How far ahead is English football to the rest of the European teams?

And if you looked at last year where just one English club made the last 8 in CL and no further, but Spain, France and Germany each had 2.

And similarly only Man U in the semis was it for Europa?

So last year we’d be saying England was miles behind France who had 2 clubs in the semi, one in the final.

If English clubs had had a sustained period of dominance it may have had some merit.
Post Covid, and in a new austere era, they have the income....it is clear Real and Barca will have to cut cost and at least pretend to pay back some debt; Serie A doesn't have the same income streams; France has lost its TV deal and is trying to secure a lower one.

This is one of the reasons we need reform as it's all about money. Both clubs have extremely rich owners and can afford the very best.
What has impressed me is the young talent coming through like Mount, Foden and Grealish at other clubs.

An all English Champions League final and a good chance of an all English European final tomorrow. Likes of the Spanish and Italian teams seemed to have went back the way due to COVID. Got likes of Chelsea who are a decent side but still miles off it in the English league in terms of winning it and they're totally out playing Real Madrid and not only that but look miles fitter as well. Atletico offered absolutely nothing against them too. Don't see anybody breaking the English dominance anytime soon. Outwith Bayern, there's not really any teams capable of beating the top teams in England.
The only thing " English" about English football is the country they play in.The top teams are all owned by foreign billioniaires and run by foreign managers with the top players mainly foreign too.
Not having a go,its just the way things are but the English commentators are constantly rattling on about all English finals when its not really true.

The only thing " English" about English football is the country they play in.The top teams are all owned by foreign billioniaires and run by foreign managers with the top players mainly foreign too.
Not having a go,its just the way things are but the English commentators are constantly rattling on about all English finals when its not really true.
So we're a south african football club as our major share holder talks with an accent?

Of course they are english clubs, the fans are the heartbeat of any club it doesnt matter a %^*& where the owners are from.

In terms of this year's champions league final I don't think that's the best barometer to use when comparing English football to the rest if Europe. Look at some of the teams Chelsea beat to get to the final this year Krasnador and a Rennes in the group stages a Porto side we beat the season before one of the worst Real Madrid teams in recent memory and there declining Madrid neighbours.

There no doubt English clubs will mostly always be stronger financially than European clubs but I think its highlighted way more this season due to the pandemic. Also while the Epl has become a league which is very well run as a business and has become partly a tourist league with regular fans getting priced out inside and outs stadiums with rising tv prices and tickets. I feel other European leagues such as in Germany and Italy are still more fan oriented then the epl the greed hasn't gripped these leagues to the extent that its gripped the epl. Good sides In these leages can be priced out for players when up against the bottom sides from the epl this in turn driving the standard up in the epl while pushing the standard down in the European leagues.

Sky/BT invest that much money into English football of course they will of course tell you it is the strongest league in the world. In return, you get a soulless, tourist league

Having 2 finalists from the same country isn't a new thing and no real indication of the strength of the league, in the context of it being "miles ahead"

Are St Johnstone the strongest team in Scotland if they win both cups?

I don't think they are miles ahead just yet, but over the next decade they will pull further away, perhaps become untouchable if they manage to get the global streaming thing off the ground.

Just realised it’s a ridiculous troll thread
In what way is it a troll thread given the points I've made? English teams are dominating both European competitions and getting stronger while the other leagues are being hit financially and the bigger teams are regressing. I don't think it's unrealistic to think there's a very good chance English teams will continue to dominate over the next few years considering how far in front they are just now(with the exception of Bayern).

Last edited:
So we're a south african football club as our major share holder talks with an accent?

Of course they are english clubs, the fans are the heartbeat of any club it doesnt matter a %^*& where the owners are from.
Bad analogy mate Dave King has a Hutchy Grammar accent he is a born and bred Castlemilk boy.
My point was flippant and was meant to be having a go at the commentators going on an on about all English Finals when there is actually very little English input to that.

Bad analogy mate Dave King has a Hutchy Grammar accent he is a born and bred Castlemilk boy.
My point was flippant and was meant to be having a go at the commentators going on an on about all English Finals when there is actually very little English input to that.
I was cumming the c*nt :) ! I know what you mean but fans are the heartbeat and the World brand that's served up to us weekly from the EPL doesnt reflect the proper fans that followed City in League 1 etc.

While they might be a modernised, sanitised version of the old City they are still the same club at heart.

