I’ve Stopped My Club 1872 Contributions In Light Of The Proposed King Shares Puchase

Assuming the opportunity existed for C1872 to buy new shares and they attempted to raise £13m to do so, that wouldn’t solve the issue with DK’s shares.

He clearly wants to sell them and if a fans group buys them that clearly prevents them falling into the wrong hands at some point in the future.

They are clearly reservations amongst our fans about C1872 and how it is run. If they are serious about raising £13m, they will need to become a slicker organisation and present themselves in a more professional manner

After much deliberation, I’ve decided to no longer contribute to Club 1872.

I don’t think that it’s too much of a stretch to say that recent announcements are a bit of a kick in the teeth to our current wealthy investors, who are all loyal supporters like you and I.

If I’d invested the sums of money these shareholders had, I’d be concerned that a fans’ group could soon have a majority say in the club I’ve heavily invested in.

For me, the not inconsiderable sum of £13 million would do a lot more good going to the club than any individual.
And I say that as a big Dave King fan.

That the Club 1872 fans’ group seems to be extremely poorly run would only add to my concerns.

As someone who has contributed each month to Club 1872 for a long time, the King news just doesn’t sit right with me.

Club 1872 members were polled recently to ascertain interest in a much smaller shares purchase, yet there is no such similar poll for a potentially much larger purchase.
How can this be?

Our club desperately needs money – and, as a Club 1872 member, I’d far rather our money went towards new shares, so the £13 million that has been suggested goes to the club.

And I’m quite sure the current board would be very receptive to such a move.

King has every right to sell his shares – and I’ll be eternally grateful for all his efforts – but I think this is a terrible move.

I trust King enough to be able to sell his shares to other investors who would have RFC’s best interests at heart.

Apologies if this seems overly dramatic, but I can no longer support Club 1872 on this new path they’ve chosen without even consulting members.

Any money I’ll be spending from now on will exclusively be going direct to the club.

I appreciate some may think this is a ‘look at me’ post – it’s not... and I also appreciate that some may question the need for a new thread – but I think that people deciding to walk away from Club 1872 in light of recent events is reason enough for a thread in its own right.

Anyone else feel similar?
I agree with what you’re saying the only bit I don’t understand is when you say King could sell to other people with rangers best interests. Could these like minded people not buy shares directly from the club also and then the money would be going straight to the club that way.

It really is as simple as that. A short Q&A at the AGM.

Fortunately the AGM is right around the corner and the current board can clear up any confusion and send a message to what their aspiration are for any investment from c1872, without the need for this cloud to linger around the club and fan base. Let’s face it - it’s doing nothing to help the team.

Hopefully the AGM session will pass without cryptic messages like we love to post but hate to read on a fans forum :))
Anyone who thinks the board will give a definitive 'Do it' or 'Don't do it' answer at an AGM regarding this deal is absolutely deluded :D Beyond deluded in fact :D

The very most it will get by way of answer is along the lines of;

'We welcome the opportunity to work with any interested party and would be open to seeing what they have in mind. Other than that, we cannot comment to a private sale between a shareholder and anyone else'

Anyone who thinks the board will give a definitive 'Do it' or 'Don't do it' answer at an AGM regarding this deal is absolutely deluded :D Beyond deluded in fact :D

The very most it will get by way of answer is along the lines of;

'We welcome the opportunity to work with any interested party and would be open to seeing what they have in mind. Other than that, we cannot comment to a private sale between a shareholder and anyone else'

I’m not expecting a do it or don’t do it answer.

There should be an answer that somewhat defines their stance though.

Like when we had the SD thing hanging over our merchandise contracts before it was eventually renewed.
“The board are please to have in place a deal that benefits all parties concerned” (or words to those effect)

Anything more cryptic that they then they are as bad as everyone (on both sides of the divide) on here.

Last edited:
I’m not expecting a door don’t do it answer.

There should be an answer that clearly defines their stance.

Like when we had the SD thing hanging over our merchandise contracts before it was eventually renewed.
“The board are please to have in place a deal that benefits all parties concerned” (or words to those effect)

Anything more cryptic that they then they are as bad as everyone (on both sides of the divide) on here.

