Is Messi going to shortly be a problem for Barca?

Coza

In the match Steve Mcmanaman blurted out in an incredulous tone “how can Coutinho not get in this Barca team? He’s been on ten minutes has one assist and two goals”.

The Barca team is obviously set up to get the best out of Messi. For me the lad is the greatest player ever and it’s logical why they would do this. But at some point he is going to go from being unplayable to having bad or at least less impactful games and their system doesn’t seem to let other ‘stars’ shine - for example Coutinho and Griezman look dog shite in their system.

This is in no way a reaction to tonight’s game before anyone does 2+2 and gets 5. Barca had plenty issues tonight and Messi was the least of their worries - it was just something I thought about during the game as they discussed the next manager. At some point a manager will have a really difficult call to make. Maybe they will need someone like Xavi to be given the freedom from the fans to make such a huge decision.

Ron Atkinson’s “Barcelona think defence is something you put around de garden” was never more apt. :))

Barca need to start again and they could be like Man U for a while.

They will still get UCL every year, or should, but to what stage?

That's when they'll start to worry.

Interesting to see how FFP and UEFA restrictions on that are allowed.

A part of their problem which was mentioned on the show there was the clique nature to the club . It seems if you come in and messi dont like you then you have no chance, cant just be a coincidence that great players go there and suddenly become shit.

Messi currently is all that is stopping Barca from being where they were in the early 2000s - struggling to even qualify for the CL through La Liga.

Agreed but to rebuild and be a force again they are going to have to get a manager who manages his game time/role quite soon I think.

Think Gerrard at Liverpool or Lampard/Terry at Chelsea. Eventually a manager has to turn the page and begin fresh.

A part of their problem which was mentioned on the show there was the clique nature to the club also. It seems if you come in and messi dont like you then you have no chance, cant just be a coincidence that great players go there and suddenly become shit.

Messi seems to decide who plays/signs an awful lot of the time. That’s a shocker.

Either give him the managers role or get in someone who will start to make
Decisions and deal with the Messi fall out.

I seen this online and it sums up Barca perfectly these days..

2009 Henry-Eto-Messi
2010 Tiki Taka
2011 Tiki Taka
2012 Tiki Taka
2013 Transation
2014 Powerplay
2015 MSN
2016 MSN
2017 MSN
2018 Messi Do Something
2019 Messi Do Something
2020 Messi Do Something

Great post.

That team was exactly that tonight and once they knew it wasn’t going to work they gave up.

In the match Steve Mcmanaman blurted out in an incredulous tone “how can Coutinho not get in this Barca team? He’s been on ten minutes has one assist and two goals”.

The Barca team is obviously set up to get the best out of Messi. For me the lad is the greatest player ever and it’s logical why they would do this. But at some point he is going to go from being unplayable to having bad or at least less impactful games and their system doesn’t seem to let other ‘stars’ shine - for example Coutinho and Griezman look dog shite in their system.

This is in no way a reaction to tonight’s game before anyone does 2+2 and gets 5. Barca had plenty issues tonight and Messi was the least of their worries - it was just something I thought about during the game as they discussed the next manager. At some point a manager will have a really difficult call to make. Maybe they will need someone like Xavi to be given the freedom from the fans to make such a huge decision.

Ron Atkinson’s “Barcelona think defence is something you put around de garden” was never more apt. :))

Griezmann was a duff signing. Not because he is not a quality player, he is, but where was he ever fitting in to that system.

P.S Xavi would be a mug to touch that job just now. Major rebuild and huge questions over finances even before COVID

The problem with Barca, is their systems been sussed for a long time. Theyve relied on individual brilliance from Messi, but in truth theyve not been at their peak since Xavi and Iniesta. The 2 players who turned a predictable system into a lethal team because they were 2 of the greatest visionaries with the ball ive ever seen.

Barca have never replaced those 2, and became over reliant on Messis brilliance, but both of those things are unsustainable. I dont expect either to be directly replaced, so they needed to tweak their style to one that better suits their current players. For some reason thats not happened, whether its Messi dictating matters or coaches being stubborn, but something needs to give because theyve become vulnerable to direct teams that play at speed.

I foresee Messi leaving, and as mad as it sounds, it may actually be to Barcas benefit in the long term. Equally i feel Messi could do with a fresh challenge

Not for me, arguing that Morelos might stifle other attacking options is valid, arguing Leo Messi lowers the potency of your side is not.

He has an influence, of course-you could argue what other employee of an entity taking £25m p/a out doesn’t? but there is no way he is responsible for that RB and CH recruitment.

It’s a shame for him if anything, resorting to this.
You’re used to Iniesta over your right shoulder. Now there’s a bewildered Frankie De Jong running about like a headless chicken.

