Honeymoon Is Over For The Manger Next Season

Folk may call you a panty wetter OP, but time after time the panty wetters always seem to be correct. :( A massive season and task lies ahead of us now and we must be ready to give everything to topple these cu.nts.
For what it's worth I actually do think we'll finally do it and win the league. But I can think that and also think it's the management teams last chance to do so.

If he finally cracks it then brilliant, happy days - we’d finally be onto a winner and with a big name boss. If it’s the same mistakes with the same system and the same failed players again? Well, it’s going to be brutal seeing all the excuses coming out for why it’s anyone fault but his. I’ve even seen some suggest he carry on if he goes a third season trophyless, (yes really! a luxury I doubt even Walter would get if you cast your mind back to the new year OF defeat in 2009 when it was all “times up Walter”) so it’s evident that some would rather bask in his image and his aura for another few years and worry about trophies and success later. Proper small time stuff.

Correct. Against the background of adjusted expectations - I don’t think we can realistically win the league next year, we need to look at stopping the tainted 11/12 - then we need to see proper, clear domestic improvements.

If people want to blame refs or whatever, that’s fine but it’s a different thread. Go out and win games and stop being so risk-averse, I wonder if having been influenced by the very rigid Rafa Benitez could be a factor.

Quick question mate if we have another trophyless season will you still go on about being patient.

Yes.

Without question... Well. Maybe with one caveat. If we stop seeing progress on and off the pitch of course we might question his position. But no-one can deny the massive progress made in JUST 2 years.

I mean, we're still in Europe in mid-May for goodness sake! :p

Seriously though, we are making progress. We are closing what was a huge gap, and Until they are threatening to get to 55 before us, we ha e no real rush.

I'll be patient. And if more of us had that attitude, the media would have less ammo and the Ibrox atmosphere would be a lot more conducive to a side who need to be patient when breaking down teams and stick to their tactics rather than panic after 20 minutes against a low block defence because the crods getting nervous it's still 0-0.

I've had discussions on here before about Gerrard and what an easy ride many have given him domestically .(European football he's been a success)
People can argue black is white all they want but he wins the league next season or he's asked to leave be that mutual or falling on his own sword.Nothing to do with them going for a meaningless 10 IAR but a Rangers manager can't get anymore than 3 tries at it.In fact he's the 1st I can think of in modern times that has been given this much leeway and time to get it right.
It's now time to deliver or we move on to someone else imo.
I partly agree & partly disagree with this ,

I can accept losing , that can happen , it’s part of football , but

I think the next gutless surrender will be the last chance for the manager , the hearts , Kilmarnock, st Johnstone away , accies at home 2 more of them , his position is lost .

Can't fully agree with this.

I feel its generally underestimated by some how detrimental having to work through the leagues has been and subsequent managerial appointments prior to SG, its left us a good few years behind where we should be. Like it or not they have spent bigger have a bigger squad and have created a winning mentality domestically during our absence and years following, we have no devine right to say the title should be ours, we need to fight tooth and nail to wrestle it from the filthy claws off that lot.

The rebuild continues, SG and the club continue to make steps forward to get on a more level playing field. I do expect a trophy next season and think we will get one. If we were to lose out on the league by a point or 2 will I be raging and disappointed, absolutely but on reflection it may mean progress has been made, doesnt sit terribly well for any of us to accept second best and that time will come when SG doesn't get anymore chances progress or not, barring a compete meltdown season next year I don't think we should be in the market for a change of management.

I've had discussions on here before about Gerrard and what an easy ride many have given him domestically .(European football he's been a success)
People can argue black is white all they want but he wins the league next season or he's asked to leave be that mutual or falling on his own sword.Nothing to do with them going for a meaningless 10 IAR but a Rangers manager can't get anymore than 3 tries at it.In fact he's the 1st I can think of in modern times that has been given this much leeway and time to get it right.
Any other manger would have been sacked I reckon.
Europe and the old firm games apart, he has been a huge disappointment. He has been backed by the board and won nothing.

The day he refused to learn from past mistakes to get outmanaged by the hapless Hearts manager which saw us exit the Scottish Cup was absolutely scandalous.
He sat there in a sulk throughout much of the second half and afterwards took little part in the blame for what was an utter shambles.
Lastly his refusal to call out the blatant corruption from the officials didn't help.
We were shafted twice by Beaton. At Pittodrie when he denied us a stonewall penalty, rather than slaughter him afterwards, Gerrard claimed he would have been the most disappointed person in the stadium.
It gave Beaton every reason later in the season when he shafted us again.
If Gerrard is to succeed at Ibrox he needs to learn from past mistakes, ensure his players start EVERY game on the front foot and stop being Mr Nice guy.

