How can SG pick Flanagan over Patterson on Sunday???

Give me one thing that Flanagan will do better that Patterson ???

Our manager must look at Frimpong and Hicky , 2 young full backs doing a job.

why not our promising full back who’s style is the same as tavs... a style that helps our front 3 with the balance of our team

we need to win on Sunday.,,, Patterson is better , more attacking and more likely to create than Flanagan

the last 2 performances show the above quite clearly
If the youngster is good enough he will be played but he needs to be better than the player he is replacing and JF defended very well tonight as well as pushing forward so see no reason to change unless Tav is fit.
We don’t see the kid everyday and we don’t have a clue if he is really ready yet.

Flanagan can't attack and he isn't as good defensively as some on here seem to think. That said, I thought he did OK tonight in what was always going to be an awful match.

I would far rather we put our trust in youth but ultimately Gerrard is the manager and he is doing a brilliant job, he sees the players train every day and has made the call.

why not our promising full back who’s style is the same as tavs... a style that helps our front 3 with the balance of our team

we need to win on Sunday.,,, Patterson is better , more attacking and more likely to create than Flanagan

Can I ask what Flanagan done wrong tonight? People always find something to moan about.

"The last 2 performances show the above quite clearly" :))

I'm as excited as the rest of us about young Nathan but come on tae f*ck man. So Flanagan's years of EPL and European experience are in the bin because an 18 year old had a good game against Stranraer?
Agree, there is a time and a place to blood young players. Away to Hearts in the middle of a close Title race is not it. Cameos from the bench as and when required is a good starting point.

Reactions: TN8
I do see the logic on playing Flanagan but in saying that when really is the time at Rangers?
If the boy made a mistake at this stage it could ruin him. It's as about protecting him as much as is about getting 3 points. I suppose the time is when we're a few goals up or 10 points in front.

You pump funds into it to produce players like Ferguson, McGregor, Hutton etc. The best players always get through and those who are not good enough for us don’t. It’s really quite simple. We have a group of decent kids but that doesn’t mean they are all ready to come into our team week in week out. Especially when the team are doing well.

Josh McPake is one of the biggest prospects we have, he’s been unable to get a game at Dundee. Talented boys doesn’t mean ready for a title race, the most important one we’ve had in years. If the manager thought he was currently a better option than Flanagan do you seriously think he wouldn’t be playing? But then the manager sees them day in day out and you’ve seen the lad in the first team for less than 2 games.
Not true.

Wrong decisions can hamper boys mentally and stunt their development, no matter the talent they possess. Its not as simple as “the best will get through”.

Gerrard picked Flanagan because he is guilty of being too conservative at times. He described his performance as “steady”, against St Mirren at home. Steady? If he doesn’t trust Patterson to come in then sign a right back because we can’t afford to lose so much going forward when Tav is out.

Agree, there is a time and a place to blood young players. Away to Hearts in the middle of a close Title race is not it. Cameos from the bench as and when required is a good starting point.

The thread is actually a good example of why alot of youngsters might struggle at Rangers. People really do jump the gun at times.

Lol. Some of the excuses......
Can’t risk playing an 18 year old at home to St Mirren or away to bottom of the league Hearts

Same people probably in threads moaning about Gilmour leaving and saying he’d get more of a chance here. Haha

I wonder why Flanagan is ahead of Polster. Experienced right sided defender too, but better going forward.

Would still go with Flanagan on Sunday, however thought Patterson would have started tonight, dominated possession, would have been ideal first league game for him given his impressive performance on Friday.

Because you dont put in a young player into a game like that.

In this type of game the onus would be on him.

Put him in a game with no pressure

Flanagan has the experience playing at the higher level. While Patterson played well on Friday, Stranraer were hardly a challenge for the young lad. I dont want to see him playing too much, too early in his senior career. At this moment in time he is good cover to have on the bench.

Trent alexander arnold broke through at liverpool at 19, won the champions league and is on course for the league title this year and has developed into the best RB on the planet. Age doesnt matter.

An extreme example to give, mate.

