I See The Controversial Handball Decision Is Being Discussed

StuGers

Yes, the John Lundstram one where his arm was at his side.
Absolutely nothing about another example of Celtic getting away with a blatant penalty.

We are absolutely cheated in this country, not only by the referees but a pathetic compliant media.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as being "arsey" but who is discussing it? Nobody at the time on SKY or later on BBC gave it much attention and it was unanimous that it's never a penalty.

Admittedly I've not seen the TV or any papers today.

VAR is only the solution if it's impartial officials using it. Which it won't be.

The press and tv pundits will still carefully select certain decisions that suggest refs are biased towards us eg "when do Rangers get their penalty"? Comment made by Andy Walker.

VAR wont stop that and it wont stop the intimidation of refs so you can still expect Celtic to have an advantage.

The ra filth state of mind numpties were greeting about Kent not being sent off.

Exactly. I fear VAR will be a disappointment - run similar to the compliance officer role. Very selective.
Only real way to change is for our club to call it out.

Correct. Issuing the odd statement now and then wont cut it either. We have to prove the bias. It can be done but it needs to be done properly.

Where would it get us?

only answer is for Rangers fans to withdraw our custom. We have the power.

The old "dont buy the papers" approach first touted by David Murray years and years ago? Where has that got us?

The vast majority of people dont support Rangers so a total boycott by us, even if it was practicle, wont work. Its a fantasy.

What we need to do is prove the bias. Name and shame them. Call them out.

Hopefully this doesn't come across as being "arsey" but who is discussing it? Nobody at the time on SKY or later on BBC gave it much attention and it was unanimous that it's never a penalty.

Admittedly I've not seen the TV or any papers today.
A few articles popped up on my NewsNow timeline. I opened them expecting it to be their penalty handball but it was Lundstram.

The comments in this thread so far about VAR being potentially worse than the current set up are bang on. The fact some Rangers supporters can't see it is mind boggling considering their own logic ie "it can't be argued with so it'll help". That's the point. Keep giving them the marginals and then say "we're not bias, we looked at the VAR and that can't be argued with".

It's the intimidation of referees and other match officials that needs dealt with before we do anything else.

If Andy Walker is saying it is not a pen for Celtic then its not a pen.

The O'Riley one with the current laws of the game is given as a pen, some might think that is harsh but if VAR is in play yesterday that is a pen.

%^*& face that commentates with Walker and McCoist, really showed where his allegiances lies yesterday. I would say until about the 15th min we were controlling the game, looking the most likely. Celtic strung 5 passes together Crocker "Celtic are really starting to control the game now". They gift possession away, we get it back and start control it again making a lot more passes than Celtic did before his comment and his comment was "Rangers starting to string some passes together". Like poor wee Rangers have managed to get the ball and pass it, awww wee souls.

O'Riley actually blocks a goal bound shot with his arm, which is not in a natural position
Why has this not been discussed more.
This was a proper shout for a penalty.
If I recall correctly, he turns his back to the ball and throws his arms out and stops the goalbound ball in midflight.
If that isn't a handball in the box then nothing is, ... surely?

I'm interested to see Jotas dive and pen claim. At least that's what I think happened. Lack of replay or mention on Sky so maybe I imagined it.

Exactly. I fear VAR will be a disappointment - run similar to the compliance officer role. Very selective.
Only real way to change is for our club to call it out.
VAR sounds good as it suggests digital forensics but I thought there was still plenty scope for being selective as, aside from offside, it has to be a clear and obvious error and even then the ref gets final say. This is still subjective but the checks and balances against bias should be the media as we can then all see what the ref gets to see. Even then, there have been recent examples where VAR does not show the ref all the angles. There is going to be all kinds still going on.

The old "dont buy the papers" approach first touted by David Murray years and years ago? Where has that got us?

The vast majority of people dont support Rangers so a total boycott by us, even if it was practicle, wont work. Its a fantasy.

What we need to do is prove the bias. Name and shame them. Call them out.

I agree with this now.

Just don’t buy it doesn’t work. We need to highlight the inequality much more vocally every time it happens.

As you say, name and shame them. Starting with Francis Connor, the sellick linesman of choice.

The ra filth state of mind numpties were greeting about Kent not being sent off.
I genuinely can’t think of any incident where he could have been sent off?!?!

The only person who could have walked was Kyoto in about the first 10 mins with his late tackle on Big John then his deliberate handball. Of course nothing happened and there’s no controversy.

The comments in this thread so far about VAR being potentially worse than the current set up are bang on. The fact some Rangers supporters can't see it is mind boggling considering their own logic ie "it can't be argued with so it'll help". That's the point. Keep giving them the marginals and then say "we're not bias, we looked at the VAR and that can't be argued with".

It's the intimidation of referees and other match officials that needs dealt with before we do anything else.
This goes to the heart of it.
As long as they are able to control the narrative of the MSM, then this current enforced bias will continue.
By enforced bias, I mean the pressure that prevails after any decision concerning either club, where everything Rangers is usually filtered through a lens of Rangers getting the decisions and Celtc being the victim of poor refereeing.
The effect this accumulates is one of referees understanding even subconsciously that they get an easier life if they avoid either giving a decision in favour of Rangers or one against the Filth.

A case in point yesterday was the ridiculous handball given against Wright as Rangers looked to break upfield.
As the noise of anger arose in the Stands of the Jimmy Savile Arena, Beaton suddenly had a quick reconsidering of his own position if Rangers were to go upfield and score, hence no matter the laws of the game which he had instinctively followed, he knew that the priority was to remove himself and his family from a poisonous narrative that may have followed from the incident.

And, let us be honest, who in the MSM is pointing out that Beaton got the handball wrong to the detriment of Rangers?

They got away with 3 potential match changing decisions,penalty,Sakala offside and the big Greek should have got a second yellow for a pull back on Goldson
That linesman who has previous should be hunted

I genuinely can’t think of any incident where he could have been sent off?!?!

The only person who could have walked was Kyoto in about the first 10 mins with his late tackle on Big John then his deliberate handball. Of course nothing happened and there’s no controversy.
The high boot that collided with one of their defenders (think it was Ralston).Am sure Kent was booked for it

Ball seemed to hit his arm which was by his side. I thought it hit his back first time I saw it.
By his side?

It was as by his side as Scott Wrights was

I thought it hit his back too initially

It didn't, it hit his outstretched arm

Back