Messi already is the problem, the current manager only partially manages the team, it’s all about Messi.

someone like Xavi could be the answer to either punt him or put him in his place
No player,even messi should have influence on who the manager signs,player bigger than the club.

The problem with Barca, is their systems been sussed for a long time. Theyve relied on individual brilliance from Messi, but in truth theyve not been at their peak since Xavi and Iniesta. The 2 players who turned a predictable system into a lethal team because they were 2 of the greatest visionaries with the ball ive ever seen.

Barca have never replaced those 2, and became over reliant on Messis brilliance, but both of those things are unsustainable. I dont expect either to be directly replaced, so they needed to tweak their style to one that better suits their current players. For some reason thats not happened, whether its Messi dictating matters or coaches being stubborn, but something needs to give because theyve become vulnerable to direct teams that play at speed.

I foresee Messi leaving, and as mad as it sounds, it may actually be to Barcas benefit in the long term. Equally i feel Messi could do with a fresh challenge
Realistically where could Messi go?

He'd be ineffective in Italy,England and probably Germany. He couldn't go anywhere else in Spain.

So he's left with the middle east or going home and those are probably beneath him in his mind at this time.

Think it’s come the point where Messi wants shot of Barcelona rather Barcelona want shot of Messi.

N.a.. The argies call him "the Catalan

He's going nowhere.

That said like Busquets, Pigue and Suarez he's looking a tad over the hill.

It happens.

He'd be ineffective in Italy,England and probably Germany. He couldn't go anywhere else in Spain.

So he's left with the middle east or going home and those are probably beneath him in his mind at this time.

This type of opinion should truthfully lead to a ban. I understand it’s a forum and it’s for people’s opinions no matter how clever or STUPID but cmon to %^*&

Since Puyol retired and Pep used Mascherano as a CB their defence hasn't been sorted luckily Messi/Suarez kept them afloat. They've spent daft money in the wrong areas, it's so painstakingly obvious they deserve all they get.

N.a.. The argies call him "the Catalan

He's going nowhere.

That said like Busquets, Pigue and Suarez he's looking a tad over the hill.

It happens.

You know what mate? I reckon Messi is still more than good enough to play for any club in the world.

Maybe he’s not as capable at doing what he once did, but he’s still better than 99.9% of footballers plying their trade today.

Messi could go anywhere he wants, Even at 33 He's the best player on the planet and the best player you or I will ever see. The problem is that no one can afford him.

I think he is one of the best players ever but he has too much influence alongside Pique. They lack commitment and discipline on the evidence of tonight and need a manager who can lay down the law, come up with a tactical strategy and rebuild the team with players to suit. That won’t happen if Messi and Pique are running to the board or leaking to the media.

Maybe they wouldn’t do that to Xavi, but if he doesn’t want it right now I think they need a strong leader in there. And a proper transfer strategy rather than just spending fortunes signing good players that don’t fit the system (Griezmann), where they have a top player in that position already (Coutinho) or who are massively overrated (Dembele).

SOS to Guardiola if Man City win the CL this year?

For a club that has the supposed best academy in the world they have failed horrendously to bring first team players through

Add to that they are hundreds of millions in debt

Barca as a club is a shambles

I think he would do well in Italy imo, or for Man City in particular if he did choose the premiership. Having said that though, i think hes more likely to go home as you suggest. I think that would be a nice way for him to finish his career. Ultimately though im not sure. I think he has options, but it does depend where his minds at, as you suggest

I dont believe you just posted that m8.

This has to be the most ridiculous thing ever posted on here. Jesus wept !!

Messi could go to Italy, England or Germany and instantly be the best player in the league.
Have you watched him lately?

I don't have a problem with admitting that he's easily the best central midfield attacking player I have ever witnessed in my life. Yet despite the quote to the contrary, class isn't permament in football it's fleeting and Messi wouldn't get a start with Juve, Liverpool or Bayern on his current form.

I don't have a problem with admitting that he's easily the best central midfield attacking player I have ever witnessed in my life. Yet despite the quote to the contrary, class isn't permament in football it's fleeting and Messi wouldn't get a start with Juve, Liverpool or Bayern on his current form.
Put your spade down

Yes I have watched him lately he’s still the best player on the planet with 31 goals and 26 assists.

If they can get the fee that they want for him they should move him on. He has been a true great for them but time is catching up with him and the club needs to rebuild. It will take them several years imo to get back to anywhere near the level they had a few tears ago. A crop of players like they had sometimes only comes along once in a generation - and that is if you are very lucky.

Jesus fuq. He’s not the player he once was. He’s still one of the best around though.

Mental.

Back