How did you really feel when Steven Gerrard was appointed manager?

Raging I wanted Mcinnes.

I was glad we dodged a bullet

I was excited like I was at 13 when we got souness. After the last few years . Still in awe . If he was talking about knitting I would listen as he would make it sound interesting. I could listen to him all day.

Being honest i was despondent, thought it was a terrible move.

I'm delighted to have been wrong

Refreshingly honest.

If other posters were as honest, many of them would have felt the same way.

I thought it was a huge gamble, an absolute rookie when I thought we needed a 'statement' manager. a guy with a proven track record and as safe a pair of hands as you can get in a game as capricious and cruel as football is.

But I absolutely didn't want Derek McInnes anywhere near the Rangers dressing room, that I can remember as clear as day - and it was a real possibility.

I'm absolutely delighted with the progress made on and off the pitch. We have a modern and astute manager who has shown already he's a fast learner. #55iscoming

Was absolutely delighted, buzzing and still am. Reminded me so much of when Souness unexpectedly arrived out of the blue.

Gerrard will deliver title number 55 for us.

Buzzing.

remember the first time I heard and was confused at why it appealed to me. We had been crying out for an experienced manager and he was everything but that. Had a few arguments with my dad and mates that this was the right decision but they ( also rightly ) didn't buy in as quick as me.

Initially I was sceptical, thought we needed a steady experienced hand after the shambles of Warburton/Murty/Caixinha/Murty. Within about 5 hours and hearing his first interview, I booked my ticket for the Gerrard Express.

Honestly felt excited on the one hand but mostly felt dread. Another project manager who will be sacked within the year.

But he has improved the team immensely to what we have had and I really want him to leave with trophies.

Honestly was unsure, went into Ibrox to see him unveiled though and got caught up in a wave of good feeling at a time we needed it.

Never looked back, love the gaffer and his staff.

I was buzzzing. He was my favourite non Rangers player growing up and knowing how much passion he had knew he would be the right man for the job. Last week I said to my mate, I still can’t believe Steven Gerrard is our manager

Just like the OP - I was cautious

I'd been expecting a well tried & tested old hand who'd been round the block at least once & who'd have no shortage of experience - despite the fact that doesn't always work

I'd also bought into the rumour a few weeks before that we were interested in GVB & was hoping that would pan out

I had nagging nightmares that we may go for another underwhelming type in the McInnes mould

But for all that I was not on board the SG Express when it left the station - it seemed such a tall ask for an under 18's coach - but I'm glad to say I have since got on the train at a later stop & have enjoyed the ride so far - but am even more enthusiastic about the remainder of the journey & the destinations along the route

For a club of our size and where we were at the time my thought was this is a massive gamble that if it backfires I can't see where we go from here. I was excited at what new innovations he may bring I was cautiously optimistic

I just about threw a fit, basically argued with my father and brother over it, was so sure it would end quickly in tears.
Never been happier to be wrong.

The same buzz I got when we unveiled Souness. Some folk on here still think the gamble was too big. Still not sure about SG.
It's true he's won nothing but I'm confident that's all about to change.

I was gutted, thought the risk was to great and didn't like man as player.
I was full of it and now think Stevie G will someday lead Them down South to a World Cup.
He just gets modern football in a way I don't.
Never have I been more glad to be wrong.
In hindsight I think my McCoist aversion effected my thinking. Pre collapse I knew he was wrong choice and feel his Euro disater is partially responsible with our troubles.

In all honestly I was against it and I thought it was a massive risk but his arrival video and conference swung me massively "I got a different feeling" "Let's go" you could tell he was up to the challenge and understood what the club was about and knew he would demand high standards in all areas of the team

Happy and worried. I just thought anything can happen here. The fact he was a Liverpool legend meant nothing to me

I was buzzzing. He was my favourite non Rangers player growing up and knowing how much passion he had knew he would be the right man for the job. Last week I said to my mate, I still can’t believe Steven Gerrard is our manager

Same

I wonder how many people on this thread are at the whole "I thought he would be brilliant" but if you looked at the thread posted earlier their opinions were the opposite :D

When it was said we are interested I thought it was a terrible idea getting a rookie manager and we needed someone experienced in. I wanted that mad Belgian guy.

By the time he was announced I bought into the hype and was aboard the Gerrard express.