If you think that the board of Rangers will give a definitive answer on whether David King should sell his shares to C1872 and whether Rangers fans should buy into that, which is what they would be doing by saying they liked the idea or not, you are utterly deluded mate, sorry. there is literally zero chance that a board will give what amounts to financial advice to shareholders and customers at an AGM.

The SD thing was a completely different thing, they were literally announcing a deal that benefited the company directly in terms of ability to trade in a certain way and with certain parties. It was not a direct comment on the private transfer of shares between 2 shareholders at a level that makes a genuine difference to the workings of the club under company law.

The will say, and you can absolutely bookmark this and quote me, something along the lines of what I posted already;

If you think that the board of Rangers will give a definitive answer on whether David King should sell his shares to C1872 and whether Rangers fans should buy into that, which is what they would be doing by saying they liked the idea or not, you are utterly deluded mate, sorry. there is literally zero chance that a board will give what amounts to financial advice to shareholders and customers at an AGM.

The SD thing was a completely different thing, they were literally announcing a deal that benefited the company directly in terms of ability to trade in a certain way and with certain parties. It was not a direct comment on the private transfer of shares between 2 shareholders at a level that makes a genuine difference to the workings of the club under company law.

The will say, and you can absolutely bookmark this and quote me, something along the lines of what I posted already;

Whilst I expect it to be relatively vague... if it’s as vague as that then it would be disappointing.

They don’t need to mention any one in particular (king or c1872).

Along the lines of.....
“we welcome any investment directly into the club. But we are not prepared nor willing to comment on a sale between private parties”

Similar answer getting pushed out but a clear message all the same.

The board have an opportunity here to clear the waters. They need to take it. Otherwise they’ll be as culpable as king/c1872 for the drama and hysteria that subsequently plays out.

Whilst I expect it to be relatively vague... if it’s as vague as that then it would be disappointing.

They don’t need to mention any one in particular (king or c1872).

Along the lines of.....
“we welcome any investment directly into the club. But we are not prepared nor willing to comment on a sale between private parties”

Similar answer getting pushed out but a clear message all the same.

The board have an opportunity here to clear the waters. They need to take it. Otherwise they’ll be as culpable as king/c1872 for the drama and hysteria that subsequently plays out.
That as a reply would answer absolutely zero questions about things and would simply add another few buckets of muck to already murky waters. People would be free to interpret it as they saw fit and to read as much or as little into as they wanted.

The AGM, specifically regarding this scheme, is going to be absolutely worthless in terms of telling us how the current board view things.

Club1972 are a joke. They dont even keep people paying money into them every month up to date. Joke outfit.

That as a reply would answer absolutely zero questions about things and would simply add another few buckets of muck to already murky waters. People would be free to interpret it as they saw fit and to read as much or as little into as they wanted.

The AGM, specifically regarding this scheme, is going to be absolutely worthless in terms of telling us how the current board view things.

We’ll agree to disagree. On that answer then.

It would certainly be far better than saying nothing at all imo.

But as you say, if the AGM is not the platform for the board to tell us how they view specifically this current issue....... what is?

We’ll agree to disagree. On that answer then.

It would certainly be far better than saying nothing at all imo.

But as you say, if the AGM is not the platform for the board to tell us how they view specifically this current issue....... what is?

The selling of DK shares is too significant for the Board to ignore at an AGM. As shareholders we deserve to know their thoughts.

Although our investors are blue noses they are also hard headed business men capable of making dispassionate decisions for the club and looking at the big picture, I fear that supporters, not so much.

After much deliberation, I’ve decided to no longer contribute to Club 1872.

I don’t think that it’s too much of a stretch to say that recent announcements are a bit of a kick in the teeth to our current wealthy investors, who are all loyal supporters like you and I.

If I’d invested the sums of money these shareholders had, I’d be concerned that a fans’ group could soon have a majority say in the club I’ve heavily invested in.

For me, the not inconsiderable sum of £13 million would do a lot more good going to the club than any individual.
And I say that as a big Dave King fan.

That the Club 1872 fans’ group seems to be extremely poorly run would only add to my concerns.

