How does this Euro run get remembered?

Marstonbear

Missed opportunity tonight no question.

In years to come we’ll recall battling to a final with no strikers and 2 international players missing through injury for the last months of the season.

The Dortmund ties and home games v Braga and RB will be added to the lexicon of great Rangers matches

We’ll recall that our full back was top scorer in the competition and how a left back signed for buttons morphed into a centre half who played a blinder in the final

Tbh I'd only remember it if we won we were second best for most of the game and deserved what we got no composure or bravery or creativity took a Nazi mistake to get a goal and then we blew it and let them score still don't know what Goldson's doing.

After what was inflicted upon us we have made Europe sit up up and take notice,
we are back on the radar as a team to be reckoned with.
The Rangers are back onwards and upwards.

Not allowing one of the players who got us there,to be given the opportunity from the spot.Ramsey (a player who contributed) next nothing,absolutely the wrong choice.:mad:

How much do you remember from 2008?

That about answers your question.
Completely different runs hard to compare, as OP says this was there for the taking. 2008 was always a step too far we were running out of steam
Towards the end

I am guessing we won't name a restaurant after it or build a wall in it's name. However, when the dust has settled, it will be seen as a magnificent campaign (it deserves to be seen as such).

It'll be a very, very, long time before we have a finalist at this level again (we've done this against all the odds).

The third tier tournament may yet offer a wee bit of hope.

Am I gutted tonight? Too right I am to the extent my stomach hurts but a sense of reality has to return.

In years to come we’ll recall battling to a final with no strikers and 2 international players missing through injury for the last months of the season.

The Dortmund ties and home games v Braga and RB will be added to the lexicon of great Rangers matches

We’ll recall that our full back was top scorer in the competition and how a left back signed for buttons morphed into a centre half who played a blinder in the final
With enormous pride!!!

An amazing campaign, in which we went toe-to-toe with teams assembled for 10x the sum of our squad, and eliminated all of them. And. over the last 4 years, displaying a consistency in Europe I've never seen before from a Rangers team. The term "punch above our weight" is often used, but I think that's a bit misleading; we deserved all our wins, and I don't think any of it was down to luck.

Finals are always different, and unfortunately the pressure/nerves seemed to affect too many of our players, Tav especially. I can't criticise too much, as we wouldn't have got here without his performances, but I'm sure there's a lot of gutted players in the dressing room. It's a bitter pill to end a fantastic campaign. Even more bitter that we may not see another final, given the way UEFA competitions are stacked.

It has been an absolutely stunning run, sensational performances at Ibrox in the knock out rounds and one real stand out away in Dortmund.
Glorious moments and ultimately falling at the final hurdle because of a great save in the 119th minute, a saved penalty, and a penalty just the right side of the post. Tight margins, but an excellent run well beyond our expectations.

It depends

If you lived it you won’t forget it

I’ll take Leipzig to the grave and no lady's front bottom takes that from me

If you want to be a proper fanny about it you try and act like it all never happened

Manchester had us bitter over fixtures

We have no complaints about this one.

This is sore and i think we did things like right

One penalty kick from immortality.

And that's after having to qualify for this tournament after dropping out the CL, not to mention losing our first two group games.

After getting through the groups we would face Borussia Dortmund who had a poor CL campaign but still a top side. On paper it's a glamour tie for us - it became a memorable night in Dortmund then at home. I thought that was the best atmosphere I'd been in.

Red Star at home was great.

Braga at home was better.

RB Leipzig? Fùck me. That was incredible. Like the three games before were squashed into one frantic 90 minutes.

Losing at the final hurdle is a boot to the balls but it's been a great journey.

Last edited:
Beat ever run in Europe in my lifetime (I’m too young for 72)

Beats 92/93 and Manchester hands down.

It took us three attempts to win the CWC.
We will win this trophy in a few years at the third attempt.
We have a team now that can play European football.

Make us dream! We lost on penalties but we will be back tonights result is horrible but it won't last forever still the most successful club in Scotland

The run was fantastic and financially it softened the blow of missing out on automatic champions league qualification next season.

However the board need to sit down now and have a serious look at things we can't continue spending ridiculously low amounts of money and expect to be fighting it out in Europe and domestically anymore.

The team really needs serious investment now as pretty much nothing has been spent for two years and it's starting to show.

Going into a major European final with only one half for striker on the bench should never have happened. Better planning in January and we'd be looking at going for a treble this Saturday I think.

Back