Correct. Against the background of adjusted expectations - I don’t think we can realistically win the league next year, we need to look at stopping the tainted 11/12 - then we need to see proper, clear domestic improvements.

If people want to blame refs or whatever, that’s fine but it’s a different thread. Go out and win games and stop being so risk-averse, I wonder if having been influenced by the very rigid Rafa Benitez could be a factor.

I really do wonder whether not being part of a Liverpool team that won the league or at the very least mounted sustained, consistent campaigns is a factor.

If you're going to rhapsodise about Gerrard's playing experience you need to acknowledge that there's a gaping hole in his time at Liverpool.

It would certainly explain why we play better in Europe than we do at home.

Two collapses in consecutive seasons. Same mistakes being made. If that happens a third time around there is not a chance Gerrard should be kept on.

He's yet to put up a title challenge.

A pandemic won't cover up the absolute garbage we endured since the 29th December and not should it.

Europe has been more than any one could have dreamed off. He's been rightfully praised for that. Domestic football is our bread and butter and it's been far from good enough.

Kinda what I said.

We need to see improvement, consistency and silverware.

I'm not sacking a manager who wins trophies and sees his team improve.

Don't think any Rangers manager has been sacked in a trophy winning season.

Symon and White were both fired with no silverware in the cupboard, as were Warburton and Pedro.

Don't think we've sacked anyone else?

Pretty sure Greig, Wallace and Le Guen resigned.

Last edited by a moderator:

It could be. I think the biggest explanation is the most obvious one and it’s a just a complete lack of experience. But more specifically his loyalty to a few of his favourite players has to end, it has to because some of his go to guys have clearly shown us that when the heat is on and the pressures rises they fold like a deck of cards. I don’t think it will end though but I’ll be delighted if in a years time I’m coming on here to offer the gaffer a grovelling apology, I really hope it happens.

Literally the second post after the OP.

He's past the point of inheriting. The team is now his.

And yet we are only just getting rid of Ashley and, the financial gap between us and them is still larger than it ever was before 2012, and the only reason the SPFL's clear agenda against us isn't clear to see for everyone in the world to see is because they fought tooth and nail against a free independent enquiry to take place whilst all football was suspended anyways!

Rangers managers post 2012 cannot be held to the same standards as those before it. They are playing a differ.ent game frankly. So long as they are showing progress in the right direction, we stick with them. Especially when they are frickin Stevie G.

Sack him?! You might as well sack Morelos for bad form!

An EPL side will offer to pay us massive compensation fee to break his contract some time soon if it hasn't happened already, but for what it's worth, I'd reject them all. Gerrard will bring us 55. Might not be this year. Might not even be next. But it is just a matter of time. Unless we let the media convince us we need to run him out of town along with Morelos!

Wrong.

If we don't make progress he goes. You can't sack a manager for not winning a league title in our situation.
Have we made progress domestically? Comparing this season to last? I would say no.

I don't think the OP really realises what Stevie is up against. The never ending media campaign to have our best striker banned, for a start. Even Klopp in the Ibrox dugout would face the same ref corruption.
Investment and higher standards. Without the first you don't get the second. Until this is addressed there is no point in changing managers. Gerrard (I would like to think) knows what ge needs but is tied to finances. I think he has done well with what we have. Key to us being a better "team" is selling on Alfie. We need to create a team not a one man wrecking machine. Unless if course we sign better players to allow Alfie to do what ge needs to do best, score goals. I think he will be gone though. We need investment more than anything right now

I’ve said before numerous time’s, 0/6 trophy wise is abject failure, doesn’t matter how you dress it up, any other manager who isn’t named Steven Gerrard is under enormous pressure.

The collapse since the turn of the year was very worrying and showed no signs of changing, the filth were cruising to their fourth treble on the spin which is absolutely disgraceful on our apart.

The post Dubai collapse was unacceptable and certainly made things a lot easier for the SPFL. Nobody could have foreseen the closure of the league, but equally nobody should forget that we were trailing significantly thanks to our form after Hogmanay. We were papped out of the cup. We were playing terrible football. There were massive question marks over our ability to get back into a meaningful title chase.

That can't be allowed to happen again. If we're no closer to winning something in the year then Gerrard's position would be untenable.

Compare where we were when he took over til now and the progress is absolutely huge.

He needs to continue that. I'd suggest a close run title loss would still be worth sticking with him.

I agree I think we must win the league...

2 collapses in a row after the winter break on his watch and 2 trebles.

