Have We Ever Been Scotland’s Team?

Not in my lifetime. My late father summed it up for me. When Celtic played in Lisbon 67 the vast majority of Scots wanted them to win. When Rangers played in Barcelona 72 the vast majority outside Rangers wanted us to lose.
Really, how sad. I could never support the bheasts and I wouldn’t have expected them to want us to win but the ‘neutrals’ clearly have deep rooted issues with us.

Back in Scot Symons time we were Scotlands Team, it’s also quite funny the original folk group the Corries on a sleeve came away with a a comment something like Scotland wouldn’t be Scotland without Glasgow Rangers.

I maintain that the charade surrounding ‘sectarianism’ was always intended as an exercise in marginalising Rangers as a club and support in Scottish life and revolved around the number of Catholics who had achieved influential positions in politics and the media - figures like McConnell and Spiers saw a very useful bandwagon on which to hitch a ride.
McConnell and Spiers epitomise the self loathing culture that is so prevelant in society today.

I maintain that the charade surrounding ‘sectarianism’ was always intended as an exercise in marginalising Rangers as a club and support in Scottish life and revolved around the number of Catholics who had achieved influential positions in politics and the media - figures like McConnell and Spiers saw a very useful bandwagon on which to hitch a ride.
This resonates with me.

All my life I have had to listen to ‘how hard done to’ the poor Catholics in Scotland are.

Since leaving school in 1977, and having worked all my life since in various jobs and organisations, I have yet to encounter one of the cult who has been denied advancement due to their religion.

The most ironic statement I ever heard came from one who blithely opined ‘Kaffliks canny get on in ra polis, ye’ve got to be a Mason tae get promotion’.

The look of utter bewilderment on his wee rat face when I pointed out the Chief Constable of Strathclyde Polis ie the big kahuna, top dog, numero uno, at that precise moment was one Patrick Hamill, a well known Catholic and no friend of Freemasons, was almost worth seeing after having to endure his slevvering nonsense.

In short I agree with you, it’s a tactic used to further Catholic ideology in an attempt to prevent the faux Irish culture being absorbed by us big bad Brits.

You only need to look at how the other clubs in the country view us and what they say about us along with the fact that teams play their hearts out against us, we truly are the team most clubs dream of being, it hurts them.

I disagree with that.

The media got behind both and no-one really publicly spoke about sectarianism in those days. There were certainly a lot of middle-class Protestants (perhaps mostly nominal) who got behind Celtic because they were very naive. Celtic being successful on the park also made a difference (they had played second fiddle since the War).

Rangers-Aberdeen games were actually fairly friendly affairs - certainly there was none of the manufactured hatred from Aberdeen fans we see today.

I’d say things started to change by the 80s, especially with the arrival of Souness, the presence of Roxburgh as Scotland manager and the hijacking of the national team by kilt-wearing nationalists. Back in the 60s and 70s men with kilts were viewed as ridiculous.
The change from Aberdeen was Fergie. His success and siege mentality affected their fans and their numbers massively. This being just around the time of the emergence of football casuals and Aberdeen being at the forefront of that just added to the poisonous atmosphere at matches

The most ironic statement I ever heard came from one who blithely opined ‘Kaffliks canny get on in ra polis, ye’ve got to be a Mason tae get promotion’.

The look of utter bewilderment on his wee rat face when I pointed out the Chief Constable of Strathclyde Polis ie the big kahuna, top dog, numero uno, at that precise moment was one Patrick Hamill, a well known Catholic and no friend of Freemasons, was almost worth seeing after having to endure his slevvering nonsense.

In short I agree with you, it’s a tactic used to further Catholic ideology in an attempt to prevent the faux Irish culture being absorbed by us big bad Brits.
Can you imagine the reaction if P.C. William King stood up and said” Today I welcome you all the the inaugural meeting of the Protestant Police Officers Association”?

Mayhem would ensue, yet our society happily accepts that a similar organisation exists solely for R.C. Officers.

Most of the quiet majority have a begrudging admiration for us, only the noisy minority (social media trolls) make it look like we're hated and paint us as thugs etc. We don't need to be told we're Scotland's team we're Rangers and we're bigger than that.

The first score in Scottish football people look for each weekend is our score. More than half to see that we've won and the rest check in the hope we've lost or at least dropped points.

So, in a way I guess we're Scotland's team in that sense. Scotland's biggedt club alwsys generates the most interest.

Back