Ibrox Atmosphere

From looking at the thoughts of the away fans on Thursday as well as comments from older Rangers fans in different circles, it appears they believe the atmosphere at Ibrox has gotten considerably worse in recent years, do we think that really is the case and if so, how is this remedied.

From looking at the thoughts of the away fans on Thursday as well as comments from older Rangers fans in different circles, it appears they believe the atmosphere at Ibrox has gotten considerably worse in recent years, do we think that really is the case and if so, how is this remedied.
It’s been shite for years bar big games. You can only remedy it by expanding a singing section but in doing so the club will piss off the “it’s ma seat” club

The video of Helander scoring against Celtic and the scenes in the Copland is iconic. Alongside the full time wholesome everybody involved fulltime celebrations.

Most teams wish their fans looked like that.

The fact you are quoting what Brondby think and started a thread ‘best away fans youve seen at Ibrox’ implies you are a bit overthought when it comes to atmosphere.

Brondby were dismissed with the minimal fuss of St Johnstone. Hence the atmosphere. Happy days. 3 points. Done. Forgotten. Next.

How would Brondby be able to give a realistic assessment of the quality of atmosphere?

If they’re saying “it’s not what I thought it would be” it’s probably because we were playing fucking Brondby.
Funnily enough it was threads of them saying it was the second time they had been to Ibrox and the difference was night and day, who knows mate haha

The video of Helander scoring against Celtic and the scenes in the Copland is iconic. Alongside the full time wholesome everybody involved fulltime celebrations.

Most teams wish their fans looked like that.

The fact you are quoting what Brondby think and started a thread ‘best away fans youve seen at Ibrox’ implies you are a bit overthought when it comes to atmosphere.

Brondby were dismissed with the minimal fuss of St Johnstone. Hence the atmosphere. Happy days. 3 points. Done. Forgotten. Next.
Not sure if overthought would be the best way to describe it tbh mate, was curious in regards to the best away fans people had seen purely because I know older boys around me that have cracking stories in that respect, with regards to the above thread, it’s purely reactionary to the discussions I seen from Brondby fans as well some bemoaning from older friends around me as well, certainly not something I ponder long and hard one, just felt it was an interesting point of conversation mate. I also agree with your Helander point, most fans act like their own ground is like that every home game which is ludicrous.

All seated stadia don't help with the atmosphere. Think we definitely need a safe standing area.
Safe standing in BF where the UBs are. See how that goes and extend to the next section. Unfortunately the club don’t appear to be interested in safe standing.

It might be a smaller stadium, but for the return leg, the atmosphere generated by the home fans will be better in Brondby than it was at Ibrox.

The wonderful Ibrox atmosphere is a myhth.

It's an absolute rarity for Ibrox to provide a genuinely good atmosphere throughout game.

Myself and a few mates were moved out of BF5 for thursday and into CF. Terrible atmosphere. People gibbering about what to watch on netflix and at 1 point a decent bed in a hotel room.

A proper standing section would be a good start. Would mean a bigger singing section and more noise meaning more other sections likely to join in.

It might be a smaller stadium, but for the return leg, the atmosphere generated by the home fans will be better in Brondby than it was at Ibrox.

The wonderful Ibrox atmosphere is a myhth.

It's an absolute rarity for Ibrox to provide a genuinely good atmosphere throughout game.
Depends on the game.

Harsh truth is it’s piss poor for the majority of games other than old firm games and the odd European game
Wait until you get people talking about our world famous Ibrox atmosphere because it was good against Kiev, Leeds and Parma back in the day

I’ve said it before multiple times, the legendary Ibrox atmosphere is a myth 95% of the time. When the full stadium go for it - Last 20min vs Porto, spells against Young boys, the 15min after Legias pyro show etc - it is unreal

Don’t know what the solution is but for whatever reason the majority of fans aren’t up for it most of the time

Depends on the game.
We always refer to games like Parma, Kiev, Stuttgart, Leeds, Dunfermline and a few others. These are like decades apart at times.

It is very, very rare that you come away from Ibrox thinking "wow" about the atmosphere.

One of the last times it had the wow factor for me was actually v Hivs around Xmas time when we were in the Championship. Place was rocking half an hour before kick off and carried on throughout the game. There have been very few to rival that since.

You look at areas like the Copland and most of the time it is in a silent, motionless state with no-one even remotely involved in active support to generate an enjoyable atmosphere.

We have a very passive home 'support' and that disappoints me greatly.

Last edited:
All seated stadia don't help with the atmosphere. Think we definitely need a safe standing area.
Brondby fans were in an all seated area. Our support will probably give a good account for themselves over there as our away fans usually do. Their guy with the mic was good at rousing the vocals but how come they were allowed flags and drums? - don't know what they were singing apart from the Rangers F@ck you but they were def all in time and getting the sonic effect a wee bit - like we used to with the BBs.

