Ibrox Jan 1971- Swedish TV interview Örjan Persson and film crowd scenes

Loved the big man. I was lucky enough to meet Örjan at a roller disco in Arbroath in 1974. He was wearing a pair of denim shorts that caused a rubbernecking divorcee to banjo herself against a pillar and I’ve kept a keen eye on his career ever since.

Remember a game at Ibrox being brought to a halt as he lost a contact lens, which in those days was very expensive. Lens found, popped back in and game continued. Also remember the same thing happening to Willie Henderson.

Liked his comment. When asked about the difference between Scottish and Swedish football, he replied "It's like comparing a wedding with a funeral".

remember he scored direct from a corner ,think it might have been against stirling albion or arbroath ,first time i had seen that at a game, rangers were attacking the copeland end and the corner was from the enclosure side ,the game ended 5-1 or 5-0

I just ran the two interviews past my Swedish-English translator aka my son. He's up to his eyes with exams but did a quick synopsis:

Thomas Ahlström

Can you describe how it feels to score that goal?
TA: ”fantastiskt sjukt” which literally means fantastic sick
Would you say that was your life’s most important goal?
TA: I suppose you could
Is it the most important game you’ve ever played?
TA: Yeah it must be, to win the Greek league in the first season that I joined, that’s nice

Orjan Persson

Narrator: now let’s talk to Örjan about the difference between Swedish and Scottish football
OP: yeah it’s completely different, it’s almost the difference between a wedding and a funeral, people live and breathe it here there’s a real party atmosphere. Every movement gets a reaction from the crowd, and any mistake is pounced upon

Back