If Reading came for Murty

The Gooner

Reading have been struggling for some time and change there is possible. Given that Murty does not have the Rangers job on a permanent basis would he leave us for a permanent job with them in the Championship.

maybe that will be his way out at the end of the season. he will be left in limbo if he doesn't get the managers job.

However, if Rangers get close to Celtic. say finish within 5 points, hey would need to consider him for the job full time

I think he is a Reading man at heart in the same way the Gough would be a Rangers man, Steve Bruce a Man Utd man etc. I don't think he will ever be seen as "The Rangers Manager", he will always be covering the job until we get a proper manager.

If that transpired he would probably ask the board to sh1t or get off the pan .... if the board were planning to replace him he would take the Reading job ... all depends what the board's plans are really

Why would any person leave Rangers after a successful transfer window and things starting to blend on the park?

If he even considered it I would get him to empty his desk and go. Rangers - Reading he would be a laughing stock and labled as a bottler for the rest of his career

Can't ever see the manager of Rangers entertaining someone like Reading.

Unless of course he was struggling here.

I'm getting more on board with the plan of him being our manager. MA is the man pulling the strings and GM basically taking training and picking the team.

I'm beginning to like it. First time I have had a small amount of belief in what we are doing since the 5-1 game at the dump under Warburton.

If Murty finishes 2nd and the gap is single figures, and we at least get to the cup semi final I think we will give him the gig full time. I also think he would take it. If we buy the loan players just now and keep the core - or even get £10m for Morales to reinvest then I think with him and Allen in charge we could make a good go at the league next season.

Everyones tails are up after the weekend

2 bad Games and we will be shouting for his head again Reading may be our escape root should it end out being a disaster.

I think he is a Reading man at heart in the same way the Gough would be a Rangers man, Steve Bruce a Man Utd man etc. I don't think he will ever be seen as "The Rangers Manager", he will always be covering the job until we get a proper manager.

Might forever have Reading in his heart but he admitted in an interview he done recently (put up the morning of the Hamilton game) that he was a Liverpool fan. Although the rest of his family are all tims from Drumchapel on his dads side.

Reading have been struggling for some time and change there is possible. Given that Murty does not have the Rangers job on a permanent basis would he leave us for a permanent job with them in the Championship.
Maybe not today but if the vacancy arose later in the season, and Murty hadn’t been appointed, permanently, I guess he’d have to consider it.
Would be unwise not to.

All depends on his aspirations. IF he wants a permanent role as Manager and we are unable/unwilling to offer him that then it would be in his own best interests to consider the move.

If he doesn’t get he gig full time in the summer in the summer with us I very much doubt he will go back to his previous role now he’s had a taste of the real thing.

For his own development, if nothing else.

Unless we have a shocking run of results I can’t see him not getting the job in the summer. With that in mind, there is no way he leaves us for Reading imo.

Reading fans absolutely adore Murty, he spent 11 years there and if it becomes available and Rangers don’t offer him a permanent job (and he wants a managerial role rather than reverting to a youth coaching position) then it would throw up the very situation that our Board should be considering right now.

Assuming that Murty will stay around regardless would be foolish, his reputation is growing as a result of what is happening at Rangers just now. Someone will go for him, the club needs to be ready to mitigate that.

Reading fans absolutely adore Murty, he spent 11 years there and if it becomes available and Rangers don’t offer him a permanent job (and he wants a managerial role rather than reverting to a youth coaching position) then it would throw up the very situation that our Board should be considering right now.

Assuming that Murty will stay around regardless would be foolish, his reputation is growing as a result of what is happening at Rangers just now. Someone will go for him, the club needs to be ready to mitigate that.

Is his reputation growing? He has taken an inconsistent team and kept them predictably unpredictable. He has been backed with better players that someone else is clearly buying and yet we are still on the same points as a team that we have beaten 3 times this season. Despite the good results against the sheep and hibs away (the point at the piggery also) he has overseen losses against killie, Hamilton, hibs, St Johnstone and Dundee. I must be missing the reason why teams are going to be banging our door down.

