How did you really feel when Steven Gerrard was appointed manager?

I have always admired Stevie G as a player. A fantastically talented and driven player and a leader of his team from a young age, even at 18/19 yo he was geeing up his team, not as captain or senior player, as a kid.
So when he was rumoured on here, of course, I was excited. As said above Leader are leaders, and his stature is a high as anyone in football. But to see him wearing a blue shirt and Rangers tie was a thing of beauty.
A master stroke by the club!

First thought was inexperienced and big risk.
This never lasted long before it suddenly dawned on me that we would have a world class player as our Manager, the opportunities that this would give us when trying to attract players to the club as well as the media coverage we would get is something not to turn down.
I hope we can keep him for another 2 seasons and he wins everything going.

Any manager we would have got would have been a gamble. But going for the big name payed off as half the players we've signed would never have came if Gerrard wasn't gaffer

My oldest sons first game was our first game at Ibrox in the 3rd division. He just got it right away. He loved his team no matter how pish we were.

Telling him Steven Gerrard was gonna be our manager and seeing his face was something else. He came running down and showed me Suarez tweeting a photo of the gaffer In the trophy room. It was just brilliant.

I was on board with it straight away. The gaffers a winner and it just felt right.

Honestly. Really excited. Reminiscent of Souness arriving.

And I’m still loving it now

Excited but cautious.

Old enough to have seen many a world class player fail to cut it as a manager.

Suffice to say, it looks like my caution was wise but unfounded.

When I first heard about it I didn't really believe it,I mean STEVEN GERRARD Rangers manager WTF then it slowly began dawning on me that it was really happening then came the Gobsmacked moment both positivly his legend status in the game what he had achieved and also what he could achieve ,then came the doubts,why was he coming here to our club,I mean he could have the choice of many EPL clubs It was a strange feeling positive negative the doubts and the questions,but what a ride it's been so far, as we often said back then Choo Fuckin Choo Let's GO and we're still rolling

When it was first announced I wasn't happy. Thought it seemed gimmicky and an untested manager was the last thing we needed - was looking for someone with experience to steady the ship. In summary, I am a fud.

To be fair though by the time he was appointed I was buzing, real feel good factor about it and he came across really well in his initial press conference & interviews.

Now, i'm in love with him.

I read the Gerrard Express thread thinking ffs there’s folk on here acting like Gerrard is bigger than the club, like we should be in total awe of him choosing one of the biggest clubs in the world to start his managerial career.
Yes I enjoyed the positive attention we were getting from the likes of Sky but I had big doubts about his ability to manage an iconic huge club such as us.....

I was wrong, he’s a natural at this and is going to go down in history as the man who made us great again

Some on here didn’t even rate him that highly as a player on here before he was our manager.

Funny how quiet they are now.

I was excited to have him. We needed a shot in the arm instead of going for mediocre safe managers with a short term vision.

After the hell of the Pedro/Murty tenure, and the ghastly spectre of McInnes I felt only sheer relief when a man of his stature walked in the door. However it was going to turn out you knew instantly we were no longer a ‘joke club’.

I put up a thread when we were looking for a new manager and was basically shot down in flames when I said about Steven Gerrard. To a point it was understandable, but the man is a class act, a very knowledgeable footballer with a great reputation. The big question mark was he ready to manage us........

He would need funding and support from the board, he's got that, even though we have to work within a certain criteria. I'm delighted for him, but most importantly, I'm delighted for us and our football club.

He has built up a squad of players, that has us in the best possible position to win the title, that is down to this management and again, I'm delighted.

I think I got it right, originally..........

I felt over the moon especially after the ribbing I took on here for suggesting that we go for him as manager. I have always stated he'd be a good choice as he understands the demands of a big club and proved he can handle pressure. He is also a massive attraction when trying to sign new players. It showed that we as a club can still attract the biggest names in the game and he has raised our profile massively. The only negative was that he didn't have much managerial experience but I believe he's proved to be a very good appointment and will only improve.

I just thought it was a genius idea from the board I just knew he wouldn't take any crap from anyone and finally after all those years of torture we were getting a class manager to get us back to where we belong it felt like a whole weight had been lifted from my shoulders and we were in safe hands

I admit i was very cautious at first as i thought we needed to bring someone in with experience. But i could not be happier with how things have went for us in his short time as manager so far. I feel so confident now that he is the man that will deliver 55 to us all.

