Jack Wilshire talks about rangers move during interview

If you’re not a Rangers supporter.
you fancy you can cut it at EPL level and you’re still young enough to do it (not even thinking of the money) why would Rangers be your first choice?
Id rather someone was honest than all the usual lines that comes out of every player we sign or are linked with... massive club, huge fan base, always looked at results blah blah blah

We are always quick enough to take the pish out of players the mentally challengeds sign when they say they’ve followed Celtic for years, if wilshere was to have said yeah I’m a massive rangers fan and always wear my top with Mols on the back when they are on tele we would call him out for it.

We have a clear recruitment policy and his fitness levels, injury proneness and commitment to the club would rule him out of recruitment.

Just because someone is a big name should not make us wilt at their feet. 'No man is bigger than the club'

Not for me. I'd be surprised if we signed him given our signing policy now appears to be to go after young hungry players who can be developed (Kent, Aribo, Barisic) or older model pros (McGregor, Davis, Arfield).

No one is bigger than our club.

I was quietly positive about him joining us, now I hope we don't even contemplate an offer.

Thanks but no thanks.

If Gerrard is the sole reason for any player moving here they should not be considered at all.
I'd say the likes of Goldson, Aribo, Zungu, Defoe, Kent, Roofe, Hagi are generally here due to Gerrard.

There are very few of our first team who would have playing in Scottish football as their "first choice". And that is totally understandable.

There was a small bit of excitement there when he was being linked with us. That's gone now, wouldn't like to see him take the place of somebody who actually wants to be here.

I don't really see a lot wrong with what he has said but going by what Gerrard has said previously about players wanting to be here - I think the move is dead in the water.

Wilshere could've and probably should've just said something along the lines of "I'm open to speak to Gerrard if he wants to." And left it at that.

Wilshere was one of England's best players not so long ago and I doubt he would've ever saw his career going down the route of playing in Scotland. He's only being honest I respect him for that.

I just feel like it rules out any chance now.

After those comments the only Rangers he'll be going to, is QPR.

I was all for him coming here but if we're not his first choice, then gtf

How many of our recent signings would have signed for us had Mcinnes got our job. The Gerrard factor is huge. If you don’t think that then that’s just being delusional. I don’t see any difference to what Wilshere has said here than what Zungu said in July.

If he was as good as he thinks he is he wouldn’t be training in Dubai on his lonesome- he would have a club with a lengthy contract and a large £££ every week.

best of luck to him in whatever team he ends up at but I’d be astounded if it’s a bigger team than Rangers.

Compare his attitude to Jermaine Defoe both prior to him signing & all the way through his career with us. He couldn't speak highly enough of the club & wishes he made the move years ago. With Wilshere seems like he doesn't have that hunger & would be quite happy playing out his last few years in the sun somewhere.
That was after he signed. Defoe joined us again due to the Gerrard factor. I have no doubt about that.

The overreaction to this is off the scale.

Of course Scotland wouldn't be his first choice ffs. That's all he's saying. Pure honesty.

He also says he is "definitely" not closing the door.

Hardly anyone who we are linked with has playing in Scottish football as their "first choice". And as I have mentioned, for most of our players, playing in Scotland wouldn't be their first choice. SG is the main pull for many of them. Just like Wilshere is saying.

Do we really think the likes of Zungu dreamt of rocking up at places like Hamilton and Livingston ffs??!

The Gerrard factor can never be underestimated.

Given his injury record, I can see why the thought of playing against hammer-throwers on a crap plastic pitch at Livingston, Kilmarnock or Hamilton in the pishing rain on a freezing cold January evening is maybe not his first choice.

The overreaction to this is off the scale.

Of course Scotland wouldn't be his first choice ffs. That's all he's saying. Pure honesty.

He also says he is "definitely" not closing the door.

Hardly anyone who we are linked with has playing in Scottish football as their "first choice". And as I have mentioned, for most of our players, playing in Scotland wouldn't be their first choice. SG is the main pull for many of them. Just like Wilshere is saying.

Do we really think the likes of Zungu dreamt of rocking up at places like Hamilton and Livingston ffs??!

The Gerrard factor can never be underestimated.
Spot on here. Zungu said something similar back in July where he said he would love to play for Gerrard as he was his hero. Not Rangers but for Gerrard. What Wilshere says here is no different.

This has all the hallmarks of Warburton ditching every successful philosophy to show horn Joseph Barton Esq into an up to then successful team.

Every player at the moment, every single Rangers player is on message with Gerrard and his team.

Jack Wilshere just lost my vote, and if it was ever there in the first place, I would imagine Gerrard’s as well.

