Is this team better than 2008?

Borna of this season, yes.

Borna at his best, no,
In terms of left backs, I’d have Papac behind Numan from rangers teams I can remember

Papac ahead of Barisic every time for me. Games different these days as full backs are expected to attack much more but I’d still opt for Sasa

No.

That 2008 side wouldn’t have lost an 7/8 point lead in this league.
They did though, remember how far ahead we were that season then blew the league. Fixtures caught up on us but remember horrific games / results against the likes of Motherwell with Dailly in line up.

I'd take Ferguson and Cuellar. Unfortunately the standard of opposition is much higher. This team should fear no one if we get through.
Your spot on. Remember as great as our run was that year after going out the champs league, apart from Werden Bremen home and sporting Lisbon away, most of our performances in uefa cup were not pleasing on the eye that season. This team puts on a show it has to be said.

This team haven't won a league title.. we're currently 3 points behind.

But if we're going down that route.. the core of the 2008 team went onto win trophies and leagues on a regular basis.

What an utterly bizarre thing to say.

You can’t discount what the current team have done in the past then give the 08 team credit for things they done in future years. Who’s to say the current team won’t go on and do the same?

What an utterly bizarre thing to say.

You can’t discount what the current team have done in the past then give the 08 team credit for things they done in future years. Who’s to say the current team won’t go on and do the same?
I was going purely head to head season for season as the OP stated.

It's a pretty simple thread.

I was going purely head to head season for season as the OP stated.

It's a pretty simple thread.

But how can you go head to head on seasons when this one hasn’t finished yet? Or have you just given up on this season?

To add more context to the debate, after 30 games this season we’re on 70 points. After 30 games in 08 we were on 75 points.

In 08 we then lost our next two games so if the current team were to win our next two games then we’d be a point better off than the 08 team after 32 games.

We’re still in Europe.

We’re still in the Scottish cup.

Really difficult to call in my opinion. The current midfield & attack with 2008 defence would’ve been the ideal scenario.

Really? Given what was at stake in terms of them winning 10 in a row?

Yep!

“Pressure” was all felt by us fans (who are life long emotionally tied to the club) at home.

But our players had practically zero interaction with fans and had a season worth of training matches (which they performed phenomenally in btw)

Yep!

“Pressure” was all felt by us fans (who are life long emotionally tied to the club) at home.

But our players had practically zero interaction with fans and had a season worth of training matches (which they performed phenomenally in btw)

Ah well, I’m glad 55 is now going to be remembered as the training match title from now on.

They did though, remember how far ahead we were that season then blew the league. Fixtures caught up on us but remember horrific games / results against the likes of Motherwell with Dailly in line up.
You’re saying that like we weren’t absolutely fucked over.

This team has blown a 7 point lead by virtue of not being able to see out games.

You’re saying that like we weren’t absolutely fucked over.

This team has blown a 7 point lead by virtue of not being able to see out games.

We were fucked over but we also didn’t help ourselves at times.

We went to replays with Hibs and thistle in the Scottish cup and went all the way to pens v St Johnstone (I think) in the semi final.

Walter smith didn’t use his squad particularly well towards the end of the season either IMO which added to the fatigue.

You don’t think Cuellar or Ferguson would get in this current team?!

:oops:
Ferguson’s second spell with us was completely average, i wouldn’t take the player he was then before Kamara or Jack.

Always thought Cuellar a bit overrated tbh, prefer Goodson and Helander.

I'd take Ferguson and Cuellar. Unfortunately the standard of opposition is much higher. This team should fear no one if we get through.
Not much between them at the moment tbh, but I think you can only possibly compare the two at the end of the season, when we know what has been won (or not !)

Yes this team is good to watch.
The 2008 team was too defensive.
A great achievement but not good to watch. I still can’t bring myself to watch a replay of the final.
This team entertain when they are up for it.

Nah sorry, not having that.

Thats 1 very small step away calling us the 'covid champs'!