I really really hope so, let them know who we are and the player we support, get it right up them and let them know WATP.
Stating the obvious here but letting them know "who we are" is traditionally what always took atmosphere to a different level at Ibrox. It was the trigger for lift off, always was as far back as I can remember.

Times changed and we've been deprived of that privilege but agree with the ban or not, the place ain't the same without it because nothing got the hairs on the back of neck standing more than that particular anthem. Not saying Ibrox doesn't rock anymore on occasion because that would be wide of the mark, but for reasons explained not on the same level imo.

I'm increasingly aware that the 'full choir' is sadly missing now.
I think there are many reasons for this. Some of our traditional song are now no go areas due to the scrutiny placed on us now by outside 'observers'. Sadly we don't do much to help that.
The first choruses on Thursday, were the likes of BMG. There's no way I'm singing that. I'm not a loyal Ulsterman for a start. I've never fought the IRA.

Perhaps, if we could rekindle Rangers songs, and we have plenty, more people would join in. When did you last here 'Wolverhampton Town' at Ibrox?
The club should reclaim song like the BB, a rousing anthem, with lyrics more in tune with the originals than those hyjacked by the FTP brigade. Put acceptable lyrics on the big screens and reclaim a tune that gets all Rangers supporters joining in. FFS, leave Bobby Sands to the smellies (they deserve one another).

I duly await the condemnation which will now come my way.

Stating the obvious here but letting them know "who we are" is traditionally what always took atmosphere to a different level at Ibrox. It was the trigger for lift off, always was as far back as I can remember.

Times changed and we've been deprived of that privilege but agree with the ban or not, the place ain't the same without it because nothing got the hairs on the back of neck standing more than that particular anthem. Not saying Ibrox doesn't rock anymore on occasion because that would be wide of the mark, but for reasons explained not on the same level imo.

Bang on bud, when we let them start removing our songs without a fight was when the atmosphere at Ibrox took a fatal hit.

Wait until you get people talking about our world famous Ibrox atmosphere because it was good against Kiev, Leeds and Parma back in the day

I’ve said it before multiple times, the legendary Ibrox atmosphere is a myth 95% of the time. When the full stadium go for it - Last 20min vs Porto, spells against Young boys, the 15min after Legias pyro show etc - it is unreal

Don’t know what the solution is but for whatever reason the majority of fans aren’t up for it most of the time
We spent years debating this in the ‘90s and got nowhere.

We have a loyal passionate support, we’re close to the pitch, we have plenty of well known songs, we have been starved of success for years and have good reason to vent in the stadium at every home game.

I think you’re right. Majority just not up for it.

The atmosphere v Malmo was great until they equalised - that has totally taken the stuffing out our season. Things are flat because the EL isn’t as exciting this year and our home league performances have been average at best.

Been flat for ages though - I remember a game in SG’s first season. Celtic lost late on to Kilmarnock and we were due to play St Johnstone, I thought that place would be buzzing. We win 5-1 and go top, and the place is like a funeral.

Don't see the need for the constant crywanking about this. Ibrox for big games is incredible. Thursday wasn't that big a game in the first place and after we went 2 up it was clear that they were pretty pish and weren't going to cause too many problems.

There's been plenty of big noisy atmospheres during Gerrard's time.

Otherwise, people just need to accept we're different to these "European ultra" type supports that they seem to want us to be.

Bang on bud, when we let them start removing our songs without a fight was when the atmosphere at Ibrox took a fatal hit.
Surely the way to fight back is to be smart. When UEFA make us play BCD, do you think that will improve or diminish the atmosphere? (We're close)
Should we box clever? OR Should we box stupid?

Is there a fear by fans to sing certain songs? We are always under scrutiny by the media and press. That could be a reason why Ibrox is not what it once was?

It's a lot more family orientated now compared to days gone by and chances are people don't want their kids singing about the ira, bobby sands, ftp or ulster. Right or wrong things have changed drastically since I started going and I doubt that it will ever change back.

Perhaps things will change going forward given rangers songs are taking a greater prominence but who knows.

Don’t the UBs stand all game just now anyway?
Yes, but rail type seating offers a safer environment for standing and in turn should aide the atmosphere in that area.

If they think of it as an investment, a worthwhile experiment, the club have nothing to lose by implementing safe standing there. In time engage with the fans to gauge demand for expansion in BF or elsewhere.

It would be the clearest indication yet that the club are committed to working with the fans to create a truly unique atmosphere.

It’s very difficult to generate atmosphere when we are playing in a shocking league full of thugs the standard of Scottish football is hardly arse off seat style

Atmosphere has been flat all season I've been to selhurst Park and Elland Road and their atmosphere is day and night compared to Ibrox we need to expand Ibrox to let other generations in as the support is stagnating I don't care if people don't like the truth for many. Middle aged supporters it like a chore to them and they can't wait to leave as seen by the actions of the subway loyal never seen the same amount of people leave early at any other football club.

