If only David Murray had completed the corners of the Govan Stand properly

Think these were the original designs

BBDB8_CBE_3_EEA_4136_964_F_882_EEB8_D6_BA1.jpg

066_AAF67_2523_41_AC_80_CD_FDCD548_FB0_FD.jpg

Then more modern renders

8-E0-B8-B7-D-2-D1-F-4-F80-9-E0-F-1-E026-E322-CC4.jpg

Screenshot-20220127-232307-Samsung-Internet.jpg

Looks like any generic stadium in England.

Leicester or Cardiff or something.

Thank %^*& we have what we have.

Nope i think it’s just fine the way it is, obviously it was ran down under the spivs but surely but slowly we are sorting that
That's what I mean, slowly but sure spend money on the Infrastucture, Toilets, Food facilities, disabled Section,Standing section eventually.
With Edmiston House due for opening at the end of the year and the redecvelopment of the Club Shop, We will be in a good place
Get a few more Stadium Concerts and our Commercial revenue will go up signifcantly

Last edited:
Am I the only one that loves the Stadium?
I would like to see more Coperate boxes and beter seats, I would also like to see the disabled section moved to the back of the enclosure and enshrined in glass ( I actually put that idea forward when they were looking at ideas for the RFF money they built the Stand at theTraning Ground )
I'm the same - the corners don't bother me one bit(though maybe that's because I'm used to them). There are issues in the ground and of course I'd love it to be bigger(no innuendo) but it's still a terrific stadium.

Realistically how much would an extra 10,000 seats bring in a season. We’re not going to get in excess of 50,000 every game. Is it really cost effective in the long run or should we just be content with what we have?
I don't think we should drastically change it, we have a proper Football Stadium and playing in Europe under the Floodlights is something I will never get tired with

I remember reading about the stadium plans in the mid to late 90s with a view to increasing the capacity to 59,000-62,000. Something about a huge problem with needing to further lower the pitch and structural issues in the corners.

I would like to see more Coperate boxes and beter seats, I would also like to see the disabled section moved to the back of the enclosure and enshrined in glass ( I actually put that idea forward when they were looking at ideas for the RFF money they built the Stand at theTraning Ground )
The corners are awful.

No sane person would choose that design.

If I remember right it was a structural thing. The sides of the 3 stands were very much load bearing, removing them would need a complete redesign of the roofs. Which would have cost a serious amount of money. Or have hideous metal pillars at the corners that would make a chunk of the new seats restricted views. All in all it wasn't feasible.
Thank you for saving me the bother typing that . You are totally correct .
This issue gets raised on the board on a continual basis .
There was talk at the time if i recall that the best way to increase the capacity is to put another teir on the Govan but would require a self supporting structure cantilevered over the existing stand and think it was the view that building a full new stand would be the way to go .
Pictures similar to whats posted above were produced in the rangers news before the corners started. Have it somewhere in the attic

I think as a club we deserve and need a 60 thousand seater stadium but how possible is it

I am more surprised that the board don’t draw up plans with say 3 options and submit it to the fans and then ask the fans to contribute with the cost.

If it was to cost 8 - 10 million then I am confident if it was a real opportunity then globally we would get the funding from the support
8 to 10 million to increase the capacity to 60,000????? Good luck with that 1!!!

I would like to see more Coperate boxes and better seats, I would also like to see the disabled section moved to the back of the enclosure and enshrined in glass ( I actually put that idea forward when they were looking at ideas for the RFF money they built the Stand at theTraning Ground )
It’d have got my vote.
Certainly long before the stand at Auchenhowie.
How often has this been used?

As we know ,it was meant to be a proper filling in of the corners to take us up to 59k capacity
And suddenly it was changed to small corner sections and the big screens ,I get the beam back thing and maybe he thought that was going to be a big revenue stream going forward

But goodness if he done it the way the pictures looked at the time, it would have been a fraction of the cost it would cost us today to increase the capacity of our stadium which is too small at present and would have gave us so many options that are relevant today , proper facilities for our disabled fans , Union bears sections, general sale tickets , more hospitality suites and so much more

Does anyone know why the change?
Was it a structural thing or a cost thing at the time
You are never getting an extra 8k in by filling in Govan corners “properly”!

Forget the cost for a second, but would it be feasible to add another tier to any of the three stands. ? Or is the original construct the final design. ?

