International Call ups - Ours and Theirs

Blair1310

Does anyone know when the squads for USA, Japan, Australia and Jamaica are likely to be announced? We know columbia already obviously but it would be good to know roughly what the state of play will be with both squads before the 2nd and to see if/when the club would need to look into a postponement. I would guess part of this decision will be made up depending on who they are missing as well as who we are.

We won’t call off, simply as there would be several games rearranged.

Disgraceful, but it is what it is

From us:

Alfie
Aribo
Sands (likely)
Roofe (likely)

From them:

Kygothediver (injured but otherwise likely to be called up)
Rogic (likely)
Maeda (hasn't played for Japan since 2019)
Hatate (hasn't played for Japan at all)
Ideguchi (likely)
Carter-Vickers (hasn't played for USA since 2019)

From us:

Alfie
Aribo
Sands (likely)
Roofe (likely)

From them:

Rogic (likely)
Ideguchi (likely)
I read that Vickers has a good chance of getting a call up because the MLS is in close season now so naturally their coach will select more European based players who are still active.

From us:

Alfie
Aribo
Sands (likely)
Roofe (likely)

From them:

Rogic (likely)
Ideguchi (likely)
I don't think Sands is likely tbh.

A Japanease journalist also said that none of other Celtic players except Kyogo are expected to be called up.

We won’t call off, simply as there would be several games rearranged.

Disgraceful, but it is what it is
I dont personally get this argument if it is what the club decide. I back our full squad to beat Ross County and Livi, as well as Celtic whenever those games need to be crammed in. I think that is a calculate risk definitely worth taking.

I dont, however, think making the conscious decision to go to parkhead missing our best players in a league worth 40m is anything close to a risk worth taking.

From us:

Alfie
Aribo
Sands (likely)
Roofe (likely)

From them:

Rogic (likely)
Ideguchi (likely)
Do you know when the squads are announced though?

I dont personally get this argument if it is what the club decide. I back our full squad to beat Ross County and Livi, as well as Celtic whenever those games need to be crammed in. I think that is a calculate risk definitely worth taking.

I dont, however, think making the conscious decision to go to parkhead missing our best players in a league worth 40m is anything close to a risk worth taking.
Would be shocked if the management team were happy for us to be in a position where we are potentially playing catch up on Celtic and settle for fixtures to be crammed in towards the end of the season.

Just get the games played.

From us:

Alfie
Aribo
Sands (likely)
Roofe (likely)

From them:

Rogic (likely)
Ideguchi (likely)
Kygothediver (injured but otherwise likely to be called up) but will make a miraculous recovery when not named

Of course it was but was asked the question and give an answer if players were called up
I know it was in terms of the actual time. What I mean was that may have been his answer when he, like most, assumed Alfie would not get a call up given he wasn't one of the 9 strikers called up to their last squad.

It would be an absolute embarrassment if we got this game off considering we’ve spent 3 weeks saying how much they shat it…
I disagree and tbh, I wouldnt be overly bothered by whether it looked embarrassing or what the other half of the city say. I want the league and the 40m that comes with it. It would be a game changer, stabilise the club for years and fund some excellent players for a rebuild. We are a business as well as a football team with passionate supporters.

If you offer me that over bragging rights for not shitting it, I know what one I am taking.

We have Septic. Hearts and Hibs then Dortmund. If we want to win the league then we need to show we can and will win the first three. Dortmund to be honest would be good if we get through but not a disaster if we dont.
I worry after the way we played against the Dons and maybe we need a quality right winger and Helander and Jack back.
For me it is essential we win this league and while it is fine we are ahead at present Gio and our boys need to know just how important the league is to get the CL cash and ensure it does not go to them.
We now need Itten to get games and perform and score. I do think he can do it for us and should start against Stirling Albion to give him confidence.

Caviate the above by saying we could still win or get a result at parkead regardless, and we could still win the league even if we didnt. Just think we need to be giving ourselves the best opportunity to do so.

I know it was in terms of the actual time. What I mean was that may have been his answer when he, like most, assumed Alfie would not get a call up given he wasn't one of the 9 strikers called up to their last squad.
yeah however I am sure Gio is a far better position to decide and quite possible that will be that we won't postponing any game it is fair assumption

We have Septic. Hearts and Hibs then Dortmund. If we want to win the league then we need to show we can and will win the first three. Dortmund to be honest would be good if we get through but not a disaster if we dont.
I worry after the way we played against the Dons and maybe we need a quality right winger and Helander and Jack back.
For me it is essential we win this league and while it is fine we are ahead at present Gio and our boys need to know just how important the league is to get the CL cash and ensure it does not go to them.
We now need Itten to get games and perform and score. I do think he can do it for us and should start against Stirling Albion to give him confidence.
I agree that it is essential. Its why I think we would have to ask for a postponement, as much as it might leave a sour taste. Going to parkhead with potentially the same squad and team as we had on tuesday would be ludicrous. Yet, given the time it takes to fully return from injury, it is entirely possible.

