Ibrox Architect Archibald Leitch

Artful Dodger

Pretty sad end for a man who gave us such a wonderful iconic stadium facade that can’t be beaten anywhere in the world.Didn’t know it was inferior timbers that caused the first collapse.I knew of the collapse but was unaware it was negligence.

GibBear

I always find it funny when he’s described as a “boyhood” Rangers fan as he was born in 1865. It just seems so strange and alien to me from a modern perspective that a young boy would go and see a club like Rangers that had just been newly-formed at the time, with no idea of what would become of them in the next 140 years.

PMB1872

There is a fantastic book called Engineering Archie, that I managed to get a copy of a few years ago. The man was instrumental in the start up of football. He has over 40 clubs on his resumé.

Basically the first man to build stadiums for the masses.
Sadly, out of print now. Second hand on Amazon for £50 plus.

Rangerista

I can't believe this comment from someone who claims to have Inglis's book:
"I remember reading all about Leitch stands in your wonderful guide to football grounds, Simon. How many are still standing today? I can only think of Everton."

Also, and it's indicative, the Obsessed make their depressingly inevitable appearance on the twitter thread.

Last edited:

Noddy

The architect of our wonderful Ibrox facade.

Perhaps a little sad that his legacy is/was given very little column inches or recognition at the time, and his grave is unremarkable/tired.

His work didn’t stop at Ibrox, he also created stands at Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Fulham and many more.

He also designed the old main stand at Tynecastle.

Adam_

There is a fantastic book called Engineering Archie, that I managed to get a copy of a few years ago. The man was instrumental in the start up of football. He has over 40 clubs on his resumé.

Basically the first man to build stadiums for the masses.
Us that book available to sill buy mate

wee bud's pit boots

Have a copy of 'Engineering Archie', a very interesting read.
There is a wonderful photograph in the book of a game at Ibrox and it seems to be taken from the bottom of the Main Stand at the Copland Road end and it spans across the punters.

I think the snap is entitled; 'Archie's People.'

Gauche.

The book mentioned is excellent, not read it for many years.
Very sad than some of his designs were allowed to be demolished.

CooperOnTheWing

The Main Stand at Ibrox is magnificent and I hope it’s here a hundred years from now. The job of adding the extra tier was very sympathetically done.

Dougie Gray

I think apart from his masterpiece, our own main stand, possibly the only other one still remaining in Scotland is Dundee main stand.

129bear

Also, and it's indicative, the Obsessed make their depressingly inevitable appearance on the twitter thread.
The brass neck these cretins have thinking they have moral high ground.
Probably ignorant to the fact Leitch built their main stand.

Gary

There’s a nice section at Old Trafford dedicated to him. Noticed it when I did the tour.

Maybe we can do the same in our new museum. I would imagine there will be a section dedicated to the building of our stadium and where we played over the years.

Makes me think, they really have to consult the support before deciding what goes in there. We have so much amazing history.

SecondBestIsNothing

Maybe we can do the same in our new museum. I would imagine there will be a section dedicated to the building of our stadium and where we played over the years.

Makes me think, they really have to consult the support before deciding what goes in there. We have so much amazing history.
We have Ibrox historians along with books that detail great fan moments like the stories people had for Manchester and that. I would love a section dedicated to the aftermath of the ECWC. Would be nice to tell our fans a piece of history they might not know whilst winding up Catalonia CSC

colin stein 9

I think apart from his masterpiece, our own main stand, possibly the only other one still remaining in Scotland is Dundee main stand.

In a previous thread on here it was mentioned that the main stand at parkhead was a Leitch design and is still there albeit covered up by modern brickwork - if I recall it isn’t very aesthetically pleasing and bears no comparison to the magnificent main stand At Ibrox.

Ped78

The architect of our wonderful Ibrox facade.

Perhaps a little sad that his legacy is/was given very little column inches or recognition at the time, and his grave is unremarkable/tired.

His work didn’t stop at Ibrox, he also created stands at Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea, Aston Villa, Fulham and many more.

Maybe the guys that do the Rangers graves could set something up?

rfc1952

Official Ticketer
There’s a nice section at Old Trafford dedicated to him. Noticed it when I did the tour.

Saw similar when I did the tour of Anfield (Liverpool).

The guy doing the tour was actually surprised when I answered the question re Mr Leitch's picture straight away :D

Rangerista

Was he not involved in the The Egyptian Museum of Antiquities as well :)
It has cited as an inspiration for him and when you compare the photos, there does appear to be a remarkable similarity. I have a photo of it, will try and find it.

Dougie Gray

In a previous thread on here it was mentioned that the main stand at parkhead was a Leitch design and is still there albeit covered up by modern brickwork - if I recall it isn’t very aesthetically pleasing and bears no comparison to the magnificent main stand At Ibrox.
I’m not sure that true about scum as I’m positive they rebuilt that full stand in early 70s. The current terrible entrance I’m sure was added to the rebuilt one which was equally dreadful.

BunkMoreland

Official Ticketer

I have to disagree about consulting the support.

mummymonkey

Was he not involved in the The Egyptian Museum of Antiquities as well :)

Been discussed in here before. Given the Cairo museum was built by an Italian company in 1901 and designed by a Frenchman it's more likely Leitch took inspiration from the earlier building.

Coza

Rather than modern box with wooden beams on the facade I would like to see a nod to Leitch in the design of the new museum etc.

change consent