Ibrox Park...

Superman

I notice Hearts have went down the route if re-naming Tynecastle to Tynecastle Park as it used to be called back in the day.

Would anyone welcome this for Ibrox? I quite like the older traditions. I know it is a tiny detail in the scale of things but just putting the question out there.

When was Ibrox officially called Ibrox Stadium?

I notice Hearts have went down the route if re-naming Tynecastle to Tynecastle Park as it used to be called back in the day.

Would anyone welcome this for Ibrox? I quite like the older traditions. I know it is a tiny detail in the scale of things but just putting the question out there.

When was Ibrox officially called Ibrox Stadium?

97 after the renovations.

Just hearts trying to deflect attention away from the shambles that is there new stadium. Ibrox is a great name and it should stay that way.

It was officially named it in 97 mate.

Someone should have told Rangers. As an example, from the Evening Times of January 17, 1964 -

i1iiyx.jpg

The club was using Ibrox Stadium in its literature and advertisements for many decades before 1997. It's generally accepted the Empire Exhibition Cup of 1938 was one of the first instance of Ibrox Stadium being used.

Someone should have told Rangers. As an example, from the Evening Times of January 17, 1964 -

i1iiyx.jpg

The club was using Ibrox Stadium in its literature and advertisements for many decades before 1997. It's generally accepted the Empire Exhibition Cup of 1938 was one of the first instance of Ibrox Stadium being used.
I'm not disputing that but it was officially renamed Ibrox stadium in 1997.

What did they do? Smash a bottle of champagne against one of the walls? Frankly, this seems like a piece of Murray-inspired waffle. I daresay it stuck in his throat that he couldn't get the credit for redeveloping Ibrox so had to try and claim 'officially' naming it the name the club had already been using for decades. It sounds like the sort of puffed-up vanity exercise he liked.

At the end of the McEwans Lager sponsorship, the club pompously declared that the Govan Stand would be renamed 'The McEwans Lager Govan Stand' - a title that everyone completely ignored. The support has rarely bought into these club-imposed diktats.

The reality is that the club used Ibrox Stadium for decades in its tickets, literature, advertising, merchandise, etc, long before Murray or Bain or some other employee decreed that it was 'official' in 1997.

i1iiyx.jpg

Posts like this is why I posted this thread. Very interesting mate.

What did they do? Smash a bottle of champagne against one of the walls? Frankly, this seems like a piece of Murray-inspired waffle. I daresay it stuck in his throat that he couldn't get the credit for redeveloping Ibrox so had to try and claim 'officially' naming it the name the club had already been using for decades. It sounds like the sort of puffed-up vanity exercise he liked.

At the end of the McEwans Lager sponsorship, the club pompously declared that the Govan Stand would be renamed 'The McEwans Lager Govan Stand' - a title that everyone completely ignored. The support has rarely bought into these club-imposed diktats.

The reality is that the club used Ibrox Stadium for decades in its tickets, literature, advertising, merchandise, etc, long before Murray or Bain or some other employee decreed that it was 'official' in 1997.
http://www.scottishdistancerunninghistory.scot/the-rangers-sports/

It's been Ibrox Stadium as long as I've been going, since 1968. That's been used on tickets and in the programme.
In those days most grounds were "parks", I think Shawfield was the only other stadium. I get the impression stadium is seen as more grander title, hence the reason some clubs changed to that.
I remember when I was at school one of my classmates father was a Hibbee and he said Ibrox was the only ground fit to be called a stadium, that was pre redevelopment

I love the simplicity of calling it Ibrox. Even if the board sell off naming rights, we will still call it Ibrox.

The idea of selling naming rights is abhorrent, but if it brings in £20 million a year, and allows us to stop the tims winning 10 in a row, the it would be OK.

'Ibrox' on its own is enough for normal usage, but I don't see the point in renaming from 'Ibrox Stadium' to 'Ibrox Park'.

We sing 'Ibrox Park' in The Famous Glasgow Rangers, but that fits better than Stadium.

I’m 59 years old and our ground has always been called Ibrox Stadium.

I don’t doubt the 1997 official naming, but I reckon that would be a marketing/ branding type of thing.

WATP

"Ibrox Stadium" iconic name which the mhedia should be told to call it that as that's how it was addressed 20 years ago and that's how it should be now.

Welcome to Ibrox is all you need.

It is synonymous with Rangers/football/and first class.

No need for anything else............a magical ring to it.

And if Lawwell is a lurker on here.........your dump will aways be the piggery.

I don’t doubt the 1997 official naming, but I reckon that would be a marketing/ branding type of thing.

WATP
Same here...always was Ibrox STADIUM not PARK in my lifetime. It says on Wiki "The ground was officially renamed Ibrox Stadium after renovations were completed in 1997, that's a load of bumf, probably edited by Murray himself! Lots of stuff on Wiki is a figment of someones imagination.

Was it not called a stadium after a visit from the king i think that was the 1930s
you could be right
I've got a rangers LP / album from about 1971 and it states Ibrox Stadium on the back cover so it's certainly much older name than some posters think

Ibrox Park to me is the field of play, but the stadium is where the fans are housed, collectively Ibrox and regardless it's all sweet.

Doesn't seem to be much evidence for the 1997 renaming, other than the gersnet article with no sources or references.

WATP
I'm sorry but I'm older than you I've been going to Ibrox since 1969 I've never ever added stadium to Ibrox it's always been just Ibrox

At the Ibrox Park, where the Rangers play
On a bright and glorious day
You can hear them shout
Get the.............

Canny mind the rest

:):):)

I have always known Ibrox as Ibrox Stadium and I am 32 + 30 years old now. I have had a quick look through Rangers : The New Era which was published in 1966. It’s author was Willie Allison whose uncle John Allan wrote a couple of books about our early years.

Willie Allison drew on his uncle’s books and in Rangers : The New Era, Willie Allison says “On September 18 1917, His Majesty King George (The Fifth) visited Ibrox Park for the purpose of holding an Investiture on the field ....

By 1929-1930, Willie Allison (or more accurately John Allan) talks about Rangers meeting “Celtic four times during the season beating them 1-0 at The Stadium .....” Note the capital letters!!

I suspect that when the Main Stand was opened in 1928, Ibrox began to be known as Ibrox Stadium. I am sure Bill Struth would not have been averse to using the phrase. For someone who stood on the terracing at Ibrox, there was no doubt Ibrox was a Stadium.

Reactions: ao2
Back