I don't think Sands is likely tbh.

A Japanease journalist also said that none of other Celtic players except Kyogo are expected to be called up.

I could be wrong but I thought he was in the majority of their squads for the last 12 months?

I'm sure I read the Japan and Australia squads were due to be announced this Sunday.

FWIW I don't think we will see either of Sands or Roofe called up, so we might 'only' be missing Aribo and Morelos. I think the Yanks will be amenable to letting Sands 'settle' in his new environment and Roofe will be omitted to his lengthy period out with injury.

For the Dhims I don't think any of their Japanese will be called up - Furuhashi, allegedly is injured anyway and the rest aren't regulars. Outside chance Maeda could replace Furuhashi but I don't think so. Carter-Vickers is far from a regular for the USA also. They will likely be missing just Rogic due to call-ups and a few more due to injury (bound to be more hamstrings go in the next few weeks) such as Furuhashi and Turnbull.

I could be wrong but I thought he was in the majority of their squads for the last 12 months?
He was in the Gold Cup squad in the summer where he earned 6 of his 7 caps but they only picked USA based players for that.

He was then selected for the squad in September, wasn't selected in October and was called up late in November due to injuries.

He's definitely got a chnace but if everyone is fit the liklihood is he won't be selected.

Good chance of CCV being called up I think as centre back is the one position they rely on US based player for.

It would be an absolute embarrassment if we got this game off considering we’ve spent 3 weeks saying how much they shat it…
You realise the Club didn't say that. There is also a difference between pushing for a rearranged winter break due to injuries in their squad and having players unavailable through no fault of the CLub.

If it suits us to ask for a postponement we should. If we are happy to play then fine.

I know the scheduling is tight etc but would’ve thought that they must’ve factored in the fact that players would be away when they were announcing this date.

Surely with this being our biggest match to market the powers that be would’ve wanted the best teams out on the pitch as possible?

Instead we are going into into it without two of our best players and potentially their best forward and defender.

Clearly not, for one reason or another.

The whole thing has stunk from start to finish.

Does anyone know when the squads for USA, Japan, Australia and Jamaica are likely to be announced? We know columbia already obviously but it would be good to know roughly what the state of play will be with both squads before the 2nd and to see if/when the club would need to look into a postponement. I would guess part of this decision will be made up depending on who they are missing as well as who we are.
I would ask for a cancellation for the reason to see what Dungcaster and Angie have to say about it

He’s not had a call up in nearly three years, would be a surprise
This time last year he hadn't played the whole first half of the season. The season before he missed 7 games over December/January. The situation just now is a bit different and I think he's got a good chance. Sands a bit different as I'm pretty sure they have strong European-based players in centre mid.

What a shambles this winter break manipulating is turning out to be.

When are the SPFL and member clubs going to realise anything suggested by Celtic is only for their gain, and everything they touch turns to shit.

What a shambles this winter break manipulating is turning out to be.

When are the SPFL and member clubs going to realise anything suggested by Celtic is only for their gain, and everything they touch turns to shit.
This is just another reason why we shouldnt just let this go. If we can make life difficult for celtic and the spfl as well as improve our chances in the league then we have to.

Postponing could just as easily work against us. Gives their injured players more recovery time and new players time to settle. If we can win our two games before we play them then we will be top of the league whatever happens. Then we go again, top of the league and with a full squad. Pretty decent position to be in.

Jamaica have a game today that they didn't select any European based players for. Albeit its a friendly but their next WC game is in 8 days, so they don't have much time to announce a squad for that. Hoping Roofe is left out on those grounds.

Not even close to being the same thing. They pushed for the fixtures to be manipulated so they could make signings and bring back injured players. We'd be asking to invoke an existing rule.

Jamaica have a game today that they didn't select any European based players for. Albeit its a friendly but their next WC game is in 8 days, so they don't have much time to announce a squad for that. Hoping Roofe is left out on those grounds.

Jamaica announce their squad tomorrow. Tonight's game is outwith a FIFA international window, thus couldn't force players to join. All of the bigger players will be called up for the qualifiers, though, especially given it's a new manager

A striker Shamar Nicholson has apparently asked not to be picked because he's just moved to Spartak Moscow and wants time to settle. Roofe could also do similar given he's coming back from a lengthy lay-off.

Jamaica announce their squad tomorrow. Tonight's game is outwith a FIFA international window, thus couldn't force players to join. All of the bigger players will be called up for the qualifiers, though, especially given it's a new manager

A striker Shamar Nicholson has apparently asked not to be picked because he's just moved to Spartak Moscow and wants time to settle. Roofe could also do similar given he's coming back from a lengthy lay-off.
I’d be surprised if he made that request, doesn’t strike me as the type who would put Club before country. He’ll go and collect a cap and accept all the plaudits should/ when we win the league.

Think they are pretty well fucked for qualifying anyway so hopefully wont bother calling him up.

Back