If only David Murray had completed the corners of the Govan Stand properly

If following Dortmund's example in filling in the corners would be our best option I would rather leave it. I'm never really impressed on the outside, however on the inside the corners look awful, the overlaps are a travesty and it really feels forced. First time I was inside the then new stadium I was really underwhelmed.

I think that would be a patch solution.

It won’t happen, but the stadium is 40 years old in those aspects now - it would be better spent with a new age plan.

Always keep the main stand, then bowl out the rest. More hospitality, lower tier safe standing, proper facilities, upper tier comfy seating, more original B72 type stuff.

You could work wonders, but nothing is cheap.

We’d almost certainly have to sell the naming rights to do anything of that magnitude or win the lottery and be invited to the EPL.

Respectfully disagree, showing off the club deck stairway is an iconic part of the view within the stadium.

b25lY21zOjQ4Mjc4ZDkwLTk4M2QtNGU2Zi05MjQ0LTE4M2MxYTM5MDBiNjpkMjg1OTFmZS03ZTE5LTQyOGMtYTcwNi1jZTBkZGFjMGQ5NmI=.jpg
I totally agree, we have a true football stadium thats full of character, the outside of the ground and the panels at the top are outdated though.

This is how we'd do it too more than likely with the cantilevers on the corners although our steelwork would probably be more substantial than Dortmund's. Never happening though unless some billionaire buys us.
That's how you could do it. The current support columns in the Sandy Jardine, Broomloan Road and Copeland Road stands would need to come away and the roofs supported by other means such as columns outside the back of the stands cantilevering across like Dortmund's and taking the load of the roofs.

I think that was considered at one time, but I was told by an Engineer years ago that due the the size and weight of the beam that runs the full width of the Sandy Jardine Stand which was in its day one of the biggest beam structures used anywhere, that it would be almost impossible to support it that way, and a whole new lighter replacement roof structure to the Sandy Jardine Stand would also need to be installed.

You are right to love the stadium but as the biggest club in the country we should have the biggest stadium.

No ifs, buts or maybes.
Man city dont have the biggest stadium or fan base, its unfortunate mate but Ibrox wont be getting redeveloped for a very long time.

As we know ,it was meant to be a proper filling in of the corners to take us up to 59k capacity
And suddenly it was changed to small corner sections and the big screens ,I get the beam back thing and maybe he thought that was going to be a big revenue stream going forward

But goodness if he done it the way the pictures looked at the time, it would have been a fraction of the cost it would cost us today to increase the capacity of our stadium which is too small at present and would have gave us so many options that are relevant today , proper facilities for our disabled fans , Union bears sections, general sale tickets , more hospitality suites and so much more

Does anyone know why the change?
Was it a structural thing or a cost thing at the time
Murray is an arsehole.That’s why.

The main stand is a thing of beauty and should be our short term focus for redevelopment, we then build the rest of the stadium around it.

People talk about copying Dortmund and building some cantilevered monstrosity that would could an absolute fortune. I just don't see the point, the Broomloan, Copland and Govan stands just don't have the same sense of grandeur as the main stand l, and don't really compliment it at all in my opinion. If, and it's a big long term if, we decide to do a major redevelopment, surely the money would be better spend on proper rebuilding the other 3 stands in a way that matches the main stand, rather than effectively polishing a turd with the cantilevered monstrosity.

Regardless this is total pie in the sky stuff however, consistent Champions League appearances and establishing a player trading model we can sell 1 or 2 a season for £20m+ (which is very achievable) along with fan and investor funding who knows, something like this might be possible. I believe the board is ambitious enough to want this for the club in its long term future. Unless we do our own TV deal, it's the only we can increase revenue substantially and consistently, which in turn increases our wage ceiling, allowing to attract better players than can be then be sold on for higher fees so it definitely is an essential part of our business model.

