How good is Tavernier?

He might be good but he's not as good as Laxalt who is the best player in Scotland, possibly second best after Edouard get's fit. It's just a shame Milan will want £12Million for him, best just enjoy him while we can.

Yes, that is a real, bona fide genuine post over on Kerryfail just now. Mentalists.

I'll be delighted for him when he starts lifting trophies. Deserves to do that a lot . Then hopefully he'll be remembered in the future as a bit of a legend.

In any other era, he'd already be getting labelled a club great but the truth is he needs this league title and possibly a Scottish Cup to go along with it to occupy the same space as previous era's legends. This season he has went up a gear or three. It's easy to forget now some of the rough edges (or downright awful moments) he's had so far in a blue jersey and all credit to the manager for taking him to another level.

Last season I complained a lot about his crossing as I felt it was more hit and hope as opposed to picking a player or area out, the rest of his play I didn't have a problem with as we have the players to handle him being up front and out of position. I found him pretty pointless as not putting consistently good crosses into the box made him pretty ineffective, this year his crossing has been immense - maybe Barisic has been helping him out and passing on some wisdom.

See when he leaves we shall see just how good he has been for Rangers.

We can thank Mark Warburton for that £250,000 , bargain of a lifetime.

His skill and fitness are unbelievable.

I would love to see the distance he covers in games.

He is at the moment in the top of his form.

I cannot wait to see the 55th League Championship trophy above his head.

The guy gets some amount of stick at times but he is probably my favourite Rangers player, a credit to the club.

I honestly believe he's always been popular with the majority of Gers fans, but there's been a noisy minority waiting to pounce on him for the slightest error and then come out with their "never a captain, can't defend" narrative.

They're probably still there, lurking in the shadows.

I honestly believe he's always been popular with the majority of Gers fans, but there's been a noisy minority waiting to pounce on him for the slightest error and then come out with their "never a captain, can't defend" narrative.

We are a fickle bunch at times but some of the nonsense spouted about him is way over the top but that comes with the territory l suppose.

Excellent player. We’ve finally got the midfield we need to allow him to be as effective as he can be. Long may it continue.

He's incredible, he has everything you want from a modern fullback and more.

The team is now in a place where it's full of quality all over the pitch.

Tavernier in the past has had utter dross (and I mean that with as much respect as I can give some of his former team mates). We now have players who are very very intelligent in the football sense.

It isnt a surprise he is playing like this, the team is built in a way to get the best out of certain areas, the way the midfield drop in to his vacant position now gives Tav the licence to be ultra attacking as he knows we are pretty secure.

His crossing is literally top draw.

I thought he had passed his peak last season and although a good player I thought he wouldn’t get any better. How wrong was I, he’s an absolute machine this season.

I have never seen a physically fitter player. Never looks flustered and doesn’t break sweat during a game. Pound for pound one of our best ever signings
Has he ever been injured? I can never remember him missing for more than one game at a time, and even that has been on the rare occasion he’s been rested.

I have been critical of tav at times in the past but there is no denying he is in the form of his life just now and has been sensational recently.
I was one of the tav shouldn't be a captain crew. He absolutely should be our captain

He's like having two players. A good defensive minded right back and an exciting right winger with a wicked cross. That's not to mention his confidence at penalties and leadership qualities.

It's been said on the thread already, but how do you, realistically, replace that?

He’s always had good spells, but he really feels like the driving force of the team this season, precisely what a captain should be.

If he maintains this form throughout the season he’s an absolute shoe in for player of the year.

So he’s that good - the best player in Scotland at present.

I thought there were points yesterday when he was just taking the ball off them as if they were kids when they tried to attack down his wing.

I was one of the tav shouldn't be a captain crew. He absolutely should be our captain
Don't think there's a player in the team that gets anywhere near him for the captains armband, a true professional that is a credit to himself and the club.

Tav is a great player and we're lucky to have him. He leads by example which is what a Captain should do and I've never had a problem with him. He's the first up to there to celebrate a goal with the scorer and it's written all over his face what it means. Yes, he's f*cked up at times. As stated above he had a shocker vs Young Boys away and missed a few penalties last season and boy did he get nailed for it by us, the fans. It went beyond forums, the groans and moans at the matches were enough. He never hid though but his performances dipped as did the whole team eventually.

Ironically, no fans have made him better than ever which maybe tells us all something. In fact, we're far better as a team with no fans. Now, we've a great and loyal support and I'm proud to be a part of it but by god, we're second to none with moaning.

Food for thought when we eventually get back.

As to Tav, there is no-one in the world, apart from my Dad that I will feel happier for if he lifts 55. He deserves it and perhaps, so do we. We can play our part in getting it though and this is the man who will be central to us getting it, along with our support.

