition because they've been the best team for me in the tournament but despite the fact I wouldn't really care if England won it as it wouldn't change my life, it's nauseating watching people on politics shows, live magazine things saying it when they wouldn't be batting an eyelid at the tournament until it reaches a major point. I don't watch it but I expect Loose Women on ITV will be mentioning it today when there is 0% chance they'd mention football at any other point. The most simple thing is to say people are doing some major bandwagon jumping

I don’t disagree with you, and viewing them as that is fine. I wanted to beat them in the groups but it doesn’t mean I don’t want them to win it now we’re out. I’d far rather see a British nation win it than I would a non-British nation, as someone who identifies as being British.

Personally I don’t view the Scotland-England rivalry as anything like the Rangers-Celtic rivalry but again, each to their own.

I don’t think you’re a bigot for wanting England to lose either btw for clarity, you’ve as much right to want them to lose as I’ve got to want them to win. I think Scottish Nationalists are bigots though for their complete hatred of anything English (or British for that matter).
I agree with you on the point about most nationalist supporters. Their bigotry and hatred of England/Britain/Rangers is rancid.

Yeah but to be fair, Kasper can't hold onto the ball for 25 mins of a match like his Dad did when Denmark won it. Single handedly changed the backpass laws forever
What a lot of rubbish.

There were calls for the change in the law for years before that, going back to the mid 80's at least. By Italia '90 it was inevitable that change was coming.

How is it xenophobic or bigoted to not want what we perceive as a fierce rival to win?

You also happy when celtic win?
Celtic are our rivals in almost every way.
They’ll probably see it the same way.
England may well be seen as Scotland’s rival but that’s pretty much one sided.
Scotland is seen as a rival in England in the same way as we see Aberdeen.
I know that has been said a number of times but, I have first hand evidence, spending a lot of time down there at work, and would agree with that view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back