Hearts fans’ tirade towards Leigh Griffiths symptomatic of football’s abuse culture problem, writes Bill Leckie

Griffiths is a stain on society, up until a few months ago he was messaging underage girls. I’d say he’s fair game for any sort of abuse.

Sooner he’s locked up in a jail cell the better. Absolute vermin

And also, we know lonely Bill will be reading this, so away and stick your converse on and go for a run in the rain

Bill the bore didn't seem to have a moral compass in his early days when messing around with and stealing another guys wife.
But lets not shout bad stuff about peados eh Bill the bore

I remember when Bitter Bill couldn't even bare to to type the word England in his pushy articles. Instead it was always 'E*gla*d'.

Now he somehow considers himself the moral guardian of Scottish football?

Fuck off you sad bitter, lonely, little prick.

Leckie wrote this last year.

An extremely distasteful article by Tinderman and appears to be because of the team Alf plays for, the country he comes from and maybe the colour of his skin?

Last edited:
In the absence of our game on Saturday I watched the stream of Hearts v Dundee...plenty possession but nothing up top prevented a mauling for Leigh's team.

He got it stinking from first minute until he came off after 60 mins or so...and I mean they didn't let up for a minute. Was great to see.

That's us been telt Bears, by Mr Leckie. So when we play Dundee at Ibrox and Wee Leigh is on the pitch, let's all cheer him up with a rousing chorus of, "For Leigh's a jolly good fellow"!

Bill Leckie attended the Hearts v Dundee game with the column already written
This has been football for years all over the world.
If Griffiths was on the terracing he’d be taking part.
Bill just wanted a big bright torch shone on his groundbreaking journalism
The story is all about Bill Leckie
He just had to pick the right game to get his piece in the paper

WE’RE brought up to believe that our actions in life will always speak louder than words.

It’s a proverb screwed up into a ball and volleyed over the main stand every week in Scottish football.

Because, no matter what actions we take to fight back against bigotry, they’re being drowned out like a whisper in a hurricane.

Sure, we wear the anti-racism T-shirts, we slap the stickers on our shirts, we wave the placards and we take the knee.

But what’s the point if when the whistle blows all bets are off on what we’re allowed to shout?

There’s no point, absolutely none. All those gestures, the campaigns — no matter how well-meaning — come to nothing if we then close our ears to the levels of sheer malice that way too many believe is their right to spew because they’ve paid for a ticket.

Truth is, we’re kidding ourselves if we believe racism is even close to being our game’s most serious attitude problem.

That line about a ticket giving some the right to dole out abuse came from Dundee frontman Jason Cummings on Saturday, after his equaliser against Hearts at Tynecastle had sparked a barrage of verbal and physical missiles.

But even his treatment was nothing compared to the merciless, brainless, tasteless treatment his team-mate Leigh Griffiths had suffered from the minute he trotted out to warm up.

The worst of it came from a section of the home support at the front of the main stand, who chanted over and over.

But even the majority who didn’t join in with their level of nastiness hit the guy with every insult imaginable.

It was all as brutal as it was needless — and when Cummings shook his head and sighed that what his mate had endured was “disgusting”, he was bang on.

I write this as someone who never shies away from criticising Griffiths on the many occasions when his conduct on and off the pitch lets him down.

But the thought of spending 90 minutes screaming hatred at anyone else just for being ALIVE . . . well, it simply doesn’t compute.

Yet that’s what we hear at almost every ground, almost every week, even if not often to the dark levels Griffiths has to endure on a regular basis.

That, as Cummings put it, is what comes as standard with the ticket.

It’s almost impossible to be more than a yard away from someone who crosses the line between raw passion and naked anger, between banter and bile.

You can’t watch a telly game without microphones picking up the kind of abuse some of my fellow St Mirren supporters hurled at pretty much everyone during our defeat to Rangers yesterday.

Shout the same stuff in the street within earshot of a cop and you’d be lifted in two seconds flat.

