How much has your life changed since the 2008 final?

I had a tame night the night of the final, had my Higher English exam the following day. Since then I've been to two universities, learned to drive, got a job, moved out of my parents house. Basically anything else you can think about in the transition from being a teenager to an adult l.

I lived where my forum name suggested. Since then I've lived in Fife and two houses in West Lothian. I've had three jobs and changed my car eleven times! On a personal level had two relationships one of over three years and I've been with my partner over nine years and we have a baby. My cats passed away; one with cancer and the other due to heart disease. I've also lost my old boy who I'll be thinking about a lot on Wednesday night.

Massively.

My Ma and Da now sadly in care, and was in tears thinking about my Da, who won't have a scooby about the Bears journey in Europe this season.

I've had cancer 4 times but still here to hopefully witness the greatest day in my life.

We are the People.

Win on weds will be tremendous mate the best of times

WATP

14 years since our last European final. In that time I’ve married, had two kids, changed job twice, done a fair bit of travelling, moved house, and turned 40. Feel like a different person from the relative youngster who watched the Zenit game. Can’t wait to watch this one with my daughters - who were only a twinkle in my eye in 2008! How has your life changed since then?

My Son and I managed to get tickets for Manchester.
Nearly 70 now.
When following/watching Rangers usually still feel about 21.
Kids well grown up and married with their own families.
Grandpa of three.
Mortgage gone and so far still in good health. There's a tempting of fate.

Had a 10 month old son who is now as tall as me in 2008!!! and 14 year later I have a daughter as well.i lost my dad in 2012 which made it and even more shitty year than it already was what we were going trough as a support

Last edited:
Moved house, one more wean, 4th or 5th different company but same job. Different seat at Ibrox as well.

Had both parents then, Sadly don’t now.
Same here :-(

Circle of life though - my daughter, who was with my son and I in Manchester, has two boys of her own, my son gets married next year.

Left my job and started my own business which is going really well. Debt free apart from the mortgage which we plan to pay off next year if all goes well.

Got a season ticket again now the kids have to pay their own bills B-).

2008, single, 24, not a care in the world.

2022, same as the OP but a couple of years younger.

Son is too young to stay up for this but looking forward to watching it with my daughter.

For Manchester I handed a note in to school and got picked up at lunchtime on the Tuesday with travel/accommodation/tickets sorted for me.
For Seville I've had to apply for annual leave well in advance and sort all the logistics for 5 of us.

Lost three grandparents
One which would’ve been with me for games.
Met many new friends from Rangers related stuff
Managed to help my pay for a month in Australia which she always wanted to do to see her cousins over there

Turned 40
Split with partner
Met new one (she moved in 3 years to the day from Manchester)
Gained a cat
Took voluntary redundancy (petfood factory, cat was gutted, not literally)
Moved back to Highlands
Got better job (work, money and product-whisky)
Acquired a 2nd cat
Got married
Turned 50
Lost my dad exactly 12 years to the day of Manchester
About to be a step grandad in July.

Moved to the US in December 2008.
Moved back to Scotland 2013 to divorce wife
Moved back to US in 2015 to be with fiancée
Moved back to Scotland 2018 for family reasons
Got season ticket again in 2021
Still with US fiancée but living apart for now

I was 17 and not long left school, now 31 married with 2 kids, bought a house, learnt to drive.

Don’t think I’ve really grown up in that time though, if anything I sometimes think I’m dafter now!

Married, 3 boys, started and sold a business, bought a new house and now growing older with my boys accelerating that life cycle at an alarming rate! I just want to sleep! :))

Was 16 at the time. In that time lived a little, joined the army doing something I love, got a fiancé now and a pad house and 2 dogs so can’t complain

I went to Manchester with my brother in law, but now have sadly lost touch with him after he split with my loony sister. We were good mates but he’s moved away and probably doesn’t want any reminders of his old life. He’s married again and happy so as much as I’d like to catch up with him again on Wednesday, it won’t happen.

Reactions: VGM
Fantastic seeing everyone’s memories, like many I’ve done the marriage, house and kids, incredible to reflect back on how much life’s changed since then.

I remember sitting on that Friday night before Brechin what was coming next to be where we are right now is nothing short of remarkable.

Massively.

My Ma and Da now sadly in care, and was in tears thinking about my Da, who won't have a scooby about the Bears journey in Europe this season.

