I See The Controversial Handball Decision Is Being Discussed

I should have been clearer, (with blue tinted specs removed) from the images available there is enough doubt as to whether the ball struck his upper arm or shoulder.
I think I may have to look at it again, just to make sure, because I was certain it struck his flailing and unnaturally positioned arm.

If we are being pedantic…

When he receives the ball he has the opportunity to be one on one, or alternatively he is in a position to be one on one, is that better?

The flag/whistle was pretty much immediate, it went just around the time he touched the ball. A half second later he is half-battling for it, and then the game stops.

What happened after the ball comes through, or after the flag goes up, is irrelevant in context of the actual decision itself.

It was a scandalous decision, and I don’t understand anyone defending it.
I'm not defending it

But I'm also saying that it wasn't this "clear one on one" that people are suggesting

It's not like the Maeda chance that he blasts over the bar despite being a yard offside at the other end - that was as bad too

We should have had a stonewall penalty. ORiley had his arm in an outstretched blocking position. That's the rules my friend.
Admittedly I’d need to see it again. RTV only showed one replay. Looked to me like he’d turned his back and his arms weren’t really sticking out

The comments in this thread so far about VAR being potentially worse than the current set up are bang on. The fact some Rangers supporters can't see it is mind boggling considering their own logic ie "it can't be argued with so it'll help". That's the point. Keep giving them the marginals and then say "we're not bias, we looked at the VAR and that can't be argued with".

It's the intimidation of referees and other match officials that needs dealt with before we do anything else.

I’ve maintained and still do that VAR is 100% worth it in the short term for offside decisions alone, to prevent the ridiculous level of cheating witnessed in the last two OF’s alone by Celtic supporting linesmen.

Agree that outside of that it’s not the perfect solution to the refereeing issues in this country but baby steps.

Sadly this league is so tinpot we will be waiting until Christmas meanwhile these linesmen can make their ‘honest mistakes’ with impunity.

I'm not defending it

But I'm also saying that it wasn't this "clear one on one" that people are suggesting

It's not like the Maeda chance that he blasts over the bar despite being a yard offside at the other end - that was as bad too
Fair enough, I agree he is not about to shoot when the flag goes up.

But when the ball is coming to him he is in a one on one position. Whether he mis-controls it afterwards or gets a shot away is not the actual issue at hand.

Fair enough, I agree he is not about to shoot when the flag goes up.

But when the ball is coming to him he is in a one on one position. Whether he mis-controls it afterwards or gets a shot away is not the actual issue at hand.
It's kinda relevant though

The way some are going on, you'd think he was flagged wrongly offside after having scored the winner

At the end of the day, it was an incorrect decision that (based on what actually happened) affected nothing

It's kinda relevant though

The way some are going on, you'd think he was flagged wrongly offside after having scored the winner

At the end of the day, it was an incorrect decision that (based on what actually happened) affected nothing
Nah, disagree with that.

We are attacking on the edge of their box, in a great position, in the last minute and a horrific decision stops play and gives them a free kick and possession of the ball.

I would say that does affect things.

Nah, disagree with that.

We are attacking on the edge of their box, in a great position, in the last minute and a horrific decision stops play and gives them a free kick and possession of the ball.

I would say that does affect things.
Agree to disagree

Sakala had ruined the chance before the whistle stops play for me

As has been pointed out, there was a shout up the other end with oriley which VAR would have given, yet it is not getting a mention.

Swap the colour of shirts in those incidents and only one would still be getting talked about, but the narrative would be totally different if it was them being denied a clear penalty.

Yes, the John Lundstram one where his arm was at his side.
Absolutely nothing about another example of Celtic getting away with a blatant penalty.

We are absolutely cheated in this country, not only by the referees but a pathetic compliant media.

I actually thought there was one that hit O'Riley's elbow that was more of a handball tbh, he had his back turned and arm was sticking out a bit.

I actually thought there was one that hit O'Riley's elbow that was more of a handball tbh, he had his back turned and arm was sticking out a bit.
Yea that’s the one I’m talking about. It was a stonewaller.

Finally had a look back at the game.
The O'rielly one is hard to tell if it hits his back or arm.
The Lundstram one is a joke.
The two offsides are what we've come to expect.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Finally had a look back at the game.
The O'rielly one is hard to tell if it hits his back or arm.
The Lundstram one is a joke.
The two offsides are what we've come to expect.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
That has clearly came off the Celtic player’s bicep area as he comes across.

I think it clearly shows that it hits his arm.
Worse it was goal-bound and even if it doesn't have much power behind it, there is a great chance it would be directed on target by Arfield.
It was a chance of a goal denied by an arm in the box that was thrown away from the body to make it a bigger obstacle in protecting the target.

Was it discussed by Dermot Gallagher?
If it wasn't, whilst the Lundstram one was, then in that single instance we again see that there is a Media agenda and we are getting the shitey end.

I don't think it does and from the other angle it's impossible to tell.
What we do know is that for the fifth game this season and 65th set piece in a row, Vickers has a hold of Goldson's jersey. Must so hard for all the referees to see this.

giphy.gif

Post above #120
Looks like it hit his back tbf
I don't think it does and from the other angle it's impossible to tell.
What we do know is that for the fifth game this season and 65th set piece in a row, Vickers has a hold of Goldson's jersey. Must so hard for all the referees to see this.

giphy.gif
Watch it again, it hits him between elbow and the bottom of the shirt sleeve. Edweird’s alternate angle above confirms it. Stonewaller.

I’d also argue that carter vickers fouls Goldson immediately before the phantom Sakala offside. Climbs all over the back of him. It’s given as a foul anywhere else on the pitch

I was listening to the radio for the 2nd half, some women watched a replay and asked what she thought, no penalty after watching the replay was her reply.

The O'Riley one is a penalty. Hits the back of his outstretched arm. The worrying thing is that even with VAR we won't get it. They will not even review incidents they don't want to know about.

The ra filth state of mind numpties were greeting about Kent not being sent off.
It’s difficult to have a serious debate with somebody as stupid and blinded by hate as this.
I’ve asked why that was even a foul given the height and their man’s head being lowered.

A bit more imagination in his line, isn’t there.
As I’ve said put on ignore list you won’t see it then if your that bothered. Works a treat. I’ve a few I don’t have to read and it’s getting bigger by the week. Makes life a whole more pleasant.

Back