Flanagan is a solid pro with a vast amount of experience and Paterson is a rookie, it’s pretty fkn obvious why Flanagan is preferred, we have a title to win.

Flanagan has the Experience.

Especially at this point in the season when we’re just back, no momentum built up, key players missing.

There will be games this season to give the youngsters minutes, but not where we’re sitting in the league and teams are coming to Ibrox and parking the bus, hoping to hit us on the break. One mistake, a missed tackle, a slack pass that leads to a goal could see the boy crumble and fans jumping on his back at this nervy time.

Whats extreme about it? its a fact

Technically it is, but you are using someone who was most likely head and shoulders above Patterson as an example as to why.....

Maybe Patterson got a run out v Stranraer as it was safe, done ok, but is clearly not ready to have the responsibility on Sunday as he's only played in one first team match.

I thought Flanagan was terrible tonight. Regrettably, I didn't expect anything different. The "he's solid defensively" stuff is largely a myth. Sure, he is solid in the challenge and wins a few but he is constantly caught out of position and is dreadfully slow. I wouldn't have played him tonight and I wouldn't play him at Tynecastle on Sunday. But in so far as he played tonight then he is a stick on to play on Sunday. Personally, I would do pretty much anything to avoid playing him. I would certainly have played Patterson before him tonight and the same at Tynescastle. Indeed, much as I would be loathe to move Jack out of the middle of the park, I would even be prepared to play Jack at right back and go with Davis, Kamara and Arfield in midfield for a couple of games.

If ever a game showed how important Tav and Morelos are to our team then it was tonight's game.

Sunday will be a very different game from tonight. They'll come onto us more; it's a tight pitch; and we will surely play at a higher tempo than we did tonight. I think we'll be fine on Sunday but Flanagan really does worry me.

Not true.

Wrong decisions can hamper boys mentally and stunt their development, no matter the talent they possess. Its not as simple as “the best will get through”.

Gerrard picked Flanagan because he is guilty of being too conservative at times. He described his performance as “steady”, against St Mirren at home. Steady? If he doesn’t trust Patterson to come in then sign a right back because we can’t afford to lose so much going forward when Tav is out.

Of course the best get through. Give me an example of a player who never got through at Ibrox and went on to be a top player? I’m sick hearing this drivel. We had it from folk about Charlie Telfer and various others over the years. It’s clueless nonsense. If you’re not mentally tough then Rangers isn’t the club for you. Being the best isn’t just about having ability, it’s the whole package. Man Utd are going with the throw the kids in approach just now, how’s that working out for them? Chelsea have been forced into it and they are a million miles off it too. I love to see kids getting through and playing in the first team but we are not about misty eyes and just throwing boys in for the sake of it. If he was seen to be better than Flanagan he’d play.

You don’t get fullbacks like Tav for buttons during the January window. Also he’ll be back within a couple of weeks. We won and had a clean sheet tonight. You’re being ridiculously dramatic about nothing.

Young lad not been tested defensively yet
That is it in a nutshell. Patterson looks a good prospect but we don't know if he is ready defensively. A decent performance against Stranraer doesn't justify chucking him in at Tynecastle just because Flanagan isn't great going forward. He's a solid defender and an able deputy. Let the attacking players worry about providing a goal.

The reality is that given that every point is important that SG like any manager will go with mediocre experience over exciting prospect every time.

We won the game so he picked a team to win. You can't say he made a mistake. Impossible to say if we'd have won with Patterson

I'd give Patterson a chance on Sunday. If that Frimpong can play away at Pittodrie for the filth then we can give our young right back a go away to Hearts

If you can’t throw Patterson in against a poor st mirren side when can you? Missed opportunity tonight. He’s either got it or he doesn’t. Gerrard has one flaw as a manager and its this constant pragmatic super conservative approach.
Play the kid for an hour. Or play him the last half hour.
Flanagan offers %^*& all for our system.

I would have Flanagan at Tynecastle on Sunday before Patterson just for the experience alone. Although in saying that Flanagan offered nothing in attack tonight, and I mean nothing. He was really poor.

