How much has your life changed since the 2008 final?

Massively.

My Ma and Da now sadly in care, and was in tears thinking about my Da, who won't have a scooby about the Bears journey in Europe this season.

I've had cancer 4 times but still here to hopefully witness the greatest day in my life.

We are the People.
Your a fighter brother.

Finished primary school, finished high school, graduated Uni with a second class honours and have broken my nose several times + 3 ankle ops!

Since had a wee brother, die hard blue nose who is gutted he’s being left behind for Seville.

New wife No 3, got a dug, and a lovely grandson who is clearly being brainwashed ( sorry educated) was banned from Ibrox for 3 years. Worst experience was Manchester after the high of Florence. Been to away games in Europe despite ban but going to Seville minus ticket.
Oh I almost forgot that caaaant Sturgeon got in charge

Last edited:
Same job, same house, same wife, same kids (albeit now both adults - they were 5 and 8 in 2008). Now have two dogs rather than 2 cats, and have an allotment.

Lost my mum, dad and father-in-law, all of whom would have been with me watching on Weds

Finished secondary school, finished uni, had a kid, bought a house, got engaged, hit the 30s, finished uni again.

Unfortunately lost my mother who would have been watching our European run with as much excitement and enthusiasm as the rest of us bluenoses.

Different job, same Mrs, daughter added to the family (12 now) my then 6 year old son turns 20 the day before the final.

Hard to believe I was 35 last time round.

In 2008 I was a single man, but only a week or so prior to Manchester I had met my future wife, and my life slowly started to turn from shite to brilliant.

My life was dead end, I was washed up and finished at the ripe old age of 26. I had two daughters who were very young with my ex, who made my life a total misery. I was working for Rangers at the time, and doing freelance work with other folk at the same time and nothing seemed to be permanent, other than Rangers for me. Financially I was almost potless at the time, living in a Shitey flat on my own, fighting to try and see my girls and even have visits. Life was just shite.

Manchester was one of the best days of my life at that time, I spent it with my best pal, and we had the time of our life. I felt that from that day onwards, my life got better and went on an upward trajectory.

I began a relationship soon after Manchester with a gorgeous lady who flipped my life upside down, and she loved the Rangers as well so all was good. I removed people from my life who were negative, who I didn’t need and I feel better for it.

We began a love affair that lasts to this day, our mixed family of two boys and two girls and our home we’ve built over the years is testament to how good life has been, and I always attribute 2008, and Manchester especially, to the positive changes in life.
I took stock of life after Manchester, and made a decision to make my own luck in life, rather than just hoping and waiting for something good to happen. I’m glad I did. I married this amazing woman 7 years ago, and this is it for me.

Loving reading these. Cheers everyone.

I was 11, dad (justifiably) fucked me off to go with his mates, so watched the game with my grandfather who I lost at the start of the pandemic and still miss dearly. I’ll think of him when I’m in the stand on Wednesday, and I hope to feel him next to me. Blessed beyond words to have my dad with me in Seville.

Fucked about in school, only cared about having a laugh. Suppose I still do, perhaps a tad too much. Don’t feel like I’m finished growing up yet, or that I’ve “cracked” being an adult.. but I don’t know if anyone ever does?

Managed to open up about my mental health eventually, now enjoy far more good days than bad. Should also be getting a law degree next year, looking forward to knowing I’ve made my parents proud.

Ultimately I do feel that the last decade would have been a hell of a lot smoother if the mental birds weren’t the best rides.
If only your last words were not so true, a statement that undoubtedly rings true with all of those who have experienced it. There is sadly the downside - they are mental, but you get hooked.

Was on a very self destructive path around that time and ended up suicidally depressed (living in Stockport will do that to you) but since then I've moved down under, got married and had a child. So maybe there's something to be said for suicide after all. (Joking, no offence meant.)
Never thought I'd see us make one European final, especially when it was held so close to me at the time. To see us in a second so quickly and so soon after our financial troubles and all that brought about is nothing short of remarkable. Even more remarkable is we genuinely have a really good chance of winning. Never thought we'd beat Zenit, aside from the fact it's a one off game and anything can happen. Really think we can do it.

Split from the mother of my kids, tried and rejected a considerable bevy of candidates and decided I preferred being on my own. My sons have grown up and gone to uni, they are my world. Live in a penthouse duplex sans women, never been happier (90” tv sky and BT) They definitely are all bitches bar wur maws, except my maw was/is a bitch also!

