Helander - Excellent.

Am I the only one that thought Goldson done well tonight as well?
He just looks very slow at times. Add to that his poor passing lately, I think he needs a spell out of the team. Katic has certainly been the better of the two this season, so dropping him is harsh. Helander will likely be first choice.

Every match we wait patiently for the Goldson horror pass that eventually results in the opposing strike running straight in on goal. It happened again tonight.

He just looks very slow at times. Add to that his poor passing lately, I think he needs a spell out of the team. Katic has certainly been the better of the two this season, so dropping him is harsh. Helander will likely be first choice.
He was outpaced a few times but Tav did leave him open a lot. Thought he won a fair whack of headers especially at the end and he put in a good few challenges

I can't understand how goldson is untouchable in the line up. Some of his nervousness tonight I don't see in katics play
This, I’m not anti-Goldson but he doesn’t walk on water and he had a few times tonight when another misplaced pass could have proved costly. We got away with it tonight but the combo of him & Tav don’t look as solid recently as they used too. And he isn’t a goal-scorer, sadly, Katic always looks like more of a threat when we get a corner

He had a good game, but why drop Katic? If any of the two CD needed a break it was Goldson. I still think Katic should be a starter, It annoys me Gerrard always makes him the whipping boy

Looked every inch an international centre half tonight, keeps the position now imo would like to see Edmundson get a run out alongside him on Sunday, give Goldson a rest, I think he needs it

Really like the look of the big man.

No nonsense, good positional sense and reading of the game and decent in the air.

Could prove to be a great acquisition over the season.

Big man was a rock tonight on what could have been a potential banana skin for him. He also brought out the best in Goldson minus the usual shakey moment.

Well done that man

Him and Borna top class tonight

Borna drifted inside a couple of times, leaving a gaping hole out wide. It's something he often does, he really needs to keep an eye on it.

He played well though tonight, besides those couple of lapses.

Goldson also had a few moments, I thought Helander bailed him out a couple of times.

Helander himself was immense imo. Great determination and effort, fast and energetic. He worked until the final whistle.

I'd like to see him alongside Katic

Remember we have Edmundson too. I was impressed by him when we saw him earlier. Has pace and pings the ball about nbthe deck. He too could have a shout as Helander’s partner. I think Goldson needs a break and a rest from action from where he can chat me back stronger and challenge for his place again.

Positional sense and decision making is excellent ,not a foot wrong .

The other two can slug it out to partner him but you do feel so sorry for Katic ,big man hasn’t done much wrong .
I thought the big man was outstanding tonight.

Borna drifted inside a couple of times, leaving a gaping hole out wide. It's something he often does, he really needs to keep an eye on it.

Goldson also had a few moments, I thought Helander bailed him out a couple of times.

Helander himself was immense imo. Great determination and effort, fast and energetic. He worked until the final whistle.

Almost all of Feyenoords best chances came from Tavs side , so I think thats harsh on BB. Seems no matter how well he does , there is always a section of the support who have him marked as the scapegoat.

3 million quid is looking like a bargain after that game, the highest class opposition we have faced in years. He strolled it and we now seem to be back to having the best cb options in the league. Just like old times :) PS Edmundson is in that mix too.

Fo

For years now I’ve always felt our full backs tucked in too much leaving the winger free as a pass option. If only our backs stood about 5 yards or more closer to the unmarked winger, the option of a pass would be closed off and we wouldn’t have to defend here because the option would be closed off. One less option for them in possession and helps to make it more likely to press them into giving it away.
The above, and not passing it in front of a man to run on to, has irritated me for years.

Excellent tonight.

Maybe now people can stop questioning why we brought him in.

We are very strong in the centre half area as a whole.

He made the whole defence better with his composure both on and off the park. Currently a class above big Niko but that’s not a dig at him. Just showing the level the big man should be aspiring to get to

Almost all of Feyenoords best chances came from Tavs side , so I think thats harsh on BB. Seems no matter how well he does , there is always a section of the support who have him marked as the scapegoat.

Well I wanted us to buy a Left Back before the window closing but to me Borna was excellent tonight. I was delighted for him. He was buzzing when he left the field at the end.

I think that will be our first choice centre back pairing that played tonight.

We all love Katic for his no-nonsense approach but Goldson is a better reader of the game and is also more of a leader. In saying that I do think Goldson would benefit from a rest. And would be good to see if Katic/Helander work well together.

We’re playing on three fronts at least up to December, I would have no problem if SG made use of all his CHs. think about how it was even a couple of years ago.

Fo

For years now I’ve always felt our full backs tucked in too much leaving the winger free as a pass option. If only our backs stood about 5 yards or more closer to the unmarked winger, the option of a pass would be closed off and we wouldn’t have to defend here because the option would be closed off. One less option for them in possession and helps to make it more likely to press them into giving it away.
The above, and not passing it in front of a man to run on to, has irritated me for years.
On the other hand, Tavernier is often caught too wide. The gap between him and goldson was exposed again tonight. I'd rather their out ball was wide and let Helander and Katic clear up crosses than have them just play straight through the middle.

Was beginning to wonder why we paid 3m for him.

Tonight he showed why.
I'm the same but I was obviously prepared to give him some time to settle in but I have to admit to being a bit apprehensive when I heard he was playing tonight.
Not any more!
He showed his class and then some tonight, he was outstanding!
I'm still not sure what our best central pairing should be but to have Goldson, Katic, Helander and Edmunson all vying for two jerseys is a great position to be in!

Back