Mixed emotions and cautious as you said. Thought it was a brave appointment from the board and we have Dave King to thank for that.
As it turns out he’s been an amazing manager and I’m confident he’ll bring us 55 and many many more trophies. Considering some of the shite we were linked with at the time there’s no doubt in my mind he was the right man for the job and will be for years to come(hopefully):cool:

Not right away,but after it had sunk in that he was our new manager i thought he will attract players to our club because of who he is.

I admit i was very cautious at first as i thought we needed to bring someone in with experience. But i could not be happier with how things have went for us in his short time as manager so far. I feel so confident now that he is the man that will deliver 55 to us all.

Numb, surreal, amazed but most importantly arroused.

Really inspired and quietly confident he would put us back on track.
His stature has brought us quality players with a relatively resonsonable price or on loan.
His very professional and eloquent on how he goes about on press conferences (no messing about with him).
He will acheive what we all crave for.
Very inspirational man with his methods.

Liverpool was always my english team dont know why. Gerrard was the hero that I knew would bring class, passion & fighting spirit that we desperately needed. Now is when im hoping he becomes Rangers legend aswell as Liverpool and i ve got a good feeling of a party at the end of this season!

Initially when it was just whispers, I was dubious to say the least. By the time of his signing, thanks to friends & the 55 Gerrard Express thread, I was a fully paid up member of said virtual train journey!

What I liked about it was I assumed Gerrard wouldn’t be coming unless he had been assured backing so that made me feel good about it. I assumed his name would attract better players regardless of league and finances.

On the down side I knew we couldn’t afford another %^*& up or the paedos could very quickly be looking at 10, 11, 12.....in a row. That was a big concern.

Thankfully Stevie G has lived up to his billing and, even if we don’t win the league this year, everything points to us being a far far better side than last season which should mean silverware and the dirty fu.ck pub scum reeled in a little bit more.

My view was he can't be any worse than Murty, Warburton or Pedro, and if nothing else he is a big name and would attract players to Ibrox.

Was delighted when he signed. Headed down to Ibrox with other 10,000 folk to welcome him. Always loved the player, and thought he`ll defo be a thorough gaffer. He`ll lead us to glory, i`ve no doubt.

It was a mixture of emotions. Incredible relief that the perennial loser McInnes didn’t take the job, but considerable concern about the appointment someone who was essentially a rookie manager. A big name as a player, but still inexperienced and with no track record as a manager. I can, to certain extent, understand why they went for McInnes, it probably seemed a “safe pair of hands” following the performance of both Warburton and Caixinha, but I thought it a gamble to appoint Steven Gerrard.

However, my concerns were allayed when I listened to his first press conference and I became quite excited by the prospect of having such a high profile manager but with some reservations. In my heart I hoped we would a trophy in his first season but as a said to one my mates, my head says that his first season will be a rebuilding and development period and it won’t be until his second season that the Rangers will really become a real force again. So far, so good.

I couldn't believe he came to us. I was totally unsure about his managerial ability, but just the fact a guy of his profile was coming to us, after we'd been swimming in shit for so long seemed almost surreal.

To this day I still pinch myself a bit that he's managing our club.

After what we had just been through I thought this was far to risky. I think it actually sank in when he walked into the press conference with Dave King. Just the way the man speaks and his experience is second to none.
I’m convinced he’s the man that will bring us 55.

It was quite a confusing announcement. We didn't really what level of manager we were going to get based on his experience in management and coaching. However, it was quite exciting to have such a big name - someone so massive in the game of football coming to Rangers.

I think however, the first part that was the concern has quickly been cleared up. He's clearly a good manager and is going to keep getting better. He is learning all the time. He is also using his experience as a footballer and his professionalism to get the most out of the players at Rangers just now.

A classy guy. A good manager and he's ours.

Elated!

Being honest, until he was announced I was not impressed at all. Thought it was yet another needless gamble, then the day he was unveiled that all changed and suddenly I was buzzing and that excitement has never went.

I was delighted that someone of his standing in world football was taking over and saw it as a positive in many ways.

Players would be in awe and trying to impress instead of thinking who's this numpty trying to tell me what to do.

The profile of Rangers would instantly improve worldwide.

He wouldn't accept pish from anyone.

He likes the game played in a positive and intense manner

The only negative was experience but everything else outweighed that.

source.gif

I was abroad at my pc...

When i first heard i didn’t believe it. Immediate thought was he didn’t have the experience etc. After a few minutes to process it, the excitement took hold that we needed a figurehead who could handle the challenge and lead the club. The day he was unveiled at Ibrox is a day i will never forget. Hope turned to confidence that 55 is coming.

Back