Started a company which may well be a paradigm shift in the way airline tickets are sold, writing my first novel and currently happily inebriate…In my current world Gio is god and this team are his disciples, winning this dominates my every waking hour. Walter was amazing, but Gio isn’t there to make up the numbers, he thinks we’ll win it and that’s good enough for me!

Was 24 at the last final. Since then I've met my Mrs, got married, moved house 3 times, passed my driving test, took redundancy and had 5 different jobs thereafter. Fuçk all really in the grand scheme of things, still feel like the same daft lad that slept in a motor for 2 nights in 2008 :)

Loving reading these. Cheers everyone.

I was 11, dad (justifiably) fucked me off to go with his mates, so watched the game with my grandfather who I lost at the start of the pandemic and still miss dearly. I’ll think of him when I’m in the stand on Wednesday, and I hope to feel him next to me. Blessed beyond words to have my dad with me in Seville.

Fucked about in school, only cared about having a laugh. Suppose I still do, perhaps a tad too much. Don’t feel like I’m finished growing up yet, or that I’ve “cracked” being an adult.. but I don’t know if anyone ever does?

Managed to open up about my mental health eventually, now enjoy far more good days than bad. Should also be getting a law degree next year, looking forward to knowing I’ve made my parents proud.

Ultimately I do feel that the last decade would have been a hell of a lot smoother if the mental birds weren’t the best rides.
As they say around these parts:
Aroha nui. Kia kaha.
Much love. Stay strong.

Was at Haggerston caravan park..... kids 4 and 2 and watched it on a black and white portable TV. Now got a full day planned with them and a pub crawl ending in the GOGlasgow (would've been Seville if the passport situation had resolved itself!!!)

Was 18 in Manchester. Was going out with my now wife and we have 2 daughters. Wednesday will be a different type of occasion but I am absolutely buzzing for it.

Was 16 at the time and sitting my highers. Living at home in Arden.

Now 30, have a master's degree in a field I don't work in and have lost both my parents - dad to heart attack, mum to cancer.

Been quite a journey.

Wife was 4 months pregnant when I deserted her and headed to Manchester.

Had been in my house just under a year

I was at uni and training into a new role

Now have a 13 year old

Moved house and been here 5 years

Had a couple of promotions in work

Really can't believe how much life has changed without really noticing it

I was 24 when we went to Manchester and was living a single life. Had a decent paying job and followed us everywhere. Home and away domestically and abroad and would go to the Narsa conventions at the end of each season. Living in a single guy life and was loving it.

Fast forward 14 years and I have a daughter and live and work in Texas. Would never had imagined back then I’d be out here doing what I do and giving this wee lassie a really good quality of life.

Nice thread to read through.

I was 17 back in 2008 living in Nairn where I was born and bread. Went to uni in Glasgow for 4 years, became a teacher then moved to the US. Married now and have a 5 year old daughter.

Unfortunately lost a few good bears during that time too. Very fortunate and grateful to have witnessed two European cup runs, let’s make this one a special one Rangers!

Was just a pup at 17. Have since:

- started driving
- bought a house
- had 1st kid
- graduated uni
- started career
- had second kid
- got married
- passed professional exams
- had two more kids
- became celibate after realising what was causing me to have so many kids.

From a young care free kid to a guy in his 30s stressed out his box all the time :))

I need this one Rangers!

Graduated.
Learned to Drive.
Still working in that profession (engineering).
Moved from Glasgow to the NE.
Have 1 daughter.
Married.
Moved back to Glasgow .
Worked down Hertfordshire for approx 3.5 years.
Moved job and relocated back to the NE again.
Own another 2 Business now as well.

I went to Manchester with my brother in law, but now have sadly lost touch with him after he split with my loony sister. We were good mates but he’s moved away and probably doesn’t want any reminders of his old life. He’s married again and happy so as much as I’d like to catch up with him again on Wednesday, it won’t happen.

Try and reach out.

He is maybe thinking “he won’t want to be pals with someone who left his sister”

My cousin was in Halliday’s class at Renfrew and said Andy patched his English exam to go to the game, not sure how accurate :))

I was 23, just back from backpacking with no idea what to do with my life. Now in a decent job, very stable long term relationship and still got all my hair.

Changed job, turned 40, carried a magic ring through enemy territory to throw it in river of lava, emigrated, lost my Dad.

Back