Has not signing a goalscorer in January killed us

Clement has got the best out the players and that was needed but failure to sign a natural goalscorer in January has cost us yes.

The squad he inherited wasn’t great at all (Beale) but shifting that and getting best out players was great but we all knew we need someone to put chances away.

It’s frustrating to watch as it’s now costing us.

Interesting to see who he will be after but fresh faces required.

As per the thread title, would signing a proven 'number 9' have made a difference to us? I know instinctively most will say yes, so looking at the 2 defeats v Motherwell, Ross County and the draw v celtic would a better striker than Dessers have made the difference?
We should of signed Shankland,we’d have still been in Europe and have beaten them.

As per the thread title, would signing a proven 'number 9' have made a difference to us? I know instinctively most will say yes, so looking at the 2 defeats v Motherwell, Ross County and the draw v celtic would a better striker than Dessers have made the difference?
That and yilmaz injury

We were told that Silva was signed to play as striker.

People were laughed at for saying Silva wasn't a striker, even though he said so himself.

Silva subsequently hasn't played as a striker.

No proven goalscorer or completely ignoring CB (bar Balogun) for 2 windows has hurt us equally.

we've only failed to score in 1 game since Jan 1st
defence has cost us with a total collapse in recent weeks

Jan & Feb we lost 4 goals in 9 games
Mar & Apr we've lost 9 goals in 4 games

its clear

Clearly we didn't have any money to spend in January but clearly Silva wasn't the right type of signing we needed on loan either.

We are not clinical enough up front and need too many chances before we score. Midfield players did chip in with goals for a few weeks (Lawrence and Diomande) but that seems to have dried up also.

Main weakness at the moment is not keeping clean sheets though - we seem very nervous and are far too easy to play through.

unless we were bringing in someone that was scoring at least twice in most games then I'm not sure it would have made much difference, when you are consistently conceding as cheaply and as often as we do in most games,then for me the priority was at the other end of the pitch, our backline will ultimately cost us this seasons title,

A strong spine = success. We started with a good GK to replace McGregor. Nothing else. We need 2 good new CBs(at least), another CM complaining with Diomande and a 9 that can actually finish more than 1 in 5 chances

A strong spine = success. We started with a good GK to replace McGregor. Nothing else. We need 2 good new CBs(at least), another CM complaining with Diomande and a 9 that can actually finish more than 1 in 5 chances
As good as Yilmaz has been he can't be relied upon to remain fit so there is another position that needs looked at.

A midfield of Raskin, Diomande and Cantwell could potentially be good enough if you had Cortes, Sima and a decent finisher in front of them but I don't think Danilo, Dessers or Silva are good enough.

based on the last four games we needed

vs Motherwell - score 3
vs Hibs - score 2
vs Yahoos - score 4
vs Ross County - score 4

average of 3.25 goals per game is unsustainable for any length of time

based on the last four games we needed

vs Motherwell - score 3
vs Hibs - score 2
vs Yahoos - score 4
vs Ross County - score 4

average of 3.25 goals per game is unsustainable for any length of time
We could have fell over the line though with a good goalscorer even if its winning 3-2 or whatever it takes.

There is not much point listing the goals we lose as plenty of them will come when we are chasing it due to missing chances if we go 2 up at the weekend there is next to no chance we lose 3 goals and get beat.

We already have 28 senior players. We couldnt afford any more in January.

What's costing us is years of drivel transfers on players that are not robust and are not contributing to the team.

We could have fell over the line though with a good goalscorer even if its winning 3-2 or whatever it takes.

There is not much point listing the goals we lose as plenty of them will come when we are chasing it due to missing chances if we go 2 up at the weekend there is next to no chance we lose 3 goals and get beat.

Agree. Goals change games. If we go in 2up at half-time it's a different match. And despite all of the chances, ours goals came from an OG and a penalty.

In January, we took the risk of thinking Dessers would see us through and we brought in Silva, Cortes + Diomande. Sima's injury was unfortunate but we knew he'd be away due to Afcon.

In keeping with prior windows, we made a bit of an arse of it.

I wonder what the folk on here who mocked the ones wanting Shankland in January are thinking now?
We are still shipping goals at an alarming rate though regardless if we had someone like Shankland or not.
I am still not convinced personally if Shankland would have been worth the more than substantial lay out required in January,and I didn't get involved in the mocking of him in any threads you are refering to may I add.

We were told that Silva was signed to play as striker.

People were laughed at for saying Silva wasn't a striker, even though he said so himself.

Silva subsequently hasn't played as a striker.
The injury to Cortes has also been a factor here as it has forced us to use him wide. But I agree. He doesn’t look like a nine.

unless we were bringing in someone that was scoring at least twice in most games then I'm not sure it would have made much difference, when you are consistently conceding as cheaply and as often as we do in most games,then for me the priority was at the other end of the pitch, our backline will ultimately cost us this seasons title,
You say that. But if we had a striker who could finish, we would have been 2-0 up in Dingwall. The second half wouldn’t have happened

Agree. Goals change games. If we go in 2up at half-time it's a different match. And despite all of the chances, ours goals came from an OG and a penalty.

In January, we took the risk of thinking Dessers would see us through and we brought in Silva, Cortes + Diomande. Sima's injury was unfortunate but we knew he'd be away due to Afcon.

In keeping with prior windows, we made a bit of an arse of it.
Agreed. You need to look at this in the context of the game. We had the chance to be three up at half time if we score two straightforward chances. It changes the game.

Irrelevant RE: yesterdays. Dessers misses a sitter at 1-0 which kills the game if it goes in. County lose any hope and certainly don't go onto score 3.

No excusing the defence which is also a fucking disgrace.
This is my argument too pal. Our forwards aren’t killing teams off when they have the chance therefore giving the opposition encouragement to attack. We go two or three up, we’re forcing teams to shut up shop to avoid a hammering.

We are still shipping goals at an alarming rate though regardless if we had someone like Shankland or not.
I am still not convinced personally if Shankland would have been worth the more than substantial lay out required in January,and I didn't get involved in the mocking of him in any threads you are refering to may I add.
The point being he'd have buried many of the chances Dessers misses hence winning us more games

Our defensive frailties have been a bigger factor this season. Literally anyone can score against us. This was obvious last summer and nothing was done.

Back