Realistically how much would an extra 10,000 seats bring in a season. We’re not going to get in excess of 50,000 every game. Is it really cost effective in the long run or should we just be content with what we have?
An extra 5 million or so in Scotland is hardly to be sniffed at

My mate told me that the 3 stands were built with the capability to build backwards and add more rows. "Simple" case of raising the roof, building backwards and dropping roof back down, obviously extending the depth of it. Filling in the corners was never a consideration when the original stands were designed. I often wonder what it would've been like had we done this instead of filling the corners in at all.
Could've planted some nice trees in there or something :D

I think as a club we deserve and need a 60 thousand seater stadium but how possible is it

I am more surprised that the board don’t draw up plans with say 3 options and submit it to the fans and then ask the fans to contribute with the cost.

If it was to cost 8 - 10 million then I am confident if it was a real opportunity then globally we would get the funding from the support
8 - 10 million what? £10 notes?

In ten or 20 years time they will need to put serious money into that shit hole and they no it

I genuinely don’t know how they get a safety certificate
Yes you do. GCC.

I've told the story many a time on here.

Their first 'major' home match of season 1995/96 was a friendly against Newcastle. That was the opening of the North Stand.

A wee Celtic fan I worked with was at the game. Due to health reasons he didn't drink, so was into his new seat basically as soon as the turnstiles opened and told me council workers were still working, whilst he and others were taking their seats.

How's that for Health and Safety?

I’m not convinced we need another 10,000 seats. Not every games a sellout especially midweek games.

I’d prefer a full house most of the time than always having a few thousand empty seats bar old firm games

I’m not convinced we need another 10,000 seats. Not every games a sellout especially midweek games.

I’d prefer a full house most of the time than always having a few thousand empty seats bar old firm games
I think a 10% increase would be a perfect sweet spot for our capacity.

Ha ha, maybe pal im only going off what talksport said a week or 2 ago bigger in fan base no chance so it must be revenue or something
Their owners paying big sponsorship deals, resulting in a higher revenue seemingly than man utd.

They are no marks. No one respects them. Man utd and Liverpool are the biggest sides in England by a mile.

Their owners paying big sponsorship deals, resulting in a higher revenue seemingly than man utd.

They are no marks. No one respects them. Man utd and Liverpool are the biggest sides in England by a mile.
I wouldn't disagree pal, i was quite shocked when i heard that 'officially ' there the biggest club. I told a manc (united) who i work with, honestly his face was a picture, thats all we fucking need! Then walked off ha ha

The Corners are an eyesore and diminish the look of the rest of the stadium, the dead space if filled in would take us to 54-55k which would be about right imo

as for funding it if Hearts can find £20plus million to build a new stand surely we with our size we could find a way

Last edited:
I think as a club we deserve and need a 60 thousand seater stadium but how possible is it

I am more surprised that the board don’t draw up plans with say 3 options and submit it to the fans and then ask the fans to contribute with the cost.

If it was to cost 8 - 10 million then I am confident if it was a real opportunity then globally we would get the funding from the support
8-10m is a bit ambitious surely

What was the logic in not linking the stands when first built? Was that how Dortmund’s looked in the 70s?

When I started going in the 80s I always thought the ‘grass and walls’ corners very weird.

I’m sure the screens were a requirement if we wanted a Euro final - only to be screwed over by the SFA.

Moving forwards, I’m sure smaller (and better quality screens could be hung from the Copland and Broomloan stands and the space for the screens could be hollowed out and used for either corporate or disabled seating - like what Fulham have at either end of the Hammersmith stand or Villa in the Doug Ellis Stand. That said I’m not sure how much depth their actually is in that section.

my memory is they used the air circulation excuse but i always assumed Murray scaled it back for cost reasons (a rarity in those days)

What was the logic in not linking the stands when first built? Was that how Dortmund’s looked in the 70s?

When I started going in the 80s I always thought the ‘grass and walls’ corners very weird.

I’m sure the screens were a requirement if we wanted a Euro final - only to be screwed over by the SFA.

Moving forwards, I’m sure smaller (and better quality screens could be hung from the Copland and Broomloan stands and the space for the screens could be hollowed out and used for either corporate or disabled seating - like what Fulham have at either end of the Hammersmith stand or Villa in the Doug Ellis Stand. That said I’m not sure how much depth their actually is in that section.
there used to be a thing about air circulation for the grass, not sure how true that is for modern turf but back then it would have been an issue

Back