Genuinely not bothered by that interview one bit.

Would be interested because of Steven Gerrard and Scottish football wouldn't be his first choice.

How many people on here post about ridiculous targets then mentioning Gerrard having the pulling power to attract them?

People are obviously fine with the gaffer being a factor in a player signing. But I don’t think you’ll find many fans at all who want a player whose essentially saying they’d be signing just for Gerrard and not for Rangers, and that we wouldn’t be his ideal choice. Especially when those words have come from a player who spends more time watching games on TV like everyone else as opposed to actually playing the game.

If this interview is a reflection on what’s he’s like as human being - and I suspect it is - then he will not fit into our ethos or culture and is more likely to harm it. Therefore offers us nothing. One thing we do know is Ross Wilson is big on this - which brings me to the conclusion that this is not happening.

For those who don’t realise the importance of having good professionals and decent human beings representing the club - have a quick glance across the city or Manchester United. Much more importance should be based on these values rather than ability imho.

Spot on here. Zungu said something similar back in July where he said he would love to play for Gerrard as he was his hero. Not Rangers but for Gerrard. What Wilshere says here is no different.
Exactly mate.

And if you go through our team, most are here due to Gerrard and most, like Zungu, are on record as saying that - Kent, Goldson, Hagi, Aribo, Roofe etc. I don't have a problem with that.

If you’re not a Rangers supporter.
you fancy you can cut it at EPL level and you’re still young enough to do it (not even thinking of the money) why would Rangers be your first choice?
Id rather someone was honest than all the usual lines that comes out of every player we sign or are linked with... massive club, huge fan base, always looked at results blah blah blah

I’m glad he was honest too, but more because it makes it absolutely clear that he’s not worth pursuing, especially for huge wages. He’s just got a bit of a nerve saying the door isn’t closed immediately after saying that, as though we’d still be desperate to take him when he was released in September and is still going to be sitting on his arse without a club in December.

I'd say the likes of Goldson, Aribo, Zungu, Defoe, Kent, Roofe, Hagi are generally here due to Gerrard.

There are very few of our first team who would have playing in Scottish football as their "first choice". And that is totally understandable.
It is. Saying it in an interview as you're looking for a club isnt.

I think he's just a bit thick.

All he has to say was something like.. "Rangers are a massive club, one of the biggest in the UK and have Champions League aspirations. With Gerard being there, he's a manager I could learn a lot from, that interests me for sure, but there are other teams that interest me as well that complete in bigger leagues than Rangers"

Honesty from footballers is a refreshing thing. Fair play to him.
Not questioning his honesty. I'm questioning his desire to want to come and play for Rangers. If he's not overly fussed on being here, fair dos. We'll get on by without his medical costs just fine.

avoid, dont need him, would just disrupt the team
Don't need? Did you see our bench on Thursday?? As we have seen, all it takes is a couple of injuries and we are severely lacking. AND Steven Davis cannot go on forever.

Whatever happens, our manager will be continually looking to strengthen. He has to.

If he wants to try play at the highest level again then he won’t get a club better than ours at the moment to help him get there . If he’s not interested in that and only wants a big contract then I can only see him getting offered that from the mls or China . He’s living in cuckoo land if he thinks a decent prem or any of the stuff he top 4 nations clubs will take a chance on him with his injury record

Exactly mate.

And if you go through our team, most are here due to Gerrard and most, like Zungu, are on record as saying that - Kent, Goldson, Hagi, Aribo, Roofe etc. I don't have a problem with that.

Its not the same though is it. How many of them sat down and said it’s only Gerrard that interests them and ideally they’d rather go elsewhere? On top of that, how many of them made a statement like that on the back of being more famous for being permanently crocked than anything else?

It’s apples and oranges. People are happy Gerrard will be a factor in players coming here. No one will be happy we a player stating that they’re only here for Gerrard and because their preferred choices haven’t worked out.

Don't need? Did you see our bench on Thursday?? As we have seen, all it takes is a couple of injuries and we are severely lacking. AND Steven Davis cannot go on forever.

Whatever happens, our manager will be continually looking to strengthen. He has to.
He would be forever on the injury table.

I'm not saying it 'will' happen, but personally, I am not ruling out a move. We all know our manager is a big fan of the lad. Will be interesting to see how it pans out.

Much rather we found the next dominik szlobozlai type from an eastern european club, someone that would find it an honour to pull on our shirt. Always has been an overrated football wilshere, wee idiot

If we were to take a punt on a player with his history but the off chance that it might work out, I would want a lot of hunger and while Steven Gerrard is clearly a massive boost for our attractiveness to potential signings, his ‘honesty’ is disrespectful.

Back