If only David Murray had completed the corners of the Govan Stand properly

Murray changed his mind as he didn’t want season ticket commitments affected. He didn’t have enough confidence in the support. It was always his Achilles heel, vast over confidence in himself and under estimating the support.

Whilst I realise there are more important things to bother about, and our stadium is better in so many ways, it’s annoying that they can boast of their 60k capacity, not to mention the scope for the additional revenue we would be getting on a regular basis…

Am I the only one that loves the Stadium?
I would like to see more Coperate boxes and better seats, I would also like to see the disabled section moved to the back of the enclosure and enshrined in glass ( I actually put that idea forward when they were looking at ideas for the RFF money they built the Stand at theTraning Ground )
Has anyone said they don't love the stadium. Have you read the thread?

20220127-233225-Blend-Collage.jpg

The weight would cause it to collapse into a black holeB-)
you'd need the day off work to climb the stairs in time for kick off.

I know it’s a bit off topic but the one bugbear I’ve had for years are the discoloured panels on the outside of the Copland / Broomloan stands.

Baffling as to why these haven’t been replaced or at least covered since the spivs were ousted

Can’t see nearly 9,000 seats being fitted in the two corners either. No chance.

I've done this on a previous thread before but if the bottom section is taked as a pie shape, it fits in to the top area three times.

Can't mind off the top of my head what the corner holds. It's obviously 800 when the Mendicants are here but that's with spare seats and rows or stewards.

I seem to remember it being 1100-12200 so you've got 3500 or so in the upper sections twice. You'd likely add on about about 6-7k doing it depending on what you lose for stairways and access.

It does involve totally taking off the heavy weight roofing structures on the three new stands though, replacing them with lightweight modern cantilever structures and getting rid of all the steel behind the screens which has become load bearing.

There were two "goalposts" coming down from the black bars on the roof and one / part of this was removed so there were sightlines up to the front of the screens. This was replaced with additional framing behind the screens.

If you look at when Man U were doing Old Trafford, they added something like 7k seats in one of the upper corners and it was a ridiculous sum of money like £60m or so. We'd be looking at very similar numbers and that's just not happening in the cash levels we operate at.

Liverpool's main stand works added a similar level of seats and was £100m.

It's just money we don't have at the moment.

Last edited:
Weren't the screens something to do with getting/maintaining the 5* stadium rating from UEFA? Think it's why when you look down south (Goodison being an example) you've screen tucked away in random places

Completely agree. Suddenly our famous stadium loses its uniqueness. Most stadiums these days look the same. I love ours as it is.
If you had a blank canvas to design a football stadium, would you design one with the type corners we have?

No, you wouldn't and neither would anyone else.

As much as those renders look good they all ignore the problem of how the existing 3 stands roofs are held up. The structure for these roofs are at the side of the stands so filling in the corners would most likely require the existing roofs to be completely removed and redesigned. The cost implications for adding 2k to 3k seats and looking a bit better just don't make it viable.

If there's serious talk about taking the screens away and increasing seats numbers this is the way to do it.

The roof has to come off the Govan and, like they did for the San Siro, you build a larger structure to the rear of the Govan where Argyll House is that allows an additional tier.

A cantilver roof is then put on "similar" to the Club Deck. The same happens with the roofs in the corners.

We might get away with leaving the goal post structures on the end stands ( depending on how well they can be re-engineered) but it would end up with a few sight lines being restricted as the pillar is required to be retained from the existing structure. Something could possibly be done to lessen the loading and the two black goal post pillars, at the Govan side of the stands, can be moved further back but it does provide restricted views.

It's similar to what Liverpool have currently done. Theirs cost figures that we couldn't even dream of at the moment unless there was investment based on naming of the stand / stadium. It's such a long term pay back that it's basically never going to happen as far as our current set up goes.

We wouldn't have to build the additional tier all the same unless we were trying to hit 65k which is overkill IMO.

If we got to 60k it'd be plenty. You're adding about 5k to the capacity with the upper corner sections filled in. If this was coupled with the feasability studies currently going on with adding seats by lowering the pitch, you'd pretty much be there at 60k.

Again, though, there's the option to just add rows to the back of the existing Govan rather than create a complete Club Deck style tier and the seats would be better up there than below current ground level. 10 rows would add 3k to the 5k from the corners and pretty much be 60k. You lose Argyll House at that point though.

It's all possible but when it comes down to money, it's not going to happen.

