It just isn't acceptable - women commentating on men’s football

Liam McLeod sounds like a wummin, but not as good.
watched a utube of one of our games from a number of years ago, he was the commentator and sounded ok vs the histerical version he has mutated into

I don’t really mind them and if they’re good at what they’re doing then fine but I’ve yet to see one that’s impressed me with their knowledge, the worst being Aluko, she is fucking garbage.

On another point, women’s football is a completely different sport, there’s plenty of scope to put the ladies on that and grow their own sport.

Can't stand it. Starting to hate the way there is a token woman on the panel too. It's all PC bollocks of course & it ruins the experience.

Women have women's football - let them cover that & stop with the 'right-on' crap.

i really dont mean it in a sexist way. but, football is just one of those sports where it should have men for the mens game and women for the womens game.?
our Girls under 13 would give us better than 80% we are forced to listen to up here. if they have a footballing brain and say what they see i dont see a problem, next it will be female lines woman . Offside what offside :)
fernanda_colombo_4554_620x413.jpg

I wonder when the first woman Commentator will say " it's a man's game" when their is a soft challenge.

i really dont mean it in a sexist way. but, football is just one of those sports where it should have men for the mens game and women for the womens game. i dont watch tourist football but i do remember a few years back i did watch a game on match of the day very briefly while channel hopping and there was this women commentating while screaming with a ridiculous high pitched voice. was this her mate tonight?

Have to agree with this 100%, but with the way the world is going think it’s just going to have to be put up with.

i really dont mean it in a sexist way. but, football is just one of those sports where it should have men for the mens game and women for the womens game. i dont watch tourist football but i do remember a few years back i did watch a game on match of the day very briefly while channel hopping and there was this women commentating while screaming with a ridiculous high pitched voice. was this her mate tonight?

Naw it wis wee Paaaaaat Nevin!

It barely registered last night when the commentating began, and if I remember correctly she began with quite an interesting statistic. No issue from me.

Give me Jonathan Pierce over any of them.Remember Zola snowmobile.I'd prefer anybody other than the current mob at bbc despite brexit st patricks quay.

our Girls under 13 would give us better than 80% we are forced to listen to up here. if they have a footballing brain and say what they see i dont see a problem, next it will be female lines woman . Offside what offside :)
fernanda_colombo_4554_620x413.jpg
Bet she would have seen the offside for Rapid's goal on Thursday.

For the original point, commentators should be knowledgeable and unbiased, which plainly most of the Scottish ones are are not. Nothing to do with what gender they are.

Probably one of the biggest changes in football since I started going is the number of knowledgeable and passionate women now going to the games.

Honestly do not understand the fanfare for Alex Scott. Talks at 100mph and basically goes between statistics and obvious points that dont need pointing out.
Absolutely zero insight - which is no real surprise coming from someone who played the game as such a poor poor level.

In what way?
Well, just because some of us would prefer ex-player pundits (such as Souness for example) does not mean some sort of hatred of the fairer sex? And it’s certainly not Timmy-esque victim complex.

To be honest mate, your comment could be taken as an uber staunch feminist ranting, which holds more in common with a Timmy victim mentality?

Well, just because some of us would prefer ex-player pundits (such as Souness for example) does not mean some sort of hatred of the fairer sex? And it’s certainly not Timmy-esque victim complex.

To be honest mate, your comment could be taken as an uber staunch feminist ranting, which holds more in common with a Timmy victim mentality?
There was a thread on this board a few weeks ago saying white men were the most victimised group in the UK!

Having played the game doesnt give somebody a natural aptitude for commentating or similar media work.

Tim Vickery is one of the finest football journalists around. Didnt play the game professionally.

Robbie Savage played at international level and in the Premier League.

I know who I'd rather listen to.

I don’t pay much attention to what commentators say and it just blends in with the match but when a woman starts screeching it sounds out of place and doesn’t blend in at all.

Having played the game doesnt give somebody a natural aptitude for commentating or similar media work.

Tim Vickery is one of the finest football journalists around. Didnt play the game professionally.