Tavernier has consistently been my favourite player at Rangers since he came to the club, only Morelos has ever come close, and I have defended him at his lowest on here many a time throughout our troubled years. He WILL win trophies at Rangers, which is no more than he deserves, and he WILL go down as a Rangers legend by the end of his time with us. An unbelievable professional who has shown us massive loyalty and commitment for years despite horrendous pressure and abuse, he has improved his game every season beyond reasonable expectation and become the type of player who could have challenged for a place in ANY Rangers team in history in my opinion.

Has he ever been injured? I can never remember him missing for more than one game at a time, and even that has been on the rare occasion he’s been rested.

Only time he has ever been out injured was when he badly sprained his wrist in his first season at the club. Edit: He had that Appendix problem last season too, but recovered very quickly

An unbelievably fit player, plays 60+ games every season, never needs a rest and barely ever looks as if hes even tired, never mind injured. The definition of an athlete.

Last edited:
People wanted Hodson and Flanagan playing before him and every single week - win or lose - there would be threads on here with folk slagging him saying he's never a Rangers captain and he's a liability etc.

Embarrassing.
I had dreams of bludgeoning said ridiculous posters with my Louisville Slugger. Especially the " never a captain, get him off penalties" crew.

He is an iron man.

The Gerrard effect, he's got Tav believing in his ability, upshot is he's playing out his skin ATM.

I`m usually an easy going bear; I met up again with a guy (I`d once known back in the 90s)last year.
Knowing I was watching the games through RTV this season, he bombarded me with SHOUTING texts Gerrard this that, I wank dugs; until I had enough and burst. After the 3-0 v St Johnstone he was still screaming abuse an hour after the final whistle. I blocked and deleted him after telling the c*nt he was worse than a mentally challenged, among a few other choice lines.
I pictured him punching the air in delight at some sort of vindication of his abuse after the Livingston away game the following weekend.
He now lurks on here as a new member, last seen saying to another poster`I stand by my comments` or some such.
Tav has always given his utmost for Rangers; and everyone makes mistakes....he is only human.
Except this season, he`s superhuman.
Love our captain; and when he lifts that trophy he will thoroughly deserve to do so.
GIRUY haters.

There will be those who try to down talk Tav by saying he plays in a shity league, but his performances in Europe have been first class, our best right back since Gary Stevens.

The daft tit who reviews curries on twitter and his wee gang of groupies who hang off his every word for example.

Tav being hounded off pens probably cost us a trophy last season.

I'll admit my biggest concern was his leadership skills. I felt his head went down too early when we lost a goal. However I believe he is a massively improved player and sets the right example to his teammates.

Hes up there with the best value for money signings we have made.

I have never seen a player start so many attacks from deep inside his own half ... Tav is a wonderful footballer there is no doubt about it i just hope we can keep him as there must be some epl clubs watching.

The wouldnae get near the England squad makes me laugh and i dont have anything against England and like to see them doing well.

Doesn’t matter how good a player he is if we don’t have 55 come the end of this season and that’s not taking anything away from how good a servant he’s been, if he lifts 55 this season he’ll be rightly so in the hall of fame after the rollercoaster he’s been through to triumph.
Really ? That’s all you can muster on a thread regards his form of late.
Take a day off mate.

I have been very 'vocal' in backing Tavernier, even during times when he was not at his best.
He bore the brunt of bad team performances which led to a dip in confidence and some mistakes.

The nonsense posted about him on here was embarrassing.

Now you can see what has always been there, a leader, a winner and the best wing back since Gary Stevens.

Really ? That’s all you can muster on a thread regards his form of late.
Take a day off mate.

If trophies were handed out in November he’d win the POTY from everywhere he can pick it up in Scotland.

We as Rangers support should know not to get ahead of ourselves mate. I never intended it to sound negative to be honest, just trying to stay grounded the trauma and false dawns we have had over the years I won’t be celebrating or thinking otherwise or celebrating players being in the form of their life, enjoying every minute of it but we must keep it going!

If trophies were handed out in November he’d win the POTY from everywhere he can pick it up in Scotland.

We as Rangers support should know not to get ahead of ourselves mate. I never intended it to sound negative to be honest, just trying to stay grounded the trauma and false dawns we have had over the years I won’t be celebrating or thinking otherwise or celebrating players being in the form of their life, enjoying every minute of it but we must keep it going!
Ok buddy I get where your coming from - however thread was about Tav Being good, I get your not getting ahead of ourselves, me ? I’m convinced we’ll win the league at a canter, we are way better than that lot , and they know that too.
just enjoy what’s going to unfold.

Tav has been superb for us, the ultimate pro. Been through some really tough times in our journey back to where we belong and now he's showing the class act he really is.

Captain Tav. Yes he really is.

Nothing will make me more happy than to see Tav lifting the trophy for 55 and maybe another this season. He deserves it, good work reaps rewards.

Back