As someone who has contributed each month to Club 1872 for a long time, the King news just doesn’t sit right with me.

Club 1872 members were polled recently to ascertain interest in a much smaller shares purchase, yet there is no such similar poll for a potentially much larger purchase.
How can this be?

Our club desperately needs money – and, as a Club 1872 member, I’d far rather our money went towards new shares, so the £13 million that has been suggested goes to the club.

And I’m quite sure the current board would be very receptive to such a move.

King has every right to sell his shares – and I’ll be eternally grateful for all his efforts – but I think this is a terrible move.

I trust King enough to be able to sell his shares to other investors who would have RFC’s best interests at heart.

Apologies if this seems overly dramatic, but I can no longer support Club 1872 on this new path they’ve chosen without even consulting members.

Any money I’ll be spending from now on will exclusively be going direct to the club.

I appreciate some may think this is a ‘look at me’ post – it’s not... and I also appreciate that some may question the need for a new thread – but I think that people deciding to walk away from Club 1872 in light of recent events is reason enough for a thread in its own right.

Anyone else feel similar?

Good post Sherbrook. Personally I can't decide whether this is good news or not. Pathetic I know but I am being honest.

I don't agree with your latter statement. It seems pretty clear to me that Club 1872 funds are designed to increase their (and therefore supporters) shareholding in Rangers. That's the primary aim of the organisation and always has been. So if King has offered to sell his shares to them it's entirely understandable that they would want to find a way to take advantage of that.
On reflection you are probably correct. If I’m honest I just don’t buy into the idea of fan ownership in any shape or form

I’m still trying to let the news sink in and mull over the conditions attached to being a legacy member. However, I am considering taking one up. Personally I’d rather just buy shares myself but it seems DK is determined to sell up and his shares have to go somewhere. We don’t know if he offered his shares to the 3 Bears first (or do we) which would be the move I’d have made if I were him. It seems his family have no interest in the club and he sees his retirement in SA, and this move is his one way of making sure his shares go into the hands of Rangers fans rather than be sold on the open market, possibly to a figure like Ashley. I get your trepidation about club1872. There appear to be serious issues with the hierarchy there, but hopefully this can be the catalyst to pull things together. We live in hope.

On reflection you are probably correct. If I’m honest I just don’t buy into the idea of fan ownership in any shape or form

Which is a perfectly reasonable position to take. Whether to invest in this initiative or not, or to support fan ownership or not, is very much a personal decision and people should respect whatever decision anyone takes. Those who do support the principle of fan ownership are not better Rangers fans than those who don't. We're all Rangers fans with different opinions, that's all.

I read the news and it has affected my life very little. Some of the over the top reactions from some is mad. Someone actually claimed it could affect our season :D I mean come on.

Could the club not create a different class of voting shares that would ensure a fan group has veto rights on any major decisions the club takes? That way the fans gain the control and oversight on big decisions In perpetuity but the club could also get the new money in. Would also reduce the risk of king offloading his shares to someone dubious.

I’m not an accountant so don’t even know if this is possible but was just an idea.

I think my decision outlined in my OP has now been justified, sadly.

My conscience is clear and I will remain a former Club 1872 contributor.
You and I both. The lack of engagement, proper strategy etc. Since the press release is farcical in itself. Imagine any business trying to raise circa £20M to maintain the necessary holding and taking the same approach? Laughable.

Tbh I was critical in this thread of some of the views

I can see why they’d want to purchase Kings shares but after today’s news, I have to question why they refused several chances to buy more from the club.

You and I both. The lack of engagement, proper strategy etc. Since the press release is farcical in itself. Imagine any business trying to raise circa £20M to maintain the necessary holding and taking the same approach? Laughable.
And I’d follow that up by saying that today’s corporate governance again of Club 1872 is called into question when it was made clear that the group had been offered the chance to purchase shares last year and opted not to. Why in a members organisation was that not put to a vote? Either Douglas Park is lying, or Club 1872 have lied. Its one or the other and I know who my money is on. But trust us with up to £20M...