Robbie Savage played at international level and in the Premier League.

I know who I'd rather listen to.

I’m not disagreeing with you mate, there is some total dross ex-player pundits. But, we also have pundits like Souness, Beglin, or indeed our very own boss as pundits, to name but a few.

They’ve done it at the top level, played in front capacity crowds and handled insane pressure. There’s not a female alive who can provide an insight to that.

Bet she would have seen the offside for Rapid's goal on Thursday.

For the original point, commentators should be knowledgeable and unbiased, which plainly most of the Scottish ones are are not. Nothing to do with what gender they are.

Probably one of the biggest changes in football since I started going is the number of knowledgeable and passionate women now going to the games.
she may have seen it but i dont think many of us would have :D would rather have anyone doing the job that are qualified and can leave the their dark tinted glasses at home and if that means a panel of all female commentators am all for it and for the guys that think a woman should be in the kitchen why are most chefs men ;) My kitchen My rules.

Before i head to the game am off to do the shopping for tonights tea and the week.
Master chef loyal :p:)

The commentator for MOTD on that game was awful.

People with irritating voices like that shouldn't be commentating regardless of gender

Well said. Because she is a woman shouldn't mean she is judged by different criteria, especially not in these days of equality. She sounds shite.
Surprised at the number of posters falling into line with the PC nonsense. She's shite, Liam whatever is shite, Rob McLean is shite, Crocker is shite. But if you complain about a woman it's somehow a plot against women in the workplace?
FFS, get your own opinions.

Well said. Because she is a woman shouldn't mean she is judged by different criteria, especially not in these days of equality. She sounds shite.
Surprised at the number of posters falling into line with the PC nonsense. She's shite, Liam whatever is shite, Rob McLean is shite, Crocker is shite. But if you complain about a woman it's somehow a plot against women in the workplace?
FFS, get your own opinions.
In a nutshell, summed up perfectly.

Hey Captain Caveman you misogynist, get into the 21st century. Some are better and some are worse just like men!

If I personally wanted to get on match of the day I would probably have to have Premiership experience or similar. Fair enough, a certain amount of experience is required, of the top level, before you can typically get a spot on those shows. So how come a female who has played at what is basically amateur level or less - in comparison to top level men’s football - can waltz in and become an instant expert?

One more than one occasion women’s ‘international’ level teams have been beaten by boys youth teams, and even school teams. Whether you like it or not there is no comparison to men’s top level football.

It’s the pretence that women have played at any comparative level that gets me. We would be as well getting getting ‘Shuggie’ from the pub or amateur team in, to do the analysis. There is no way you are getting a spot on those football shows as a man with similar lower level experience. I think they call that situation positive bias nowadays.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/fo...se-70-to-team-of-15yearold-boys-a3257266.html

If SKy are desperate to get more women in front of the camera in regards to Football then they should start by getting rid of Thommo, "Mers" and Charlie Ridiculous from Sky Soccer Saturday as they are f%^king useless

If they offer decent insight into the game and make coherant sentances then go for it.

We've had Steven Thompson saying he doesn't even like football anymore yet still happily takes a wage from it. I'd rather a woman if she wanted to be there.

Would people rather listen to Mark Lawrenson on the BBC commentating? It sounds like he's just watched his family be exectued.

Not a commentator but I was watching Soccer Saturday yesterday and the absolutely state of Chris Kamara trying to describe a red card in the Bournemouth game was scandalous. Stuttering and slabbering all over the place, no idea what was actually going on and then just starts laughing. What kind of insight is that?

If it’s someone like Alex Scott, I don’t have an issue. She’s knowledgable and genuinely has decent insight.

However, we’re now getting token women on every pundit panel and the vast majority talk pish. Eni Aluko was absolute garbage during the World Cup, particularly when compared with Scott.

The woman commentator on BBC is absolutely hopeless as well. She could take the most exciting game and make it sound dull as dishwater.

Only a matter of time before we have a transsexual commentator.

I’m sure Brendan will be looking forward to that, I’m less sure.

Latest posts

Back