Think this has been gone over umpteen times on here and its basically cos the stands are "goalpost structure" ie the screens at the side contain pillars which support the roofs, as opposed to cantilever roofs where the support for the roof comes from behind.
Having said that we could still do better with what we've got instead of the dull grey panels. I wish we'd put red brick and glass in there, maybe hospitality areas instead of big screens, mirroring what we did at the main stand and maybe a wee bt like the ground in Genoa.

Agree on the grey panels, surely some sort of LED panels can replace them in this day and age to complement the main screens or even be used as LED advertising to modernise the corners.

The panels are a 30 year old concept and look very dated.

That's what I mean, slowly but sure spend money on the Infrastucture, Toilets, Food facilities, disabled Section,Standing section eventually.
With Edmiston House due for opening at the end of the year and the redecvelopment of the Club Shop, We will be in a good place
Get a few more Stadium Concerts and our Commercial revenue will go uo signifcantly
Harry Styles loyal.

I love our stadium, of course it could be better, but it has loads of character and creates a fantastic atmosphere when required… The tinks hovel’s guarantee expired recently, that shit tip could collapse at any moment…

Nice wee earner for the Club ( and us:cool: )
Apart from the wee Bernadette Juniors writing " The Ranjurs are deed" in sharpie marker all over our beautiful stadium, I'm all for the extra cash it will bring in when the stadium is basically closed inbetween when we lift the title and the preseason friendlies.

The fact you'll get a turn out of it is a bonus. Strict ID in operation and triple order of Dark Fruits that week?

I think as a club we deserve and need a 60 thousand seater stadium but how possible is it

I am more surprised that the board don’t draw up plans with say 3 options and submit it to the fans and then ask the fans to contribute with the cost.

If it was to cost 8 - 10 million then I am confident if it was a real opportunity then globally we would get the funding from the support
The fans never sold out the share issue, never mind raise an unqualified sum to increase the capacity. The fanbase at large is ‘tapped out’ when it comes to significant input on top of season tickets, share issues, merch, cup games…

And it’ll take a helluva lot more that £8-10m to rip out, rebuild and reinforce the roofs of 3 stands that are over 40 years old.

Agree on the grey panels, surely some sort of LED panels can replace them in this day and age to complement the main screens or even be used as LED advertising to modernise the corners.

The panels are a 30 year old concept and look very dated.
It’s taken us 40 years to replace 1/3 of the panels at the gable ends of the broomloan and Copland, still incomplete.

Those silvery rusty panels in the corners will be there in 15 years time, I’d bet money on it.

The capacity of the stadium is just about right at present i would be looking at the catering side of things as whoever caters for us is simply not good enough.A lukewarm bovril last night with a tasteless scotch pie.

Five pound twenty,both were disgusting and i'll certainly ( from here on in ) eat outside.

The other main issue is the ticket office and the function of the disabilty units.

A club the size of Rangers has a lot of questions which needs answered but so many employees hide.

I live at in hope a wealthy bluenose benefactor leaves us a $hit ton of money in his will to be used in raising Ibrox capacity.
Outwith that I cant see it happening unfortunately

As we know ,it was meant to be a proper filling in of the corners to take us up to 59k capacity
And suddenly it was changed to small corner sections and the big screens ,I get the beam back thing and maybe he thought that was going to be a big revenue stream going forward

But goodness if he done it the way the pictures looked at the time, it would have been a fraction of the cost it would cost us today to increase the capacity of our stadium which is too small at present and would have gave us so many options that are relevant today , proper facilities for our disabled fans , Union bears sections, general sale tickets , more hospitality suites and so much more

Does anyone know why the change?
Was it a structural thing or a cost thing at the time

As we know? I don’t remember that being the original plan at all. The Blue Heaven always had the screens in the plans I thought?

Add another zero onto that estimste at least!

The corners are load bearing in order to fill them with seats we'd need to remove and redesign the roof on each of the Broomloan, Sandy Jardine and Copland stands then fill in the corners and put the roof back. Would cost an absolute fortune and tbh would probably make more sense to just demolish the 3 stands and build them from scratch. A lovely idea but completely unrealistic for us finance wise sadly.

We do need a 60k+ seater stadium but it's just not realistic atm. In the future hopefully and as long as they don't touch the main stand facia (they can't and wouldn't) I'd be happy to eventually see the other 3 stands developed.

Mint's hubris meant it was his way or no way,he was spending other people's money on vanity projects .the amount of structural work that was done in filling in the corners for very little gain was silly .

Back