So why it’s acceptable in a crowd at a sporting event, no matter how upset we might be at losing, is way beyond me.

Then, of course, we have the Old Firm themselves, quite rightly getting bent out of shape when racism rears its hideous head — as it did recently when Glen Kamara was on the receiving end — yet looking at their shoes and whistling when it comes to the weekly sectarian karaoke sessions their own supporters subject the rest of us to.

I’ll keep repeating it until something gets done — replace “orange” and “19th Century Terrorist” with “black” in their songs and there would be questions asked in parliament before you could say bandwagon.

Holyrood would be demanding stadiums were shut as punishment, the SFA would be appointing a former player from each club as Anti-Sectarianism Czars.

We’ve seen that with racism, ever since the first players took a knee when the English Premier League came out of lockdown last summer.

There’s been a huge — and hugely impressive — push to drive the white-is-right brigade out of the game.

The knee’s become as much a part of matchday as the coin-toss, every suggestion of someone being harangued for the colour of their skin becomes a national issue, and quite right too.

Give people it tight about their religion, though? Ach, it’s just wur culture.

It’s society’s problem, not football’s. It’s been going on forever, we’ll never change them.

Then, most dispiriting of all, is the one I’ve heard for 30-odd years now: If you didn’t write about it, they wouldn’t do it.

The fact that this is the exact opposite of how we’re tackling the race issue is seemingly lost on sectarianism’s apologists.

It’s not just religious intolerance we allow to run free, though. It’s sexism, homophobia, it’s the kind of deeply personal insults players, bosses, directors and match officials are routinely told they need to suck up as “part of football”.

What went on at Tynecastle was a particularly unpleasant example of this, but what’s worse is that it was equally predictable.

What’s properly depressing is that it’ll more than likely happen again, at some other ground, tomorrow and the next day and at the weekend.

And what’s truly shameful is that stewards, police and fellow fans will more than likely do absolutely nothing about it.

Bill reaching new levels of nonsense. Seems to is wrong to boo and shout at a convicted racist and wannabee paedo.
You wouldn’t write about the abuse Morelos gets for no reason. But are happy to defend Griffiths. Bit skewed if you ask me.

Starts writing about the abuse Griffiths got at the weekend by Hearts fans, stating it was for "just for being alive". Wrong, it was for grooming a minor and then makes the rest of the article about how Rangers are sectarian. The guy is a loonball

MisguidedInsistentKomododragon-size_restricted.gif

Leckie it would have been advisable not to scribble your view's on this despicable character and let people think you support racists and peado enablers rather than scribble it down and confirm it.:shh:

is Leckie seriously defending the same Leigh Griffiths that has been responsible for the following:-

Told a Twitter user to “f*ck off back to his own country”

Joined in racial chanting against a Hearts player in a pub, and convicted

Suspended three times for gesturing/swearing to supporters

Allegedly assaulted his manager Pat Fenlon

Wiped his nose on a Rangers flag and tied a scarf to the goalpost

Asked a 15 yo girl for photos (behind his girlfriends back)

Convicted for speeding

Fathered five kids to 3 different women by his mid 20’s

Took a sabbath from the game to deal with false ‘mental health’ issues (alleged drugs/gambling issues)

Was regularly unfit for his club

Openly mocked a fellow professional by joining in fan chants (Halliday)

Kicked a smoke bomb into opposition fans

Was fined for shoplifting

That Leigh Griffiths?
And that's just what we know about!

I don’t think the article defends anything that Leigh Griffiths has done. The point he’s making is that people use being at the match as an excuse to shout hideous, venomous abuse, with teeth bared as it were.

Bill Leckie?
An abhorrent 2 faced bigot, in my book. They day ANYONE takes moral lessons from this cancerous growth is the day society is truly lost.
I feel sorry for the people of Scotland bring gaslighted from every angle.