Have to admit, the corners are an absolute joke and spoil what could have been a more complete area af the ground to merge properly with the other stands.

Let's be honest, it looks shit.
The Main Stand both inside and out is one of the most magnificent football stadium sights anywhere in the world. Spine tingles every time I see it.

The rest of the stadium sadly just doesn't do it justice, especially the outside. Looks like 1970s cooncil offices somewhere like Cumbernauld. Would love to see it properly modernised.

How much do we reckon it would roughly take to fix the corners and fill them with seats anyone know ?

Not again. This has been discussed for what seems like a million times down the years

The simple answer is that it is prohibitively expensive to complete either of the ends of the upper tiers of the Govan with seats. So unless there is a sugar daddy willing to put the money up front it isn't going to happen anytime soon.

The designs with the corners filled looked a bit like Murrayfield, which makes me even more shocked he didn't do it TBH, looks a bit shite IMO.

In a world where money we don't really have was being spent on the stadium would far rather we looked to carry out work on Broomloan personally, quite like the corners as they are.

Last edited:
The Main Stand both inside and out is one of the most magnificent football stadium sights anywhere in the world. Spine tingles every time I see it.

The rest of the stadium sadly just doesn't do it justice, especially the outside. Looks like 1970s cooncil offices somewhere like Cumbernauld. Would love to see it properly modernised.
Agreed. 100%. Outwith the main stand, the rest of it is way past its time and very outdated.

Unfortunately can't see it happening anytime soon, but I'd love a revamp of the three 70's stands.

I think most people forget that the ground was redeveloped in the late 70's when crowd outside the matches vs Celtic were typically 25 to 30K. A 50K capacity was probably thought more than adequate.

It was also the first ground in the UK to be extensively remodelled. Stadium building technology and the needs of the club have changed a lot since the 70s.

Am I the only one that loves the Stadium?
I would like to see more Coperate boxes and better seats, I would also like to see the disabled section moved to the back of the enclosure and enshrined in glass ( I actually put that idea forward when they were looking at ideas for the RFF money they built the Stand at theTraning Ground )
Nothing wrong with Ibrox.
The structures are fine they just need modernised as to the concourses and toilets, no need for a total rebuild.
As for capacity, changing the Broomloan and Copland stand similar to Old Trafford would work.

If you had a blank canvas to design a football stadium, would you design one with the type corners we have?

No, you wouldn't and neither would anyone else.
I dont know why you seem to think your opinion is the only correct one. Let other people have their own minds eh.

The thing that annoys me the most is the space between the stands in the main stand corners. If we can’t fill them then I’d like to see them get closed off like Anfield. Surely shouldn’t be too much cost or hassle. After that then priority should be disabled access then looking at trying to find capital to fill the corners of the Govan. At the game on Wednesday night and was struggling with the weather at the back of the Enclosure - god knows how those poor people felt at the front. Not sure if it’s the club or the council but the roads and walkways round about the ground are in a horrendous state as well. Even though the board have done well improving the stadium it just shows you how much 10-15 years of neglect has done to it.

If there's serious talk about taking the screens away and increasing seats numbers this is the way to do it.

The roof has to come off the Govan and, like they did for the San Siro, you build a larger structure to the rear of the Govan where Argyll House is that allows an additional tier.

A cantilver roof is then put on "similar" to the Club Deck. The same happens with the roofs in the corners.

We might get away with leaving the goal post structures on the end stands ( depending on how well they can be re-engineered) but it would end up with a few sight lines being restricted as the pillar is required to be retained from the existing structure. Something could possibly be done to lessen the loading and the two black goal post pillars, at the Govan side of the stands, can be moved further back but it does provide restricted views.

It's similar to what Liverpool have currently done. Theirs cost figures that we couldn't even dream of at the moment unless there was investment based on naming of the stand / stadium. It's such a long term pay back that it's basically never going to happen as far as our current set up goes.

We wouldn't have to build the additional tier all the same unless we were trying to hit 65k which is overkill IMO.

If we got to 60k it'd be plenty. You're adding about 5k to the capacity with the upper corner sections filled in. If this was coupled with the feasability studies currently going on with adding seats by lowering the pitch, you'd pretty much be there at 60k.

Again, though, there's the option to just add rows to the back of the existing Govan rather than create a complete Club Deck style tier and the seats would be better up there than below current ground level. 10 rows would add 3k to the 5k from the corners and pretty much be 60k. You lose Argyll House at that point though.