Shocked, excited but had a little caution until listening to him and Dave King at the press conference and after that I was buzzing and firmly onboard. The man is a born winner

On the day he was signed and paraded at Ibrox I was excited. Id got on the train by then. However when the speculation was floating about, I'll be honest, i didnt fancy us going with an untested manager.

It seems crazy now, we've made such progress under his leadership, but it did cross my mind when his name was first mention I feared we might be handing the mentally challengeds 10IAR. I remember thinking then, as I still do now, we better have got this one right because failure doesnt bear thinking about. Even with those reservations, I still thought he was preferable to McInnes. That would have been a disaster. I still get cold sweats thinking how close we were to signing him.

I'm much more confident Gerrard is the man to lead us back to glory after his first season in charge.

I was a bit concerned as I thought we needed an experienced manager and recent history had given me the fear in that regard. On a positive note I thought that Gerrard's name and reputation may help us attract a higher level of player and also command more respect among those here than the previous incumbents but I still had reservations.
Thankfully Gerrard seems to have brought a really great team with him, Beale etc, that's obviously helped but I've also been more impressed than I expected to be by his management skills and the drive to succeed that is passed onto the players.
After my initial 'meh' at the appointment I just decided to go with the flow and get caught up in the excitment, much of sport is all about the hope anyway, and if he crashed and burned then I'd deal with that later. Thankfully he's far exceeded my expectations and I'm now a massive fanboy. No Stevie G posters on the wall though at my age :p

Incredulous. It seemed like a bizarre move to me.

Then I got fully swept up in everyone else's enthusiasm, it was lovely.

A former player turned pundit with no managerial experience up against Rodgers, I thought the board were on drugs.

Sceptical. Wanted someone boring and predictable who had worked in scottish football and knew it inside out, and was nervous that we would be doomed if the gamble didn't pay off.

Jumped on the Gerrard Express straight away. Was exceedingly optimistic and I feel my initial reaction has been validated so far and 55 will confirm it completely.

I was on a train from St Helens back up to Glasgow the day he was due to be unveiled. Like a right clown, I thought that maybe he would fancy getting the train up. My eyes were like Craig Whytes when the train pulled into Preston Station scanning the platform. I also admittedly looked at every People Carrier on the M6/M74 when the train was close enough at various points. I'm 43yrs old by the way.

I was delighted when it actually happened. I was convinced that the stories in the media were an attempt to take the piss out of our support. When it actually happened I remember seeing his press conference a d letting out a very loud yyyyaaaaaaaasssssssssssss!!!!!!!! The man is a cut above any manager in the country and light years ahead of treacle teeth and McInnes.

“What makes you think he’ll inspire the players? What about the fans? I’m a fan and I think it’s a ridiculous move that could easily spell the end of the road for the current board.” Copyright - Jacrispy :))

I was fairly unsure given his inexperience until "I've held positive talk with Rangers" and from there I just started to buy into it more and more. He has a presence, it was impossible not to notice it early on.

Excited but was scared it wouldn’t happen! The speculation was intense. Mind we were all waiting on him appearing on a Champions League (I think) programme and he said he’d spoken with Rangers. I seem to remember more positivity on here than negativity. And it was a massive get it up you to Humza et al.

Being honest I was underwhelmed. I didn’t think a rookie manager was what we needed.

I’ve been very pleasantly surprised.

I thought it was a huge gamble and felt we should be going for someone with more experience.

I was the same plus being fond of Manchester United I never really liked Gerrard and thought he was a diving b*****d. Some crackers on YouTube out there.
Whether he will win the league we will just have to wait and see but I have been hugely impressed with his manner and overall running of the team and we are better now than I imagined we would be after a year of so.

Very excited. We had a proper manager in charge and not a Mexican imbecile or one that looked like he was ready to burst in to tears.

I was too young for Souness but this felt as close as we could get to it.

Also must say, a more experienced manager would have been welcomed too, but there was a severe lack of managers available at that time that I felt we would realistically go for.

I had only ever heard his interviews through the passion of a winning or losing player. I genuinely had no idea he was so articulate and abrasive in the face of scrutiny. He is the best thing to happen to us since Walter returned. I've no words to explain how great he is for instilling the values we have as a club again.

Back