Club 1872 – or, more pertinently, those who seem to run the group for their own purposes – need to come out and tell their members:

1) Why they’ve repeatedly declined to buy shares from the club.

and

2) Why they’ve instead done a deal with King behind members’ backs.

It certainly does not look good for the likes of Chris Graham and co.

To deprive the club of money in favour of an individual – no matter how pivotal he was in helping to save us – absolutely stinks.

Club 1872 – or, more pertinently, those who seem to run the group for their own purposes – need to come out and tell their members:

and

To deprive the club of money in favour of an individual – no matter how pivotal he was in helping to save us – absolutely stinks.
Chris Graham has pulled the wool over the eyes of a few on here.

and

Is Chris Graham working for C1872?

If so, he hasn’t been elected so who made the decision to hire him?

How much is he being paid by C1872?

There were rumours of him being a consultant to Dave King a while back.

Have to question whether C1872 are perhaps just too close to Dave King hence why there’s been many accusations previously that they weren’t independent of the club board

I’ve just managed to sign up to the additional funding amount required on top of my normal subscription.

you trust King to sell to other investors? How’s that worked out in the past? Who do you think has £13m to spend on dead money?

other Than those involved now how many of our super wealthy fans have stood up, I’ll tell you a secret. None, fuckall.

its time we all took responsibility. Hearts a fraction of our support have ragdolled us supporting their ownership ambitions. It’s because of this type of narrative.

Some people have forgot about the past and seem to think it will never happen again. Cant see 1872 getting the amount required when you see posts like op and from an admin. Sad that people cant put their egos aside for the good of the club(Not directed at op).

Some people have forgot about the past and seem to think it will never happen again. Cant see 1872 getting the amount required when you see posts like op and from an admin. Sad that people cant put their egos aside for the good of the club(Not directed at op).

Come on mate, no one has ever forgot anything and DK will be remembered as the man who helped save Rangers in our history forever.

what mine and I think most other peoples concerns are, is the lack of communication from a group of people who have took it upon themselves to decide how and when the FANS contributions should be spent.

I would honestly prefer an option where we the fans can donate funds directly to the club, at least then we will receive an annual update of where the money was used and at what opportunities

Cant help but think this looks incredibly backwards and does nothing for our fans’ reputation.

Most English football fans I’ve been speaking to think this is a wonderful opportunity and would give their all to have it at their clubs. Sure, the logistics need tuning and there are serious discussions to be had over the details. However, rejecting this proposal straight off the bat seems absurd.

Come on mate, no one has ever forgot anything and DK will be remembered as the man who helped save Rangers in our history forever.

what mine and I think most other peoples concerns are, is the lack of communication from a group of people who have took it upon themselves to decide how and when the FANS contributions should be spent.

Their whole purpose is to buy shares, they are buying shares, what is the problem?

The same people who say Dave King saved us are the ones who are suspicious about 1872 buying shares from the man who saved us. I dont get it.

EDIT: I just want my club to be safe and not need to worry about 2012 happening again. I agree it would be much easier if we could buy our own shares but we cant.

That's the point though - there is no good for the club in any of this.

The club does not benefit one iota.

Why doesn’t the club have a share issue that the supporters can subscribe to, and put money directly into the club.
Maybe the answer is they don’t want to dilute their own shares.
Club 1872 members have the choice to put their money into new shares when we have enough funds, and the opportunity arises to do so. They can elect to have their contribution put towards projects.
They can also change their contributions to the legacy fund to buy Dave King’s shares. It is their money, their choice. They also have the choice not to contribute it’s their money.
I contribute towards new shares my choice. I just wonder how many people on these threads are contributing members of club 1872.

Why doesn’t the club have a share issue that the supporters can subscribe to, and put money directly into the club.
Maybe the answer is they don’t want to dilute their own shares.
Club 1872 members have the choice to put their money into new shares when we have enough funds, and the opportunity arises to do so. They can elect to have their contribution put towards projects.
They can also change their contributions to the legacy fund to buy Dave King’s shares. It is their money, their choice. They also have the choice not to contribute it’s their money.
I contribute towards new shares my choice. I just wonder how many people on these threads are contributing members of club 1872.
Answer to your last sentence very few I would bet

Back