It’s been shite for years bar big games. You can only remedy it by expanding a singing section but in doing so the club will piss off the “it’s ma seat” club

Noone owns a seat at Ibrox the club owns them. I think it’s time they make a decision and stick to it with regards to a singing section. Give existing ticket holders a choice move or lose the ticket. I include the area of the stadium I sit in in this too. It’s harsh but it needs to be done. We need the UB brought out from the corner.

The UB’s should be given the central point in either BF or CF. They have been absolutely brilliant these last 10 years or so and it would create an even better atmosphere.

However, since the lad Ross gave up it’s been noticeably different. Like others have said tonight, the song choice on Thursday was poor.

Constantly BMG and the references to uvf etc, it doesn’t do us any favours, we moan about them singing about the ira, and let’s forget about whataboutery here, but we have add ons about the uvf and uda, surely hypocrisy from us when we complain about them? (They are all proscribed terrorist groups whether we like it or not).

I just wish we could concentrate on all of our great songs and leave the political shite to that lot.

We know who we are and what our journey has been like. We will never go away no matter what Scottish football and all the charlatans and poisonous bastards try. They will never kill us or get rid of us despite their best attempts.

There's been progress with the songbook over the last few years with new additions but still feel we are short of songs that everyone knows and is willing to sing, when compared to 20 years ago and more. This means songs need to get used too often during games and that will no doubt put people off if you've just put your all into a song then the same one comes up 15 minutes later. Also some of the newer songs seem a bit generic and are sung by many clubs so I prefer the old traditional songs such as Derry's Walls, The Sash, Born Under a Union Jack, Follow Follow, Build My Gallows and also Blue Sea of Ibrox, 4 Lads, Every Saturday We Follow. I feel that Every Saturday We Follow especially is a bit overused these days. Have seen some people saying they don't like Build My Gallows but to me that's the kind of song we need to keep as, regardless of whether the lyrics are relevant, it's so tuneful and a total contrast to the standard chants that all sound the same from the likes of the Brondby support. We're Coming Down The Road is the same for me and can't be dropped.

There didn't seem to be any points in the game on Thursday against Brondby where everyone was up singing so I would expect the Brondby support not to be overly impressed with Ibrox on our Thursday showing. There's many reasons for this that have already been discussed in another thread.

We can't give up the fight on getting two of our best songs back - Billy Boys and Super Rangers.
Nowadays we can't be singing about hating anybody so just need to change the line "We hate ceptic, flipping bassas" to something more positive about Rangers. The change in lyrics would need to be communicated to the fans, and the club would need to be seen to be making this effort to change the words.
For the Billy Boys it's more difficult as there will be so many that would lapse into the old words out of habit. It's an easier song to sing at the top of your voice than something like Follow Follow or Derry's Walls and its terrible that we have allowed ourselves to be censored in this way. I'd be happy to revert to the older traditional words to get the song back. We need to set the agenda of getting our songs back rather than waiting for our enemies to try and take more away.

Last edited:
Serve alcohol inside Scottish football grounds and then you will see a much better atmosphere. Make it more of an experience before kick off with kiosks selling like they do at the rugby and the atmosphere will be night and day.

There's been progress with the songbook over the last few years with new additions but still feel we are short of songs that everyone knows and is willing to sing, when compared to 20 years ago and more. This means songs need to get used too often during games and that will no doubt put people off if you've just put your all into a song then the same one comes up 15 minutes later. Also some of the newer songs seem a bit generic and are sung by many clubs so I prefer the old traditional songs such as Derry's Walls, The Sash, Born Under a Union Jack, Follow Follow, Build My Gallows and also Blue Sea of Ibrox, 4 Lads, Every Saturday We Follow. I feel that Every Saturday We Follow especially is a bit overused these days. Have seen some people saying they don't like Build My Gallows but to me that's the kind of song we need to keep as, regardless of whether in the lyrics are relevant, it's so tuneful and a total contrast to the standard chants that all sound the same from the likes of the Brondby support. We're Coming Down The Road is the same for me and can't be dropped.

There didn't seem to be any points in the game on Thursday against Brondby where everyone was up singing so I would expect the Brondby support not to be overly impressed with Ibrox on our Thursday's showing. There's many reasons for this that have already been discussed in another thread.

We can't give up the fight on getting two of our best songs back - Billy Boys and Super Rangers.
Nowadays we can't be singing about hating anybody so just need to change the line "We hate ceptic, flipping bassas" to something more positive about Rangers. The change in lyrics would need to be communicated to the fans, and the club would need to be seen to be making this effort to change the words.
For the Billy Boys it's more difficult as there will be so many that would lapse into the old words out of habit. It's an easier song to sing at the top of your voice than something like Follow Follow or Derry's Walls and its terrible that we have allowed ourselves to be censored in this way. I'd be happy to revert to the older traditional words to get the song back. We need to set the agenda of getting our songs back rather than waiting for our enemies to try and take more away.
The problem is that it won't happen with new words. We had some morons near us in the club deck giving it ftp and the Vatican when follow follow was being sung. Fortunately it wasn't many but it won't go away.

Back