Call it whatever you want bud but whoever thinks the “pressure” that the players experienced last year is anything close to what it was the season before or this season with fans in is bonkers!

It’s not even close to comparable!

Call it whatever you want bud but whoever thinks the “pressure” that the players experienced last year is anything close to what it was the season before or this season with fans in is bonkers!

You've not got a clue,last season's title was the most pressurised in recent times,everything in the media was about 'the ten',it was a done deal according to everyone,those players would have had to live with that forever,thankfully they done the job.

We may as well not even count that title then since there wasn’t enough pressure on the team to win it.

You've not got a clue,last season's title was the most pressurised in recent times,everything in the media was about 'the ten',it was a done deal according to everyone,those players would have had to live with that forever,thankfully they done the job.

Pressure for fans - yes.

Pressure for players - yes, but nowhere near “normal” circumstances.

Trust me when I say the players only feel real pressure from the weight of expectation coming from the stands. Everything else is just “virtual” online and in newspapers.

Pressure for fans - yes.

Pressure for players - yes, but nowhere near “normal” circumstances.

Trust me when I say the players only feel real pressure from the weight of expectation coming from the stands. Everything else is just “virtual” online and in newspapers.
Why would i trust you and your t@rrier propaganda?

Absolutely. He wasn't the same player he was first spell but he was still capable of dominating European games.

Porto and Stuttgart at home he was the best player on the park. In fact, I think Stuttgart scored when he was off the park getting treatment. He was also outstanding against Riquelme over both legs.

Why would you do that bud?

Not for me. The vastly better team over the course of last season deservedly won the title.

I do count it. I think there’s an argument that it was the most important title in our history. I’ll be forever grateful to the players and management team who delivered it.

To try and talk down what we done last year is just bizarre behaviour.

Absolutely. He wasn't the same player he was first spell but he was still capable of dominating European games.

Porto and Stuttgart at home he was the best player on the park. I fact, I think Stuttgart scored when he was off the park getting treatment. He was also outstanding against Riquelme over both legs.

We’ve seen Jack, Davis and Kamara dominate European games consistently for the past few years.

I do count it. I think there’s an argument that it was the most important title in our history. I’ll be forever grateful to the players and management team who delivered it.

To try and talk down what we done last year is just bizarre behaviour.

I’m not talking it down. We derserved it more than anyone else and it will be one of our greatest titles. Personally, I think 56 this year will dwarf 55 given the financial swing involved.

I’m talking about associated pressure. It’s circumstantial and varies.

There was less pressure on the players on match days (a lot less) last year than there was the season before or this season.

The players also feel less pressure playing against the likes of Dortmund to that of Ross County, Dundee Utd etc.

I’m not talking it down. We derserved it more than anyone else and it will be one of our greatest titles. Personally, I think 56 this year will dwarf 55 given the financial swing involved.

There was less pressure on the players on match days (a lot less) last year than there was the season before or this season.

The players also feel less pressure playing against the likes of Dortmund to that of Ross County, Dundee Utd etc.

Maybe, just maybe, there’s a lesson in there for the fans at Ibrox to have a little bit more patience and not pile the pressure on at every opportunity.

Correction. You aren't MEANING to play it down. But that is exactly what you are doing.

Correction. You aren't MEANING to play it down. But that is exactly what you are doing.

No I’m not.

Last season was thoroughly deserved.

I’ve also said there was less pressure on the players against Dortmund than there was against the likes of Ross County, Dundee Utd etc.
So does that mean I’m suggesting the Dortmund results were shïte, not worth considering in the record books? Ofcourse not.

The pressure levels coming from the stands isn’t comparable. It doesn’t belittle the achievement though.

There's only 1 position up for grabs really. Right midfield.

Mcgregor

Tav
Goldson
Cuellar
Papac

Jack
Thomson

Aribo/Davis/Naismith/Novo or JCD
Ferguson (c)
Kent

Morelos

Back