If only David Murray had completed the corners of the Govan Stand properly

The People

As we know ,it was meant to be a proper filling in of the corners to take us up to 59k capacity
And suddenly it was changed to small corner sections and the big screens ,I get the beam back thing and maybe he thought that was going to be a big revenue stream going forward

But goodness if he done it the way the pictures looked at the time, it would have been a fraction of the cost it would cost us today to increase the capacity of our stadium which is too small at present and would have gave us so many options that are relevant today , proper facilities for our disabled fans , Union bears sections, general sale tickets , more hospitality suites and so much more

Does anyone know why the change?
Was it a structural thing or a cost thing at the time

How much do we reckon it would roughly take to fix the corners and fill them with seats anyone know ?

If I remember right it was a structural thing. The sides of the 3 stands were very much load bearing, removing them would need a complete redesign of the roofs. Which would have cost a serious amount of money. Or have hideous metal pillars at the corners that would make a chunk of the new seats restricted views. All in all it wasn't feasible.

As we know ,it was meant to be a proper filling in of the corners to take us up to 59k capacity
And suddenly it was changed to small corner sections and the big screens ,I get the beam back thing and maybe he thought that was going to be a big revenue stream going forward

But goodness if he done it the way the pictures looked at the time, it would have been a fraction of the cost it would cost us today to increase the capacity of our stadium which is too small at present and would have gave us so many options that are relevant today , proper facilities for our disabled fans , Union bears sections, general sale tickets , more hospitality suites and so much more

Does anyone know why the change?
Was it a structural thing or a cost thing at the time
As we know, post me a pic of the design that you are talking about please

We would’ve had the first meccano dome but wisely left the cheap shitty option to them.

The thing is that hideous and in such a state of disrepair that they have to hide it with tarpaulin
In ten or 20 years time they will need to put serious money into that shit hole and they no it

I genuinely don’t know how they get a safety certificate

Have to admit, the corners are an absolute joke and spoil what could have been a more complete area af the ground to merge properly with the other stands.

Let's be honest, it look shit.
I think as a club we deserve and need a 60 thousand seater stadium but how possible is it

I am more surprised that the board don’t draw up plans with say 3 options and submit it to the fans and then ask the fans to contribute with the cost.

If it was to cost 8 - 10 million then I am confident if it was a real opportunity then globally we would get the funding from the support

Think this has been gone over umpteen times on here and its basically cos the stands are "goalpost structure" ie the screens at the side contain pillars which support the roofs, as opposed to cantilever roofs where the support for the roof comes from behind.
Having said that we could still do better with what we've got instead of the dull grey panels. I wish we'd put red brick and glass in there, maybe hospitality areas instead of big screens, mirroring what we did at the main stand and maybe a wee bt like the ground in Genoa.

This is what they should be like!

100x better than the shit set up we currently have.

EW2JW-QXkAAaUwY

If you want it to do numbers then stadium capacity/filling in corners/lowering the pitch/water table/The Megabrox posts should be posted during international break not transfer windows! :)

Don’t know the reason but it’s cost us tens of millions in lost revenue.

If I remember right it was a structural thing. The sides of the 3 stands were very much load bearing, removing them would need a complete redesign of the roofs. Which would have cost a serious amount of money. Or have hideous metal pillars at the corners that would make a chunk of the new seats restricted views. All in all it wasn't feasible.
This is my recollection also unless we do something radical I am not sure what else can be done.

I think as a club we deserve and need a 60 thousand seater stadium but how possible is it

I am more surprised that the board don’t draw up plans with say 3 options and submit it to the fans and then ask the fans to contribute with the cost.

If it was to cost 8 - 10 million then I am confident if it was a real opportunity then globally we would get the funding from the support
You think the fans would come up with £8-10m?

Couldn’t see that myself

To be honest at the time my recollection was of us being generally happy with what was built, with the big screens being bummed up as improving the match day experience with the big screens when after a few years it was a bit of a white elephant.

Without being disrespectful mate - £8-10M wouldn't scratch the surface; and we couldn’t raise that in a recent share issue.

Trying to sort out the corners will only lead to another expensive fudge at best. Given their location I don’t think the cost could be borne by the STH or a debenture scheme in the same way that the club deck was. Therefore the reality is that the other 40,000 STH would likely bear the brunt of the cost for a number of years, for a relatively modest increase in capacity. Taken together I think it’s a non-starter.

I genuinely think the only way we’ll see the significant capacity increase that folk seem to be craving would be a rebuild of the three stands, or at best a total rebuild of the Govan and then a remodelling of the two end stands. We’d be talking mega money that we simply don’t have and therefore a level of serious debt for a considerable number of years. Is it worth it??

My recollection at the time was that we’d have needed to close effectively three ends of the ground for a considerable period to get the upper tier corner seats due to the structural impact on the roof on the Broomloan Copland and Govan stands.

The pictures look incredible though. I wish we’d gone through with those plans.

Am I the only one that loves the Stadium?
I would like to see more Coperate boxes and better seats, I would also like to see the disabled section moved to the back of the enclosure and enshrined in glass ( I actually put that idea forward when they were looking at ideas for the RFF money they built the Stand at theTraning Ground )

Last edited:
Am I the only one that loves the Stadium?
I would like to see more Coperate boxes and beter seats, I would also like to see the disabled section moved to the back of the enclosure and enshrined in glass ( I actually put that idea forward when they were looking at ideas for the RFF money they built the Stand at theTraning Ground )
Nope i think it’s just fine the way it is, obviously it was ran down under the spivs but surely but slowly we are sorting that

Realistically how much would an extra 10,000 seats bring in a season. We’re not going to get in excess of 50,000 every game. Is it really cost effective in the long run or should we just be content with what we have?

Back