Who is their best 11 then? Reason why they've had to strengthen already for next season., haven't been a force this season.
they'd had beaten psg if Lewandowski wasn't injured, no idea who their best 11 are, but their style of play was the best to watch in the CL, even though they got beat, in the 1st leg especially they dominated psg the way man city never did over their two ties, also good teams never stand still and constant squad strengthening is the norm

One thing I really don't like about Man City is how over the top media trained the players seem to be, they seem to have had their character taken away from them. Mount looked so happy last night and spoke genuinely, Foden seemed the opposite on Tuesday. It's pretty sad all in all.

they'd had beaten psg if Lewandowski wasn't injured, no idea who their best 11 are, but their style of play was the best to watch in the CL, even though they got beat, in the 1st leg especially they dominated psg the way man city never did over their two ties, also good teams never stand still and constant squad strengthening is the norm
That last part you wrote is exactly what they haven't done at the back, why they've bought Upamecano. It was also what they were heavily criticised for 4/5 seasons ago when they kept on pushing up current players contracts and not buying new blood.

Pretty easy when they can spend over £100m every year on transfer fees and pay your players an average of £120k a week
Someone could buy the name Third Lanark, stick a few billion in the bank account and within a few years theyd be winning the SPFL and competing in the Champions League.

Pep might even fancy being the manager.

Anyone know a Saudi Prince looking to get into British Football?

That last part you wrote is exactly what they haven't done at the back, why they've bought Upamecano. It was also what they were heavily criticised for 4/5 seasons ago when they kept on pushing up current players contracts and not buying new blood.
all I know is what I saw the last two seasons, and to my eyes, when they play to form, no teams in england or the rest of europe for that matter can touch them

Last edited:
all I know is what I saw the last two sasons, and to my eyes, when they play to form, no teams in england or the rest of europe for that matter can touch them
I think City would be slight favs myself,obviously like to see it with Lewandowski and everyone fully fit on each side. Bayern should be more settled next season.

I think City would be slight favs myself,obviously like to see it with Lewandowski and everyone fully fit on each side. Bayern should be more settled next season.
the big question is if we qualify for the CL, and one of those two teams will be in our group, who would you fancy:))

In terms of this year's champions league final I don't think that's the best barometer to use when comparing English football to the rest if Europe. Look at some of the teams Chelsea beat to get to the final this year Krasnador and a Rennes in the group stages a Porto side we beat the season before one of the worst Real Madrid teams in recent memory and there declining Madrid neighbours.

There no doubt English clubs will mostly always be stronger financially than European clubs but I think its highlighted way more this season due to the pandemic. Also while the Epl has become a league which is very well run as a business and has become partly a tourist league with regular fans getting priced out inside and outs stadiums with rising tv prices and tickets. I feel other European leagues such as in Germany and Italy are still more fan oriented then the epl the greed hasn't gripped these leagues to the extent that its gripped the epl. Good sides In these leages can be priced out for players when up against the bottom sides from the epl this in turn driving the standard up in the epl while pushing the standard down in the European leagues.
Excellent post

In what way is it a troll thread given the points I've made? English teams are dominating both European competitions and getting stronger while the other leagues are being hit financially and the bigger teams are regressing. I don't think it's unrealistic to think there's a very good chance English teams will continue to dominate over the next few years considering how far in front they are just now(with the exception of Bayern).
Your replies identify it as trolling. It’s quite clear when people read your replies to valid points others have made.

The entire thread is founded on a ridiculous assertion.

Your replies identify it as trolling. It’s quite clear when people read your replies to valid points others have made.

The entire thread is founded on a ridiculous assertion.
People have different opinions, some people are agreeing with the points I've made, some people aren't. Just because you don't agree with what I've said, doesn't mean I'm trolling. I feel my points are valid.

OP talk to us about how they are going to “continue” dominance, when said “dominance“ hasn’t even begun :oops:o_O:oops::))
Maybe look at the points I've raised throughout the thread. Will save me repeating myself.

An all English Champions League final and a good chance of an all English European final tomorrow. Likes of the Spanish and Italian teams seemed to have went back the way due to COVID. Got likes of Chelsea who are a decent side but still miles off it in the English league in terms of winning it and they're totally out playing Real Madrid and not only that but look miles fitter as well. Atletico offered absolutely nothing against them too. Don't see anybody breaking the English dominance anytime soon. Outwith Bayern, there's not really any teams capable of beating the top teams in England.
A few billion pounds off. Money has ruined top level football. Even the wealthy European clubs can't keep up with the oil money that now owns the top clubs in England. Who cares about the CL or Europa if it's just going to be a competition between EPL teams.

I know it's been like this for decades now, but it's still unbelievable how far ahead they are of the once mighty Serie A now, for those of us who recall the 1980s and 1990s glamour years when it seemed the ultimate destination for a top footballer, and England barely signed any overseas players.

I honestly think we're closer to the Serie A teams than they are to the EPL right now.