Honeymood period was over a long long time ago, I think he would’ve walked before the end of the season if it was able to play to a finish and his players continued to let him down.

He needs a quality centre half at least 1, at least 2 quality midfielders and a quality striker 1 bare minimum.

I get anxious hearing the word winter break it’s fucking sickening how good we were in December to then losing twice against the worst team in the league, away to Kilmarnock, and at home to Hamilton I genuinely believe the relationship was unrepairable and the atmosphere against Hamilton was the most poisonous it had been in 3 years.

His European run has saved him but I couldn’t give a f*ck about Europe anymore if it meant winning something domestic, yes it’s brilliant going on the trips and Braga away was one of best nights of the season but as soon as you come up against a team like Lerverkusen in the later stages we got taught a lesson and that’s what will always happen eventually.

Here's a novel idea....why dont we all get behind the manager and the team and support them rather than looking into crystal balls and predicting might or might not happen.
There is always pressure as a Rangers manager or player, instead of adding to that lets try and relieve it a bit.
We are Rangers supporters...the clues in the name...support!
Agreed. Punting Gerard now or at Christmas will guarantee 10IAR.

I agree I think we must win the league...

2 collapses in a row after the winter break on his watch and 2 trebles.

Honeymood period was over a long long time ago, I think he would’ve walked before the end of the season if it was able to play to a finish and his players continued to let him down.

He needs a quality centre half at least 1, at least 2 quality midfielders and a quality striker 1 bare minimum.

I get anxious hearing the word winter break it’s fucking sickening how good we were in December to then losing twice against the worst team in the league, away to Kilmarnock, and at home to Hamilton I genuinely believe the relationship was unrepairable and the atmosphere against Hamilton was the most poisonous it had been in 3 years.

His European run has saved him but I couldn’t give a f*ck about Europe anymore if it meant winning something domestic, yes it’s brilliant going on the trips and Braga away was one of best nights of the season but as soon as you come up against a team like Lerverkusen in the later stages we got taught a lesson and that’s what will always happen eventually.

The League may still be beyond us right now, although there's an absolutely massive incentive for next season even if Celtic's run of titles is tainted. A cup win would be an achievement. Rangers need to win something. Success breeds confidence. Success shows a battling, winning mentality. It's a platform to build on. 3 years with nothing, including the dismal Betfred final this year, would be difficult to justify.

Privately Gerrard will know we were shot to shit and all confidence gone domestically. We were also pretty much out of Europe. He will have known the reset button would have to be pressed, we came up short again in the same old areas.

Let's be honest with ourselves, who was really looking forward to that game on 15th March against them? I know I wasn't.

The learning on the job is done now, for me he has been a great success overall. Now is the time to become ruthless and find a full squad of players he can trust.

I really hope he's willing to adapt and change formation when needs must. It's my only complaint towards him. St Johnstone match was a shocker.

Privately Gerrard will know we were shot to shit and all confidence gone domestically. We were also pretty much out of Europe. He will have known the reset button would have to be pressed, we came up short again in the same old areas.

Let's be honest with ourselves, who was really looking forward to that game on 15th March against them? I know I wasn't.

The learning on the job is done now, for me he has been a great success overall. Now is the time to become ruthless and find a full squad of players he can trust.

The squad mentality is a major issue. Gerrard might have been a ruthless and driven player on the park but he has very few in the squad with that mentality. We're mentally weak. That squad needs to find some kind of bottle. Right now it lacks the extra desire that gets you over the line.

Have we made progress domestically? Comparing this season to last? I would say no.

Performance in old firms. Definitely. And you conveniently forget to compare to all other years in the premiership that went Gerrard. Lott at that and deny the progress.

Once our players learn to deal with a low block on a consistent basis (which is just a matter of time) we will be champions again.

He needs to balance skill with backbone and mix up our playing style. We were too predictable and powderpuff this season. Midfield enforcer and big target man needed.

Performance in old firms. Definitely. And you conveniently forget to compare to all other years in the premiership that went Gerrard. Lott at that and deny the progress.

Once our players learn to deal with a low block on a consistent basis (which is just a matter of time) we will be champions again.
I haven't 'conveniently forgot' anything. What's the point in comparing season 2 under Gerrard to Caixinha, Warburton or Murty? Its utterly pointless. He gets judged from what he did the previous season.

I am still behind him but I dont think domestically there was much Improvement between the 2 seasons. We beat them twice the season before so your point about performances improving in OF games isnt really valid either. To me we were still making the same mistakes in season 2 as we were in season 1.

