Is 4-3-3 still the way forward?

DC23

Official Ticketer
Personally think our 4-3-3 formation is far to predictable at times, although its been mentioned GVB likes this formation, would you be happy seeing this change and if so what to?

GvB mentioned in his first press conference that we’ll be fluid and tailor tactics depending on the opposition.

Gerrard did the same to some extent but I’d expect us going forward to be far more flexible than we have been.

The success of that flexibility is very much dependant on the quality of the squad.

Going by what Gio said we will set up in a 433, however the team will be comfortable switching in game so possibly like Cruyff’s Barcelona and be able to go 343 or 4231.

Tbh we didn’t really play 433 under Gerrard it was more a 4321 or 4312.

Gio is a fan of 4-3-3 so that’s the future, no question. However, I liked what Gio said about the importance of being able to change the dynamic and system during matches. That’s really important and something I don’t think Gerrard really did too well. We had a tendency to stick to plan A, keep whipping it out wide, for crosses into the box. Even when that didn’t work, like on Sunday. If we are smart with 4-3-3 and change it up within in games to give us more options and keep the opposition guessing, that will work just fine.

4-3-3 is a base and there are many different systems within the base formation. Folk who dismiss 4-3-3 based solely on it being "4-3-3" don't watch or play a lot of football.
As a team we set up as 433, wether or not that changes in game (which under gerrard it never) isnt relevant to my point

It is a very adaptable system, either with width, or with a free man behind 2 central forwards, or 2 number 10s. So it’s not predictable as a system, but the players who play the system can be.

It works when the 2 wide men drop inside allowing our full backs to effectively play as part of the front line. This hasn’t happened all season.

The Dutch are here, therefore so is 4-3-3.

They are the master of that system, and Gio explained too that the system can adapt change and experiment through games to beat different systems and challenges.

Mon the 4-3-3 attack.

As a team we set up as 433, wether or not that changes in game (which under gerrard it never) isnt relevant to my point
Because 4-3-3 is basically interchangeable with 4-1-2-1-2 / 4-2-2-2 / 4-2-1-3 / 4-3-1-2 / 4-3-2-1 etc etc etc

The system is popular and widely used because as a starting base, it's flexible and can easily change with little preparation and coaching.

(This isn't a dig at you) I dunno how anyone who watches even a fleeting amount of football can think that there is this magic formation that will just allow us to blow by teams working hard who are well organised, compact and parked in their own box. Clubs at every level throughout the world struggle against these sort of tactics.

Would love to see bassey and patterson get a run out then if we plan on sticking with the overlapping full backs, their pace is seriously missed

Personally think our 4-3-3 formation is far to predictable at times, although its been mentioned GVB likes this formation, would you be happy seeing this change and if so what to?

No issue with the formation, it's how it's implemented.

If that's the way Gio wants to play, then that's fine with me.

He's got a far better knowledge of tactical formations than everyone on here put together.

4-3-3 works ok if you use wingers and have pace up front. We have far to many slow players on the park at the same time to much.

I'm hoping we will use more than 1 system now.

Absolutely hate it. Some easy to set up against domestically where teams basically play with a back 5.

Yet we're 4 points clear in the league and scored 10 goals in our last 2 league games.
6 of those goals were against the team whose forward line ran FF's new favourite John Souttar ragged at the weekend.

We're not playing at our best, but that's more down to individual performances than the formation.

Playing a 4 3 3 doesn’t have to be a rigid formation I am hoping that GVB and coaching team bring some variety and have the ability to change accordingly

Behind all of the free flowing total football the Dutch were admired for was a great deal of discipline, hard work and understanding the role each player played.
4-3-3 is a way of lining up at kick off, what develops thereafter depends on the opponent being faced and the nature of the game.

4-3-3 works ok if you use wingers and have pace up front. We have far to many slow players on the park at the same time to much.

I'm hoping we will use more than 1 system now.

Wingers need space to work in and people to hit in the box. With the tactical coaching players receive at the highest levels now, most have an awareness of positioning and space control that was maybe just taken as granted back when, which ultimately limits the usefulness of traditional - be quick, beat your man and hit the line - style wingers.

I'm not sure pumping balls into packed boxes full of 6ft+ Scottish centre halves is going to bring us a lot of success, no matter how much it scratches the nostalgia itch with some older bears.