If Graeme was to move on he can do so with his head held high after picking up the pieces from the debacle that was the Pedro appointment which should never have happened

Is his reputation growing? He has taken an inconsistent team and kept them predictably unpredictable. He has been backed with better players that someone else is clearly buying and yet we are still on the same points as a team that we have beaten 3 times this season. Despite the good results against the sheep and hibs away (the point at the piggery also) he has overseen losses against killie, Hamilton, hibs, St Johnstone and Dundee. I must be missing the reason why teams are going to be banging our door down.

Perception down south is that he is successfully managing Rangers and that is a big deal.

We sit and look at it from close quarters and get hung up on stuff that is important to us, but which doesn’t even register with people who have too small a budget for Pardew/Pullis/Moyes etc but seek a manager with big club experience. That Murty has been managing Rangers for much of the last 12 months and had a couple of good results against Celtic will get him on the radar of Championship clubs.

Murty comes across as a man of principles.

I suspect he’d discuss it with the board and agree a summer release, if the option ever arose.

I like Murty. He’s handled this whole debacle really well.

Agree completely.

Whatever happens from here, Murty has done nothing for which he should be ashamed. His handling of this entire circumstance has been exemplary.

Agree completely.

Whatever happens from here, Murty has done nothing for which he should be ashamed. His handling of this entire circumstance has been exemplary.

Compare and contrast with a McDowall.

Murty’s done as well as I’d have expected given his relative inexperience.

Deserves a permanent position somewhere soon.

Murty has said

If it’s not a job on par with or bigger than Rangers he’s not interested

Things can obviously change and maybe after a taste of first team management he can’t go back to the youth set up but I think we should do our best to keep him at the club he has been an excellent employee and done unexpectedly well other than the arse kissing of those who hate us.....

My opinion of Murty hasn't changed since his first spell in charge. I think he has it in him to forge a very good managerial career for himself.

The problem, for Murty, is that the Rangers opportunity has come too soon. Unless he has the team performing a miracle this season and winning the title then he will almost certainly be leaving not just the managerial role but the Club in the Summer. Having had a taste of it he won't want to go back to working with the kids. He won't be short of suitors - and Reading would probably be at the top of that list.

Unfortunately for Murty, the chance to manage Rangers seldom comes around again. Jock Wallace and Walter Smith spring to mind but it's a rare event. Had he had the opportunity to step up from the youths to, for example, Assistant Manager we may have been able to develop him to take over from whoever was his Boss. That's all ifs, buts and maybes now though. I will be sorry to see him go - but delighted to see him stay because it will mean we have done something remarkable between now and the end of May!

Decent man who will go on to be a successful Manager - somewhere -in my view.

I can't see Murty going back to coaching the kids after tasting the managers role. I think Reading will be one of the jobs he takes in the next few years.

Why would any person leave Rangers after a successful transfer window and things starting to blend on the park?

If he even considered it I would get him to empty his desk and go. Rangers - Reading he would be a laughing stock and labled as a bottler for the rest of his career
Right on the money.

For as long as he is asked to manage Rangers, there is no chance Graeme Murty would entertain leaving for a nothing club like Reading.

I get all the different scenarios but what worries me is if he does depart all the good stuff may be undone with a new manager. We seem to be progressing and can't afford another manager taking a season to settle in.

I get all the different scenarios but what worries me is if he does depart all the good stuff may be undone with a new manager. We seem to be progressing and can't afford another manager taking a season to settle in.
This worries me. Just because a manager has experience doesn’t mean he’s going to walk into Rangers and take this team to the next level. It could turn to shit just as easily.

Can't really sèe him being high on Readings wish list to be honest
He's already a legendary figure at Reading and he's doing a fantastic job managing the top team in Scotland at the drop of a hat and you can't see him being high on their wish list?
Really?

Mr. Murty is the same as any other employee at Ibrox.

If you're not happy, leave.
If you think that your job at Rangers isn't testing your abilities, leave.
If you think you've contributed all you can, leave.
If you think there are greater challenges else where, leave.
If you find there is a more attractive offer from a previous club, leave. (why did you leave in the first place?)

And finally, if you wake up in the morning and you're not 100% thinking Rangers, leave.

There’s some of anger and ridicule being directed at Murty here purely on a bit of hypothetical speculation in the OP. Incredible.

There is NO indication Reading want Murty - especially before the end of the season. There is NO indication that, even if they did, Murty would be interested in going,

Jesus - leave the guy alone and give him peace.

Last edited:
Back