Flanagan was rank tonight, caught out a few times.
Going forward, i would release him in the summer.
He is not good enough
He is taking patersons chance, we is not on for next season.

Clearly you are in the “I don’t like Flanagan“ camp but why do you people feel the need to come on here and make stuff up ?

When did he get caught out ? A man never went passed him all night. The only defenders that got caught out tonight were Goldson and Katic, around the 15 min mark where we were lucky it was only a corner they got When Goldson got caught with a long ball and the guy crossed it and Katic was marking fresh air. Then late in the game Katic lost his man again but he was stretching and he couldn’t get enough on his header

You’ve lost your argument right there.

Clearly you are in the “I don’t like Flanagan“ camp but why do you people feel the need to come on here and make stuff up ?

When did he get caught out ? A man never went passed him all night. The only defenders that got caught out tonight were Goldson and Katic, around the 15 min mark where we were lucky it was only a corner they got When Goldson got caught with a long ball and the guy crossed it and Katic was marking fresh air. Then late in the game Katic lost his man again but he was stretching and he couldn’t get enough on his header
I liked him last season, but we have moved up a level or two since then.
I thought he was poor tonight.
We need to get rid of flanagan, halliday and ojo for a start. That was a weak bench tonight.
Where us greg stewart?
Should be on the bench .

I think we will need a bit of physicality in the team for Sunday, it looks as if that was the reason Flannigan was in tonight, its hard to bring in young guys just now.

Frimpong has given away 2 penalties, been sent off and gets caught out regularly defensively. He’s also went off injured tonight after a heavy tackle

Anyone that watches hickey will know he’s not physically ready

That’s why we can’t just throw young boys into games
Fed up of the downplaying if Frimping. As much as it pains me to say it the boy is a talent. Blue tinted specs off for a second. Probably the dhims best player

Whats extreme about it? its a fact

Was Flanagan not 19 when he was almost an ever present in the Liverpool team that eventually blew the league and finished second. He played both right and left back and got capped for England before injury stalled his career.

I was disappointed, tbh. I see the logic, but I would've been playing patterson tonight, and if he did well, put him on Sunday. Flanagan offers nothing going forward, but also got sucked into umpteem stupid fouls tonight as well.
It’s truly incredible how this is held against Flanagan when not too long ago, the opposite argument was used for Flanagan against Tavernier.
I’d have went for Patterson as well but surely a blind man can see why others, including the manager, went for Flanagan.

Fed up of the downplaying if Frimping. As much as it pains me to say it the boy is a talent. Blue tinted specs off for a second. Probably the dhims best player

Sorry but you are absolutely having a laugh here. I’m not going to come on and praise any of their players but saying he’s the best is quite simply embarrassing.

And what about Tynecastle?

You’ve got to have confidence in these boys, nothing about Hearts this season gives me any fears about playing Patterson. Another 90 mins of first team football tonight would have helped towards Sunday. Our style of play requires two attack minded full backs and Flanagan hinders us so much.

Spot on.
If Tav leaves for any reason in the summer, flanagan aint the answer.
I wouldnt give him another contract.
I thought Flanagan was terrible tonight. Regrettably, I didn't expect anything different. The "he's solid defensively" stuff is largely a myth. Sure, he is solid in the challenge and wins a few but he is constantly caught out of position and is dreadfully slow. I wouldn't have played him tonight and I wouldn't play him at Tynecastle on Sunday. But in so far as he played tonight then he is a stick on to play on Sunday. Personally, I would do pretty much anything to avoid playing him. I would certainly have played Patterson before him tonight and the same at Tynescastle. Indeed, much as I would be loathe to move Jack out of the middle of the park, I would even be prepared to play Jack at right back and go with Davis, Kamara and Arfield in midfield for a couple of games.

If ever a game showed how important Tav and Morelos are to our team then it was tonight's game.

Sunday will be a very different game from tonight. They'll come onto us more; it's a tight pitch; and we will surely play at a higher tempo than we did tonight. I think we'll be fine on Sunday but Flanagan really does worry me.

Back