Is European competition income more important than winning the domestic league?

A club of our size belongs in the latter stages of of European competition. We should be there more regularly.

Wining stuff first. Good run in Europe a nice bonus.

We need group stage football to help pay for players that might just deliver trophies.

Is being domestic champions losing its importance? A good run in the Europa League or qualifying for the Champions League bring in similar large finances and we are unlikely to win many points in the Champions League. The importance of European income seems to be the main aim nowadays. I wonder if an Atlantic league type project might resurface as an alternative to the current scenario?
Financially yes as you get nothing for it or very little but we should always try to be League Champions.

They take up valuable space in the calendar for virtually zero reward.

League cup in particular could be binned.
I really don't see the point in the League Cup, and never have. Not for top flight teams anyway.

Abolish the Challenge Cup and make the League Cup for teams in the three lower divisions.

That would leave us with:

• The Premiership, our bread and butter and the competition which determines who the best team in the land is.
  • Europe, whether it's the riches and glamour of the CL or the realistic chance of going all the way to the final of the EL.
  • The Scottish Cup, which offers knockout football against other domestic sides and the goal of lifting that old trophy at Hampden on a sunny spring afternoon.

Three different competitions with their own characteristics and which are all important in their own way.

The League Cup is just a poor man's Scottish Cup and we could do without it. Let the lower division clubs compete for it. Rotate the venue for the final each year at a different Premiership ground, meaning it's always a neutral venue given it would be contested by lower league clubs.

You could have the likes of Dundee v Dunfermline as the final. Offer sensible tickets prices and have it at a packed Tynecastle. It would be a great day out for supporters of those kind of clubs.

It's should be the goal to do both, the finances of Europe should make winning the league easier

Have to agree with the poster above this is Gerrards legacy, he did do both and he did it well all things considered

Is being domestic champions losing its importance? A good run in the Europa League or qualifying for the Champions League bring in similar large finances and we are unlikely to win many points in the Champions League. The importance of European income seems to be the main aim nowadays. I wonder if an Atlantic league type project might resurface as an alternative to the current scenario?
Are you for real?

Forget last season. We've had five such occasions since 1956, so it's not like it is a regular occurence.

Or possibly it has slipped your mind that by handing the filth the title last term and more than likely this season also, that's £50-60m the filth have in the bank before a ball is kicked or STs sold. Put it this way, with the title meaning automatic access to CL money, if we lose another two on the trot it is hard to see how we can find a way back financially.

So in answer to your question.

Gie's peace!

I'd rather we win the league every season & Europa League football.
If we make CL sure but I'd definitely take the League.
Even more so these days as those ***** across the city are catching our 55.

Back