People have different opinions, some people are agreeing with the points I've made, some people aren't. Just because you don't agree with what I've said, doesn't mean I'm trolling. I feel my points are valid.
Of course everyone can have an opinion

The consensus opinion of reasonable adults is that one good season doesn't equate to dominance

Of course everyone can have an opinion

The consensus opinion of reasonable adults is that one good season doesn't equate to dominance
You're getting yourself a bit confused here. I've said right now English football is dominating and currently miles ahead of other European teams with the exception of Bayern and it's my opinion that they'll go on to continue to dominate due to the financial circumstances of the other big leagues. I'm well aware Spanish, German and Italian teams have had a lot of success over the last 10 years.

You're getting yourself a bit confused here. I've said right now English football is dominating and currently miles ahead of other European teams with the exception of Bayern and it's my opinion that they'll go on to continue to dominate due to the financial circumstances of the other big leagues. I'm well aware Spanish, German and Italian teams have had a lot of success over the last 10 years.
I’ll try again.

No sensible person considers a one off season as domination.

Thats fine if you do. But language only works if we have a shared concept of what words mean.

Saying a country is dominating European football. People in general would not consider a 1 year period. Especially in knock out cup football.

Do you consider St Johnstone to be dominating Scottish football? Were Leicester the dominant force in England because they won the trophy 1 year?

I think the only one who is confused is yourself.

But knock yourself out.

I’ll try again.

No sensible person considers a one off season as domination.

Thats fine if you do. But language only works if we have a shared concept of what words mean.

Saying a country is dominating European football. People in general would not consider a 1 year period. Especially in knock out cup football.

Do you consider St Johnstone to be dominating Scottish football? Were Leicester the dominant force in England because they won the trophy 1 year?

I think the only one who is confused is yourself.

But knock yourself out.
Yes I would say having 4 English teams(probably) in the 2 European finals is dominating European football THIS season yes. Based on the performances of the English teams THIS season , the finances behind them and that major European teams are struggling financially and likes of Barcelona, Real Madrid and Juventus have big rebuilding jobs on their hands, the gap has got bigger so I was wondering if English teams will continue to be dominant going forward based on that? I've not said English teams have been dominant for the last 10 years. I'm talking about the here and now. Hopefully that clears it up for you.

It's the coaching, not an Englishman in sight ! You have to go down to 10th in the league to find an English coach.
And when did the England team last win an international tournament,so if you took out all the foreign players,would they get as far,I don't think so. It is a joke,the CL final an none of them won the league.

Things always move in circles.

At the minute English football is extremely good. Overall in the last decade Spanish football has dominated, but both Barca and Real are in transition with their best players all getting on a bit or have already left. Last night Chelsea absolutely steam rollered Madrid who looked miles off the pace.

It can quickly change but it’s hard to deny the English teams are currently best.

Does tonight signal the beginning of the end of England's domination of European football?

A shortlived dominion.

The winds of change they are a blowin' ;)

It's the coaching, not an Englishman in sight ! You have to go down to 10th in the league to find an English coach.
If rangers were winning everything without any scottish players i would not give two fu(ks tbh

Does tonight signal the beginning of the end of England's domination of European football?

A shortlived dominion.

The winds of change they are a blowin' ;)
Hahaha was waiting on it. I'll say if 3 English teams in a final and if Man Utd win Europa, it'll still be a dominant season.

No interest in watching English football now. No very entertaining and jokers on £200k per week complaining that the club bosses forgot their birthday.
Had to laugh at all the anger at that euro super league- Man city, Chelsea etc are just playthings for foreign billionaires as it is. Would love these guys to get bored of them and leave them in the sh1t.

Not at all.

20Sn.gif

Why English football, rugby, etc is so unpopular and everyone likes to see their arrogance biting them on the arse.

One good season and they’re crowing to the rest of the world about how they’re miles ahead of the rest of Europe.

7th ranked team from Spain just beat the 2nd ranked team from England. And if that earlier commentary was correct, that’s 8 times in a row the Spanish team has beat the English in a final.

But just how many million miles is English football ahead of everyone else? o_O ;) B-D B-D

I think the Champions league finalists from England recently has been the managers in England, not so much the teams,, they have Klopp, Guardiola, Tuchel, I really do believe the managers matter most, England the best managers in the world at this time.

20Sn.gif

Why English football, rugby, etc is so unpopular and everyone likes to see their arrogance biting them on the arse.

One good season and they’re crowing to the rest of the world about how they’re miles ahead of the rest of Europe.

7th ranked team from Spain just beat the 2nd ranked team from England. And if that earlier commentary was correct, that’s 8 times in a row the Spanish team has beat the English in a final.

But just how many million miles is English football ahead of everyone else? o_O ;) B-D B-D
Same commentary said Spanish sides have won the last 16 finals they've been in.

I love how much the English annoy folk north of the border.

The only thing worse than the English banging on about themselves, is the Scottish banging on about how much the English bang on about themselves.

Scottish folk are very strange, in my opinion.

Back