Helander - Excellent.

Fo

For years now I’ve always felt our full backs tucked in too much leaving the winger free as a pass option. If only our backs stood about 5 yards or more closer to the unmarked winger, the option of a pass would be closed off and we wouldn’t have to defend here because the option would be closed off. One less option for them in possession and helps to make it more likely to press them into giving it away.
The above, and not passing it in front of a man to run on to, has irritated me for years.

Two very valid points, I have thought the same about your second point, it drives me up the wall at times, that we don't make that incisive pass, resorting to a backwards pass instead.

Almost all of Feyenoords best chances came from Tavs side , so I think thats harsh on BB. Seems no matter how well he does , there is always a section of the support who have him marked as the scapegoat.

You should watch the match again, he done it a couple of times tonight, your accusation is nonsense, even attention seeking.

Good defenders don't need to steam roller or crash into challenges. Helander doesn't, he's reads danger, remains composed and deals with it.

Every pass is first time, he keeps the ball moving and with simple passes. The more longer ones remained on the ground and into feet. He barely game away possession.

He offered a better balance in defence and no surprise Barišic performed last night.

If their captain had scored that diving header that came off Goldson and went out this thread might of been alittle different as it was Helander that lost his man.

But as others have said, the fact that he can come in after not getting much game time and put in a performance like that against Feyenoord shows the level of player he is.

Fantastic performance, the problem with pairing him with Katic, is that they both like to play on the left hand side.

No they don’t. Katic is right footed just he not Goldson plays out of position. I think when Katic plays in his proper position alongside Hellander he will kick on again.

Said it when we signed him that he's our best defender by miles. Tremendous last night.

You and I both . People questioning it would soon be panicking if we end up with a couple of injuries or suspensions

Gerrard has recognised you need 4 good centre halves in order to okay across four competitions for a full season

You and I both . People questioning it would soon be panicking if we end up with a couple of injuries or suspensions

Gerrard has recognised you need 4 good centre halves in order to okay across four competitions for a full season
Slight aside, but I have to say I was panicking a bit when Alfredo went down with no one near him. Defoe is a good player, but could we really go for months with him as the only recognised striker?

Helender looked top quality last night. Brought a composure and an ability to read the game that we've missed in recent weeks.

It's up to the other 3 centre back's to earn their place next to him at the moment.

Big man was great, looks like SG has a big headache with picking CH pairings, we have 4 decent players for two positions.

Think hpw good he will be once hes played 5 or 6 on the bounce, exciting stuff.
Think how bad he'll be made out to be once he puts a foot wrong though.

He is a class act but will be rusty at points in the next few games and we all have to be patient.

He has been out a while and normally when we win a big game we go over the top with praise. If he plays the support need to give him the benifit of the doubt, something our manager has given Goldson, when most on here would've disagreed.

Positional sense and decision making is excellent ,not a foot wrong .

The other two can slug it out to partner him but you do feel so sorry for Katic ,big man hasn’t done much wrong .

He did actually put a foot wrong, a couple of times in the first half he was caught to high up with Borna which left us a bit exposed on the left.

He also lost his man at the corner in the first half, if the boy had connected right it was a sure goal instead he fucked it and hit off Goldson.

He played well, he got better as the game went on a grew into it but he far from didn't put a foot wrong.

He did actually put a foot wrong, a couple of times in the first half he was caught to high up with Borna which left us a bit exposed on the left.

He also lost his man at the corner in the first half, if the boy had connected right it was a sure goal instead he fucked it and hit off Goldson.

He played well, he got better as the game went on a grew into it but he far from didn't put a foot wrong.

Re: your first point...I was raging at Ojo because Barisic had bombed forward making a great run and Ojo gave the ball away cheaply meaning Barisic was way out of position and Feyenoord attacked down that side.

Solid stuff from him, very impressed. I'd like to see him and Katic start this weekend. Goldson toils on the ball too often and then his distribution is poor. Happens every game.

Really thought he was very solid and read the game superbly.

My biggest takeaway from his performance was how controlled his headed distribution was too. Under pressure he rarely just did a big looping header away, always seemed to not only clear the lines, but actually try and pick a team-mate out.

A run of games and think we could really see him show why we paid the money.

impressed with him , seems to do the basics of defending right and without much fuss, doesnt seem to take too many chances either. solid.

Much better balance to the defence tonight. Still prefer Katic alongside Helander though.

How can you say that. They haven’t had enough time together to make any judgement

Katic will be managed by Gerrard in the right way as he was last season. We don’t know what happens off the pitch.

How can you say that. They haven’t had enough time together to make any judgement

Katic will be managed by Gerrard in the right way as he was last season. We don’t know what happens off the pitch.

By freezing him out for months when he's a better option than someone who's starting?

Helander and edmundson would be two rapid centre backs ...it could world
Said all along that we have 4 good centre backs. Different players for different opposition, the players AND fans will need to accept this through petted lips. The way it was and the way it should be

i wondered about this signing at the time and actually thought when I first saw him that he didn't look a player. Totally wrong, his awareness and positional sense are excellent. He makes everything look easy and I thought was brilliant last night. Looking forward to seeing this player flourish with us.

He didn't lose his man, he was blatantly fouled by Fer, who actually turned towards his own goal as the ball was crossed and fouled him.

How good is it to have the options we have now I am pretty sure we will utilise every player as the gaffer see's fit and big Katic will become a legend, I thought Goldson looked a bit off tempo but Helander and Barisic were excellent real glimpses of what oor Borna can do.

Folk were a bit off when we signed him as they like Kstic and Goldson and it was a hefty fee.

I think if a player is available that improves what we already have then by all means sign him and dont rest on our laurels like what happens quite a bit in football

I don’t think the Gaffer will drop Goldson for Katic, but we should at least try it. Helander has made one of the spots his own tonight I think
Think it should just depend on the opposition. Porto for example are a side with quite a lot of physically gifted players and i would rather have Katic play against them than Goldson but games like yesterday suit Goldson more than Katic. We're lucky to have 3 quality centre backs though and maybe even 4 if Edmundson continues to show quality in his limited appearances

Helander and Barisic could form something very impressive on that left hand side of defence. Two players who play for top international sides. This could be the making of Barisic, looks very promising indeed.

Oh for the days and debates on whether to play Kieran, Wilson, Senderos.
Helander strolled it, loved the foul he won at end by getting body position right, ate up valuable time. We now have x 3 quality centre backs - let the debates and arguments on who should start begin. :))

Had a great game. Surprised me how easily he fitted in. Katic has produced epic performances this season though as well. Wouldnt discount him getting his place back.

I also thought Goldson was brilliant last night

When I saw the starting eleven I admit to being worried when I saw Helander's name and no Katic on the bench. After the first 20 minutes my worries evaporated. I thought that he was excellent, as was Barisic.

Him and Borna top class tonight

I saw another poster on another thread speculating that Borna's surprisingly good performance may have been aided by Helander's presence, and maybe even a little influenced by having a natural left footer alongside him ?

Either way, Helander and Barisic were both excellent last night.

Back