How can SG pick Flanagan over Patterson on Sunday???

Gazza no8

Official Ticketer
Give me one thing that Flanagan will do better that Patterson ???

Our manager must look at Frimpong and Hicky , 2 young full backs doing a job.

why not our promising full back who’s style is the same as tavs... a style that helps our front 3 with the balance of our team

we need to win on Sunday.,,, Patterson is better , more attacking and more likely to create than Flanagan

the last 2 performances show the above quite clearly

I was disappointed, tbh. I see the logic, but I would've been playing patterson tonight, and if he did well, put him on Sunday. Flanagan offers nothing going forward, but also got sucked into umpteem stupid fouls tonight as well.

I think it was a tough decision. You’d like to think he would have been a much better option tonight but would he be confident playing at Tynecastle. If not- JF had to play tonight.

Read in the programme that Tav has been back in training since Monday.
I’m still hoping he’s fit for Tynecastle.

If ever those who don’t rate him needed to see what we miss when he’s not in the team it was clearly evidenced tonight.

Flanagan is a good solid defender. Now’s not quite the time to test young guys like Patterson, if he made a mistake etc I could wreck his confidence

It’s a big ask to throw a young boy into 3 games in a week when he’d never played a competitive game with the first team prior. Particularly when we dropped points in this fixture last season and there’s so much at stake.

Keep him in and around the squad and get him minutes when we can. We have to trust the gaffer on this one, he’ll know better than anyone how ready NP is.

why not our promising full back who’s style is the same as tavs... a style that helps our front 3 with the balance of our team

we need to win on Sunday.,,, Patterson is better , more attacking and more likely to create than Flanagan

Frimpong has given away 2 penalties, been sent off and gets caught out regularly defensively. He’s also went off injured tonight after a heavy tackle

Anyone that watches hickey will know he’s not physically ready

That’s why we can’t just throw young boys into games

The same Frimpong who’s given away two penalties in the last two months?

can you imagine were 1 nil up and our young full back gives away an equalising penalty?

the manager and his coaching team know the abilities of their players and the abilities of the opposition. He picked Flannigan because he considered his options and that was his decision to make.

Paterson's chance will come, the last thing he needs this early on is being thrown into a game like tynecastle on Sunday. Flanagan needed to play tonight to get himself fit for that game, that's the way I see it.

Get real you if Gerrard didn’t start him at home to st mirren then he is hardly going to start him away to hearts.
Tonight shows how much we miss tav

Hearts play an extremely high line under Stendel, they stuck to it at home to Celtic so it's a safe assumption they will at the weekend.

It suits Patterson more than Flanagan, as does our style of play in general.

Flanagan needed minutes before Sunday.

Playing Flanagan on Sunday is the correct decision.

By the way, I heard a mentally challenged on Radio Clyde earlier saying Frimpong is never a defender and Hickey has been a bombscare for months, probably down to overexposure.

Trent alexander arnold broke through at liverpool at 19, won the champions league and is on course for the league title this year and has developed into the best RB on the planet. Age doesnt matter.

I thought Flanagan was poor tonight going forward but he's solid at the back. I thought Patterson was outstanding in the cup game but he didn't have to defend at all. Looked decent in the youth games I've been to but a completely different standard.

Patterson has started one competitive game, I would also like to see Polster before him. The manager obviously trusts Flanagan. Its good we have options.

Personally, I would have played Patterson tonight and probably Flannagan away to Hearts.

Lets get real patterson is only a boy who needs looked after we have fans that if the lad was threw in too early and god forbid cost points he would get destroyed

His time will come just not yet

I've seen calls for Patterson all through the match thread. When did he turn into a world beater?

Because Hearts are going to kick the %^*& out of our players at the weekend and the referee is going to do absolutely %^*& all about it.

Putting him into a game that is going to be unnecessarily violent for our players would be a mistake

Because it’s too much pressure on young shoulders early in his career. Ease him in and develop him properly, not throw him in and hope. We are going for a league title here and if that young man makes a mistake that costs us, his career could be finished before it’s begun.

Flanagan clearly played tonight to give him some minutes prior to sun. Patterson's time will come, but doubt it'll be on Sunday.

In this case I think the manager is using his squad in the correct manner. He knew this was going to be a stuffy match and when that happens the crowd can get on the backs of players. He probably felt Flanagan could handle things better and also takes the young guy out of the spotlight a little and allows him to develop.

He’ll watch him in training, speak to him, have a think about his progress and temperament, how he’ll fit in with what he wants from the team and make the decision what’s best for the team and player.

I thought he was terrible defensively and attacking tonight. Was so slow late in the game when the wide man went past him.

That said, I don’t think we can now throw Patterson in at Tynecastle after leaving him out tonight.
He was solid defensively, he won all his 1 v 1s and broke up quite a few attacks by nipping in front of the attacker.
He offers no threat going forward but we know that.

Folk getting ridiculously carried away about Paterson here. It’s not helpful for the lad either. The fact that he’s around the first team is brilliant but he’s played a friendly and a game against Stranraer. Flanagan has never let us down, has played at a very high level and has been a model pro since arriving.

Some people should take a look at themselves and realise what our captain brings us right enough in his absence.

Back