The League may still be beyond us right now, although there's an absolutely massive incentive for next season even if Celtic's run of titles is tainted. A cup win would be an achievement. Rangers need to win something. Success breeds confidence. Success shows a battling, winning mentality. It's a platform to build on. 3 years with nothing, including the dismal Betfred final this year, would be difficult to justify.

My worry is what the hell would we celebrate like if we won the league cup? I don’t regret celebrating the win at parkhead and the confidence it gave us and what looked like it gave the players.

Then another winter break and collapse happened.

Any time we look like we are getting close to over coming then we bottle it - 2 years on the trot.

Rangers managers post 2012 cannot be held to the same standards as those before it. They are playing a differ.ent game frankly. So long as they are showing progress in the right direction, we stick with them. Especially when they are frickin Stevie G.

This is the problem surrounding conversations about Gerrard, right here.

He's being held to a different set of standards just because he is, as you put it, "frickin Stevie G."

Literally the second post after the OP.

He's past the point of inheriting. The team is now his.

Are you conviently forgetting having less than half a wage bill than the manks? What about the referees ahem impartiality in Scotland too. Any manager experienced on not would struggle to win trophies with those conditions. We are now in a much better position to challenge, much of that is indeed down to Gerrard.

We’ve a solid base but our midfield doesn’t score enough goals and we play with one striker who can’t be trusted to last a season, either form or suspensions.

The progress under Gerrard has been remarkable. If we keep making progress we will get our rewards.

the other side of this coin is we need a regression from Celtic. They have dominated the league since Dec.

that said, 6 of the current 13 point gap is down to referees, nothing we can do about that.

personally, I’d sell Morelos, replace with 2 quality midfielders and at least 1 striker. Our is far to reliant on one striker.

Gerrard has already been a success.
Arguably, without his two runs in Europe, this present virus might have put the club in really serious financial difficulties.

Domestically, he, of course, has to win a trophy, however, we need to cut him a bit of slack in this, because the small margins that can mean the difference between success and failure can sometimes rest in a referee's whistle or a linesman's flag and clearly these are costing our team dearly in Scottish football.
Funnily enough, these things really do even themselves out in Europe, where we have enjoyed some very favourable decisions and suffered some much less so.
Did I say funnily?

Gerrard knows himself he's got to deliver something next season and winning the league would make him immortal. It's got to be the priority.

All our bad luck came at once in January. We lost Morelos to suspension and then Tav, Defoe, Barisic, Jack then Arfield to injuries. We missed out on Vydra on dealing day who I firmly believe would've hit the ground running up here (as he did when he got back into the Burnley side).

However we failed to adapt when we lost these key players, we just tried to play different players in the 4-3-3 and it failed miserably. Whereas Celtic changed to a 3-5-2 and couldn't stop scoring.

No other Rangers manager in our history would get away with winning zero trophies in two seasons.

The progress and performances in Europe have saved him his job.

Next season, silverware simply has to be won.
Few other managers who did win said trophies had to endure a domestic background and Scottish football culture that Gerrard has to overcome.

Gerrard has already been a success.
Arguably, without his two runs in Europe, this present virus might have put the club in really serious financial difficulties.

Domestically, he, of course, has to win a trophy, however, we need to cut him a bit of slack in this, because the small margins that can mean the difference between success and failure can sometimes rest in a referee's whistle or a linesman's flag and clearly these are costing our team dearly in Scottish football.
Funnily enough, these things really do even themselves out in Europe, where we have enjoyed some very favourable decisions and suffered some much less so.
Did I say funnily?
I did put in brackets he's been a success in Europe.But unless you actually went all the way in the Europa doing well in it isn't going to make up not winnling domestically imo.

I haven't 'conveniently forgot' anything. What's the point in comparing season 2 under Gerrard to Caixinha, Warburton or Murty? Its utterly pointless. He gets judged from what he did the previous season.

I am still behind him but I dont think domestically there was much Improvement between the 2 seasons. We beat them twice the season before sk your point about performances improving in OF games isnt really valid either. To me we were still making the same mistakes in season 2 as we were in season 1.

Because of the base he began with.

Different if Gerrard walked into a squad chock full of winners and finished 2nd twice. But he didn't. Easy enough for Deila, Rodgers and Lennon to walk into a ready made championship winning squad and change very little.

He walked into a football bombsite littered with overpaid duds and players who in all honesty had no business being in a Rangers team in the Premiership.

Gerrard's had to rebuild from scratch - The goalkeeper, the defence, the midfield, the attack. There isn't an area in the team he hasn't hugely improved. He deserves enormous credit for the changes he's made to our defensive record. We were losing FIFTY goals in the league to utter muck before he arrived.