Replace Griffiths with Morelos and Lonely Bill just doesn’t write that article, quite as simply as that.
Bill the fanny Griffiths spat at Ibrox scum scarf round goal posts but that ok what comes around goes around but Morelos does that and he scum yet Morelos goes to homeland does charity work to feed kids who living on low income so bill just take a good look in the mirror

The lengths the Scottish media and Establishment will go to in protecting scumbags because they are associated with a certain morally corrupt club, is a scandal

If he’s going to write an article on the abuse he takes he may as well start with some facts in his article rather than hide from them. Pursuing an under age child is why fans up and down the country are now abusing him.

I don’t think the article defends anything that Leigh Griffiths has done. The point he’s making is that people use being at the match as an excuse to shout hideous, venomous abuse, with teeth bared as it were.
Funny time to bring that argument to the table though, is it not? When it's Leigh Griffiths of all people.

Modern day Scotland, where complete arseholes like Griffiths and Porteous are portrayed as the innocent victims. it sickens me.

Funny time to bring that argument to the table though, is it not? When it's Leigh Griffiths of all people.
I think you could mention this problem anytime really because it happens all the time at matches. Regardless of who has written the article I agree with his point. Matches are places where some fans feel they can justifiably hurl any kind of abuse with seething venom. In the case of Griffiths its basically a form of public shaming - like in the Middle Ages or Victorian times.

I think you could mention this problem anytime really because it happens all the time at matches. Regardless of who has written the article I agree with his point. Matches are places where some fans feel they can justifiably hurl any kind of abuse with seething venom. In the case of Griffiths its basically a form of public shaming - like in the Middle Ages or Victorian times.
What if there is a wider point here with him? What if people are fed up with his type being protected from the laws of the land because of the badge on his shirt? Maybe people haven't forgotten being taunted by him on the pitch and have decided to give him it back in spades because of this? I don't think he, of all people, has a leg to stand on.

If you want to depersonalise the article and discuss the behaviour of fans at football and how it gets taken too far then now seems like a really unusual time to do it. Maybe people going out their way to make a banner insulting Morelos's mother would have been good? Ryan Jack being beheaded on a cartoon? Hanging effegies of Rangers fans?

I agree with you about the wider point needing discussed but this article is trying to protect someone who doesn't deserve it.

WE’RE brought up to believe that our actions in life will always speak louder than words.

It’s a proverb screwed up into a ball and volleyed over the main stand every week in Scottish football.

Because, no matter what actions we take to fight back against bigotry, they’re being drowned out like a whisper in a hurricane.

Sure, we wear the anti-racism T-shirts, we slap the stickers on our shirts, we wave the placards and we take the knee.

But what’s the point if when the whistle blows all bets are off on what we’re allowed to shout?

There’s no point, absolutely none. All those gestures, the campaigns — no matter how well-meaning — come to nothing if we then close our ears to the levels of sheer malice that way too many believe is their right to spew because they’ve paid for a ticket.

Truth is, we’re kidding ourselves if we believe racism is even close to being our game’s most serious attitude problem.

That line about a ticket giving some the right to dole out abuse came from Dundee frontman Jason Cummings on Saturday, after his equaliser against Hearts at Tynecastle had sparked a barrage of verbal and physical missiles.

But even his treatment was nothing compared to the merciless, brainless, tasteless treatment his team-mate Leigh Griffiths had suffered from the minute he trotted out to warm up.

The worst of it came from a section of the home support at the front of the main stand, who chanted over and over.

But even the majority who didn’t join in with their level of nastiness hit the guy with every insult imaginable.

It was all as brutal as it was needless — and when Cummings shook his head and sighed that what his mate had endured was “disgusting”, he was bang on.

I write this as someone who never shies away from criticising Griffiths on the many occasions when his conduct on and off the pitch lets him down.

But the thought of spending 90 minutes screaming hatred at anyone else just for being ALIVE . . . well, it simply doesn’t compute.

Yet that’s what we hear at almost every ground, almost every week, even if not often to the dark levels Griffiths has to endure on a regular basis.