I've had cancer 4 times but still here to hopefully witness the greatest day in my life.

We are the People.
Never give in mate, where ever you watch the game on Wednesday I hope you’re in tears of joy this time.

Was 22 at time of Manchester final…
37 this year
Have my 2nd daughter now who has season ticket with me, oldest never bothered as much as a tried was 4 at time of final in 2008.
Married
Mortgage
Same place of work but different role
Lost 3 grandparents
Old man lives abroad now
Gained a dog that we love to bits (Walter)
Definitely mellowed with age. Coming up through the leagues definitely makes you appreciate the good times and no take them for granted! The joy a have sharing games and memories of our great club with the youngest compared to being half cut at most games back then! Priceless.

Graduated uni, started a career, retrained and changed career, married, mortgage and travelled the world.

Also my back is done, so is my knee, my ankles and my gut isn't going away like it used to. Also hangovers now last a week.

I was 50 where went to Manchester

In the 14 years since - I’ve retired 4 years ago became a grandfather to a gorgeous wee girl 3 years ago and became less tolerant of of arse holes - and more importantly haven’t missed a game that I had a ticket for since I retired

Stuck in a call centre job going nowhere.

Staying in a pokey wee one bedder.

Had just split up with the missus and was wasting away.

Since then moved roles 4 times, got married, moved abroad, had 2 kids, started 2 businesses.

Pretty crazy actually.

Loving reading these. Cheers everyone.

I was 11, dad (justifiably) fucked me off to go with his mates, so watched the game with my grandfather who I lost at the start of the pandemic and still miss dearly. I’ll think of him when I’m in the stand on Wednesday, and I hope to feel him next to me. Blessed beyond words to have my dad with me in Seville.

Fucked about in school, only cared about having a laugh. Suppose I still do, perhaps a tad too much. Don’t feel like I’m finished growing up yet, or that I’ve “cracked” being an adult.. but I don’t know if anyone ever does?

Managed to open up about my mental health eventually, now enjoy far more good days than bad. Should also be getting a law degree next year, looking forward to knowing I’ve made my parents proud.

Ultimately I do feel that the last decade would have been a hell of a lot smoother if the mental birds weren’t the best rides.

14 years since our last European final. In that time I’ve married, had two kids, changed job twice, done a fair bit of travelling, moved house, and turned 40. Feel like a different person from the relative youngster who watched the Zenit game. Can’t wait to watch this one with my daughters - who were only a twinkle in my eye in 2008! How has your life changed since then?

Different job, big fucking house, drive a Volvo now, got a wee best friend dog and sitting next to me in Seville will be my boy.

I’m still a handsome magnificent bastard though.

Had 4 different girlfriends (no pics), now own a house with the 4th.

Moved through 3 different roles in one company, finally moved on from there and got promoted.

My best friend died, lost two cousins also.

Had life changing genetic results.

Aye a lot has went on, one thing that hasn’t changed is my love and support for Rangers.

We are living the same life, all the same except not 40 until ‘24. I also have 2 daughters, age 4 & 6. Have had them at Ibrox and they love the Famous!!

Was 10, going into Primary 7.

Now 24, been and finished high school, a gap year of working, HNC and HND at college, masters degree at uni, started my career, moved away from home up to Aberdeen, been to innumerable amount of Rangers games home and away, had many ups and downs in my personal life, and thankfully have not lost any family in that time

And much much more. I think Its fair to say I am a completely different person than I was 14 years ago.

It’s been a bit of a journey since 2008…

3 kids
Widowed
Moved jobs a couple of times and back where I was in 2008
In a relationship and 3 kids became 5
We started the Royal Loyal
I’ve made some amazing friends through kids schools, the RSC and supporting Rangers in general
Said goodbye to a few too many friends for comfort
Love that the boys I started going to see Rangers with are still the first folk I call when Rangers lift a trophy.

Then there’s the emotional roller-coaster of Rangers FC 2012-2022 to consider.
I’m an emotional basketcase already, and there’s 3 days to go until the game!

Never got to Manchester as my eldest was just about to appear… she’s 14 tomorrow.
Will be sitting at home with my Rangers-daft 11 & 8 yr olds, I’ve loved watching Rangers on this run with them and hoping that we get the perfect ending to the season.

Back