Is it an urban myth that Grimsby Town are based in Cleethorpes and Cleethorpes FC are based in Grimsby?

Wiki is saying Larnaca but I was certain they played in Nicosia.

Sharing grounds is very common in Cyprus but in Makario Stadium you have Doxa Katokopias, Olympiakos, Ethnikos Assia and Digenis. Christ knows how they all get to play their games.

I went to a Nicosia game when I was on holiday in ayia Napa and I was certain when I watched us playing over there (on Tele) it was the same ground.

Maybe the larnaca ground isn't up to euro spec so they share apoel's, but use larnaca for domestic matches?

Kinning Park was a separate burgh too. Don't know if it was when we played there or if it merged with Glasgow or Govan. The 3 burghs met at Paisley Road Toll.

I think Kinning Park was classed as a police Burgh, although I'm not sure if that was any different to a full blown Burgh like Govan. IIRC Kinning Park joined Glasgow before Govan although Plantation, it's superior neighbour across the road, joined as part of Govan.

I went to a Nicosia game when I was on holiday in ayia Napa and I was certain when I watched us playing over there (on Tele) it was the same ground.

Maybe the larnaca ground isn't up to euro spec so they share apoel's, but use larnaca for domestic matches?

Perhaps thats what it is mate. I would hate to ground share, but some countries it's the norm. Cypriot football is struggling a bit with a lot of Ultras not attending in protest at government laws which is a shame because they always offered up mad atmospheres.

Perhaps thats what it is mate. I would hate to ground share, but some countries it's the norm. Cypriot football is struggling a bit with a lot of Ultras not attending in protest at government laws which is a shame because they always offered up mad atmospheres.

Aye it was mental. The game I went to was a champions League qualifier v Sparta Prague. They went 2-0 up at one point and the place went crazy. Prague got 2 late goals to even it up though so that killed it a bit at the end.

Same situation in Nottingham.
Notts County are based in the City of Nottm boundary. Forest are located in The Borough of Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire

Aye it was mental. The game I went to was a champions League qualifier v Sparta Prague. They went 2-0 up at one point and the place went crazy. Prague got 2 late goals to even it up though so that killed it a bit at the end.

I've always fancied going over there for a game, but would wait until the Ultras protest as over. APOEL v Omonia would be tasty.

There’s some old buildings (primary schools?) in Partick that have Burgh of Govan on them...I think.
Whiteinch primary, opposite Victoria Park at the end of the expressway, has “Govan Parish” emboldened on its walls.

So, strictly speaking, our ground takes its name from an area (Ibrox) that's outwith where it actually is (Govan)..?

No. Our ground Ibrox Stadium is in Ibrox. But Ibrox used to be part of the Burgh of Govan, which is why some still refer to us as a Govan club, but since Govan joined Glasgow in 1912 that's not strictly been true.

Ibrox was part of Govan. Rangers were a Glasgow team when founded, flirted briefly with Partick, then became a Govan club. They finally became a Glasgow club again in 1912 when Govan joined Glasgow.
I believed we were a Glasgow team as our first games were at Glasgow green.
Then I was told Glasgow Green is actually outside the city whose eastern border was Glasgow Cross.
This forum was the only place I’ve discussed this so I’ve “learned” it on here.

I think Kinning Park was classed as a police Burgh, although I'm not sure if that was any different to a full blown Burgh like Govan. IIRC Kinning Park joined Glasgow before Govan although Plantation, it's superior neighbour across the road, joined as part of Govan.

I think the old railway line behind the Govan Stand, Brand St and then PRW right down to the Toll divided Govan from Ibrox, Cessnock and Kinning Park.

It’s like Govan claimed anything close to the river right up to where the Springfield Quay is now.

No. Our ground Ibrox Stadium is in Ibrox. But Ibrox used to be part of the Burgh of Govan, which is why some still refer to us as a Govan club, but since Govan joined Glasgow in 1912 that's not strictly been true.

I've finally got my head round it. So, when we're called a Govan club, it's not quite true is it?

I believed we were a Glasgow team as our first games were at Glasgow green.
Then I was told Glasgow Green is actually outside the city whose eastern border was Glasgow Cross.
This forum was the only place I’ve discussed this so I’ve “learned” it on here.

That's a new one on me mate, I'll need to check it out.

I think the old railway line behind the Govan Stand, Brand St and then PRW right down to the Toll divided Govan from Ibrox, Cessnock and Kinning Park.

It’s like Govan claimed anything close to the river right up to where the Springfield Quay is now.

Ibrox, Cessnock and Plantation were all part of Govan by the mid 19th Century but Kinning Park wasn't.

Ibrox was part of Govan. Rangers were a Glasgow team when founded, flirted briefly with Partick, then became a Govan club. They finally became a Glasgow club again in 1912 when Govan joined Glasgow.
I don't think we were ever in Partick. The Glasgow boundary was the Kelvin, Burnbank was east of that near St Mary's cathedral. Anyway at Kelvinbridge the adjacent burgh was Hillhead. Kelvinbridge and Partick Bridge have the Glasgow coat of arms at the east end and the other burgh at the west end on the parapets.

I know we played them in the 90s but I was too young to remember. But im sure when we played them relatively recently (maybe 2008 or so) when ketsbaia was their manager, their home leg got played in apoel Nicosia's ground?
First time we played them it was at their ground in Lanarca. The 2005 game got moved but I can’t remember why.

I don't think we were ever in Partick. The Glasgow boundary was the Kelvin, Burnbank was east of that near St Mary's cathedral. Anyway at Kelvinbridge the adjacent burgh was Hillhead. Kelvinbridge and Partick Bridge have the Glasgow coat of arms at the east end and the other burgh at the west end on the parapets.

Another lesson learned, cheers.

Arsenal no longer play in Woolich Arsenal. Which is where they were founded and took their name. Charlton are the closest team to arsenal now.

Arsenal no longer play in Woolich Arsenal. Which is where they were founded and took their name. Charlton are the closest team to arsenal now.
Arsenal’s first two grounds were in Kent, although now both sites are part of Greater London.

AFC Bournemouth's ground is in Boscombe, although they were originally called Bournemouth & Boscombe Athletic.

Is it also an urban myth that an Irish club play in Scotland, hate everything British but would love to play in the English league?

No that is not an urban myth, that is very true. It is also true that a sizable portion of their support regard themselves more Irish than Scottish but for some strange reason still want to stay in Scotland.:eek:

W.A.T.P.

Schooled again. The old kent road went right past Woolwich so makes sense. Think its the A2 now.
Yeah Arsenal’s first two grounds were in Plumstead before they moved to North London. Plumstead was technically a separate town to Woolwich as well until well past the time Arsenal moved north.

Charlton was originally in Kent too.

West Ham never played in West Ham.
I'm sure they played in Upton Park
Confusingly there used to be another football club called Upton Park who played at West Ham Park.

There was also a West Ham Stadium that held 120,000 people and was one of the largest grounds in Britain. A club called Thames was founded to play there (so similar origins to Chelsea and Liverpool).

Last edited:
There’s some old buildings (primary schools?) in Partick that have Burgh of Govan on them...I think.

The stonework has 'Parish of Govan' which is a different thing, I believe, from the Burgh of Govan.

Back