Now, you can make the argument that Gerrard is possibly the bridging manager - the manager to vastly improve us all over the board but not get us over that line(see Tommy Burns at Celtic) but he absolutely deserves another shot at this. He's more than earned it.

Let's rip it up start again and heap pressure on to the new manager to stop the "10" and if that fails sack him as well. In the real world though we can't afford to continually rip it up and start again with the player turnover as it simply doesn't work.

The collapse this season was disappointing but we were the masters of our down fall by not putting teams away and players making mistakes that end up costing us dearly. There is also not much we can do when the scum were 13 points better of than they were last season so they have improved as well. The cup final we were denied by a keeper who produced a performance like Goram did against them back in the day he saved everything then the goal was blatantly offside.

The European run is a bonus but we can't downplay the progress on that front where were 3 seasons ago losing to teams like Progres to beating teams like Porto and Braga. The money the club has earned from that front has also accelerated the club in improving the financial side of things as well.

I agree he needs to win something next season but he has enough credit in the bank to earn the right to take us forward next season. 1 to 11 on our day we are the best team in the league but outwith the starting 11 the depth isnt there and thats where we need to improve and if he does that then we will go places under Gerrard.

He is lucky to still be here for next season.

If he hasn't learned anything from his games against Kilmarnock or Aberdeen at the third year of asking and does the exact same pish again then we would be mental to keep him on.

he mentions Benitez in his book as a huge influence and I think you’re right.

we are obsessed with keeping our shape even against poor Scottish opposition.

I’d like a more aggressive approach sometimes, a higher press and occasionally direct.

as mental as it sounds, for Scottish domestic football our players are probably over coached.

Let's rip it up start again and heap pressure on to the new manager to stop the "10" and if that fails sack him as well. In the real world though we can't afford to continually rip it up and start again with the player turnover as it simply doesn't work.

The collapse this season was disappointing but we were the masters of our down fall by not putting teams away and players making mistakes that end up costing us dearly. There is also not much we can do when the scum were 13 points better of than they were last season so they have improved as well. The cup final we were denied by a keeper who produced a performance like Goram did against them back in the day he saved everything then the goal was blatantly offside.

The European run is a bonus but we can't downplay the progress on that front where were 3 seasons ago losing to teams like Progres to beating teams like Porto and Braga. The money the club has earned from that front has also accelerated the club in improving the financial side of things as well.

I agree he needs to win something next season but he has enough credit in the bank to earn the right to take us forward next season. 1 to 11 on our day we are the best team in the league but outwith the starting 11 the depth isnt there and thats where we need to improve and if he does that then we will go places under Gerrard.
Nobody is saying he shouldn't get next season.What I said in OP is if he doesn't do it next season that should be it.

Because of the base he began with.

Different if Gerrard walked into a squad chock full of winners and finished 2nd twice. But he didn't. Easy enough for Deila, Rodgers and Lennon to walk into a ready made championship winning squad and change very little.

He walked into a football bombsite littered with overpaid duds and players who in all honesty had no business being in a Rangers team in the Premiership.

Gerrard's had to rebuild from scratch - The goalkeeper, the defence, the midfield, the attack. There isn't an area in the team he hasn't hugely improved. He deserves enormous credit for the changes he's made to our defensive record. We were losing FIFTY goals in the league to utter muck before he arrived.

Now, you can make the argument that Gerrard is possibly the bridging manager - the manager to vastly improve us all over the board but not get us over that line(see Tommy Burns at Celtic) but he absolutely deserves another shot at this. He's more than earned it.
I fully agree. The improvement he made in season 1 was probably more than anyone expected. But we haven't built on that domestically, IMO. There was still the same post xmas collapse and still the same dropped points against the dross that we someone managed to turn a win into a draw or a defeat.

I do agree he deserves one more chance, but if the above happens next season then he deserves the boot.

I dont care about the league cup or the scottish cup. If he doesnt win the league he should be told to sling his hook. No way he can go another year with them winning another league.

Are you conviently forgetting having less than half a wage bill than the manks? What about the referees ahem impartiality in Scotland too. Any manager experienced on not would struggle to win trophies with those conditions. We are now in a much better position to challenge, much of that is indeed down to Gerrard.

I'm not forgetting that at all. I'm also not forgetting about our inability to beat utter shite in the league, which is what scuppered another league campaign halfway through the year.

Can't do much about referees. We shot ourselves in the foot in the LCF and they can't be blamed for failing to beat the team bottom of the league - what was it, three times?

What does "a better position to challenge" mean to you? Out of the title race again the first week after the break?

Back