That's exactly it - we could possibly extend the 'new govan' cantilever round to include the corners as well which could possibly remove the corner 'goalpost' so there are no restricted view seats, but as you say, depends on how you could re-engineer the existing piller.

If we're keeping the corners as is, I thought it may be feasible to put in 'stacked' hospitality lounges. Wouldn't increase capacity much but it would be high value seating.

The thing that annoys me the most is the space between the stands in the main stand corners. If we can’t fill them then I’d like to see them get closed off like Anfield. Surely shouldn’t be too much cost or hassle. After that then priority should be disabled access then looking at trying to find capital to fill the corners of the Govan. At the game on Wednesday night and was struggling with the weather at the back of the Enclosure - god knows how those poor people felt at the front. Not sure if it’s the club or the council but the roads and walkways round about the ground are in a horrendous state as well. Even though the board have done well improving the stadium it just shows you how much 10-15 years of neglect has done to it.
Have to agree. The corners at the main stand are not great either. A bad use of space there. Open gaps are not impressive.

All in all, the whole 'corner' situation at the stadium is one that disappoints.

Respectfully disagree, showing off the club deck stairway is an iconic part of the view within the stadium.

b25lY21zOjQ4Mjc4ZDkwLTk4M2QtNGU2Zi05MjQ0LTE4M2MxYTM5MDBiNjpkMjg1OTFmZS03ZTE5LTQyOGMtYTcwNi1jZTBkZGFjMGQ5NmI=.jpg

Not again. This has been discussed for what seems like a million times down the years

The simple answer is that it is prohibitively expensive to complete either of the ends of the upper tiers of the Govan with seats. So unless there is a sugar daddy willing to put the money up front it isn't going to happen anytime soon.
I didnt think it was going to happen , i know it would take a shitload of money to do , i was just curious how much ,ffs it was an innocent question yet some folk need to get arsy about it , people on here need to chill out a bit ffs

Do we not need those corners at main stand for emergency access for emergency vehicles though

Not to the extent we have. Ours is just the result of awkward design.

Plenty clubs have emergency access but have all corners of their ground completely enclosed.

How much do you reckon to fill in the corners? Ballpark

Respectfully disagree, showing off the club deck stairway is an iconic part of the view within the stadium.

b25lY21zOjQ4Mjc4ZDkwLTk4M2QtNGU2Zi05MjQ0LTE4M2MxYTM5MDBiNjpkMjg1OTFmZS03ZTE5LTQyOGMtYTcwNi1jZTBkZGFjMGQ5NmI=.jpg
Why would I want to see a stairway? Surely having the stadium closed and finished off would be better - you can see the stairway outside if if that what you are in to.
Anyway all about opinions!

As soon as we decided on the three completely separate goalpost style stands we were severely limiting the prospects of developing the corners.
This all day. At the time drawings for the rebuilt stands were being drafted we were lucky to pull in 20,000 some days against the likes of St Mirren etc., as against the almost guaranteed near 50,000 nowadays. It was designed at the time for that time. Could argue a lack of foresight, and I remember thinking at the time 44,000 was a bit low, but perhaps we were just unlucky the rebuild took place in the latter half of the 70's and not the latter half of the eighties. Of course the tragedy of the Ibrox disaster also had our hierarchy keen to modernise and perhaps meant we rebuilt sooner than we might have, plus we had the Rangers pools money burning a hole in our pockets.

Have to agree. The corners at the main stand are not great either. A bad use of space there. Open gaps are not impressive.

All in all, the whole 'corner' situation at the stadium is one that disappoints.
Agreed but apparently we aren’t allowed to say things like that.

That's exactly it - we could possibly extend the 'new govan' cantilever round to include the corners as well which could possibly remove the corner 'goalpost' so there are no restricted view seats, but as you say, depends on how you could re-engineer the existing piller.

If we're keeping the corners as is, I thought it may be feasible to put in 'stacked' hospitality lounges. Wouldn't increase capacity much but it would be high value seating.

I think it was another thing looked at but there's no space behind there given all the framing and you can't access it from the lower areas either.

From what I recall at the time it was to do with the circulation of air and the negative effect it would have had on the pitch/grass. No source to verify that but thats what jumps to mind when I see your post.
Don't see what difference in air circulation there would be from what we have now and with full seating at the corners. Both options would be poorer than what was there pre-1995 from that perspective, but not insurmountable with pitch technology these days.

Back