I’ve said many times on here I think Goldsons is the best CH in the country by a mile. Why did he not just stick the equaliser out for a corner?

Anyone who has ever played the game knows you don’t leave a cross like that if you can clear it before it gets into the danger area. No way he’d have left it for a shout. To me he was just too slow to react to it.

He's been an absolute rock for the 4 years he's been here, we'd be nowhere near a euro final without him.
Can't be letting a free Cross into the box from a throw in.

Yes it was a dangerous cross, and yes there’s a slight chance any clearance would have went in, but we have seen the exact same thing happen before.

A ball comes across that Goldson fails to deal with and then looks at the CB that’s the wrong side of the defender.

Goldson is a very good defender, but he needs to clear that to %^*& before worrying about any shouts

Should have been a better effort at stopping the cross but if Goldson is half a yard to his right (where he should be) then he clears it easily

Just before the cross comes in.

FTEvFoSWQAI4qpZ
Looks like Bassey's positioning is wrong rather than Goldson's here.

He actually seemed surprised when he realised a Frankfurt player was behind him, wasn't aware of his surroundings at all

He was screaming at Bassey after it so my theory is that there was maybe no communication there was a man on.

Split second decision. He made the wrong choice. Nothing to be gained from over-analyzing it
Exactly the reason to overanalyze it, it led directly to a goal. At what point do you analyse something?

The goldson mistake per game is a running theme on here.

Eff all to do with bassey Goldson was shite the whole game I hope he does better in his new club. next season.
Goodson overall has been an excellent player for us - we will do well to get a replacement that matches him, however IMO unfortunately he had a really poor game tonight - he was culpable at the goal, he was fortunate to escape a penalty, and his long balls tonight were getting launched out the park.

One game left & the Goldson era is done - I hope the club have his replacement lined up.

Yes it was a dangerous cross, and yes there’s a slight chance any clearance would have went in, but we have seen the exact same thing happen before.

A ball comes across that Goldson fails to deal with and then looks at the CB that’s the wrong side of the defender.

Goldson is a very good defender, but he needs to clear that to %^*& before worrying about any shouts
Exactly! This has happened a few times before, its a weak point in Goldsons game.

Goldson had his worst game for us in a while, constantly over hitting his long diagonal passes, just wasn’t like him at all.

He may have got a shout from Bassey to leave it.
Not Bassey’s call though - that’s one you swing your leg at and knock it away for a corner. If you are the first man then unless your goalkeeper tells you otherwise, you take control.

My immediate frustration & anger has gone a bit… it’s a real shame that we lost a goal in those circumstances - we looked in reasonable shape outside of that.

He should have been 1st to the ball. No if"s or buts about it.
But the cross should have been easily blocked in the first place. It's was an easy block.

He was chronic tonight. Passing was abysmal and he was horrendous for their goal. Let’s hope he doesn’t sign off with another mistake filled performance on Saturday before he disappears off to West Brom or wherever he’s going.

He has served us well and is a decent CH, but he has always been prone to making a gaff every once in a while. You know it’s coming, just not when.

In the SPL he’s a top defender, but on the European stage I fear he is average.

His body shape was all wrong, can only imagine he was worried if he got a touch it would have gone in the net.
Swing his leg at it and it is going nowhere near the goal. I think he was caught on the hop because he was too far forward when the cross came in but that was a ball to be cleared.

He's always got a mistake or misjudgement in him. Gets away with it most of the time, tonight it's cost us a European trophy.

He can go to West Brom or wherever he thinks is better than us.

The issue is, given where the player is, and the pressure he is being placed under, there is nowhere where that cross can go other than low to the near post. Truthfully it was chronic defending by a player who has been very very good for us.

ffs, what make you think he froze?

It was just a split second decision he got wrong. He'll probably have nightmares over it for quite some time.
I say he froze because he didn't do anything, he was just watching the ball go past him, I have no doubt he'll have regrets.

He wasn’t central in the goalmouth and he wasn’t right under the crossbar.
He could see our goal and had a pretty easy path available to him to put the ball out for a corner.

It has always seemed that when we have to defend the goalmouth there has always been confusion and maybe that’s down to a lack of communication between defenders and goalkeeper. I don’t know.

We’ve seen it happen all season and no surprise it has cost us dear again.

Just before the cross comes in.

FTEvFoSWQAI4qpZ
For me, this clearly shows he stayed too flat to Tav. Had he made a step or two forward he would have been better positioned to cut out the cross. He was marking nobody and neither was Tav. One of them needs to break the line and IMHO it's Connor who should have closed it off.

But then it's so easy to say in hindsight and looking at a still photo.

He wasn’t central in the goalmouth and he wasn’t right under the crossbar.
He could see our goal and had a pretty easy path available to him to put the ball out for a corner.

It has always seemed that when we have to defend the goalmouth there has always been confusion and maybe that’s down to a lack of communication between defenders and goalkeeper. I don’t know.

We’ve seen it happen all season and no surprise it has cost us dear again.
The excuses being made for him are fucking laughable. He's on 30 grand a week and can't or won't block a ball that went 6 inches past his left foot. It would have been laughable in the juniors.

Back