Edit - We do however need to be much quicker in our transitions (which we were last year, especially in Europe) and obviously you need quick, athletic and intelligent players for it to work. I think a major issue we have had this year is we have been to pedestrian in both the press and the transition from defence to attack once we win the ball back. Probably because the lads are off their caffeine cycle :shh:

These threads always go full pep, it makes no difference how popular the system is in England, Germany or anywhere else its destroying this team and the confidence of every single player. We need to get rid of it before its too late.

Having one single formation with a slight tweak here and there is too basic, I said that all the way through Gerrard’s time and I’ll say the same if Gio takes that approach.

You see much poorer teams make significant formation switches during games and that seemed a million miles away under Gerrard, so I’d like Gio to have a playbook of a handful of different formations to suit different teams.

I think it might be more of a 4231. I hope this might get the best out of the Hagi if he is played at the centre of the 3 behind the Striker. I also hope this might see the revival of Morelos if he is asked to play back up top in the role he used to be so effective at - Autumn 2019 Morelos.

Gio is a fan of 4-3-3 so that’s the future, no question. However, I liked what Gio said about the importance of being able to change the dynamic and system during matches. That’s really important and something I don’t think Gerrard really did too well. We had a tendency to stick to plan A, keep whipping it out wide, for crosses into the box. Even when that didn’t work, like on Sunday. If we are smart with 4-3-3 and change it up within in games to give us more options and keep the opposition guessing, that will work just fine.
Really good point. Gio highlighting that need to be adaptable gave me some hope!

If you watched Gio's press conference he actually said he plays a Dutch style 4-3-3 system.
Gerrard never knew how to switch it uo when it wasn't working, hopefully GVB does.

Gerrard had a very clear idea of how he wanted to play and, as such, the players in the squad reflect that.

If Gio wants to change our style, he'll likely need to make personnel changes.

*edit* Or extract something out of players that we may never knew they had.

Gerrard had a very clear idea of how he wanted to play and, as such, the players in the squad reflect that.

Sadly that clear idea was imposed often irrespective of opposition or changing circumstances in game.

I'm not sure that is entirely true, however I agree personnel changes will be needed.

Yes, stick with 433. It gives the best options for getting as many players up the park while still keeping a solid shape to deal with any counter attacks. Get 3 in or around the box and both full backs up the pitch supporting them.

Watching Chelsea last night the 3-4-3 formation is so dynamic it’s a nightmare to play against suppose the players they have and coaching makes it look even better

Remember Leverkusen totally bossed us with it

What formation do you think we should play?
Well thats obvious 4-4-2.

Get a pair of strikers in the middle and the game becomes a lot easier.

I am not making excuses for the players, but maybe its time to find a way to help them (they look sick of these tactics) instead of completely writing off the whole squad and asking them to do play in a way which most are finding almost impossible for a number of reasons.

There will be more speed, energy, etc in a team playing a more direct scottish/british style.

433 is just the template, as Gio said there are many ways to play that formation and it’s more about understanding and flexibility within a match than where you’re all standing at the KO.

I’ve long thought Rangers simply must play with a second forward more central in whatever role that may be. We just need more movement and direct threat through the middle and specifically in the box otherwise it’s all too predictable and easy for the Bus Parkers to defend against.

Maybe Roofe out and out CF with Fashion free to roam the catwalks just off?

Well thats obvious 4-4-2.

Get a pair of strikers in the middle and the game becomes a lot easier.

I am not making excuses for the players, but maybe its time to find a way to help them (they look sick of these tactics) instead of completely writing off the whole squad and asking them to do play in a way which most are finding almost impossible for a number of reasons.

There will be more speed, energy, etc in a team playing a more direct scottish/british style.
I couldn’t think of a worse formation than a 4-4-2 for this current side.

We don’t have two strikers who work together, and the thought of a conventional two in the middle giving very little cover to a horrendous central defence is nightmare material.

4-3-3 is not a single formation. There are significant flexibilities with 4-3-3 that makes it a really good system if it is coached and played properly.

Listened to Rudd Guillet describe the variations on 4-3-3 and how both the midfield and attack line can either play point forward or point back.

This can and should be coached and teams can switch during different phases of the game.

Interesting stuff and highlights the need for good coaches.

I doubt that Gio will try to change too much tactically, at least initially. The players have played this system- well for the most part - for a number of years and any wholesale changes will most likely lead to confusion. He's intelligent enough to realise this and will gradually evolve things over time, aided by bringing in his own players. There's scope for enough variation within 4-3-3.

Back