That, as Cummings put it, is what comes as standard with the ticket.

It’s almost impossible to be more than a yard away from someone who crosses the line between raw passion and naked anger, between banter and bile.

You can’t watch a telly game without microphones picking up the kind of abuse some of my fellow St Mirren supporters hurled at pretty much everyone during our defeat to Rangers yesterday.

Shout the same stuff in the street within earshot of a cop and you’d be lifted in two seconds flat.

So why it’s acceptable in a crowd at a sporting event, no matter how upset we might be at losing, is way beyond me.

Then, of course, we have the Old Firm themselves, quite rightly getting bent out of shape when racism rears its hideous head — as it did recently when Glen Kamara was on the receiving end — yet looking at their shoes and whistling when it comes to the weekly sectarian karaoke sessions their own supporters subject the rest of us to.

I’ll keep repeating it until something gets done — replace “orange” and “19th Century Terrorist” with “black” in their songs and there would be questions asked in parliament before you could say bandwagon.

Holyrood would be demanding stadiums were shut as punishment, the SFA would be appointing a former player from each club as Anti-Sectarianism Czars.

We’ve seen that with racism, ever since the first players took a knee when the English Premier League came out of lockdown last summer.

There’s been a huge — and hugely impressive — push to drive the white-is-right brigade out of the game.

The knee’s become as much a part of matchday as the coin-toss, every suggestion of someone being harangued for the colour of their skin becomes a national issue, and quite right too.

Give people it tight about their religion, though? Ach, it’s just wur culture.

It’s society’s problem, not football’s. It’s been going on forever, we’ll never change them.

Then, most dispiriting of all, is the one I’ve heard for 30-odd years now: If you didn’t write about it, they wouldn’t do it.

The fact that this is the exact opposite of how we’re tackling the race issue is seemingly lost on sectarianism’s apologists.

It’s not just religious intolerance we allow to run free, though. It’s sexism, homophobia, it’s the kind of deeply personal insults players, bosses, directors and match officials are routinely told they need to suck up as “part of football”.

What went on at Tynecastle was a particularly unpleasant example of this, but what’s worse is that it was equally predictable.

What’s properly depressing is that it’ll more than likely happen again, at some other ground, tomorrow and the next day and at the weekend.

And what’s truly shameful is that stewards, police and fellow fans will more than likely do absolutely nothing about it.

Bill reaching new levels of nonsense. Seems to is wrong to boo and shout at a convicted racist and wannabee paedo.
Pray for poor Leigh. Always the victims. You reap what you sow, so fck Griffiths. He is a convicted racist and a nonce.

Grooming a little girl, a literal child, and we're supposed to be ashamed of ourselves for abusing the offender?

What if there is a wider point here with him? What if people are fed up with his type being protected from the laws of the land because of the badge on his shirt? Maybe people haven't forgotten being taunted by him on the pitch and have decided to give him it back in spades because of this? I don't think he, of all people, has a leg to stand on.

If you want to depersonalise the article and discuss the behaviour of fans at football and how it gets taken too far then now seems like a really unusual time to do it. Maybe people going out their way to make a banner insulting Morelos's mother would have been good? Ryan Jack being beheaded on a cartoon? Hanging effegies of Rangers fans?

I agree with you about the wider point needing discussed but this article is trying to protect someone who doesn't deserve it.
I think there’s an argument that by shouting stuff at/about Leigh Griffiths you are actually making him into a victim - because then he is in fact the victim of abuse. It doesn’t change any of what he himself is guilty of but focus can be shifted to the wrong that he is experiencing.

The main point is should football fans feel thoroughly justified in shouting snarling hate? For me, no - I just want to shout for Rangers.

I think there’s an argument that by shouting stuff at/about Leigh Griffiths you are actually making him into a victim - because then he is in fact the victim of abuse. It doesn’t change any of what he himself is guilty of but focus can be shifted to the wrong that he is experiencing.

The main point is should football fans feel thoroughly justified in shouting snarling hate? For me, no - I just want to shout for Rangers.
I don't think there is an argument for that at all. It's a game of football and the authorities are letting a creep like him continue to play in spite of his extensive crime sheet. He was grooming children and yet is still allowed to walk about like billy big bollocks. This isn't some petty crime, it's child grooming. If he can't handle being reminded of it every time he sets foot on a park then he knows where the door is. It's his own fault and only in the eyes of the authorities who let him away with it and the timmy sympathisers is he the victim. Don't be conned by it, it's what they're after.

Now to your point about 'snarling hate', yeah I think there are thing that can be tidied up here and there. I don't think I've seen too many examples that have spilled over mind you. Football is a passionate game and should remain that. If it's within the laws it shouldn't be an issue and if it's not then more should be done. I think any review of that should be player led though, not a big fat arsehole with a typewriter.

Did he share what the jolly St Boo fans were shouting at Rangers fans?

When i was reading through his column i knew eventually he would manage to get his attack on rangers fans in there.
And as usual there was no mention of the green and grey .

I don't think there is an argument for that at all. It's a game of football and the authorities are letting a creep like him continue to play in spite of his extensive crime sheet. He was grooming children and yet is still allowed to walk about like billy big bollocks. This isn't some petty crime, it's child grooming. If he can't handle being reminded of it every time he sets foot on a park then he knows where the door is. It's his own fault and only in the eyes of the authorities who let him away with it and the timmy sympathisers is he the victim. Don't be conned by it, it's what they're after.

Now to your point about 'snarling hate', yeah I think there are thing that can be tidied up here and there. I don't think I've seen too many examples that have spilled over mind you. Football is a passionate game and should remain that. If it's within the laws it shouldn't be an issue and if it's not then more should be done. I think any review of that should be player led though, not a big fat arsehole with a typewriter.
I don’t think you’re quite getting what I mean. If you and I meet in the street and I shout something abusive to you that then makes you a victim - of my abuse. So it’s not about saying that Leigh Griffiths hasn’t done what he’s done or should be sympathised with or made excuses for. It’s just that regardless of what he himself might be condemned for, others abusing him makes him a victim of their abuse.

I agree about football being a passionate game and it being allowed to remain so but within the laws - and that it will take more than a news reporter to address it. Journalists do highlight issues though and at least, for once! - Hearts, St Mirren, Rangers and Celtic fans were all mentioned instead of the usual narrative where only we have any issues.

Great post.

I highlighted the bit in bold because it leads on to a point I was going to make. I actually find it surprising (pleasantly so) that the Griffiths verbals is taking place at virtually every ground he's playing at; with the 2 most publicised incidents taking place at Hearts and Kilmarnock.

Far too often, the rest of Scottish football fans seem oblivious to the wrongdoings of anyone remotely connected to ra hoops and happy to turn a blind eye to their deviance whilst its left to us to highlight it wherever we can. The fact that other sets of fans have now realised what an utter creep Griffiths is and making sure he knows it, should be all the proof that is needed that he is a wrong'un, universally despised now by everyone with even a shred of moral integrity in the country. Put simply, his behaviour over the years has been deplorable and every single comment aimed at him from the stands has been brought on by his own actions.

So for Leckie to go to bat for him like he has done here (which he is, regardless of how he tries to window dress it as a generic "wider football issue") is as questionable as anything he's put his name to in the past. Especially given his own history of borderline racist, 100% xenophobic "articles" from his past.

I wonder if it messed with his lonely head when writing this that he had to widen his net a bit and put the boot into different sets of fans for a change? He can pen anti-Rangers articles in his sleep (and of course he shoe horns us in here by hook or by crook) but for once, he can't simply blame it all on big bad Rainjurs fans. Leckies moral compass is way off the mark here and he'd have been better to keep quiet on this one, or even better - use his platform to highlight some of the glaringly obvious examples of historic wrongdoings, beauractatic corruption and incompetence that continue to plague our game.

Back